Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546939 times)

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #3025 on: August 05, 2019, 03:23:48 pm »

At the risk of being incredibly unoriginal, here is a Black Market/Captain hybrid:

Bootlegger (Action-Duration) [$5]

Now and at the start of your next turn: reveal the top three cards of the Bootlegger deck and play one of them, leaving it there.
At the end of your turn, move all cards revealed from the Bootlegger deck to the bottom.

---
Setup: make up a Bootlegger deck of non-Duration action cards that do not appear in the Kingdom.

Swingy? Yes. Broken? Probably. It might make a fun promo card, though. It costs less than Captain because you have little control over what cards you get to choose to play.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: August 05, 2019, 04:10:31 pm »
+3

Source
Type: Action / Duration
Cost: $4

At the start of each of your turns, you may turn this card by 90° clockwise for +$1, +1 Action, or +1 Buy. If this is upright after rotation, discard this.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 02:28:48 pm by King Leon »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: August 05, 2019, 04:19:23 pm »

I LOVE pst's card!!

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #3028 on: August 05, 2019, 04:33:46 pm »

Source

Add 4 Coin tokens to this. While any remain, at the start of each of your turns, you may remove a Coin token from here for +$1, +1 Action, or +1 Buy.

feel like you could almost do a thing where each option has like, a space for a coin token, and when you remove a coin you can't pick that option again, thereby protecting against having this be a cheaper hireling

edit: ah i see you edited it to get rid of the "I'm actually a cheaper hireling" option
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 04:35:09 pm by spineflu »

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: August 05, 2019, 05:17:17 pm »
+3

Here is my submission:

I wanted to do something that prevented cleaning up your cards. Originally, this didn't clean up any cards (including your hand) but then I realized that was too strong. This can work well with while in play effects (highway, groundskeeper, etc.). This works best if you're not drawing your deck every turn. Also when critiquing, note the downsides if you play this before a reshuffle (all your played cards miss the reshuffle).

To preempt people from saying that this is too strong compared to Outpost consider this: If you get a deck that can work with outpost (guide, or a well trashed deck) you can effectively double your turns for the rest of the game. If you have a deck that can draw settlement every turn then settlement doesn't provide a great benefit, since all your played cards can't be played again. If you can't draw settlement every turn, then while it will give you extra turns, it won't double your turns for the rest of the game.

update: changed cost to $7
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 06:20:07 pm by naitchman »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3030 on: August 05, 2019, 05:45:59 pm »

Here is my submission:

I wanted to do something that prevented cleaning up your cards. Originally, this didn't clean up any cards (including your hand) but then I realized that was too strong. This can work well with while in play effects (highway, groundskeeper, etc.). This works best if you're not drawing your deck every turn. Also when critiquing, note the downsides if you play this before a reshuffle (all your played cards miss the reshuffle).

To preempt people from saying that this is too strong compared to Outpost consider this: If you get a deck that can work with outpost (guide, or a well trashed deck) you can effectively double your turns for the rest of the game. If you have a deck that can draw settlement every turn then settlement doesn't provide a great benefit, since all your played cards can't be played again. If you can't draw settlement every turn, then while it will give you extra turns, it won't double your turns for the rest of the game.

I feel like its too strong to be priced at $5 without an additional restriction. Like if this read "+5 cards, go back to your Action phase" (which is essentially what its saying) thats like a $6 or $7 card. Maybe add a restriction where if its the second Settlement it does that?

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: August 05, 2019, 05:53:33 pm »

Here is my submission:

I feel like its too strong to be priced at $5 without an additional restriction. Like if this read "+5 cards, go back to your Action phase" (which is essentially what its saying) thats like a $6 or $7 card. Maybe add a restriction where if its the second Settlement it does that?

It's not quite +5 Cards. It's like what you said (in quotation marks) but with discard your hand first. I still definitely agree that it's too strong for just , though. I'd price it at or add an additional restriction.
I don't get what you said that I put in bold, though. Does what?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 06:58:08 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: August 05, 2019, 05:57:55 pm »

Here is my submission:

Edit: version 1.1 below
I don't know if it's worded like this but the idea is that you can veto someone's veto, so if I have played a veto, then play a Village, someone else discards a Veto from play to make me play something else, then I can discard my Veto to be able to play my Village.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 06:58:22 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: August 05, 2019, 06:08:56 pm »

Here is my submission:

It's not quite +5 Cards. It's like what you said (in quotation marks) but with discard your hand first. I still definitely agree that it's too strong for just [$5], though. I'd price it at [$7] or add an additional restriction.

