Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546542 times)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #2725 on: July 11, 2019, 12:47:32 pm »

Can we submit cards we've worked on before? I never finished working on my Plague Doctor/Plague cards and they would be perfect for this contest. I have never submitted them to design contests before.
Sure, as I said I don't want any tight rules.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: July 11, 2019, 01:31:55 pm »

Can we submit cards we've worked on before? I never finished working on my Plague Doctor/Plague cards and they would be perfect for this contest. I have never submitted them to design contests before.

Are we allowed to submit cards we’ve previously submitted, but haven’t won?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: July 11, 2019, 02:12:13 pm »
+1

I think we should establish a base rule for all challenges and any individual challenge can of course specify something different.

Something like:

Unless otherwise specified, cards that have been entered in previous challenges that did not win or get runner up* can be entered again.

* basically, allow cards that don't make it into the hall of fame thread (though that thread is becoming outdated)
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: July 11, 2019, 02:38:04 pm »

Sure.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: July 11, 2019, 03:35:22 pm »

Shyster (Action-Attack) [$5]

+$2
Reveal a card from your hand. For each copy they have in their hand, each other player gains 1 debt and a Copper.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2730 on: July 11, 2019, 04:56:09 pm »
+1

+$2
Reveal a card from your hand. For each copy they have in their hand, each other player gains 1 debt and a Copper.

A couple of wording suggestions, for accountability and "take debt" which is what official cards use:
"Each other player reveals their hand. For each copy they reveal, they take 1 Debt and gain a Copper."

This could be very harsh. If you can get this early and catch an opponent with 4 coppers in their hand, they'd get +4 Debt and gain 4 Coppers. That seems like way too much junking from one play. (and imagine if you TRed this)

Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: July 11, 2019, 04:58:06 pm »
+1

A tricky card. It can hand out out tons of junk and generate tons of virtual coin, but you need the right kingdom to do so. It can become a liability when you start greening and have provinces in hand, but sometimes it's worth playing it then.

edit: I'm going with scott pilgrim's suggestion that it should be the player to your right, not left, but am much too tired to redo the image.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 01:13:36 am by pubby »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: July 11, 2019, 06:11:37 pm »
+1

+$2

Idea: “each player with exactly 5 cards in hand takes 1D and gains a Copper to their hand if they have a copy of it in their hand.” The debt and the copper cancel each other out, which is cute. Then it could probably cost $4.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: July 11, 2019, 06:45:13 pm »

Consulate
Type: Action - Attack
Cost: $4
+ $1
Gain a card costing less than this to your hand. Each other player discards the top card of their deck and gains a copy of the card you have gained to the top of their deck.

(Reaction cards like Moat can only be revealed before you make your choice, so you could pick Silver, when your opponent reveals a Moat. If the card you have gained loses track (e. g. with Trader) or is the last copy in the Supply, your opponents don't gain any card, but still discard the top card of their deck.)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 01:49:28 am by King Leon »

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: July 11, 2019, 09:54:59 pm »
+1

Consulate
Type: Action - Attack
+ $1
Gain a card costing less than this to your hand. Each other player discards the top card of their deck and gains a copy of the card you have gained.

(Reaction cards like Moat can only be revealed before you make your choice, so you could pick Silver, when your opponent reveals a Moat. If the card you have gained loses track (e. g. with Trader) or is the last copy in the Supply, your opponents don't gain any card, but still discard the top card of their deck.)

What's the point of discarding the top card of the deck?

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: July 11, 2019, 10:48:56 pm »

My entry, with a new type of junk, Damage cards. Damage cards are like Ruins, but they are not in the Supply and each have their own separate pile instead of being one mixed pile, so your opponent can choose which one they want to gain. They are, essentially, downgraded versions of existing card archetypes. So if one of your Villages is trashed, hey, you can at least gain a crummy version of it, effectively "downgrading" your Village instead of losing it. You can pick another Damage card to gain if you want to, of course. If the Damage cards themselves get hit, they get downgraded further to Ruins.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: July 12, 2019, 01:44:48 am »

Quote from: naitchman
What's the point of discarding the top card of the deck?
Sorry, i forgot to the top of their deck. (Sea Hag effect, avoids to clog the hand with all Curses / Estates, especially in multiplayer games.)

The main targets of Consulate are Estate, Curse, Copper and Silver, obviously.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 01:54:23 am by King Leon »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: July 12, 2019, 03:30:21 am »
+1

Alright, here's my entry:

Tarnished Cards

The Tarnished Cards replace the Curse cards in a game using a card with the subtype "Tarnisher" (or any time you want to replace the curses). There are 5 different Tarnished cards, and there are 10 of each. They are set up exactly like the Ruins pile.

