Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546323 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #3200 on: August 16, 2019, 01:19:07 am »

Guided Tour: The cards could even be used to get more fodder for guided tour. imagine trashing a $5 to get a bridge, ironworks, village, and smithy.

Bridge, Ironworks and Smithy all have the same cost so you'd only be able to gain and play one of them.

True. I missed that part. That definitely makes it weaker. Still, with a reasonable 2, 3 and 4 I think this is still a bit strong.

I think Gold is mainly what makes it too strong, especially with Gold gainers. Even without a way to fill your deck with Golds, Gold is usually a card you don't really mind trashing anyway. Also, the combination of Pyrrhic Victory with Guided Tour is really crazy. You only need to play Guided Tour once to suddenly have a huge advantage.

One of those gainers being Bag of Gold which is in every game with Guided Tour.

However considering what many other TFBs can do by trashing a Gold (usually netting you a province), I don't see gaining a bunch of actions along with it being overwhelmingly better, and this is a Prize we're talking about here.

I have a few ideas for nerfs for both cards at any rate

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: August 16, 2019, 02:30:23 am »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: August 16, 2019, 08:42:25 am »

Neat, though it might require some rewording so it's not broken when Knights are in the kingdom.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #3203 on: August 16, 2019, 08:43:57 am »

Digging your prize gainer. With Golden Mace, the "you are unaffected by them" clause:
if you played, say, a Militia, would you get the $2? or is it purely the spite effects of the attack that happened? or is that more to autodefend against attacks that are like "each player gains a curse"?

Or say you play Ambassador - what happens?

Neat, though it might require some rewording so it's not broken when Knights are in the kingdom.
Idk if this is an issue - only the top knight is face up, right? so only the top one can be played?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 09:17:51 am by spineflu »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: August 16, 2019, 09:33:10 am »
+1

Idk if this is an issue - only the top knight is face up, right? so only the top one can be played?

Physically speaking, only the top one can be played simply because you aren't allowed to know what the other ones are (other than memory of what's been gained or not). But I'm pretty sure the other Knights are still "in the supply"; so the instruction is telling you to play them; and there's not a rules requirement to be able to see or find a card in order to play it. So it should be worded to somehow specify the top card of each pile.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: August 16, 2019, 12:52:18 pm »
+1

Knights is a case where maybe game-systems-rules does cover it, maybe, but it's worth rewording anyway for clarity. I did totally pick "differently named" to try to solve this exact problem so someone wouldn't try to resolve 9 Witches but then whoops the Knights have different names!

Ambassador seems rather unambiguous to me, if you Pillage me and I Moat you, I don't show you my hand then refuse to give up any cards, I just totally ignore your card's instruction about "reveal"ing something.  You do not reveal any cards when Ambassador tells you to.  No one gains any cards because you didn't reveal a card.  So that's 1 attack in the cardpool that doesn't work out but that's fine.
"Unaffected" means you ignore instructions on the card instructing you to do something, including vanilla bonuses which are shorthand for that. 

The weird thing about my submissions is that if either one was made to be a part of the game, then I suddenly wouldn't want the other one to be part of the game.  In terms of balance Volatile Alchemies might still be o.k. with Golden Mace in the game, but in terms of interesting gameplay Golden Mace would become the most boring, on the nose selection for an early Volatile Alchemies play, "oh, no Attacks, gain a Silver".  All of the other prizes raise more interesting questions about which prize to hand out first, I think.  If I'm overestimating the usefulness of early Diadem or early Bag of Gold, still, you get 1 step closer to the tough choices with Golden Mace off the table.

The more I think about it Golden Mace is a dud a -lot-.  I was trying to be creative, not balanced, like the instructions said though  ^^.  Maybe I can come up with an even better one.  I like the idea of Diadem type cards that can't use their special ability in some Kingdoms but it's o.k. because they are part of a prize pile, those interest me more than cards that are suited to the prize pile for multiplicity or power reasons.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 12:55:49 pm by popsofctown »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #40: Prize gainer and Prize
« Reply #3206 on: August 16, 2019, 03:10:52 pm »
+1

A remodel variant that can give you a Prize instead if you trash something expensive enough.

A powerful Courtyard variant. Each existing Prize fills its own niche: Need a Lab variant or something versatile? Trusty Steed. Need +Buys or cost reduction? Princess. Have more leftover Actions than you know what to do with? Diadem. Need a way to gain more Golds? Bag of Gold. Need a way to Attack? Followers. And now, if you need some source of terminal draw or a way to mitigate terminal collisions? Promenade has got you covered.

