Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546482 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #2900 on: July 26, 2019, 12:01:06 pm »

Alright so I had this at $5 originally but I figured if you open 5/2 but your opponent doesn't, it's going to give the 5/2 player an unfair advantage, right? $4 is probably underpriced but gets rid of the 5/2 player problem

You could use that argument to say that every powerful card should actually cost instead...

$5 is also overpriced for a couple of the configurations:
• +1 Card +2 Actions
• +1 Card +$2
• +1 Action +$2

Well yes, if a card gives a lot different options, then it has to cost more than what any of those options by themselves would cost. If it has even one option that's worth , then it's too powerful for because it has other options also. So if you want it to cost , every option has to be too weak for a .

What would yall think about bumping it up to $6 and having the first choice be "choose two, the choices can be the same"?
That way you can have it be a money lab if you need that for some reason, or a market/festival, but it's out of reach of the 5/2 player, or also you can do weird shit like have it be +4 actions and you just stock up on terminals, for some reason. Then its mostly up against gold but has some solid modularity to play well in whatever deck.

Pretty sure this would be too strong for ... is generally not that much more expensive than , other than the difference of whether a lucky 5/2 player can open with it. If both sets were "choose 2", you could make a Lost City, an activated Conspirator (Grand Market without the Buy), a Market, a Lab-with-money...

I think a flat-out "+2 cards, +1 action, +" would be balanced at probably, your card would be way strictly better than that.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: July 26, 2019, 01:06:00 pm »
+2

I think a flat-out "+2 cards, +1 action, +" would be balanced at probably, your card would be way strictly better than that.
Balanced but boring. You do often buy a Lab (variant) when you hit $6 anyway.

These hyperflexible vanilla cards, often better than Lab (which is already a very flexible card that is good in most Kingdoms and only potentially outclassed by Village-Smithy-combo-draw), are sometimes proposed and I don't think that they are good in any way. Whatever the board lacks, they provide: be it draw, Buys, or Peddler-style economy.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: July 26, 2019, 01:13:49 pm »

Tropical Island by naitchman
Tropical Island
$5 - Action/Victory
Heirloom: Pasture

You may put this or a card from you hand onto your Island mat.
I don't think this needs Pasture at all. Also I think there's a good reason Island is hard to use as otherwise greening would be too easy. I'm not a fan of this one, sorry.
I don't think so. It provides draw power similar to Hireling, i.e. it is dead on play and thus takes time to pay off. Hireling increases your draw power by 1 per turn, Tropical Island increases your draw power by 1 per shuffle after each shuffle, conditional upon you having stuff to set aside.

Most of us don't mind crazy, overpowered, overdrawing engines so it is nice to have a card which can create virtual draw power in money or alt-VP decks. I don't think that it needs the VPs or self setting aside; getting rid of that woud be a sensible way to nerf the card while still keeping its main idea.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 01:14:59 pm by segura »

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: July 26, 2019, 01:30:44 pm »
+1

Here's my entry for this week:

Developing Village

An attempt at overpay for villagers.

It works as either a simple cantrip, or if you can "develop" the card you reveal, a Village (but possibly stronger, since you get to choose a card from he Supply).

(plus with the overpay, you can use those Villagers to sometimes have it be a Village even if you don't trash)

Changelog:
v0.1 - originally posted on my thread
v0.2 - initial post in challenge thread
v0.3 - fixed wording, increased cost, overpay benefit

Secret History:

Developing Village is overpay for Villagers, with some DNA from both Develop and Village. The first version did not give the extra action or card, but allowed you to gain a copy of the trashed card

Questions:

Main question is, what do you think about the overpay for Villagers? When I first designed this card, that is what I was trying to achieve, but it's not actually needed for this challenge, so I could consider removing it.

My idea was to have the villagers be attached to a card that isn't a quite a village, so that you would sometimes need to use the villagers (if you reveal a copper or a province, for example, and have 2 more terminals), but often not (which is why it's at least a cantrip and sometimes even a village). 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 01:16:22 am by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: July 26, 2019, 02:36:11 pm »
+1

Developing Village

It works as either a simple cantrip, or if you can "develop" the card you reveal, a Village (but possibly stronger, since you get to choose a card from he Supply).

(plus with the overpay, you can use those Villagers to sometimes have it be a Village even if you don't trash)

Changelog:

Secret History:

Developing Village is overpay for Villagers, with some DNA from both Develop and Village. The first version did not give the extra action or card, but allowed you to gain a copy of the trashed card

Wording nitpick; "overpay" should have "When you buy this, you may overpay for it".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: July 26, 2019, 02:45:54 pm »

Wording nitpick; "overpay" should have "When you buy this, you may overpay for it".

