Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546318 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #3150 on: August 13, 2019, 03:22:07 pm »
+2

I've noticed that my submission has some similarity to spineflu's. I think it's still different enough to be interesting.

Sanctification
$4 - Event

Name a Prize. Each other player may trash a card from their hand, then you may trash a card from your hand. If anyone trashed a card costing more than each other trashed card, they gain the named Prize from the Prize pile.
I wanted to make a Prize gainer that doesn't necessarily make you want to go for the best Prize first. This is an attempt at that.

Rematch
$0* - Action/Reaction/Prize

+1 Action
+ $2
Put this on top of your deck.
-
At the start of any player's cleanup, you may put this from your hand into their discard, to put a Prize they have in play into your discard.
(This is not in the supply.)
Still, sometimes it's grating if your opponent snatches a super good Prize. Well, now you can get back at them. But this is also quite decent on its own, if you have overdraw.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 03:23:59 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #3151 on: August 13, 2019, 03:58:06 pm »

I've noticed that my submission has some similarity to spineflu's. I think it's still different enough to be interesting.

Sanctification
$4 - Event

Name a Prize. Each other player may trash a card from their hand, then you may trash a card from your hand. If anyone trashed a card costing more than each other trashed card, they gain the named Prize from the Prize pile.
I wanted to make a Prize gainer that doesn't necessarily makes you want to go for the best Prize first. This is an attempt at that.
Ayyyy i like yours better. It's cleaner/tidier/doesn't make me bust out the reading glasses. I'm prolly gonna change my prizer.

Rematch
$0* - Action/Reaction/Prize

+1 Action
+ $2
Put this on top of your deck.
-
At the start of any player's cleanup, you may put this from your hand into their discard, to put a Prize they have in play into your discard.
(This is not in the supply.)
Still, sometimes it's grating if your opponent snatches a super good Prize. Well, now you can get back at them. But this is also quite decent on its own, if you have overdraw.
I see you too have been reading the secret history of prizes

Quote from: theory
There was another Prize that didn't work out. "+2 Actions +$2. When you discard this from play, you may put it on your deck." It was crazy. (link)
Good stuff. Curious to see just how crazy it gets.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: August 13, 2019, 04:11:06 pm »

I see you too have been reading the secret history of prizes

Quote from: theory
There was another Prize that didn't work out. "+2 Actions +$2. When you discard this from play, you may put it on your deck." It was crazy. (link)
Good stuff. Curious to see just how crazy it gets.
Huh. I actually haven't. Well I have, like some years ago, but I didn't remember this bit. The going on top of your deck thing was originally just to make sure you have the Reaction in hand after cleanup, and then I decided I could do other things with it.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: August 13, 2019, 04:21:56 pm »

revising my prize-gainer to a proper card

I'd been kicking around the idea for a card that let you play treasures early a la Storyteller / Black Market, and also maybe had some #hacks to work with Capitalism/Villa. Seems like a good opportunity to put a minigame like that in so :

Uncanny Storekeeper • Action • $2^
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
You may play a treasure card from your hand, then if you have three or more treasure cards in play and you haven't gained a prize yet this turn, gain a prize of your choice from the prize pile.

A prize is a solid enough reason to buy into potions, right? I picked three so even if you don't win the split you can still get prizes (except in 4-player games, in which case you'll wanna lean on some #hacks to get your prize)

Thematically, I was feeling kind of a Gremlins / Monkey's Paw kinda vibe to a potion-cost peddler. Maybe that dude that gives cursed Frogurt from the simpsons.

link to my original entry post w both prizer + prize
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 04:52:25 pm by spineflu »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: August 13, 2019, 04:44:57 pm »
+3

Most of these are better designs than Tournament tbqh

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: August 13, 2019, 04:47:00 pm »

I am lazy and I know it. But my idea was so simple and still amazing, that I will give it a try. I combined both parts of contest #40 into a single card-shaped thing. This is the Small Castle of Prizes. Actually a Tournament variant at the cost of the opportunity to pick the first Prize. Be prepared for:

Treasure Chamber
Type: Action - Prize
Cost: $0*
+1 Card +1 Action
Gain a Prize (from the Prize pile) or a Duchy.
(This is not in the Supply.)

I don’t think this works. It gives the first player to get a prize a HUGE advantage because Tournament gains prizes to the top of deck and can draw them, so you would be able to gain this and another prize in the same turn.

The second prize goes to your discard pile, instead of being available immediately.