Version History:
Promote:
v1.0: Original version.
Promenade:
v1.0: Original version.
v1.1: Second topdeck is optional.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 04:33:11 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: August 16, 2019, 04:00:24 pm »

I think Promenade is going to feel more like a Smithy and less like an Embassy or Courtyard when your deck has Tournaments and/or sifters because that's how you got the Promenade to begin with.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: August 16, 2019, 04:08:11 pm »

Because my first submission, Treasure Chamber, had several issues, I come up with a new one:

Safari
Type: Action
Cost: $6
+2 Cards
+1 Action
+1 Buy

Reveal your hand. If you have 7 or more different named cards in hand, trash this and gain a Prize (from the Prize pile) or a Gold.

Trophy
Type: Victory - Prize

Worth 2 VP per Prize you have (including this).
(This is not in the supply.)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 04:15:46 pm by King Leon »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: August 16, 2019, 04:24:32 pm »

I like Safari a lot, it looks like a fun Horn of Plenty that doesn't take over your game's strategy as much.

I dislike Trophy a lot, it reads like an unnecessary punishment for trying to beat the Prize player with a different strategy, the nonprize player is going to have to buy at least an entire additional Province to close it.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #3210 on: August 16, 2019, 04:28:21 pm »

I like Safari a lot, it looks like a fun Horn of Plenty that doesn't take over your game's strategy as much.

I dislike Trophy a lot, it reads like an unnecessary punishment for trying to beat the Prize player with a different strategy, the nonprize player is going to have to buy at least an entire additional Province to close it.

The non-Prize player can also get Trophy to ruin the Prize player’s strategy. It is very similar to Castles and I actually like it, because it makes the run for Prizes highly competitive. The top-decking of Tournament is also a disadvantage for players who want to gain Trophy early.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 04:34:27 pm by King Leon »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: August 16, 2019, 05:08:13 pm »

The non-Prize player can also get a Prize gainer, then a prize named Trophy,....  makes Prizes highly competitive.

I think you're mostly conceding that the only question left is how heavily to play the Prize game, not whether to go Prizes.  That's ok some cards are like that people have different preferences about where they want things, but I value being able to win a game with Tournament on the board and zero Tournament gains sometimes personally.  I agree the prize gain sequencing may be nuanced.

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: August 17, 2019, 05:11:24 pm »
+1

Just a heads up, I'm going to have to start judging a bit early for this competition so final submissions should be in before Monday 08/19/19 at 01:00am EST (GMT-04). I believe this is the time this board uses. Also, this competition covers Prize gainers and Prizes and each reflects about 50% of your score. Any submissions with only one of these can only score half of your potential points.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 05:12:55 pm by Kudasai »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: August 17, 2019, 07:35:29 pm »
+1

Knighting 2.0

Anyone think it works better thematically as Coronation? It at least looks better to me. Anyway twi changes here, plus wording changes. Only works once per turn and you have to trash at least $6 worth of cards.
I'll add Seat of Honor here later, changed quite a bit.
Seat of Honor 2.0:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 11:18:14 am by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: August 18, 2019, 11:31:07 am »
+1

Sorry for lack of images/uninventive names, hopefully I won't be judged too harshly on that! The idea is that this is the person who made the Prizes, don't think too much about it though...

I liked the idea of a Remodel because it interacts well with some of the prizes, especially Bag of Gold so that's cool. A non-terminal prize gaining remodel seems pretty crazy but it can't trash Gold into Province which I think is a pretty big downside. Perhaps it needs to topdeck the Prize instead of gaining it to hand, but I thought I'd go for the crazier version even though I'll probably get marked down for it. I tend to make remodels on the stronger side in situations like this because I think they're fun. Originally it gained a Prize when it trashed something costing $6 or more but that gives a big advantage to whoever gets Princess because then they can start turning things into Provinces if they want, so I restricted it to Gold. Obviously now it can turn non-Gold $6's into Province but those aren't too common and it's nice to have a card play differently when certain other cards are around.

