Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546611 times)

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #2675 on: July 05, 2019, 06:17:29 pm »

Okay so here's what I got.

Just changed trashing curses to trashing any cards. I think this takes care of a couple things

1) It makes it always possible for curses to end up in trash so gaining curses from the trash is always possible
2) It keeps with Dark Ages theme of trashing
3) You always get a benefit besides the attack
4) It's no longer worse than sea hag if you don't have curses in hand
5) it's better now compared to ambassador because you can trash anything and you can trash 2 different cards. Also UW will always give out a curse (provided there's one in the supply, trash, or your hand which is very likely). You can also trash cards you wouldn't want your opponent to gain (flag bearer, silk merchant). Consider the following comparisons
    a) Amb-Co-Co vs UW-Co-Co = Both trash/ return 2 coppers but UW gives out a curse compared to a Copper
    b) Amb-E-E vs UW-E-E = Both trash/ return 2 Estates but UW gives out a curse compared to an Estate
    c) Amb-Cu-Cu vs UW-Cu-Cu = Pretty much the same
    d) Amb and two different cards vs UW and two different cards= This is where UW really shines since you can trash 2 cards as opposed to 1 and your opponent will (in most cases) get a curse.

With every iteration, your card keeps getting more and more similar to my Warlock.

They both trash two cards, both Curse, and both deal with Curses from the trash.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: July 06, 2019, 01:53:06 am »

So I decided to scrap the Traveler line completely. There were too many problems and Master wasn't nearly strong enough to qualify as the last step of a Traveller chain. I'm still going with an Adventures cursor, and here he is:

Sorcerer
Action - Reserve - Attack $5
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+ $1
Each other player puts their -1 Card token on top of their deck.
Put this on your Tavern mat.
-
At the start of your turn, if you haven't called any other Sorcerers this turn, you may call this, and each other player gains a Curse.

Still Adventures, and the 2 themes are Tokens and Reserve Mats. I think attacking from the Reserve mat is a unique niche that would be nice to cover. What do you think?

Also, how do I get the +$1 to be bold like the +1 Action or +1 Buy on Shard of Honor's card creator? When I try "+$1", it makes the $1 huge like it's a treasure, and when I try "+ $1" it doesn't make it bigger like the +1 Action or +1 Buy. And "+ $ 1" doesn't work at all, and neither does "+1 $". Help?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: July 06, 2019, 02:11:53 am »

Sorcerer
Action - Reserve - Attack $5
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+ $1
Each other player puts their -1 Card token on top of their deck.
Put this on your Tavern mat.
-
At the start of your turn, if you haven't called any other Sorcerers this turn, you may call this, and each other player gains a Curse.

As worded, having each other player gain a Curse isn't conditional on calling a Sorcerer. It needs to say "...you may call this. If you do, each other player gains a Curse."
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

kru5h

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: July 06, 2019, 03:56:26 am »

I'm changing my entry again.

Here's Warlock v2:

There are some problems with it. What happens if you reveal this when a Fortress is trashed? Does it go to the Supply or to your hand? What happens with Noble Brigand? It says that you gain the trashed treasures. Do you gain them, or do they return to the Supply?

Warlock v3:

Much simpler. Double Cursing can be quite powerful, but you have to trash an Action card to do it. This could be quite powerful with Rats, but you have to wait until there are actually Curses in the Trash before you can double Curse people, so that nerfs that Strategy a bit so that you can't immediately double Curse people. If you could always get Curses from the trash (Like Naitchman's version), it would just be a slog forever. This ensures that the game eventually cleans up unless you keep trashing action cards. Even then, people are trashing 2 and gaining 2 until the Curses run out. Then you're just trashing 2 and gaining 1 Curse, so it will still clean up.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: July 06, 2019, 06:13:09 am »
+1

Also, for a minute I thought your post was the judging.
Sorry for that. I'm trying to comment on everyone's cards because I was feeling a little frustrated by a lack of input some weeks and for some cards. Best way to solve that problem is to create the input myself. I like commenting anyway.