But the “winner” would get the free Prize gainer and followers or something. I just think it gives too much advantage to the player who gets the first Prize.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: August 13, 2019, 06:18:08 pm »

The intention for Master of Ceremonies is that, unlike Band of Misfits and Overlord, it can also become cards whose piles are empty. If the pile is mixed, it can become any Action card from that pile.

I'm surprised you didn't add a "You may call this from your tavern mat at the start of your buy phase for +$1" (or similar) to it so it can't get trapped impersonating a reserve card like BoM / Overlord, or maybe a "if you would trash this, return it to the supply pile" to prevent necromancer/lurker shenanigans

Those would both add way too much complication to address situations that would not come up often.

This is too swingy, especially in games with Cursers. If both players have 5 Curses, there's a 15-point swing for whoever gets this.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 06:27:18 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: August 14, 2019, 01:49:04 am »

Still working on my prize getter but here is my prize:

The prizes provide versatility for engines, three payload $ cards, and a payload attack card. The two major types of cards missing were trashers and gainers. Trashers as prizes have some issues, but Gainers -- now that's something I can do something interesting with! Craftsman is a solid implementation of an idea I've been working on for a while: I want a gainer that can only gain one copy of each card, so it forces variety. But tracking it involved tokens or some complicated maneuver. Then I realized, I could just trash one copy of each card and gain from the trash! This solution completely falls apart with multiple Craftsmans. Either you have to trash the cards multiple times (will lead to strange, probably un-fun, pile outs) OR you only trash the cards once and then Craftsman can no longer gain you a copy of each card, boring. So, this is a card that simply has to be a prize.

There's some exotic synergies you can get with remodelers and trash for benefits. Salt the earth combos with this too strongly -- I'm not sure if it's worth designing around that. I definitely don't want to say "not a victory card" because sometimes there's fun victory cards in the supply (Nobles) that you'll want to gain with this and i don't want to prevent that. I could said "that is not a province." What about Colony? Is it worth designing against the 3-card combo of Prize-winning card, Salt the Earth, and Colonies? I think the gain to hand isn't too powerful and competes nicely in power with the other prizes. But is that with the +1 action to much? I feel like it's good, but would love some thoughts!
Looking for feedback for this!

My prize winner is not final yet, but this is what I'm thinking about:

Contest - costs: 5
+2 cards, +1 buy.
You may discard 2 differently named cards costing 5. If you do, gain a prize to the top of your deck.
Action.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 01:51:53 am by anordinaryman »

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: August 14, 2019, 02:17:06 am »

This is too swingy, especially in games with Cursers. If both players have 5 Curses, there's a 15-point swing for whoever gets this.
Good point. I'll change it to only count Curses you have that your opponent doesn't have.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: August 14, 2019, 06:08:06 am »

Good point. I'll change it to only count Curses you have that your opponent doesn't have.
Do you mean how many more curses you have than your opponent?

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: August 14, 2019, 06:25:17 am »

How's this for a prize, pulled it from either Nocturne or Cornucopia secret histories, I forget which. Might be a bit weak, but I like the idea.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: August 14, 2019, 07:11:30 am »

How's this for a prize, pulled it from either Nocturne or Cornucopia secret histories, I forget which. Might be a bit weak, but I like the idea.

I think you need to specify the order -  is it Action 1-Action 1-Action 2-Action 2 or Action 1-Action 2-Action 1-Action 2? If it's the former, do you choose the second Action before or after resolving the first?

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: August 14, 2019, 09:20:44 am »
+1

How about this:

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: August 14, 2019, 10:09:37 am »

How about this:

Recommend just combining Remake with Throne Room wording:

Do this twice: You may play an Action card from your hand twice.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: August 14, 2019, 10:12:06 am »

How about this:

More nitpicking: Since you can choose the order of your cleanup, the current wording makes it technically possible to clean up Seat of Honor first ("if you didn't" triggers) and then to clean up the played cards, resulting in all of them being put on top of your deck.

Possibly more concise wording:
Reveal up two two Actions from your hand. Do this twice: Play them in any order.
-
When you discard this from play, choose one: Put this onto your deck, or put the Actions played with this onto your deck.