Throne (bad name sorry) Kings Courts other Prizes and other non-supply cards as well as any cards with empty Supply piles. It doesn't work with Diadem or very well with Princess unfortunately but I'm not too bothered about that, the Prizes aren't very balanced to begin with. I think it's pretty cool because you probably want to get another Prize first even though this might be stronger later.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: August 18, 2019, 09:31:26 pm »

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: August 18, 2019, 11:48:14 pm »
+1

CHALLENGE #40 - KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE PRIZE!!!  *final submission*

Once you go through enough Burial Grounds, you might find some treasure (a Prize). Of course, you have to raze the burial grounds and then you can't use that as a sifter any more. And having one less Burial Ground makes it more difficult to activate. There are some games where you won't be able to activate this. With no other support, you have to play 5 Burial Grounds to get a prize. So, in a more than 2 player game with no support, you might not be able to get a prize. Of course support comes VERY often -- any card combination that reduces your hand size (opponent discard attacks, non terminal non drawers, trashers with village, etc) will help you get your beloved Prize.

I wanted to make a prize that seemed fair, that wasn't as luck based, and that felt like a little more of a cost to gain a prize. You either heavily invest in buying a bunch of burial grounds (and the fact that each one draws 3 cards first helps you line them up and makes it less luck-dependent), or you build a deck that can empty your hand. You also have to pay quite the cost to get a Prize, trashing this card after discarding your hand down to 0. Also, you probably want this card even if you can't get a prize -- it's a pretty nice sifter! But it really shrinks your hand size if you play other actions with it and the more you play the worse it gets.

I know this card looks strong, but in practice, you often have other cards in play before this card -- and that weakens this card. If you get the lucky, the best case scenario is, a slightly better lab (5+), then a forum(5), then a warehouse(3), a kind of strange cellar (2), then a discard your whole hand and trash for a prize. Most of the times, you won't get so lucky to use the first two you play as the lab and a forum in one turn.

Craftsman is a fun prize I've been trying to get to work as a card for a while. I wanted a card that could only gain one copy of each card in the supply. The elegant solution here is to set aside (in this case, trash) one copy of each card. However, if there were multiple craftsman they become a TON weaker because you are fighting with an opponent to gain copies of the cards. And you can't set aside one card per player because that limits the supply to much. This card concept really works best as a prize! There's some fun synergies with trash for benefits. There's an UNFUN synergy with salt the earth. Rather than work around that with an awkward that's not a province clause (that also limits the fun joy of remodelling or t4b-ing a province into a province and gaining it back with Craftsman), I just said, well this card combo will just be bad.

To be clear, Kingdom cards are the 10 cards you randomly add to the supply each game.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 11:54:10 pm by anordinaryman »

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: August 19, 2019, 12:59:36 am »

Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to think of something early this week, but rather than miss two weeks in a row, here are a couple of half-baked ideas (i.e. there's definitely room for improvement*, but hopefully there something interesting in these to work with):

Joust and Reinforcements

* I think Joust definitely needs a little work and hopefully Reinforcements is interesting even though it's similar to Royal Carriage (well, the same, except that it's becomes available significantly more often).

Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: August 19, 2019, 04:43:36 am »

Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to think of something early this week, but rather than miss two weeks in a row, here are a couple of half-baked ideas (i.e. there's definitely room for improvement*, but hopefully there something interesting in these to work with):

Joust and Reinforcements

* I think Joust definitely needs a little work and hopefully Reinforcements is interesting even though it's similar to Royal Carriage (well, the same, except that it's becomes available significantly more often).
Joust is much too strong and also should be an attack. It's also a stacking discarder, which is a terrbile idea - play 5 of those and your opponent won't have any cards left in their hand.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: August 19, 2019, 06:36:50 am »
+4

CHALLENGE #40 - KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE PRIZE!!! VERDICTS

Well, coming up with a Prize gainer is certainly no easy task. I've tried a few times with no success, so I applaud and admire everyone who participated in this weeks challenge. There were some very good cards to sort through. Anyways, I put an asterisk next to individual cards I liked. Runner-up, the honorable mentions and winner will be at the bottom!

Agora/Affluent Village by alion8me
Agora: Slowly down the gaining of prizes by having to navigate a Traveler Line is a neat idea. The sifting power of Agora will make this much faster though. Agora itself seems quite strong for $5. Draw+Coin is deceptively strong.
Affluent village*: A Villa that can be drawn dead and then played is certainly useful. I see this fitting in well with the prizes, but in terms of creativity, to me it fulfills the same role as Villa.