Raven
Types: Action, Reserve
Cost: $4
+1 Card, +1 Action. Choose one: Discard a card for +$1; or put this on your Tavern mat.
When you gain a Province, you may discard this from your Tavern mat. If you do, each other player gains a Curse.
This looks like a fine fit for Adventures, even if it loses the animal-that-gains-more-animals theme. I think a cost of $5 would make this very bad. You already need to get 1 stop card in order to give other players 1+ stop cards. A $5 card would have a much harder time getting to that 3+ Cursing range that I think makes Raven exciting (when acquiring it is difficult).

Undead Witch
Types: Action, Attack
Cost: $5
Trash up to 2 cards from your hand. Each other player gains a Curse from the Supply or trash (your choice).
Frankly, I'm not sure why you're so fixated on ensuring Curses end up in the trash. Players typically want to put them there anyway, and the junking+engine cards that exist are typically so game-dominant as it is (Ambassador trashes+junks, Torturer draws+junks). Kingdoms with no trashing would make Undead Witch a normal curser, so you might want to put some Spoils, an on-trash, or some other trash-caring effect on it to make it more Dark-agesy.

There are some problems with it. What happens if you reveal this when a Fortress is trashed? Does it go to the Supply or to your hand? What happens with Noble Brigand? It says that you gain the trashed treasures. Do you gain them, or do they return to the Supply?
Fortress goes where the current turn's player chooses because there are two effects triggering simultaneously (consider resolving Duration cards at the "start of your next turn"). Noble Brigand looks in the trash for the Treasure, but has lost track because Warlock has already moved it.
Warlock
Trash up to 2 cards from your hand. If you trashed any Action cards, each other player gains a Curse from the trash.
Either way, each other player gains a Curse.
As a matter of semantic follow-through, I'd recommend writing it as I've restructured above: List everything the player does, and then everything the other players do (unless that order matters).
This new Warlock is clever in a bunch of ways. It gives more reason to throw away your Necropolis in Dark Ages games. It will be dominant on most boards due to the importance both of fast-trashing and Cursing. The small inherent buff to situational cards given by these cards that can trash Actions for a benefit is always appreciated. The Curse-from-trash is likely to be seldom with this version, though. Maybe consider putting an on-trash effect on Warlock.

Totem
Types: Treasure, Reserve
$2. When you play this, put it on your Tavern mat.
When you would gain a Curse, you may call this. If you do, each player whose turn it isn't gains a Curse instead.
Being third or fourth player in Totem games sounds frustrating because one player's Curse-gain results in you getting all the Curses because you're one turn behind and haven't gotten to put your Totems onto your mat yet. It's cute otherwise. The exchange of a +Buy for the Cursing effect is neat.

Parade
Types: Project
When you gain a Victory card, each other player gains a Curse.
The theme is bad here. A Parade should do something for me like Procession. Dominion's not about theme though, so I'll set that aside.
I don't suspect that this will do much to games overall except push games with $4 Victory cards towards rush games. Otherwise this always creates a 1-for-1 stop card effect which awkwardly runs out of steam in multiplayer games.

Mountain Witch
If the Curse pile isn't empty, choose one: +2 Cards; +2 Actions; +2 Buys; or +$2. Each other player gains a Curse.
Providing +Actions and +Buys on a powerful Attack is often a bad idea, but the fact that this can only provide those benefits while the temporary Attack persists is an interesting concept. The card becoming totally dead might be overly frustrating when Cursing games can normally be frustrating. I'd have to play with it some.

Sorcerer
Types: Action, Reserve, Attack
+1 Action, +1 Buy, +$1. Each other player puts their -1 Card token on top of their deck. Put this on your Tavern mat.
A Cursing anti-cantrip. It probably feels bad that you can't block the Curse with Attack-protectors when this card is an Attack otherwise (and getting around that would be clumsy). I am always leery of a card providing +Buys with an important Attack. You'll buy it for the +Buy and end up with Curses by accident.