Tarnished Blade Cost $0
+1 Action
Trash a card costing at least $3 from your hand to trash this card.
--
When you trash this, if it was not in play, put it into your hand.
--
Worth -1 VP
Action - Curse

Tarnished Armor Cost $0
+1 Action
Discard 2 cards to trash this card.
--
--
Worth -1 VP
Action - Curse

Tarnished Fortune Cost $0
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a Victory or Curse card. Put that card on top of your deck and discard the rest to trash this card.
--
--
Worth -1 VP
Action - Curse

Tarnished Gift Cost $0
+1 Action
Gain a Copper to the top of your deck to trash this card.
--
--
Worth -1 VP
Action - Curse

Tarnished Maps Cost $0
+1 Action
The player to your left looks at the top 3 cards of your deck, discards any number of them, and puts the rest back in any order. If they do, trash this card.
--
--
Worth -1 VP
Action - Curse

And here’s an example of a Tarnisher card:

Corrosion Cost $5
+2 Coffers
Set this card aside.
--
When another copy of Corrosion comes into play, discard this, and each other player gains a Curse.
Action - Attack - Tarnisher

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: July 12, 2019, 05:27:10 am »

Red Tide
Event - $5
Gain a card costing up to $4 onto your deck. Put a Barnacle from the Barnacle pile onto an Action supply pile of your choice.

Barnacle
Action - $1*
Place this on top of an Action supply pile of your choice.
-
When you buy this, +1 Buy

(There are 10 Barnacles, and you can't buy/gain the card below a Barnacle. You must first buy the Barnacle on top)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 04:57:54 pm by NoMoreFun »

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: July 12, 2019, 11:20:18 am »

A tricky card. It can hand out out tons of junk and generate tons of virtual coin, but you need the right kingdom to do so. It can become a liability when you start greening and have provinces in hand, but sometimes it's worth playing it then.

Interesting card!  I'm worried that this could be frustrating in 3+ player games.  Imagine a 4 player game, and the player to the left picks Goons from your hand so they can gain the last Goons from the supply.  Now you get +$5, that player gets a Goons, and the other two players are screwed.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: July 12, 2019, 12:33:40 pm »

Red Tide
Event - $5
Gain a card costing up to $4 onto your deck. Put a Barnacle from its pile onto an Action supply pile of your choice.

Barnacle
Action - $1
Place this on top of an Action supply pile of your choice.
-
When you gain this, +1 Buy

(There are 10 Barnacles, and you can't buy/gain the card below a Barnacle)

Can you buy Barnacles? I assume not and this is a "dependent" pile (for set up purposes). If so, you should add: "This is not in the Supply."

How would this look if when you played Red Tide, the Barnacle went on the pile from which you gained a card?

I'm not suggesting this for balance reasons (which is why I'm not sure if this idea is even worth it), just for thematic reasons and to make the Barnacle effect be different if you play Red Tide vs Barnacle.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: July 12, 2019, 01:33:07 pm »
+1

Would you want me to apply the same effort feedback to that new card and tell you my thoughts on it?
Only if you want to.

Chronicler
Types: Action, Attack
+1 Action. Each player (including you) may reveal a Curse from their hand for +1 Villager and to take the Tome. Each other player gains a Curse, putting it into their hand.
Tome
Types: Artifact
At the start of your Buy phase, you may discard a Curse for +1 Coffers.

Okay! I really appreciated the feedback you have given, so here are my thoughts on Chronicler/Tome. One thing about attacks that affect everyone, you often make the attack structured such that the person who played the card is most likely to benefit from it. For example, masquerade has you draw 2 cards such that you are more likely to have a bad card to give to your opponents. This card doesn't have any such benefit, there is no card drawing in order to make sure you have a curse to discard, and the first player has to go first because of turn order, so they have the least chance of actually keeping the Tome.

The card has some clever designs in it to make a cheap non-terminal curser weaker(each person gets a villager for sure if you play multiple), but that isn't enough of a dissuasion. If my opponent kept the tome for the whole game, I wouldn't mind as long as I fed tons of curses their way. The tome at best turns one into a slightly better copper -- it still clogs their deck way down. Having a ton of villagers doesn't really help them if they can't even go through their deck.

I really like the idea of Tome and having an artifact that passes around so much and sort of counter-balances normal turn-order balancing. I think this card would probably be better overall if you made the card more likely to have a better effect for the person playing it (if you don't want card drawing, you could do card sifting.), and perhaps strengthen it to make it cost 5 -- right now it's not convincing that the central mechanics of this card (gaining curses to hand and the tome) belong to a cheap curser.

But this is all very interesting and I really love the idea! Would be cool to work on it. Again, these are just my opinions!

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: July 12, 2019, 06:22:26 pm »

Ok, This is definitely not the final version but I'm gonna put this here for comments. This idea was a devil's workshop but an attack. Update: This is no longer my submission. The new submission is here

I think I should add a benefit for the user of the card, not sure what to do (maybe  a +coffer). Any suggestions welcome. I want to keep it at $4 (with the benefit) if possible, but if not the price can change. I'd prefer not to make it a duration if possible.