King's Accountant/Scrubland by pubby
King's Accountant: Nice to see another piling mechanic akin to Swashbuckler. Ultimately though I think this sets a very low bar for gaining prizes. By the 3rd play of KA you'll have a prize and a Coffer to spare. I think your original idea of requiring more Coffers was sound.
Scrubland*: Very interesting idea. Really changes the dynamic of how to play a Cursing board. Adding an additional Buy to the prize pool should help on boards without Buys. Even though this can essentially turn an extra Buy into 2VP, Princess can turn a extra buy into 1VP and do a lot more on top of that.

Village Fair/Master of Ceremonies by Commodore Chuckles
Village Fair*: Very clever requiring both a mono and deck diverse strategy to gain Prizes. I might be off here, but I feel this would strategically speaking be more interesting without the +Action. Possibly more balanced too as a Throne Room with an extra Action is very good and this will gain you Prizes down the road.
Master of Ceremonies: Certainly feels like a good Prize fit. Some people have made good arguments for this being overpowered, but since I'm judging this mainly on creativity I can mostly ignore that. :)

King's Quest/Golden Lance by Aquila
King's Quest: At first glance this seems like a pretty low bar for gaining Prizes, but that's deceptive. It essentially equates to $10, +2 Buys and a stop card clunking you up until you can get rid of it. I still think the bar might just be low enough that some players will get this to go off by shear luck. Your cards are always very thought out so I really hope I'm not missing something here.
Golden Lance*: Hyper, mega Treasure drawer! What an awesome card idea. Makes Bag of Gold much more attractive as well as the Silver gaining on Trusty Steed. Could lead to some very lucky, big draws, but in a Tournament game this would less likely. King's Quest much more so.

Uncanny Storekeeper/Erect by spineflu
Uncanny Storekeeper*: There's nothing more satisfy then playing Treasures during your Action phase! This mostly can be seen as play three of these and gain a prize. This can lead to scaling problems with games of 3+ players. Even if you fall short of getting three for Prizes, US still seems like a very useful card.
Erect: In terms of creativity it's just a remodel with +Action that can turn itself into something if it duds near the end of the game. Putting this back into the Prize pile might be a more interesting twist.

Dragon Fight by pst
Dragon Fight*: Really interesting concept. I can imagine how intense going though this process would be. Like fighting a real dragon maybe! It really makes use of the Prizes $0 cost. The more Prizes you have, the less cards you have to win the fight. Albeit Prizes can be used for Copper. Trashing all of your cards might be rough, but I can also see where it could be used as a trasher.

Sanctification/Rematch by faust
Sanctification: Neat idea! Seems to add a lot of value to Gold as it will usually be the most expensive and accessible card early that also has value in your deck.
Rematch*: I like to top bit quite a lot. Very interesting idea. The bottom part also, but I could easily do without it, but then again it solves to problem of one player having the only extra Buy or Village.

Inner Court/Half of the Kingdom by 4est
Inner Court: Hard to find balance issues with a card that has a value assigned to players within the game. :) I feel Mountain Mass is only once per game for a reason. Having to do this 6 times may be tedious, but that depends on the play group I guess. Prizes that gain like Half of the Kingdom, Bag of Gold, etc will be in high demand given the debt.

Half of the Kingdom: Seems like a pretty strong card. Cards that gain only one $5 are already pretty good. With Prizes and the good amount of gaining, the 5VP seems almost guaranteed.

Rat King/Frog by grrgrrgrr
Rat King: Interesting use of Rats! With so much cantrip trashing all players should eventually end up with pretty clean decks. There could be some very unfortunate hiccups along the way though.
Frog Prince is certainly a good card and it does what it does well. Requiring another Prize in hand is interesting, but some games you only get one prize. If that one prize if Frog then you just did all that work for a Copper. But maybe that's what your getting at with naming this Frog?

Horse Show/Archivist by Fragasnap
Horse Show*: Very interesting card! I like the layers of complexity this brings. I'm afraid the inclusion of $4 and $5 cost Treasures will makes this absurdly powerful though and easy to gain Prizes.
Archivist*: Trashing, drawing and $ all on the same card and you make it seem very balanced! Very nice!

Crusade/King's Favor by naitchman
Crusade*: Very nice mechanic for delaying the player with the first Prize more than the second. The no Copper clause will work well with slowing down the pace of Prize gaining.

King's Favor: This depends highly on what the $4 cost card is. A choice of two cards might make this more viable. Of course I'm just speaking in general as I'm not judging the Prizes in how often they are useful. I do like the concept a lot, but I do feel like it is missing something. Maybe if there was a way to guarantee what kind of card the restricted card will be. Draw comes to mind and would certainly make the first play of King's Favor really good.