I'm not really sure what your proposal is. Do you mean give each other player a curse and a coffer? That woud definitely be less swingy, and needs to cost $4-$5 (it would also be the only $4 unconditional curser that also gives a benefit if you priced it at $4). You could also allow for naming a card but not give coffers out; either the player gets the curse or doesn't (like a bane card), though I guess that loses the guilds theme even more.
Sorceress (Guilds v2)
+1 Coffers. Each other player gains a Curse, putting it into their hand. Reveal the top card of your deck. Discard it or put it back. Either way, each other player may reveal a copy of it from their hand for +1 Coffers.
You get +Coffers and everyone else gets a Curse to hand, but they also get a chance to get the same Coffers by having a card you reveal (revealing the top card of your deck being an approximation of "naming a card," but ensures that the benefit is a little less swingy because you will likely reveal Coppers early and Curses later (without trashing)) (also, fun-fun, draw your deck and no one gets anything because you have no card to reveal).
Maybe +Coffers out-of-turn is a lost concept for accelerating 4-player games too much. Perhaps trading up to Renaissance for the less-volatile Villagers and dropping the "name a card" thing would be better
Sorceress (Renaissance)
+1 Action. Each player (including you) may reveal a Curse from their hand for +1 Villager. Each other player gains a Curse, putting it into their hand.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 07:19:27 am by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: July 06, 2019, 09:53:08 am »
+7

For Seaside of course. I ended up designing a card for every expansion (some much more successfully than others) and this was my favourite. I like trying to get more uses in for the mats and tokens in Seaside and this doesn't seem too messed up with Native Village? I think it's okay that this puts face-up cards on your mat?

artless

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: July 06, 2019, 10:20:40 am »
+4

For Renaissance:

Dunner
$5 Action - Attack

+2 Coffers
Each other player loses either a Villager or a Coffer, their choice.
Each other player who doesn’t gains a Curse.
---
Set up: Each player gets +1 Villager
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 11:42:15 pm by artless »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: July 06, 2019, 02:12:29 pm »

For Renaissance:

Dunner
$5 Action - Attack

+2 coffers
Each opponent chooses one:
-1 villager; -1 coffer; gain a curse.
---
Set up: Each player gets +1 villager

(You can't choose -1 villager if you don't have any villager)
You can always choose an option you can’t do (see torturer). I would reword it like this:

Each other player who has any Villagers or Coffers loses either a Villager or a Coffers, their choice.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: July 06, 2019, 08:01:01 pm »
+3

Deleted my previous entry. This card is for Guilds.

Edit: Just noticed the similarity to the card above it in the thread. I'll leave this up for now. I came up with it as it clicked in my head there'd be an elegant way to combine 3 ideas that have been floating around Guilds for a while (Coin Token attack, giving out Coin tokens as a non-attack interaction, and overpay for coin tokens).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 08:05:09 pm by NoMoreFun »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: July 06, 2019, 08:58:47 pm »

For Seaside of course. I ended up designing a card for every expansion (some much more successfully than others) and this was my favourite. I like trying to get more uses in for the mats and tokens in Seaside and this doesn't seem too messed up with Native Village? I think it's okay that this puts face-up cards on your mat?

The problem I have with this is that it's a completely different card in games that also have Native Village vs games that don't. In a game that doesn't have Native Village, if your opponent isn't also buying Island Warrios, then "gain a Curse to their Native Village mat" is basically another way of saying "+1 ". So this feels much more like a Monument variant most of the time.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2685 on: July 06, 2019, 09:00:19 pm »

For Renaissance:

Dunner
$5 Action - Attack

+2 coffers
---

You can always choose an option you can’t do (see torturer). I would reword it like this:

Each other player who has any Villagers or Coffers loses either a Villager or a Coffers, their choice.

You don't need the "who has any Villagers or Coffers" part. The rest works fine and the same without it.

Each other player loses either a Villager or a Coffers, their choice.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

artless

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: July 06, 2019, 10:42:58 pm »

For Renaissance:

Dunner
$5 Action - Attack

+2 coffers
---

You don't need the "who has any Villagers or Coffers" part. The rest works fine and the same without it.

Each other player loses either a Villager or a Coffers, their choice.

Thanks.
Edited.

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: July 06, 2019, 11:51:08 pm »

Just changed trashing curses to trashing any cards. I think this takes care of a couple things

1) It makes it always possible for curses to end up in trash so gaining curses from the trash is always possible
5) it's better now compared to ambassador because you can trash anything and you can trash 2 different cards. Also UW will always give out a curse (provided there's one in the supply, trash, or your hand which is very likely). You can also trash cards you wouldn't want your opponent to gain (flag bearer, silk merchant). Consider the following comparisons
    a) Amb-Co-Co vs UW-Co-Co = Both trash/ return 2 coppers but UW gives out a curse compared to a Copper
    b) Amb-E-E vs UW-E-E = Both trash/ return 2 Estates but UW gives out a curse compared to an Estate
    d) Amb and two different cards vs UW and two different cards= This is where UW really shines since you can trash 2 cards as opposed to 1 and your opponent will (in most cases) get a curse.