Well right now, it's "If this is the first Settlement you played this turn", right?
and Night cards are inherently non-terminal?
So make the first one do nothing and the second "If this is the second Settlement you played this turn", which adds a treasure map-esque element to the card.

Here is my submission:

I don't know if it's worded like this but the idea is that you can veto someone's veto, so if I have played a veto, then play a Village, someone else discards a Veto from play to make me play something else, then I can discard my Veto to be able to play my Village.

Can you veto someone else playing a veto? I thought debt was kinda like potions, in that it was orthogonally priced from $
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 06:19:03 pm by spineflu »

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: August 05, 2019, 06:21:46 pm »

Here is my submission:

It's not quite +5 Cards. It's like what you said (in quotation marks) but with discard your hand first. I still definitely agree that it's too strong for just [$5], though. I'd price it at [$7] or add an additional restriction.

Noted. I changed the price to $7.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: August 05, 2019, 06:40:48 pm »
+2

Here is my submission:

As worded, you cannot Veto another Veto. isn't or less.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 06:57:55 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: August 05, 2019, 06:57:34 pm »
+1

Version 1.1. Added "from the supply" and the last sentence. Are those changes necessary?

Anyway, what I really meant was that you can use a veto to undo someone else's veto, but you cannot use a veto to stop someone else from playing a veto. That was actually unintentional, I just liked the way the other duration effect worked when the cost is debt. On that topic, what does anyone think on the price?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 06:58:38 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: August 05, 2019, 08:02:17 pm »

Source

Add 4 Coin tokens to this. While any remain, at the start of each of your turns, you may remove a Coin token from here for +$1, +1 Action, or +1 Buy.

Don't know if you care, but a card that uses Coin tokens doesn't fit well with the "Promo" part of the challenge.

I feel that the final "this" could be ambiguous, or at least it confused me. I assume that "this turn" is the "this turn" referred to previously (the turn you're on now, not the extra turn you're getting) but the way the sentence is structured, the focus is shifted to the extra turn, making it seem that "this turn" is referring to that instead. I would swap the clauses so that it's something like "do not discard your in-play cards during clean-up and then take another turn after this one." Maybe I'm the only one who found this confusing though.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 08:10:42 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: August 05, 2019, 09:15:38 pm »

I feel that the final "this" could be ambiguous, or at least it confused me. I assume that "this turn" is the "this turn" referred to previously (the turn you're on now, not the extra turn you're getting) but the way the sentence is structured, the focus is shifted to the extra turn, making it seem that "this turn" is referring to that instead. I would swap the clauses so that it's something like "do not discard your in-play cards during clean-up and then take another turn after this one." Maybe I'm the only one who found this confusing though.

Agreed; I can equally read either meaning... "this" could mean "the turn we're talking about now"; which is the extra turn; or it could mean the current turn.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: August 05, 2019, 09:31:04 pm »
+1

I decided to do something similar to Black Market. Gives you access to special piles, but also give your opponents access for a smaller period of time.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: August 05, 2019, 09:33:49 pm »
+2

Here's a probably bad idea I've wanted to share for a while.

Trade Vessel
Types: Action, Duration, Victory
+1 Card, +1 Action. Now and at the start of each player's next turn (including yours): They get +1 Buy. At the start of your next turn, if any other player gained at least 2 cards on their previous turn: +$1.
Worth 2VP if in play at the end of the game (otherwise worth 0VP).
A Market Square that gives everyone, including you, a Market Square next turn so it'll be easier to end the game.  If you can end the game this turn or if anyone else ends the game before your next turn, you get 2VP (if you end the game on your next turn, it gets discarded that clean-up and will be worth 0VP. Just call it insurance.).  If anyone else gains multiple cards (whether by using the free buy you gave them or not) you get a whole Market next turn.  Tracking card gains is usually annoying, but you only need to track when Trade Vessel is in play so it is never a surprise.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: August 05, 2019, 09:45:31 pm »
+1

Don't know if you care, but a card that uses Coin tokens doesn't fit well with the "Promo" part of the challenge.
I sort of forgot that part as I developed my idea (not the card this quote was referring to. Do you think it works?
I just realized that I was subconsciously influenced by Nope from Exploding Kittens. I hate that stupid game.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: August 05, 2019, 10:18:04 pm »

Agreed; I can equally read either meaning... "this" could mean "the turn we're talking about now"; which is the extra turn; or it could mean the current turn.