Pumpkin Contest/Mother of Dukes by majiponi
Pumpkin Contest: I'm not very familiar with the $6P price point, but it seems like a fair price for a Prize.
Mother of Dukes: Essentially does a portion of what Tournament does. Does enable Estate pile out strategies though.

Pyrrhic Victory/Guided Tour byNoMoreFun
Pyrrhic Victory*: $4 cost for a one shot Prize. Really neat idea! I can see a lot of interesting play arising from the shuffling of Prizes. Some Prizes may have more value at certain times in the game than others depending on the board. Assessing that would be a lot of fun.
Guided Tour: One of my favorite prizes, but I do think it is very over powered. Dropping the gaining would do a lot to address that and help in situations where you may not want to gain certain cards. So dropping it could also buff it. :I Really cool name too!

Volatile Alchemies/Noble Deflect? by popsofctown
Volatile Alchemies: Interesting idea. Certainly makes people stop and think about if they are ready for a card they may not need versus just blinding rushing the Prizes. All the prizes are mostly useful, but not always. Take Diadem on a board with no Villages/Splitters. Will anyone even go for this knowing that will likely be the first card given out?

Noble Deflect: Hopefully I've assumed correctly that this is your intended submission and not Golden Mace. There's some interesting stuff in here but ultimately I think trashing Prizes isn't very fun.

Promote/Promenade by Gubump
Promote: A bit like Replace but instead of an Attack it gains Prizes. Seems like a pretty low bar for the latter. Decks will generally have enough $5 cost cards that lining one up with Promote shouldn't be hard. You are losing a key part of your deck, but the Prize should make up for that. I do like that this moderate difficulty Prize gaining comes with an additional cost of Promote becoming less useful late game. Top decking Provinces is no fun, but shouldn't matter on your last turn.
Promenade*: Nice draw is a welcome sight in the Prize pile. The double top-decking is also neat and could be useful with some cards. Wishing Well and Will-O-Wisp come to mind.

Safari/Trophy by King Leon
Safari*: Lab with a Buy is useful. Should help getting those Prizes. 7 differently named cards in hand will always be achievable and should generally be within reason to achieve.

Trophy: A not always useful but neat addition to the Prize pile. I wonder if this is like a "rich get richer" thing though. Sure you can grab it to deny someone 6-8VP, but then you now have a dead card in your deck for little VP to show. In a 2 player game though, someone should at least get 4VP out of it, which is good.

Knighting/Seat of Honor by Fly-Eagles-Fly
Knighting: The on-gain trashing seems quite strong. You can slim down very fast with just a couple of these gains. It wouldn't be too hard to then pivote to Golds and other $4 cost to start getting Prizes.

Seat of Honor*: Might need a non-Duration clause for tracking. Other tracking issues could be problematic, but other than that I like this a lot. Both options are in a way trying to achieve the same goal, but in very different ways. Seems very fun.

Master Craftsman/Throne by Gazbag
Master Craftsman*: Another good value card that sees its usefulness taper off. The amount of Master Craftsman and Golds needed to make Prize gaining reliable seems like a fair price to pay.
Trone*: Very clean design! Not at all useful early on, but boy does it get good. Would be very tempting to get this as a first Prize even if that meant giving up another good Prize. But then maybe you end up with Throne and Princess. Sad times!

Burial Ground/Craftsman by anordinaryman
Burial Ground*: What an interesting card. A very strong card on it's first play that just gets worse and worse, culminating in the ultimate of humiliations, losing your whole hand. But alas, perhaps its all worth it for that sweet, sweet Prize. The default strategy of spamming Burial Grounds is a no-brainer, but I imagine there is a lot of room to outplay your opponents here. Using other cards that discard for instance.
Craftsman*: A Lurker that comes primed with one of each card. Its usefulness is only marginally board dependent, but even on the worst of boards, this will have already left its mark by removing one of each Kingdom card. The setup clause is just beautifully made for a Prize.

Joust/Reinforcements by scolapasta
Joust: Like faust said, this has an Attack-esque quality to it. I don't believe this was intentional though so I'll judge based on what I believe you intended for the card. Even with fixing that, this is roughly a $4.5 value even without the prize gaining. It's a very interesting idea though.
Reinforcements: A Royal Carriage that puts itself back on the Tavern mat is certainly useful. Not a lot of difference between the two beyond that.