With every iteration, your card keeps getting more and more similar to my Warlock.

They both trash two cards, both Curse, and both deal with Curses from the trash.

1) To be fair I posted Undead Witch before you posted Warlock
2) At the time you posted this, Warlock didn't give curses from the trash
3) The fact that they both curse shouldn't be surprising at all considering the nature of this contest
4) The fact that they both trash 2 cards is still not that surprising since we both chose Dark Ages as our theme
5) I read the other cards but I don't commit them to memory. Now that you point it out, they are similar, but I definitely did not steal any ideas off of Warlock.

As an aside, the fact that UW causes a slog is not terrible. It wouldn't be the only card.

That being said this version may not be the final iteration (that's why I didn't change the original post).

kru5h

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: July 07, 2019, 12:06:14 am »

1) To be fair I posted Undead Witch before you posted Warlock
2) At the time you posted this, Warlock didn't give curses from the trash
3) The fact that they both curse shouldn't be surprising at all considering the nature of this contest
4) The fact that they both trash 2 cards is still not that surprising since we both chose Dark Ages as our theme
5) I read the other cards but I don't commit them to memory. Now that you point it out, they are similar, but I definitely did not steal any ideas off of Warlock.

As an aside, the fact that UW causes a slog is not terrible. It wouldn't be the only card.

That being said this version may not be the final iteration (that's why I didn't change the original post).

I don't think you were copying, obviously. I just think it's annoying for both of us that out entries are so similar. Also, you're supposed to keep a change log in your original post so we can see all of your changes at once. Right now you only show your final version in your original post and it makes it look like I'm copying you since you posted first. Please edit back in your developments and story along the way so that people can see how our cards evolved separately at a glance.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: July 07, 2019, 06:48:09 am »

The problem I have with this is that it's a completely different card in games that also have Native Village vs games that don't. In a game that doesn't have Native Village, if your opponent isn't also buying Island Warrios, then "gain a Curse to their Native Village mat" is basically another way of saying "+1 ". So this feels much more like a Monument variant most of the time.

The way I see it is that it's just like the Journey token cards, or Butcher with Coffers cards. Pilgrimage especially plays very differently if Ranger or Giant are in the kingdom, and personally I think that's pretty cool! I tried to make it so that Native Village and Island Warriors aren't completely broken when they're in the same kingdom and I think I did an okay job there? Native Village makes it easier to pick up the Golds, but you're also probably adding Curses to your deck then too so it should balance out somewhat. It seems more like a subjective thing that you don't like rather than an objective problem with the design to me.

Yes whether the Curses ever actually get shuffled into your opponent's deck is entirely their decision,  even if your opponent has their own Island Warrior/Native Village they don't have to pick up. I was trying to do a different spin on what a "Curser" is.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: July 07, 2019, 07:50:13 am »

I wasn't really talking about that kind of rush. I just think being able to spend $2 and a Buy to deplete 2 piles is a very dangerous effect that'll probably lead to many very fast 3 piles, usually in engines.
Not really. If there is an issue with Parade, it is due to an Estate/Gardens/Silk Road rush.

Building up an engine that yields several Buys (and, supposing for the sake of simplicity a non-mirror game in which the opponent simply plays money, can deal with the incoming green) takes time.

16 Coins and 8 Buys lead to a VP spread of 16 and 2 empty piles if one does the Estate thingy.
16 Coins and 2 Buys lead to a VP spread of 12 if one goes for Provinces.

So all those extra Buys provide only moderately more VPs and moderately more (Buys always provide some) pile control. Hard for me to see the supposed brokenness.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 07:51:15 am by segura »

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: July 07, 2019, 01:04:20 pm »
+1

I don't think you were copying, obviously. I just think it's annoying for both of us that out entries are so similar. Also, you're supposed to keep a change log in your original post so we can see all of your changes at once. Right now you only show your final version in your original post and it makes it look like I'm copying you since you posted first. Please edit back in your developments and story along the way so that people can see how our cards evolved separately at a glance.