If you try hard you can read it the wrong way, but you really have to try hard. "This turn" always refers to the turn you are on. If I wanted to talk about the extra turn I would have followed Mission's precedent and written "take another turn after this one during which you do not discard cards from play during your cleanup phase". I'm going to leave it as it is because I think it's fine and I'd rather keep the order closer to outpost's wording.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #39: Design a Duration card
« Reply #3043 on: August 06, 2019, 12:23:26 am »
+3

Everybody else seems to have taken this challenge to be "design a complicated Duration card," so I'm going to deviate from that norm and post a simple but (hopefully) sweet card that still accomplishes something unique (being a Treasure - Duration card).

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:32:08 am by Gubump »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: August 06, 2019, 02:37:26 am »

Charlatan
$3 - Action/Duration/Attack

+1 Buy
+ $1
Until your next turn, at the end of each other player's buy phase, they choose a non-Duration card they have in play and exchange it for a card costing at most the same from the supply with a different type. At the start of your next turn: Gain a Silver to your hand.

v0.2: I have removed the per-buy attack as it was too wordy and potentially too crippling. Now it just happens once and in return, the on-play is a bit more powerful. Also some wording improvement (specifies "from the supply") and better tracking (limited to non-Duration).

Old v0.1:
Charlatan
$3 - Action/Duration/Attack

+1 Buy
Until your next turn, when another player buys a card, they choose a card they have in play and exchange it for a card costing at most the same as the chosen card with a different type. If they didn't, they return the bought card to the supply. At the start of your next turn: Gain a Silver to your hand.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 01:41:58 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #3045 on: August 06, 2019, 03:37:49 am »

I've decided Camp is more appropriate at 5

I toyed around with sample kingdoms, and most of the time this plays as far better than a 4 cost card. There are kingdoms where you have beggar, you won't buy this card probably. It depends on the kingdom whether this card is worth buying. But on the kingdoms this card is worth buying (there are actually a lot of them), it turns our this is very powerful for a 4 cost card. Especially since it ostensibly gets better with every single play. A lot of the time, the card ends up as +1card +3 actions with some bonus as the weakest it can be, and even that seems okay at 5.

I think Camp is really interesting, if a bit too powerful. I wonder if (outside this contest) it would be a little better with just +1 Action. Then you're only getting a Super Lab with your Camp'd Smithy instead of +3 Cards, +2 Actions.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: August 06, 2019, 03:40:08 am »

Wow, it's a $4 pillage that's reusable! Except, it doesn't actually discard cards. Instead, it maliciously havens them.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: August 06, 2019, 04:07:32 am »
+1

Wow, it's a $4 pillage that's reusable! Except, it doesn't actually discard cards. Instead, it maliciously havens them.
I think it's too much. First of all, the effect this has on the opponent's next turn is actually worse than Pillage; with Pillage, they at least have the chance to redraw the discarded card. More importantly however, this sets itself up to be stackable: play Customs one turn, and you will be able to attack with 2 Customs on the following turn. I think this is going to be too crippling.

From a tracking perspective, it's probably not a good idea to keep a bunch of cards from different players on the same card.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: August 06, 2019, 09:15:04 am »
+1

I think it's too much. First of all, the effect this has on the opponent's next turn is actually worse than Pillage; with Pillage, they at least have the chance to redraw the discarded card. More importantly however, this sets itself up to be stackable: play Customs one turn, and you will be able to attack with 2 Customs on the following turn. I think this is going to be too crippling.

From a tracking perspective, it's probably not a good idea to keep a bunch of cards from different players on the same card.

You can probably fix the tracking thing by putting an island-mat-style customs mat in. Everyone gets a customs mat, this makes people put things on their customs mat. Maybe even have like, slots, "A", "B", "C", "D", in the event there's a lot of these that come out, so you can keep track of which cards were hit by which Customs.

Also you could probably make this into a $6 super mean attack card by having them draw a card first (instead of you gaining a Spoils)

Although when Customs clears, they're probably set up for a mega-turn.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 10:15:00 am by spineflu »

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: August 06, 2019, 09:48:36 am »
+1

This should just be orange, not orange and white.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 327  All

Page created in 1.181 seconds with 21 queries.