Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546815 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #2625 on: July 03, 2019, 05:19:36 pm »

doesn't the name of your card itself kinda break theme/canon tho? these are named after some russian guy from the late 18th century iirc

Why should it break canon? The themes of Hinterlands are trading, roads and foreign cultures. Mandarin is also a direct reference to imperial China and the German names of the cards Walled Village and Church are Carcassonne (only in the Hans im Glück version, it is now Befestigtes Dorf) and Schweriner Dom, which are both references to real world cities.

cos timeline-wise, your card happens like 200 years minimum after literally all the other sets?

Renaissance happens like 800 years minimum after literally Empires.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: July 03, 2019, 05:20:16 pm »

Chronicler
Types: Action, Attack
Cost: $4
+1 Action. Each player (including you) may reveal a Curse from their hand for +1 Villager and to take the Tome. Each other player gains a Curse, putting it into their hand.
Tome
Types: Artifact
At the start of your Buy phase, you may discard a Curse for +1 Coffers.
Chronicler is a Renaissance-themed Curser using Villagers, Coffers, and an Artifact. Everyone can get Villagers by revealing a Curse. The last player in turn order to reveal a Curse gets the Tome (because turn order applies. If everyone reveals a Curse, each player, starting with the current turn's player, takes the Tome). Then everyone else gets a Curse straight to their hand.
If someone can think of a better wording to make turn-order clearer for taking the Tome, let me know.

It can act as a splitter if you have Curses in your deck. The Tome lets you use 1 Curse for a Coffers each turn, but you can only get it by having a Curse when other players don't. The fact that Chronicler is non-terminal is neat, but will act against you if you actually double-Curse by giving the player to your right the Tome (until the Curse pile is emptied, anyway).
The Curse going to hand is also neat because players third or later in turn order are very likely to reveal a Curse to a turn 3 or 4 Chronicler, counterbalancing the typical first-player advantage in a way. You might not get to keep the Tome, though. Tome could just circle forever without ever triggering.

EDIT: Shift from a Guilds theme to a Renaissance theme. Previously could give Coffers to other players, but that risks speeding up multiplayer games from multiple coffers spawning between turns. Villagers are less volatile and the Artifact keeps a similar idea without ballooning the number of Coffers that appear with more players.
Original:
Sorceress | Types: Action, Attack | Cost: $3
+$1. Name a card. Each player (including you) may reveal a copy of the named card from their hand. Each player who does gets +1 Coffers. Each player who doesn't gains a Curse, putting it into their hand.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:48:10 pm by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: July 03, 2019, 05:22:41 pm »

doesn't the name of your card itself kinda break theme/canon tho? these are named after some russian guy from the late 18th century iirc

Why should it break canon? The themes of Hinterlands are trading, roads and foreign cultures. Mandarin is also a direct reference to imperial China and the German names of the cards Walled Village and Church are Carcassonne (only in the Hans im Glück version, it is now Befestigtes Dorf) and Schweriner Dom, which are both references to real world cities.

cos timeline-wise, your card happens like 200 years minimum after literally all the other sets?

Renaissance happens like 800 years minimum after literally Empires.

Dominion does not happen in our timeline. It’s a parallel universe. Or maybe Dominion plays in the same universe like Temporum, who knows?

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: July 03, 2019, 05:24:20 pm »

I would call it a Cursed token rather than Cursing. Cursing makes it sound like it gives other players curses rather than cursing yourself.

It does give other players curses though... I mean it can curse yourself also, but you'd be putting it on an action that your opponents are playing more than you.

But also cursed sounds cooler.

I agree Cursed sounds better and I think more accurate. The pile itself is cursed. Cursing works better if the token allowed you to do the cursing when you played the card (which could be a variant, if this way is too un-fun, though would have to be priced higher for sure).

I'll make this change for v0.2.

Other changes / tweaks I'm considering if it's too strong or slows games down too much:
• Adding "once per turn" for the token's effect: "Once per turn, when any player plays a card from that pile, they first gain a curse."
• Gain the curse to your hand, so you can plan to deal with it immediately.

For now, though I still like this version.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 03:27:46 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #35: curser to fit expansion
« Reply #2629 on: July 03, 2019, 05:33:18 pm »
+5

This one's for Adventures, of course. A Reserve curser that points toward giving big flocks out later game. It's got self emptying like Magpie to help influence timing, but won't work unless you gain a Province to avoid pointing to 3-pile rushes.
Something doesn't quite feel right about it...but here's the first draft for now.