I guess I agree with the fact that it's annoying our cards our similar. I think you are one of a few that I've seen who keeps an entire log of all the different iterations. I just put new changes under "Updates" which keeps the original post concise (people can see the exact wording of the older card from all the comments on it, and I usually specify what changed in the comments).

With that said, I decided to make some key changes to Undead Witch for the following 2 reasons
1) I generally don't like cards that you have to buy if they're in the kingdom. UW is a card that you have to go for if it's there. For most cursers it's board dependent whether you have to buy them; if there's weak trashing, you have to buy them to be competitive in the cursing race. If there's strong enough trashing you can ignore them and just trash the curses as they come in. If you don't go for UW, you'll get all the curses. Even if you have good trashing, your opponent can give them right back to you.
2) I think the trashing part synergizes too much with the cursing from the trash. Part of what cards interesting is how they vary with strength depending on the kingdom. Considering that trashing is common enough, I don't need to add trashing to UW. The strength will obviously be different depending if there's trashing or not. Also, along the lines of the first point, since the trashing and cursing from the trash are in one card, it's much easier to use it, meaning it will always come into play. If you have to trash with a different card (say steward), then play UW, the game changes alot. You would need to get steward, a curse, and an UW in your hand for this to be effective; If you just had UW (without the trashing part) you couldn't curse, and if you just had steward and trashed your curse, your opponent could give it back to you. Getting these cards together restricts the cases which this could be effective.

To address these points, I've added 2 changes:
1) If you do curse from the trash, you trash it for a new card. This means you can only curse from the trash once. This takes care of point #1.
2) You don't get to trash 2 cards anymore. Instead you get +$1. This takes care of point #2 above
(Also I change the name to Vengeful Witch, since it didn't make sense for an Undead Witch to turn into a Dead Witch)

With that out of the way here is the new card:

This witch is vengeful and is looking to make sure you're cursed if it's the last thing she does. Indeed it is the last thing she does. But even from beyond the grave, there's a destructive power about her.

1) I gave a bonus of +$1 seeing that +$2 would make this too strong compared to witch (can curse from the trash once and gets rid of itself when it outlives its usefulness)
2) In games without trashing, this would play a little weaker than a Witch.
3) In games with some trashing, every vengeful witch can curse once from the trash. This means the cursing race will eventually end and it won't go back and forth. It also means that you don't have to get a vengeful witch if there's strong enough trashing. After you trash the VW for a Dead Witch, you also have an additional card that can help deal with curses you have, making this card not a complete slog.
4) Note that while both these cards trash, they both need another trasher for them to actually trash.
5) This is still a Dark Ages Theme: VW curses from the trash, DW trashes cards, and it's a card that turns into another card (like hermit and urchin).

Update: I have relented on point #1 and made it +$2.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 07:42:32 pm by naitchman »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: July 07, 2019, 01:31:55 pm »

+$1 instead of +2 Cards is more than just a little weaker...

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: July 07, 2019, 02:41:28 pm »

Yeah.
It would kind of depend on the rest of the board and your money density. If you have villages, witches can keep the chain going, but without them, you risk drawing other witches dead.

Regardless of how much weaker it is, it has to be weaker than a witch (absent trashing) or it would not be fairly priced compared to witch. Giving it a weakness absent trashing and a strength with trashing is good.

If you have any ideas of what could be a more appropriate benefit then +$1, feel free to post them.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 02:44:21 pm by naitchman »

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: July 07, 2019, 05:13:30 pm »

Yeah.
It would kind of depend on the rest of the board and your money density. If you have villages, witches can keep the chain going, but without them, you risk drawing other witches dead.

Regardless of how much weaker it is, it has to be weaker than a witch (absent trashing) or it would not be fairly priced compared to witch. Giving it a weakness absent trashing and a strength with trashing is good.

If you have any ideas of what could be a more appropriate benefit then +$1, feel free to post them.

I think +$2 would actually be fine.  It might be a little stronger than Witch, but not by much, and I think it would be worse than Mountebank.  It gives out less junk initially, even if it can actually empty the Curses.  +$ fits well with it being a payload card.

kru5h

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: July 07, 2019, 07:09:45 pm »

I'm slightly changing Warlock.

