Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546686 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #2925 on: July 27, 2019, 03:45:04 am »
+3

A Tribute/Courtier kind of thing. The wording is a bit unclear, to clarify I mean that types can get counted several times.
So when you do e.g. reveal 3 Coppers, it is a terminal Gold and when you do e.g. reveal a Smithy, Market Square and a Silver, it is:
+2 Actions
+
Trash a card from your hand.
This should be a Looter and an Attack. Which makes the self-combo a bit strong.
That's precisely why it does not have those types. Strictly speaking it is technically "wrong" but as you pointed out, it is necessary for balance reasons.
Well, but without the Looter type, there are no Ruins in the supply, so the attack part does nothing.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: July 27, 2019, 03:55:15 am »

That's obviously not the intention so the card could come with a FAQ that says, as there is no space on the card:
"In games using this, Ruins are in the Supply."

Another way would be counteraction instead of amplification, i.e. make Actions the trigger for trashing (and don't do anything with the Reaction trigger at all or something else).

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: July 27, 2019, 05:01:17 am »

Mercantile Village (Action) [$4]

+1 Card
+1 Action

Reveal your hand. For each Treasure in your hand, +1 Villager.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: July 27, 2019, 06:47:28 am »

(Updated with the Gubump's suggestions)

Donjon
$4 Action/Victory
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may discard a Victory card for +1 Card and +1 Action
1VP

I think, it should be priced similar to Mill. Boost for the initial economy, and probably good at endgame; self-synergy intended.
I agree. Mill is similar to Oasis/Secret Cave so without the 1VP it would probably be a $3. And this is roughly similar (better as you can discard non-dual-type green, worse as it can misfire) to Village.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: July 27, 2019, 07:39:27 am »

Slave Merchant
cost $2 - Action
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
+$1
You may play a Treasure.
You may buy a card.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: July 27, 2019, 09:32:07 am »
+1

Breeder by Commodore Chuckles
Breeder
$4 - Action
Heirloom: Pasture

+1 Action
Reveal the top 2 cards of your deck. If one has a type that the other does not, put them both into your hand. Otherwise, put one in your hand and the other back.
I am not sure why this was paired with Pasture. It makes it weaker than it would be otherwise, and this is already a kind of weak card. It also doesn't really give an incentive to keep Estates around.

Pasture makes it stronger, not weaker. If you reveal 2 Coppers, you can't put them both in your hand, but if you reveal a Copper and a Pasture, you can. Same thing for Estates: If you reveal a Copper and an Estate, you put them both in your hand.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: July 27, 2019, 10:30:43 am »

Mercantile Village (Action)

+1 Card
+1 Action

The card must itself provide some source of extra actions.

Your Mercantile Village only gives +1 Action itself, so I don't think this counts. It's also way too easy to get an abundance of Villagers with just one. I.e. it's way too strong for just .
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: July 27, 2019, 11:53:53 am »

Mercantile Village (Action)

+1 Card
+1 Action

The card must itself provide some source of extra actions.

Your Mercantile Village only gives +1 Action itself, so I don't think this counts. It's also way too easy to get an abundance of Villagers with just one. I.e. it's way too strong for just .

He’s right, it doesn’t count.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: July 27, 2019, 12:55:52 pm »
+2

Very well then - will change my entry to this.

Slum Village (Action - Reaction) [$4]

+1 Card
+2 Actions

———

When an opponent trashes a card, you may discard this from your hand, to gain a copy of that card from the Supply.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 01:01:15 pm by mandioca15 »

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: July 27, 2019, 03:41:54 pm »
+1

Theatre (Action, $4)
This card has the same types and abilities as the card on the Theatre mat, but gives an additional +1 Action when played.
---
Setup: Put a $2 costing Action that gives +1 Action unconditionally onto the tavern mat.

The idea is that this card reads identically to the card on the Theatre mat, but with "+1 Action" being replaced by "+2 Actions". With "unconditionally", I mean that cards like Pawn and Squire are not eligible. It is kinda tricky to phrase properly.