Edit: new version that doesn't gain copies of itself and instead has Oasis as an option.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 02:39:45 am by Aquila »

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: July 03, 2019, 06:08:24 pm »
+1

If I submit this to an earlier round, can I still?

Yes as long as you didn’t win or get runner-up. However (without reading your card), I worry that a previously-designed card might not completely thematically fit an expansion, which is the first and largest judging criteria. Again, haven’t read your particular card.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 06:21:40 pm by anordinaryman »

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: July 03, 2019, 07:54:52 pm »
+1

Ok. Here's something I thought up right now. I'll probably tweak it a little. Update: This card had undergone a couple of changes. Now I've made a new card. See that Here

Seeing as there are no cursers in Dark Ages, I made Undead Witch for it. It's a witch that never dies. It's a curser that can keep giving curses to people when they trash them. It also allows you to trash your own curses to make sure that curses can even end up in the trash.

Dark Ages theme is cards that care about the trash. This is a trasher (for curses only) and a card that gains cards from the trash.

Thoughts?

Update1: You now get to trash curses and give out curses.
Update2: This card had undergone a couple of changes. Now I've made a new card. See that Here
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 01:14:36 pm by naitchman »

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: July 03, 2019, 08:01:24 pm »
+1

I'll take a stab at making a promo curser.
Here's Heretic. Super swingy alt-vp that allows you to do an absurd thing like get all the curses and use them instead of money.

Card text is :
While this card is in play, Curses gain the type "Treasure" and have the ability +$2.
Choose one or both:
• Gain a Curse to your hand.
• Each other player gains a Curse.
-
At the end of the game, if you have the most Curses, 2%

you'd clearly want enough of them to make them actually worth VP to offset the curses you take on.

Alternatively, you can just curse everyone else, and/or yourself!

Also ties into the promo's subtheme of "generally large/strange choices" (Governor, Envoy (for the player on yr left), Prince and Stash also exhibit a similar "large" decision space, Black Market exhibiting "strange" decision space).

edit: fixed image link

The while in play effect should probably be below a line.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: July 03, 2019, 08:07:27 pm »
+1

If I submit this to an earlier round, can I still?

Sorceress
Cost: $3
+$1. Name a card. Each player (including you) may reveal a copy of the named card from their hand. Each player who does gets +1 Coffers. Each player who doesn't gains a Curse, putting it into their hand.
Sorceress is a Guilds-themed Curser that kinda hits everybody. Anyone who can show a named card (Guilds sub-theme) gets 1 Coffers (Guilds main theme), even the player of it. Anyone who can't gains a Curse straight to hand. I'm still surprised there's no official card that gives other players Coffers.

Early you could hit Estates or your other opener for +Coffers and giving a Curse, but the Curse that you give will make it more likely that they can immediately benefit from the Curse by using Sorceress with it.
Later you can use greater variety and deck-drawing capacity to hand out Curses and get Coffers fairly reliably.
You could also name a card that doesn't exist to give out Curses and deal with yours immediately.

This seems a bit swingy. If I name a card and my opponent doesn't have it (something that will be reliant on luck) he gets a curse (which is -1 point and clogs his deck); if he does have it, not only does he not get a curse, but he gets a coffer. Considering that people consider Hexes swingy because some effects (all of which are pretty much negative) are not as powerful as others at certain times, a positive/negative effect would qualify as swingy too.

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: July 03, 2019, 10:31:58 pm »
+1

My entry:

Warlock

This is a Dark Ages card. Its two themes are trashing, and interacting with the trash.

If multiple players discard a Warlock from their hand, they gain in turn order.

Not often do you see an Attack/Reaction card. This card does a few interesting things. At first it just trashes and gives Curses. But, if you decide to trash a Curse, somebody can reveal Warlock to return the Curse to the Supply. Then there are more Curses to give out. Sometimes you only want to trash one card, so this makes you trash good cards sometimes to get rid of those nasty Curses. That's good, it forces good cards into the trash so other people can gain copies and increase the interaction. Since players will be gaining extra copies of things, that will speed the game up. That's good, since the Curses not ever emptying prevents some three-pile endings and we don't want the game to last forever. Finally, there are some interesting interactions with a few other cards. Does somebody want to Remodel a Gold to gain a Province? Well, you can gain that Gold. Somebody trash a card with Lurker? Well, you can either gain it or put it back in the Supply. One money short of a Province this turn? Gain a trashed Copper to your hand.