Sure; I'll make this change in the inevitable v0.3.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: July 26, 2019, 03:35:51 pm »
+3

Developing Village

Changelog:

Secret History:

Does the +1 card mean you draw the revealed card or the next card? I would change the wording to make it clearer. If you draw the revealed card, just say “put the revealed card into your hand,” and if you want to draw the next card, say “discard the revealed card and +1 card”
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: July 26, 2019, 03:56:29 pm »

Does the +1 card mean you draw the revealed card or the next card? I would change the wording to make it clearer. If you draw the revealed card, just say “put the revealed card into your hand,” and if you want to draw the next card, say “discard the revealed card and +1 card”

The intention is to draw the revealed card. It's either a cantrip, or a village where you've "developed" the card into something else.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: July 26, 2019, 05:50:07 pm »

Developing Village

Changelog:

Secret History:

ITT we criticize official cards!
Ironmonger uses scolaposta's choice of brevity over clarity.  A board with Ironmonger, Harem, and a more eloquent Developing Village would have all of these extra words with the same risk of a card being played different from the intention.  Increased risk, actually, the words on Developing Village would suggest that perhaps Ironmonger should work differently!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 05:52:01 pm by popsofctown »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: July 26, 2019, 06:22:37 pm »

You’re right, Ironmonger does say it like Developing Village does. My bad.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #2910 on: July 26, 2019, 06:28:30 pm »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: July 26, 2019, 06:46:48 pm »

Can probably cost $4; and might be weak then too... I guess it’s good in the same situations that Mission is good; but if you plan to buy cards; you basically can’t afford to be playing these.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: July 26, 2019, 06:49:19 pm »
+1

WITHDRAWN

Parish
Type: Action/Reserve
Cost: $5

+1 Card
+1 Action
Put this on your Tavern mat.
-
Directly after you finish playing an Action card, you may call this for +2 Actions.

Remarks
This card is obviously designed for engines with strong terminal draw (like Council Room, Hunting Grounds or Patrol). Unlike Bustling Village it is available from the beginning and you can save the +2 Actions in the case when your terminal draw does not collide with further Action cards. It started as +1 Card +1 Action +2 Villagers, but this was a way to strong, even for $5. Then I tried a Duration (cantrip this turn, +2 Actions next turn), which was too swingy and weak, because it often gave you the additional Actions, when you did not need them. I wanted something that gives you the possibility to get the +Actions now or later. So it became a Reserve card, a cantrip, which plays a Necropolis after any Action card. In contrast to Royal Carriage, it even gives you Actions when you play a terminal.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 05:04:30 pm by King Leon »

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: July 26, 2019, 07:53:32 pm »

This is a simplification of a similar card I have in Dominion: Greed.

Prophet
Types: Action
Cost: $4
+2 Cards. You may trash or discard a non-Victory card from your hand. +Actions equal to its cost in coins.
When you trash this, you may gain an Action costing exactly $5, putting it into your hand.
A sort of Lost City variant, I guess. Discard poorly timed stop cards for big +Actions. Use the gratuitous number of +Actions to tempo-trash Coppers. Trash Prophets later to transform your deck. Hopefully have some use for those +4 Actions when you Prophet a Prophet.

This started as an attempt to make trash-for-benefit:+actions work. It didn't work well. It tempo-trashed Estates and then was ignored.
Being able to discard cards as well was good, but it turns out that the world's best Estate trasher that can also discard Provinces for +8 Actions is pretty silly. I could fix it by disallowing either Estates or Provinces, but it works pretty well when it can't touch either. There's a lot you can do when all those cards in your deck can be discarded for +Actions.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #38: Design a Village
« Reply #2914 on: July 26, 2019, 08:16:36 pm »

A mildly playtested card from a fan expansion I'm working on.

Version History:
v1.0: Original version.
v1.1: Simplified wording.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 08:39:00 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: July 26, 2019, 08:48:20 pm »
+2

(Updated with the Gubump's suggestions)

Donjon
$4 Action/Victory
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may discard a Victory card for +1 Card and +1 Action
1VP

I think, it should be priced similar to Mill. Boost for the initial economy, and probably good at endgame; self-synergy intended.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 09:33:02 pm by grep »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: July 26, 2019, 09:06:21 pm »

Donjon
$4 Action/Victory
+1 Action
+1 Card
You may discard a Victory card. If you do, +1 Action, +1 Card
1VP

I think, it should be priced similar to Mill. Boost for the initial economy, and probably good at endgame; self-synergy intended.

1. Cards come before Actions.
2. Needs a dividing line between the Action and the Victory, like Mill.
3. The proper wording in 2nd edition is "You may discard a Victory card for +1 Card and +1 Action."
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: July 26, 2019, 09:51:11 pm »
+2

Prior Entry (withdrawn)

Merchant's Village
Action - $3
+2 Actions
+$1
You may reveal a Silver from your hand for +1 Card
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 08:23:31 am by NoMoreFun »

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: July 26, 2019, 10:54:24 pm »
+4

CHALLENGE #38 - CREATE A VILLAGE - SUBMISSION:

Can make a good amount of coin, but takes a bit to get to that point (at least 2 Metropolis' at $6 each). "+1 Card and +3 Actions" is arguably a really good $4 cost, but very weak at $6. Situations may exist where grabbing one of these validates the cost (an absence of other Villages etc), but this really shines with big engine play.