Just some notes:
Pros
1) Can continue junking after curses run out
2) Is non terminal
3) cannot be drawn dead
4) cost $4 (so it can always be opened with)

Cons
1) Can only junk once per turn (including other junkers you have, like witch), not including its swindler attack
2) Gets worse the more times you play it
3) Gives no benefit (working on that)

Update: This is no longer my submission. The new submission is here
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 01:14:01 pm by naitchman »

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: July 12, 2019, 11:54:00 pm »

Interesting card!  I'm worried that this could be frustrating in 3+ player games.  Imagine a 4 player game, and the player to the left picks Goons from your hand so they can gain the last Goons from the supply.  Now you get +$5, that player gets a Goons, and the other two players are screwed.

Could that particular issue be fixed by saying the player to your right, instead of the player to your left?

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: July 13, 2019, 01:12:22 am »

Could that particular issue be fixed by saying the player to your right, instead of the player to your left?
That's a really clever idea! It fixes the problem mostly. I guess there's still a situation when one player gets junk and the others don't, but that's uncommon and not so bad.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #2745 on: July 13, 2019, 09:22:44 am »

Will definitely need rewording. The way it's worded now, you gain the Curse/Copper, not them.

As for the idea itself, I admit I'm not particularly enamored with it. The vast majority of the time there will be no other junkers, so it will just be the same as measuring the number of Satanic Rituals you've played this turn. If the attack were based on the number of cards you gained this turn, that could be a lot more interesting.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: July 13, 2019, 09:37:21 am »

This is a card from my Dominion: Greed fan set (which heavily features "In games using this" effects) that I have yet to re-submit. Special thanks to ThetaSigma12 for re-theming this card.
Brazen Bull
Types: Treasure, Attack
Cost: $5
$2. When you play this, each other player may reveal 3 cards from their hand that are Actions or Curses. If they don't, they gain a Curse.
In games using this, Curses are worth -1VP per Treasure costing at least $5 in your deck instead.
Other players can reveal any combination of cards that are Actions or Curses (such as 2 Actions and 1 Curse): They don’t have to all be of one type or the other.  The revealed cards stay in the player’s hand.  Remember that Brazen Bull is not an Action itself, so it cannot be revealed when another player plays a Brazen Bull.
In games with Brazen Bull in the Supply, Curses are not worth -1VP and instead are worth -1VP for each Treasure costing $5 or more in your deck (such as Brazen Bulls or Golds).  A deck with no Treasures costing $5 or more in it will have Curses that are worth 0VP.

Brazen Bull is a powerful Curser, but owning them both makes Curses worse for you and makes you more likely to be affected by Brazen Bulls.  Buy Brazen Bulls if you think you can bury other players (and they might return the favor), or try to out-build it by trashing your starting Coppers\Estates and adding Actions to your deck quickly.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: July 13, 2019, 12:21:24 pm »
+2

Gremlin
$5 - Action/Attack/Doom

You may trash this, to move the Jinxed token to an Action supply pile. If you didn't, +2 cards, and each other player gains a card from the Jinxed pile.
-
Setup: Add an Kingdom Action pile costing up to $2 to the supply and put the Jinxed token on it. When a player plays a card from the Jinxed pile, they first receive the next Hex.

A way to use kingdom piles as junk. You can also use it as an expensive one-shot attack on your opponent's engine in a non-mirror. Of coure, instead of using tokens, you could use the randomizer or just an embargo token or something like that.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 12:22:38 pm by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #36: Unconventional Junker
« Reply #2748 on: July 13, 2019, 01:07:32 pm »

I guess I'll resubmit Totem with anordinaryman's feedback taken into account.

Version History:
Submitted to contest #35 (Thematic curser):
v1.0: Original version.
v1.1: Reduced cost from to and can only be called during your turn.
v1.2: Returned cost to and Curses all players whose turn it isn't (which may or may not include you). Restored ability to call it during your turn.
Submitted to contest #36 (Unconventional junker, current contest):
v1.3: Simplified call effect, increased produced to , and added self-cursing on-play.
v1.4: Removed self-cursing.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 08:39:54 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: July 13, 2019, 01:26:50 pm »

Gremlin
$5 - Action/Attack/Doom

You may trash this, to move the Jinxed token to an Action supply pile. If you didn't, +2 cards, and each other player gains a card from the Jinxed pile.
-
Setup: Add an Kingdom Action pile costing up to $2 to the supply and put the Jinxed token on it. When a player plays a card from the Jinxed pile, they first receive the next Hex.

A way to use kingdom piles as junk. You can also use it as an expensive one-shot attack on your opponent's engine in a non-mirror. Of coure, instead of using tokens, you could use the randomizer or just an embargo token or something like that.

This is gonna make for really long, slow turns if you put the Jinxed token on something non-terminal.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 21 queries.