Warlock v2:

There are some problems with it. What happens if you reveal this when a Fortress is trashed? Does it go to the Supply or to your hand? What happens with Noble Brigand? It says that you gain the trashed treasures. Do you gain them, or do they return to the Supply?

Warlock v3:

Much simpler. Double Cursing can be quite powerful, but you have to trash an Action card to do it. This could be quite powerful with Rats, but you have to wait until there are actually Curses in the Trash before you can double Curse people, so that nerfs that Strategy a bit so that you can't immediately double Curse people. If you could always get Curses from the trash (Like Naitchman's version), it would just be a slog forever. This ensures that the game eventually cleans up unless you keep trashing action cards. Even then, people are trashing 2 and gaining 2 until the Curses run out. Then you're just trashing 2 and gaining 1 Curse, so it will still clean up.

Warlock v4

I changed "Trash up to 2 cards from your hand" to "Trash up to 2 differently named cards from your hand."

1) This was simply too powerful. It was a must-buy. Especially with junking in the game. All players were forced to buy it.
2) There's no reason to double Curse somebody if they can simply double-trash it. This slows down the trashing so that the Cursing is a bit more effective.

Warlock v5

This might be too powerful. We'll see.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 02:13:53 am by kru5h »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: July 03, 2019, 10:59:25 pm »
+2

For Renaissance, if for some reason that wasn't obvious.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: July 04, 2019, 12:06:31 am »

I'll take a stab at making a promo curser.
Here's Heretic. Super swingy alt-vp that allows you to do an absurd thing like get all the curses and use them instead of money.

Card text is :
While this card is in play, Curses gain the type "Treasure" and have the ability +$2.
Choose one or both:
• Gain a Curse to your hand.
• Each other player gains a Curse.
-
At the end of the game, if you have the most Curses, 2VP

This could actually also be an Intrigue curser, it is a Hybrid and has choices.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: July 04, 2019, 03:43:26 am »
+1

Alright, here's my attempt at a Traveller Cursor:

Child Action - Traveller - $2
Trash a card from your hand.
-
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Trainee.

Trainee Action - Traveller - $3*
Gain a non-Traveller card costing up to $3. You may put it on top of your deck.
-
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Sorcerer’s Apprentice.
(This is not in the Supply)

Sorcerer’s Apprentice Action - Traveller - $4*
Put a non-Reserve card from your hand onto your Tavern mat. If it is a...
...Action card, gain a card costing up to $5
...Treasure card, +$2, +1 Buy
...Victory or Curse card, +1 Card, +1 Action
-
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Sorcerer.

Sorcerer Action - Attack - Traveller - $5*
Each other player puts their -1 Card token on top of their deck.
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. You may trash one. Put the revealed Treasures into your hand, put the revealed Actions back in any order, and discard the rest.
-
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Master.

Master Action - Attack - $6*
+$1
You may put your +1 Card, +1 Action, +$1, or +1 Buy token on the Master pile. (When you play a Master, you first get that bonus).
Each other player gains 2 Curses. For each Curse they didn’t gain, they gain a Copper instead.

The Traveller that keeps on travelling! This is Adventures, obviously, with the following themes:
- Traveller
- Reserve Mat
- Tokens

I'm not sure if this is balanced at all or not. The main idea is that the Master continually gets better until it becomes a junking Grand Market (However, it takes you quite a while to get to that point). The other cards in the line can help you defend against other players' Masters by trashing (or pseudo-trashing) junk or drawing Coppers off the top of your deck. This line also has micro-themes of gaining and trashing.

I'm open to feedback on any of these cards. I put the most thought into Child and Master, and the rest I just kind of made up on the fly. Half of me feels like it's too weak, and the other half of me feels like it's too strong.

Edit: Master should say “Master pile” for the tokens, not Sorcerer pile. I changed it in the text but can’t change it on the image right now.

I'm also absolutely not married to the names. If anyone has any better ideas I'm completely open.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 04:18:08 am by mail-mi »
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: July 04, 2019, 04:15:47 am »
+1

My entry:

Warlock

This confused me when I first read it. I took returning 'it' to the Supply and gaining a copy of 'it' to be Warlock itself. Would saying 'the card' or 'that card' be more correct? Also, when a player trashes a non-Supply card...