EDIT: Changed the wording to avoid compatibility issues. This is the original version:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 02:07:32 pm by grrgrrgrr »

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: July 27, 2019, 04:42:23 pm »

A Tribute/Courtier kind of thing. The wording is a bit unclear, to clarify I mean that types can get counted several times.
So when you do e.g. reveal 3 Coppers, it is a terminal Gold and when you do e.g. reveal a Smithy, Market Square and a Silver, it is:
+2 Actions
+
Trash a card from your hand.

I would drop the +1 VP for the Curse, because this could cause an endless stall situation where players can accumulate an infinite number of Victory points.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: July 27, 2019, 04:58:27 pm »
+1

That's obviously not the intention so the card could come with a FAQ that says, as there is no space on the card:

Another way would be counteraction instead of amplification, i.e. make Actions the trigger for trashing (and don't do anything with the Reaction trigger at all or something else).

To allow it to be a Looter and Attack, without being overpowered, what if it counted only 1 type per card? Something like:
"Choose one type from each card, and per type chosen:"

This means you would get exactly 3 things, but when cards are multi-typed you can select what you want most.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: July 27, 2019, 05:09:57 pm »

You’re right, Ironmonger does say it like Developing Village does. My bad.

I think it was a fine suggestion, though I'll likely keep the more brief +1 Card, since Ironmonger does have something similar.

That said, Developing Village could use "place the revealed card into your hand", while Ironmonger would need many more words since you in its case you can discard the revealed card, i.e. +1 Card is shorthand for one of two options.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: July 27, 2019, 05:28:28 pm »

Developing Village

I meant to comment on this card back when you posted it to your personal, card page, but I didn't have the time. Anyways, great looking card! This touches on an aspect of Dominion I wish I saw more with the official cards: the ability to switch your cards and thus your strategies during your turn. I like the very novel way this goes about it as well. Being able to switch a card from your hand would be very strong, so doing it blind from the top of your deck seems like a nice compromise.

Thoughts:
(1) I'd absolutely remove the overpay. It's neat, but doesn't really add anything. Especially now that it can act as a Village when played.
(2) The issue of fast pile depletion was brought up on your page and I have to agree that it is indeed an issue. Maybe this is something you like, but it could end games pretty fast. If you wanted to change it you could make it an exchange clause instead of trashing. It would function about the same. Example:

"Reveal the top card of your deck. You may exchange it for a differently named card with the same cost to your hand. If you do, +1 Action. If you don't, +1 Card."
(3) Even without the overpay I think this is a bit underpriced. Without the ability to be a village this could probably get away with being $2, but with that addition it probably needs to be $3 or $4. Not a big difference, but it would force players to be a little more thoughtful about diving on this pile. I guess upping the price could actually make this stronger though. Like if it were $3 it could be changed into Silvers on the fly. If it were $5 (for some reason) it could be a great Duchy gainer.

Anyways, really cool card. I'd like to try it sometime!

Thanks! Good feedback!

1. You're likely right, though the idea was that there will often be enough cases were you don't want to trash your card, and the overpay is a little bit of insurance so that you can still have it play as a village for a limited # of those turns. e.g. you reveal a Copper, clearly don't want a Curse, or you reveal a province. I almost want to have a poll, "should this card have overpay or not"? and see if anyone thinks it may be valid. :)

2. Sure. That discussion was for the first version of the card, where you a) could trash the card for a copy of itself and b) you didn't get +1 card if you didn't trash. So you would almost always trash, since for example, if you revealed a copper, trashing and gaining a copper to your hand was definitely better than keeping the copper on top of your deck. Only in some cases, e.g. an empty pile, you don't want to deplete the Provinces, etc, would you ever opt not to trash.

I was hopeful that this 2nd version actually mitigated that as you won't be trashing / gaining every time you play.

3. My thought was for $2, you could use it to "develop" your starting estates into these. And also to keep the price a little lower, so you would want to overpay for a Villager or 2. If I do end up dropping the overpay, it could make sense to up it to 3.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: July 27, 2019, 05:31:41 pm »

To allow it to be a Looter and Attack, without being overpowered, what if it counted only 1 type per card? Something like:
"Choose one type from each card, and per type chosen:"

This means you would get exactly 3 things, but when cards are multi-typed you can select what you want most.