I just want to again emphasize that this was a tough challenge and I appreciate everyone's entries. If I didn't judge someones card well its likely not because I thought it was a bad card or design, but more that it just didn't have the qualities that I think a good prize gainer should have. I can go into more depth on this later if anyone likes. Anyways, on to the awards!!!!

Honorable Mention: faust
Honorable Mention: Commodore Chuckles
Honorable Mention: Gazbag
Runner-up: Fragsnap
Winner: anordinaryman
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 06:38:29 am by Kudasai »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: August 19, 2019, 10:23:45 am »
+2

Congratulations, anordinaryman!

In case any of you are curious, here's what my rationale for the Prize condition was for my entry, Promote:
1. is generally one of the card costs you'd least want to trash with a Remodel variant, since there are so few cards that cost ; lets you get -costs, and lets you get -costs, but trashing a usually just gives you the same thing trashing a would, but means that you trashed a better card than necessary.
2. Most of the existing Prizes have a power level of a ~-cost card, and my Promenade was designed with that power level in mind as well.

I will admit that I realized after the fact that Promote is kind of underpowered and overpowered at the same time, though. Too easy to gain Prizes, but is just a worse Replace when you don't gain Prizes. I kind of forgot that Replace existed when I made Promote.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 10:31:01 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: August 19, 2019, 11:56:41 am »
+4

Thank you so much! I really appreciated this contest, it made me think a lot about Dominion and balance and game-design. I hope this next contest can inspire people as yours inspired me.

We're going to take aim at one of the more common complaints of Dominion:

CHALLENGE #41 - DOMINION IS NOT SOLITAIRE
Design a card or card-shaped thing that has non-attack player interaction baked into the mechanics of the card/card-shaped thing. I'd prefer original ideas of player interaction, so simply making a new artifact isn't likely to win this contest, but who knows, maybe if the interaction is interesting enough, it could win!

One of my favorite card concepts is Contraband. Lovely player interaction with non-obvious choices for what to limit what your opponent can buy. Can they afford a province this turn? What action card do they really need? Contraband pushes Dominion towards games being different depending on who is playing, rather than just what the Kingdom is. Contraband is too weak to often be useful, but the concept itself is tight. Some other cards with interesting interactions include Council Room, Lurker, Embargo, and Advisor/Envoy. Yes, Embargo would count for this contest.

I really don't want to mess up anybody's entries again. 24 hours before I start judging, I will make a post that has all the current entries. If I have made any mistakes, you will have 24 hours to reply to let me know my mistake (or make new submissions / submit new post updates to old ones). Once I make that post, I will not read anything before that post, so editing past posts will not help.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 12:35:09 pm by anordinaryman »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #41: Non-Attack Interaction
« Reply #3222 on: August 19, 2019, 12:24:16 pm »
+4

The set aside clause is to prevent an infinite loop with Band of Misfits variants.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 04:22:50 pm by Gubump »

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: August 19, 2019, 12:25:38 pm »
+2

Joust and Reinforcements

Joust is much too strong and also should be an attack. It's also a stacking discarder, which is a terrbile idea - play 5 of those and your opponent won't have any cards left in their hand.

Joust/Reinforcements by scolapasta
Joust: Like faust said, this has an Attack-esque quality to it. I don't believe this was intentional though so I'll judge based on what I believe you intended for the card. Even with fixing that, this is roughly a $4.5 value even without the prize gaining. It's a very interesting idea though.
Reinforcements: A Royal Carriage that puts itself back on the Tavern mat is certainly useful. Not a lot of difference between the two beyond that.

Joust: You are both absolutely correct and that's what I get for trying to come up with something at last minute! (you'll notice my entry got in with just 24 seconds to spare!)

Reinforcements: Yeah, it's too similar to Royal Carriage. I do like the idea of a Prize that is always available as a Reserve; just need to tweak it so it's different enough from Royal Carriage...

I will continue tweaking these in my thread to see if there's anything useful to glean.

Actually seeing this week's contest, maybe there's room for a fixed up Joust this week! :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 12:27:43 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: August 19, 2019, 12:40:42 pm »

I wasn't too happy with either Noble Deflect or Golden Mace, I just wanted something I hated less than the Mace.

Trashing prizes is indeed sucky that was a "keep the game from having infinite length" clause as seen on Salt the Earth.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.