PPE: First part was also suggested by Gendo, I see. My version keeps the (I think) intended behaviour.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 10:13:14 am by faust »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3165 on: August 14, 2019, 10:16:47 am »

You probably almost always want to topdeck Seat of Honor instead anyway... unless your deck is really inconsistent. So perhaps just simplify the wording to just topdeck Seat of Honor when it's discarded, rather than giving the choice.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: August 14, 2019, 10:32:00 am »
+2

Here are my submissions this week, once again taking some inspiration from my favorite Dominion expansion.  My Prize-getter, Inner Court, is a Landmark with a bidding mechanic, similar to Mountain Pass.  This makes Provinces worth an extra 1 VP to further incentivize players to gain Provinces (and to act as a consolation prize for not winning Prizes).  The one who buys the Province decides which Prize will be put up for auction and then players bid, with the winner taking Debt and gaining the Prize onto their deck.  There will be lots of strategic decisions here, deciding when to gain Provinces, which Prizes to put up for auction when, how much to bid, and when to pass and let others take the Debt. 

A few major benefits of Inner Court over Tournament, that swingy bear of a card: Who gets which Prizes isn't determined by who lucks out first drawing Province and Tournament together, but instead anyone can gain the Prize they want, they'll just have to pay for it.  Secondly, the Debt levels the playing field, making it a bit harder for them to gain the next Province (and thus have bidding order power for the next Prize), unlike Tournament which usually snowballs the Prizes pretty hard for one player. 

My Prize, Half of the Kingdom, attempts to incorporate a few themes missing from the existing Prizes--gainers and Alt-VP.  The top terminally gains two differently named $5 costs while the bottom acts as a poor man's Fairgrounds, 5 VP if you have 15 differently named cards, otherwise nothing.  The halves interact with each other of course, and sometimes you're willing to take it for just one of the halves and not the other.  I tried to make the VP part not too swingy since only one player can get it, but still make the Action part worth getting it for.  Feedback is appreciated!

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: August 14, 2019, 10:40:03 am »

Here are my submissions this week, once again taking some inspiration from my favorite Dominion expansion.  My Prize-getter, Inner Court, is a Landmark with a bidding mechanic, similar to Mountain Pass.  This makes Provinces worth an extra 1 VP to further incentivize players to gain Provinces (and to act as a consolation prize for not winning Prizes).  The one who buys the Province decides which Prize will be put up for auction and then players bid, with the winner taking Debt and gaining the Prize onto their deck.  There will be lots of strategic decisions here, deciding when to gain Provinces, which Prizes to put up for auction when, how much to bid, and when to pass and let others take the Debt. 

A few major benefits of Inner Court over Tournament, that swingy bear of a card: Who gets which Prizes isn't determined by who lucks out first drawing Province and Tournament together, but instead anyone can gain the Prize they want, they'll just have to pay for it.  Secondly, the Debt levels the playing field, making it a bit harder for them to gain the next Province (and thus have bidding order power for the next Prize), unlike Tournament which usually snowballs the Prizes pretty hard for one player. 

My Prize, Half of the Kingdom, attempts to incorporate a few themes missing from the existing Prizes--gainers and Alt-VP.  The top terminally gains two differently named $5 costs while the bottom acts as a poor man's Fairgrounds, 5 VP if you have 15 differently named cards, otherwise nothing.  The halves interact with each other of course, and sometimes you're willing to take it for just one of the halves and not the other.  I tried to make the VP part not too swingy since only one player can get it, but still make the Action part worth getting it for.  Feedback is appreciated!

I had the same idea for inner court. oh well, you snooze you lose.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: August 14, 2019, 10:47:45 am »

I don't think this will cause you to get Provinces any sooner than normal. With good players, the Debt you have to take to get the Prize will neutralize its positive effect, so it doesn't really make sense to get Provinces for the Prizes. The extra VP I don't think will make greening earlier more viable either. So you'll get Prizes mostly when greening, and they won't a much of an impact on the game, except of course things that directly give you a VP edge, like Half of the Kingdom or Followers.

I don't have major complaints about this one except that it is in some cases trivially better to take this over Duchy with Tournament.

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: August 14, 2019, 11:12:22 am »
+3

I feel like in general, people are making their prizes way too powerful. Keep in mind the current prizes. Princess gives you +buy and -2 cost (can't be throned). It's good, but not an amazingly powerful card. Bag of gold gives a gold on top of your deck. Nice, but again not game-changing. Trusty steed and followers are great (probably worth $7 or more) but they don't absolutely break the game.

Master of ceremonies has no cost limit or nor supply limit. probably worth at least $8 (and you probably won't have terminal problems)

Craftsman pretty much allows you to gain any card and then play it. it might have diminishing returns, but prizes generally come at the end of the game so you probably won't be able to play it past its use anyway. Again, very very powerful.