Warlock v4

I changed "Trash up to 2 cards from your hand" to "Trash up to 2 differently named cards from your hand."

1) This was simply too powerful. It was a must-buy. Especially with junking in the game. All players were forced to buy it.
2) There's no reason to double Curse somebody if they can simply double-trash it. This slows down the trashing so that the Cursing is a bit more effective.

Edit: Fixed typo.

Edit2:

Warlock v5

This might be too powerful. We'll see.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 02:13:15 am by kru5h »

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: July 08, 2019, 02:03:16 pm »

Can you clarify whether you make the choice individually for each player, or whether you choose trash or supply and then it applies to all players in turn order? When do you make the choice? Right now it is ambiguous. I am not trying to provide feedback before judging, but I do need to understand the card to judge it correctly.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: July 08, 2019, 03:18:26 pm »

Can you clarify whether you make the choice individually for each player, or whether you choose trash or supply and then it applies to all players in turn order? When do you make the choice? Right now it is ambiguous. I am not trying to provide feedback before judging, but I do need to understand the card to judge it correctly.

Similar to Spy and Oracle, you make the choice individually for each player. Based on precedent, I believe this is the correct way to write this. If it has been one choice for all players it would have been "Choose one: Each other player gains a Curse, or each other player gains a curse from the trash".
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 04:44:57 pm by naitchman »

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: July 08, 2019, 08:48:05 pm »
+2

Island Warrior
Gain a Gold to your Native Village mat; or put all cards from your mat into your hand. Each other player gains a Curse to their Native Village mat.
I think this will have huge turn order issues around the fact that Gold flooding is inconsistent and thus not particularly great. Assuming this is relevant, after 5-plays apiece to empty the Curse pile in a 2-player game, players will have $15 waiting on their Native Village mat. If +Buys are available, Player-1 will get to cash in +$15 (or +$12, if that's all that is needed) first, quite possibly to end the game and never have to deal with the Curses anyway.

Landlord
Cost: $3+
+$2. Each other player with Coffers puts one of their Coffers tokens onto the Landlord pile. If they didn't, they gain a Curse and +1 Coffers.
When you buy this, you may overpay. For each $1 you overpay, +1 Coffers from the Landlord pile.
Landlord generates Coffers, but for others--and it does so particularly to take them from players to fuel its overpay. It's a fair number of hoops to jump through to be able to justify overpay for Coffers, but it looks like it could work. I mostly wonder if the cost of $3 is too low--especially in multiplayer games where the overpay-Coffers can pile up more easily.

Vengeful Witch
+$2. Each other player gains a Curse from the supply or trash (your choice. If any player gained a Curse from the trash this way, trash this card and gain a Dead Witch from the Dead Witch pile.
Dead Witch
Types: Action
+1 Card, +1 Action. You may trash a card from your hand. (This is not in the supply)
Most Cursing cards run out of steam and become super weak cards, but Vengeful Witch has an ability to throw itself away once the Curse pile is otherwise empty. The Dead Witch thing likely makes Vengeful Witch no less mandatory in Kingdoms with trashing, though. The real question is if throwing Vengeful Witch away early will ever be worth the trouble.
I might consider making gaining Dead Witch an on-trash effect, for fun.

Warlock
Trash up to 2 differently named cards from your hand. Each other player gains a Curse. If you trashed any Action cards, each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand and gains a Curse from the trash.
I do believe trashing Cursers will inevitably be overpowered. I am personally fine with that. I think finding the Actions to trash with this will be fun enough.

I've decided to update my card wholesale into a Renaissance themed Curser with an Artifact. I'd appreciate feedback, if you have any.

Chronicler
+1 Action. Each player (including you) may reveal a Curse from their hand for +1 Villager and to take the Tome. Each other player gains a Curse, putting it into their hand.
Tome
Types: Artifact
At the start of your Buy phase, you may discard a Curse for +1 Coffers.
Chronicler is a Renaissance-themed Curser using Villagers, Coffers, and an Artifact. Everyone can get Villagers by revealing a Curse. The last player in turn order to reveal a Curse gets the Tome (because turn order applies. If everyone reveals a Curse, each player, starting with the current turn's player, takes the Tome). Then everyone else gets a Curse straight to their hand.
If someone can think of a better wording to make turn-order clearer for taking the Tome, let me know.