Alright, here's my attempt at a Traveller Cursor:

Master Action - Attack - $6*
+$1
You may put your +1 Card, +1 Action, +$1, or +1 Buy token on the Sorcerer pile. (When you play a Sorcerer, you first get that bonus).
Each other player gains 2 Curses. For each Curse they didn’t gain, they gain a Copper instead.
The main idea is that the Master continually gets better until it becomes a junking Grand Market (However, it takes you quite a while to get to that point).
The tokens are going on the sorcerer pile, master isn't getting stronger.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: July 04, 2019, 04:16:57 am »

Oh, whoops, Master had originally been Sorcerer, and I forgot to change that when I changed the name.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #35: curser to fit expansion
« Reply #2640 on: July 04, 2019, 07:26:02 am »

This one's for Adventures, of course. A Reserve curser that points toward giving big flocks out later game. It's got self emptying like Magpie to help influence timing, but won't work unless you gain a Province to avoid pointing to 3-pile rushes.
Something doesn't quite feel right about it...but here's the first draft for now.

is a group of ravens still a murder? because this would straight up murder decks in flocks. i love it.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: July 04, 2019, 10:02:00 am »

Sorcerer’s Apprentice Action - Traveller - $4*
Put a non-Reserve card from your hand onto your Tavern mat. If it is a...
...Action card, gain a card costing up to $5
...Treasure card, +$2, +1 Buy
...Victory or Curse card, +1 Card, +1 Action
-

Why doesn't it just trash the card? Is it just so that it can interact with the Tavern Mat? There's no way to get it back right? The only way I can see this being different from trashing is with Miser.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: July 04, 2019, 11:11:44 am »

Greedy Witch
cost $2+ - Action - Attack
+$2
Use a coin token so that each other player gains a Curse.
---
When you buy this, if you didn't use a coin token, you may overpay for this. For each $1 you overpaid, take a coin token.

Guilds. Coin token and overpay.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: July 04, 2019, 11:28:30 am »
+2

Coven
Types: Event
Cost: $6
Move your Cursing token to an Action Supply pile with no other Cursing token on it. (When any player plays a card from that pile, they first gain a Curse.)
The immediate and obvious problem of Coven is how often it will push big-money strategies to the forefront, because one can always avoid Coven completely by having no Action cards. You could possibly have it move the Cursing token to a Supply pile costing at least $2 (to exclude Coppers).

Heretic
Types: Action, Attack, Victory
Cost: $5
While this card is in play, Curses gain the type "Treasure" and have the ability +$2. Choose one or both: Gain a Curse to your hand; or each other player gains a Curse.
If I play multiple Heretics, is it intended that Curses will continue to stack types (even if it is more Treasure types)? Do you intend the Curse to only ever produce $2, even if you play multiple Heretics? I'm not even sure how it would work. Are ties friendly (as in, multiple players each with the most Curses each get 2VP from their Heretics)? I'd assume so since Keep is friendly, but it has a clause for that.
I'm not sure I would like this very much due to the way the VP will play out so differently in multiplayer games. If giving Curses out is ideal then they split normally, but if its ability is ever relevant (though I'm not sure if it will ever be good enough to take Curses yourself), then the Curse split turns weird.

Potemkin Village
+1 Card. Discard 1 card. If it’s a Victory card: +1 Card and each other player gains a Curse, otherwise: +2 Actions.
1VP
When you gain this, gain an Estate.
Atop anything else, the two dividing lines make this card look very ugly and read strangely. It will probably be fine. I might worry that if a player begins to fall behind in Cursing they will be put even further behind by the Curses which do not cause Potemkin Village to give out Curses.

Raven
Types: Action, Reserve
+1 Card, +1 Action. you may gain a Raven. If you didn't, put this on your Tavern mat.
When you gain a Province, you may discard this from your Tavern mat. If you do, each other player gains a Curse.
I'm not a big fan of the "cantrip that auto-piles itself." I think Port and Magpie are already pretty bad and they don't even pile themselves as quickly as Raven will. This will split strangely in multiplayer games versus 2-player games. In 2-player games it would not be all too strange to give a player 4 or even 5 Curses with your first Province. In 3-player games you will be the lucky one to give 4 Curses. I think losing the Raven split would be an immediate death sentence in most 2-player games: Receiving 6+ Curses in response to another player gaining 1 Province will probably prevent you from doing anything else the rest of the game.