Seat of honor can be better than kings court. You can TR 2 cards then top deck seat of honor to do it again next turn.

Winged sandals first option is better than champions (with the only caveat, that it's not permanent). Still way too game changing. Also combined with amulet, this can be crazy.

Prizes are supposed to be good, but they're not supposed to be crazy. Before any of you defend these cards just think; are there really that many situations that you would take a bag of gold, princess, diadem, or even trusty steed over these cards? And would they have the same effect? These cards are not only so good, they can work in almost any situation (unlike followers, which works better if there's no cursing or trashing, but not so good otherwise, or princess which is much better when there's no +buy).

P.S. Maybe it is just me. I just thought I'd put it out there.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 07:00:06 pm by naitchman »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: August 14, 2019, 11:23:03 am »

I feel like in general, people are making their prizes way too powerful. Keep in mind the current prizes. Princess gives you +buy and -2 cost (can't be throned). It's good, but not an amazingly powerful card. Bag of gold gives a gold on top of your deck. Nice, but again not game-changing. Trusty steed and followers are great (probably worth $7 or more) but they don't absolutely break the game.

Seat of honor can be better than kings court. You can TR 2 cards then top deck seat of honor to do it again next turn.

Prizes are supposed to be good, but they're not supposed to be crazy. Before any of you defend these cards just think; are there really that many situations that you would take a bag of gold, princess, amulet, or even trusty steed over these cards? And would they have the same effect? These cards are not only so good, they can work in almost any situation (unlike followers, which works better if there's no cursing or trashing, but not so good otherwise, or princess which is much better when there's no +buy).
Thanks, this was really helpful. For now, I'm going to change SoH to this:

Do this up to two times: play an action card from your hand twice. You may put any cards played with this onto your deck when you discard them from play.
Changes the order to a simple throned throne, and only schemes the played cards. I will probably change it further, maybe take out the scheming, or take out doing it twice. Thoughts?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: August 14, 2019, 11:26:53 am »

Do this up to two times: play an action card from your hand twice. You may put any cards played with this onto your deck when you discard them from play.
Changes the order to a simple throned throne, and only schemes the played cards. I will probably change it further, maybe take out the scheming, or take out doing it twice. Thoughts?

It has the accountability issue of first edition Throne Room; although it's also awkward to stick a "may" in there after saying "do this twice". Perhaps "do this up to twice"?

Also recommend adding "this turn" to the very end. As worded, you would be able to top-deck a Duration when it is discarded next turn, which is really weird for tracking.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: August 14, 2019, 11:42:22 am »

It has the accountability issue of first edition Throne Room; although it's also awkward to stick a "may" in there after saying "do this twice". Perhaps "do this up to twice"?

It already says that in the post you're quoting...

Master of ceremonies has no cost limit or nor supply limit. probably worth at least $8 (and you probably won't have terminal problems)

Craftsman pretty much allows you to gain any card and then play it. it might have diminishing returns, but prizes generally come at the end of the game so you probably won't be able to play it past its use anyway. Again, very very powerful.

Winged sandals first option is better than champions (with the only caveat, that it's not permanent). Still way too game changing. Also combined with amulet, this can be crazy.

Prizes are supposed to be good, but they're not supposed to be crazy. Before any of you defend these cards just think; are there really that many situations that you would take a bag of gold, princess, amulet, or even trusty steed over these cards? And would they have the same effect? These cards are not only so good, they can work in almost any situation (unlike followers, which works better if there's no cursing or trashing, but not so good otherwise, or princess which is much better when there's no +buy).

It's not just you. I agree full-heartedly.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: August 14, 2019, 11:45:16 am »

Also recommend adding "this turn" to the very end. As worded, you would be able to top-deck a Duration when it is discarded next turn, which is really weird for tracking.
It's not that weird since the discarding of the duration will coincide with the discarding of Seat of Honor. It gets strange when you play a Duration and a non-Duration though.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: August 14, 2019, 12:00:56 pm »

Fair point. Gonna withdraw Winged Sandals, change my Prize entry to

Erect • $7* • Action - Prize
+1 Action
Trash this or a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $2 more than the trashed card.
A remodel variant that can be its own trasher, and riffs on prizes costing $0* by costing a nontrivial amount instead.

link to my original entry post w both prizer + prize
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 11:17:31 am by spineflu »
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.