Quote from: Kudasai
+1 Card
+3 Actions
+$1 per card you've played (including this) after the previous Metropolis played this turn.

Changes:
v0.2 - Cost reduced from $8 to $6, Buy removed, and gives +$1 per card played in between Metropolis plays.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 06:05:06 pm by Kudasai »

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: July 26, 2019, 11:40:22 pm »

Here's my submission this week.  Brewery is an old card I worked on a while back, when I was first getting into Dominion.  It's a weird hand-discarder that provides payload and some sifting, sort of like a non-attack Minion that does both things.  Letting you keep your best cards before discarding helps you plan out your turn a bit more.  Like Minion, Brewery appreciates +$ Actions and doesn't play quite as well with Treasure payload.  Multiples are nice for sprinkling throughout your turn, but you'll want more than just Breweries as you can't keep more than one in your hand after playing your first, since you have to discard at least one card.  Cheers!

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: July 27, 2019, 01:18:44 am »
+1

CHALLENGE #38 - CREATE A VILLAGE - SUBMISSION:

Wanted to try and make an $8 cost village. Can make a butt-load of coin, but takes a lot to get to that point (at least 2 Metropolis' at $8 each). Probably not worth going for on fast boards, but this is the dilemma of all $8 cost cards (Prince, Fortune, etc). I likely don't have the values correct so any insight would be appreciated! Thanks for looking.

Quote from: Kudasai
+1 Card
+3 Actions
+1 Buy
+$2 per card you've played (including this) after the previous Metropolis you played this turn.

While I think this is great in Platinum/Colony games, it kinda sucks that it's really overpriced until you get two of them, especially since you're passing up two Provinces if it isn't a Plat/Col game. It would be a lot nicer if the first one you bought in the game came with a second (for example, "the first time you gain this in a game, gain another Metropolis"), or at least some other benefit. (Heck, you could just make the first one each game per player cost instead.)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 01:22:51 am by Gubump »

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: July 27, 2019, 02:16:14 am »
+1

Developing Village

Changelog:

Secret History:

Questions:

Main question is, what do you think about the overpay for Villagers? When I first designed this card, that is what I was trying to achieve, but it's not actually needed for this challenge, so I could consider removing it.

My idea was to have the villagers be attached to a card that isn't a quite a village, so that you would sometimes need to use the villagers (if you reveal a copper or a province, for example, and have 2 more terminals), but often not (which is why it's at least a cantrip and sometimes even a village).

I meant to comment on this card back when you posted it to your personal, card page, but I didn't have the time. Anyways, great looking card! This touches on an aspect of Dominion I wish I saw more with the official cards: the ability to switch your cards and thus your strategies during your turn. I like the very novel way this goes about it as well. Being able to switch a card from your hand would be very strong, so doing it blind from the top of your deck seems like a nice compromise.

Thoughts:
(1) I'd absolutely remove the overpay. It's neat, but doesn't really add anything. Especially now that it can act as a Village when played.
(2) The issue of fast pile depletion was brought up on your page and I have to agree that it is indeed an issue. Maybe this is something you like, but it could end games pretty fast. If you wanted to change it you could make it an exchange clause instead of trashing. It would function about the same. Example:

"Reveal the top card of your deck. You may exchange it for a differently named card with the same cost to your hand. If you do, +1 Action. If you don't, +1 Card."
(3) Even without the overpay I think this is a bit underpriced. Without the ability to be a village this could probably get away with being $2, but with that addition it probably needs to be $3 or $4. Not a big difference, but it would force players to be a little more thoughtful about diving on this pile. I guess upping the price could actually make this stronger though. Like if it were $3 it could be changed into Silvers on the fly. If it were $5 (for some reason) it could be a great Duchy gainer.

Anyways, really cool card. I'd like to try it sometime!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 02:19:15 am by Kudasai »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: July 27, 2019, 03:08:17 am »

A Tribute/Courtier kind of thing. The wording is a bit unclear, to clarify I mean that types can get counted several times.
So when you do e.g. reveal 3 Coppers, it is a terminal Gold and when you do e.g. reveal a Smithy, Market Square and a Silver, it is:
+2 Actions
+
Trash a card from your hand.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: July 27, 2019, 03:30:14 am »
+1

A Tribute/Courtier kind of thing. The wording is a bit unclear, to clarify I mean that types can get counted several times.
So when you do e.g. reveal 3 Coppers, it is a terminal Gold and when you do e.g. reveal a Smithy, Market Square and a Silver, it is:
+2 Actions
+
This should be a Looter and an Attack. Which makes the self-combo a bit strong.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: July 27, 2019, 03:36:23 am »

+2 Actions
+
This should be a Looter and an Attack. Which makes the self-combo a bit strong.
That's precisely why it does not have those types. Strictly speaking it is technically "wrong" but as you pointed out, it is necessary for balance reasons.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.