Undead Witch
Choose one: Each other player gains a Curse; or each other player gains a Curse from the trash; or trash up to 2 Curses from your hand.
In multiplayer games, I worry that the Cursing from the trash will give an uneven number of Curses when it doesn't want to. I'd just have Undead Witch's on-play put all the Curses in the trash back into the Supply and then dole them out normally. Regardless, this looks pretty weak at a cost of $5 without any benefit attached to it except for the unending Cursing. I might want some small value attached to it. Even +$1.

Warlock
Types: Action, Attack, Reaction
Trash 2 cards from your hand. Each other player gains a Curse.
When a player trashes a card, you may reveal this from your hand to return the trashed card to the Supply. Then you may discard this, to gain a copy of the trashed card to your hand.
The wording of the Reaction is confusing, so I hope you don't mind that I expanded it above. I think the ability to duplicate Provinces for yourself with multiple Warlocks is something to be wary of.

Living Statue
Types: Treasure, Attack
$1, +1 Villager. When you play this, if you have 3 or more Villagers, each other player gains a Curse.
This one is pretty clever. Around other Villager producing cards you could get the Curses coming out faster (especially the inter-set combo with Sculptor). Most of the existing cards make Villagers difficult to access though, so I would worry that Living Statue is too strong as a splitter compared to other Villager-producing cards, and then suddenly there are a bunch of Curses in the game.

Rent Seeker
+1 Card, +1 Coffers. If you have at least 3 Coffers tokens, each other player gains a Curse. If they did, they get +1 Coffers
You need an image to apply for the contest.
Either way, a terminal +1 Card is super awkward. I wouldn't recommend it.

Child
Types: Action, Traveller
Cost: $2
Trash a card from your hand.
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Trainee.
Trainee
Cost: $3*
Gain a non-Traveller card costing up to $3. You may put it on top of your deck.
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Sorcerer’s Apprentice.
Sorcerer’s Apprentice
Cost: $4*
Put a non-Reserve card from your hand onto your Tavern mat. If it is a... ...Action card, gain a card costing up to $5. ...Treasure card, +$2, +1 Buy. ...Victory or Curse card, +1 Card, +1 Action
Sorcerer
Cost: $5*
Each other player puts their -1 Card token on top of their deck. Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. You may trash one. Put the revealed Treasures into your hand, put the revealed Actions back in any order, and discard the rest.
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Master.
Master
Types: Action
Cost: $6*
+$1
You may put your +1 Card, +1 Action, +$1, or +1 Buy token on the Master pile. (When you play a Master, you first get that bonus). Each other player gains 2 Curses. For each Curse they didn’t gain, they gain a Copper instead.
I think raw "trash a card" is also too good on the first level of a Traveller: It speeds up your deck and makes it easier to continue the Traveller line. If you want Master, I see little reason you wouldn't open with 4 (or more) Child cards considering it gives so much tempo towards what your deck is trying to do.
Also Sorcerer's Apprentice's ability to tuck Victory cards away forever is trying to slip under the radar here. That effect is pretty ridiculous. I think it should not be able to put Victory cards away, let alone giving a benefit for doing so.
Why doesn't [Sorcerer's Apprentice] just trash the card? Is it just so that it can interact with the Tavern Mat? There's no way to get it back right? The only way I can see this being different from trashing is with Miser.
A Victory or Curse card on your Tavern mat is still a part of your deck and will influence your score. Actions and Treasures typically won't matter, but the wording would become more complex if you treated them differently. Maybe the semantic complexity (players wondering what cards sitting on their Tavern mat are doing) would be worth alleviating with word complexity.

Greedy Witch
Cost: $2+
+$2. Use a coin token so that each other player gains a Curse.
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpaid, take a Coin token.
You need an image to apply for the contest.
Overpaying for Coffers is an issue fraught with huge problems. You can functionally set aside coins to buy Provinces very, very fast. I'd steer clear of the concept of overpaying for Coffers.