It can act as a splitter if you have Curses in your deck. The Tome lets you use 1 Curse for a Coffers each turn, but you can only get it by having a Curse when other players don't. The fact that Chronicler is non-terminal is neat, but will act against you if you actually double-Curse by giving the player to your right the Tome (until the Curse pile is emptied, anyway).
The Curse going to hand is also neat because players third or later in turn order are very likely to reveal a Curse to a turn 3 or 4 Chronicler, counterbalancing the typical first-player advantage in a way. You might not get to keep the Tome, though. Tome could just circle forever without ever triggering.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: July 08, 2019, 11:33:54 pm »

Hi all, back from the long weekend! As I suspected, I wasn't able to post any, but have been following along and we have some great cards this week!

I've also had a plenty of time to think how I can improve Coven.

Coven
Types: Event
Cost: $6
Move your Cursed token to an Action Supply pile with no other Cursed token on it. (When any player plays a card from that pile, they first gain a Curse.)

The feedback I've gotten so far really helped frame my thoughts (thanks!):

I just had an idea (you can take it or leave it). What if there was a single cursed token that was shared by all players. Buying the event would move it to the pile of your liking. This would mean in 4 player games it wouldn't get too crazy with 4 cursed tokens.

Also, it would appear you have a typo on the card (playa)

The immediate and obvious problem of Coven is how often it will push big-money strategies to the forefront, because one can always avoid Coven completely by having no Action cards. You could possibly have it move the Cursing token to a Supply pile costing at least $2 (to exclude Coppers).

I really liked Naitchman's method of posting several different versions, so I hope no one minds, but I'm going to post several different versions I've been considering. Since no one else has done an Adventures' "place token on a pile" Event, these will be a more varied; if that's an issue, let me know and I can move this to my dedicated thread.

The way I see it there are basically 4 general options here:
• Cursed token - curse a player when they play a card (Cursed Gold variant; the current version)
• Cursed token - curse a player when they buy or gain or a card (Embargo variant)
• Cursing token - curse other players when you buy or gain a card (Ill gotten gains variant)
• Cursing token - curse other players when you play a card (Witch variant)

One of the issues with the Cursed token is the difference between 2 and 4 player games; ideally the token would only work on other players, which is fine in two player games, but not really fair in 4 (the first player to play a token on a pile affects 3 others players; the second player's token on the pile, only one - the first player). Like I said in my original post I got around that by affecting all players, but I don't love that. Also having 4 piles that are cursed is a lot.

naitchman's idea of a single Cursed token could work, but it'd be less on theme (since Adventure tokens are per player). I'm already having it be a little different in that the token's effect affect everyone.

The second issue is Fragasnap's point that big money gets pushed to the forefront. I think this can be helped by slowing down the cursing. So the first variant is that: only the first card you play is cursed. (another idea I had to slow it down is to use the Journey token to make it curse every other play; or even combine both, so it curses every other turn that you play the cursed card).

(Fragasnap's suggestion of moving the token to a Supply pile costing at least $2 is also good, but I still think might still be too much of a slog compared to just once per turn)

The second variant is the Embargo variant. Since embargo already exists, I tried making this different by being on gain. That, and the fact that you don't have to wait to place the token, of course, makes it stronger (though that is balanced some by only being Action Supply piles).

Overall, I am now leaning towards switching this to a Cursing token. That seems to fit better with the "this token helps only you" theme of the other Adventures tokens.

Variant 3 is therefore the ill gotten gains variant. I made it on buy instead of on gain so I could price it low enough to buy early.

The last, the Witch variant, is obviously the strongest. If it worked always and you could convert any cantrip into a Familiar: :o. Fortunately, it also can be slowed down to only once a turn. I decided to also weaken a little more by limiting to non attacks.

I do have one bonus variant - of the last type, but it's a little different by being one-shot. It also doesn't make the card into an Attack, so it can't be reacted to.

So if you've made it this far, thanks for bearing with all my thinking. Please let me know what you think - which one generally do you like best? I'll decide on one, make some final tweaks, if necessary, and update my original post before contest end.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 01:58:32 am by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 21 queries.