Oh and I think the word you're looking for the name of this card is "forlorn". :)

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #2940 on: July 27, 2019, 05:49:23 pm »
+4

Hillside City
Action: $5
+1 Card
+2 Action
if you have an even number of cards in your hand: +1 Card
Who trashes the trashers?

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: July 28, 2019, 03:40:16 am »

A mildly playtested card from a fan expansion I'm working on.

Note: If you don't play any non-Night cards during your next turn, Bookkeeper stays in play. Bookkeeper will be discarded during the Cleanup phase of the turn in which you play a non-Night card.

This one can be phrased a LOT more easily. Do something like this:

Bookkeeper
Night/Duration, $5
The first time you play a card next turn, if it is an...
...Action: +1 Card, +2 Actions
...Treasure: +1 Buy, +2$
---
This is gained to your hand (instead of discard pile)

The card itself looks like a fairly decent Ghost Town upgrade. Sounds a bit weak for a $5 cost though.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 03:42:54 am by grrgrrgrr »

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: July 28, 2019, 04:23:57 am »

If measures like this are necessary, you should just not involve Ruins on this one. In fact, just make it not having any special interaction with Attacks and Reactions. It makes the card unnecessarily convoluted for something that occurs sparsely.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: July 28, 2019, 05:55:42 am »

Would this be a valid entry?

Madrasa
$4 - Action

+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action. You may discard each revealed card, to play an Action from you hand. Put the revealed Action card in your hand. Discard the remaining cards.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 05:59:07 am by faust »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: July 28, 2019, 09:57:27 am »

Madrasa
$4 - Action

+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action. You may discard each revealed card, to play an Action from you hand. Put the revealed Action card in your hand. Discard the remaining cards.

I don’t think so, because he said the card itself must provide the +actions. This only acts like a village when you have other action cards in your hand.

The wording seems convoluted... why not just +2 actions instead of +1 Action; you may play an action card from your hand?

Is the actual effect of this card the same as Farming Village but for action cards only instead of action and treasure?

Also, as worded, if you discard “each revealed card”; that includes the action card. So you discard it and then you put it in your hand?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 09:59:42 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: July 28, 2019, 10:49:48 am »

This one can be phrased a LOT more easily. Do something like this:

Bookkeeper
Night/Duration, $5
The first time you play a card next turn, if it is an...
...Action: +1 Card, +2 Actions
...Treasure: +1 Buy, +2$
---
This is gained to your hand (instead of discard pile)

The card itself looks like a fairly decent Ghost Town upgrade. Sounds a bit weak for a $5 cost though.

1. That doesn't function the same. Read my note.
2. Like I said, it's been playtested, and it's been worth in every game with it so far.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: July 28, 2019, 11:02:03 am »

Madrasa
$4 - Action

+1 Action

No, for the same reason Throne room isn’t valid. You could just say “you may discard each revealed card, for +1 action.” It works slightly differently, but it’s pretty similar.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: July 28, 2019, 11:09:07 am »

No, for the same reason Throne room isn’t valid. You could just say “you may discard each revealed card, for +1 action.” It works slightly differently, but it’s pretty similar.
That was my original idea, but it's a tracking nightmare.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: July 28, 2019, 11:11:32 am »

The wording seems convoluted... why not just +2 actions instead of +1 Action; you may play an action card from your hand?

Is the actual effect of this card the same as Farming Village but for action cards only instead of action and treasure?

Also, as worded, if you discard “each revealed card”; that includes the action card. So you discard it and then you put it in your hand?
The idea is that each card you reveal until you reveal the Action gives you +1 action. I think the wording still needs some optimization. But if it won't be permitted anyway then I might as well abandon it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: July 28, 2019, 11:25:53 am »

The idea is that each card you reveal until you reveal the Action gives you +1 action. I think the wording still needs some optimization. But if it won't be permitted anyway then I might as well abandon it.

Ahh.. yeah I see; but couldn’t tell from the wording. Could be “you may discard any number of revealed cards; for +1 action each.” Though it’s  still not clear about how to handle it if you discard the final card; the action card.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.