Sorceress
This seems a bit swingy. If I name a card and my opponent doesn't have it (something that will be reliant on luck) he gets a curse (which is -1 point and clogs his deck); if he does have it, not only does he not get a curse, but he gets a coffer. Considering that people consider Hexes swingy because some effects (all of which are pretty much negative) are not as powerful as others at certain times, a positive/negative effect would qualify as swingy too.
I think this is a fair characterization, but is somewhat sidestepping the inherently swingy nature of Curse-centered games. If you have Curses, you have more stop cards, which means the random order of your deck becomes more important.
The original version had no "name a card", always triggering off of Curses (which makes it less Guildsy) and the Cursing was unconditional. Do you suppose making the Cursing unconditional to other players (and therefore increasing the cost to $4) be a major improvement? To do that, I'd probably need to change the "name a card" thing to ensure that it still involves opportunity for other players to get Coffers, but that can be approximated.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: July 04, 2019, 11:46:40 am »

Rent Seeker
Action/Attack - $3
+1 Card
+1 Coffers
If you have at least 3 Coffers tokens, each other player gains a Curse. If they did, they get +1 Coffers

1. You have to mention which expansion this is supposed to go with. Is it Guilds or Renaissance?
2. You also need to have an image for the card (not necessarily with art).
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #2645 on: July 04, 2019, 12:21:14 pm »
+1

Heretic
While this card is in play, Curses gain the type "Treasure" and have the ability +$2. Choose one or both: Gain a Curse to your hand; or each other player gains a Curse.
If I play multiple Heretics, is it intended that Curses will continue to stack types (even if it is more Treasure types)? Do you intend the Curse to only ever produce $2, even if you play multiple Heretics? I'm not even sure how it would work. Are ties friendly (as in, multiple players each with the most Curses each get 2VP from their Heretics)? I'd assume so since Keep is friendly, but it has a clause for that.
I'm not sure I would like this very much due to the way the VP will play out so differently in multiplayer games. If giving Curses out is ideal then they split normally, but if its ability is ever relevant (though I'm not sure if it will ever be good enough to take Curses yourself), then the Curse split turns weird.

the intent is that curses become functionally equivalent to silvers and that the most cursed player ends up gaining 2vp/heretic; ties are friendly (which you're right, does need to be specified). The double treasure thing you specified when multiples are played i don't think matters (i'm operating under the assumption that card types are a Set - no duplicates - but even if I'm wrong with that i still don't think it matters in this case bc there's no limit to the number of treasures you can play during your buy phase).

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: July 04, 2019, 12:30:00 pm »
+1

My entry:

Warlock

This is a Dark Ages card. Its two themes are trashing, and interacting with the trash.

If multiple players discard a Warlock from their hand, they gain in turn order.

Not often do you see an Attack/Reaction card. This card does a few interesting things. At first it just trashes and gives Curses. But, if you decide to trash a Curse, somebody can reveal Warlock to return the Curse to the Supply. Then there are more Curses to give out. Sometimes you only want to trash one card, so this makes you trash good cards sometimes to get rid of those nasty Curses. That's good, it forces good cards into the trash so other people can gain copies and increase the interaction. Since players will be gaining extra copies of things, that will speed the game up. That's good, since the Curses not ever emptying prevents some three-pile endings and we don't want the game to last forever. Finally, there are some interesting interactions with a few other cards. Does somebody want to Remodel a Gold to gain a Province? Well, you can gain that Gold. Somebody trash a card with Lurker? Well, you can either gain it or put it back in the Supply. One money short of a Province this turn? Gain a trashed Copper to your hand.
The last instance of "it" needs to be "that card" because the most recent noun is "this", so as written it lets you gain lots of Warlocks.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: July 04, 2019, 01:23:55 pm »

Greedy Witch
cost $2+ - Action - Attack
+$2
Use a coin token so that each other player gains a Curse.
---
When you buy this, if you didn't use a coin token, you may overpay for this. For each $1 you overpaid, take a coin token.

Guilds. Coin token and overpay.

Why "if you didn't use a coin token"? I don't see how this makes any difference. Wouldn't eliminating that clause only add the ability to spend x coin tokens to get x coin tokens back? It wouldn't ever help you to do that.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: July 04, 2019, 01:46:25 pm »
+1

Coven

I just had an idea (you can take it or leave it). What if there was a single cursed token that was shared by all players. Buying the event would move it to the pile of your liking. This would mean in 4 player games it wouldn't get too crazy with 4 cursed tokens.

Also, it would appear you have a typo on the card (playa)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 01:47:38 pm by naitchman »

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: July 04, 2019, 02:03:43 pm »

I took all the advice on this thread and changed Warlock.

Warlock v2:

Changed "it" to "that card" in most places. Put a restriction to $6 gains so you can't gain provinces.

I also had to get rid of "to your hand." If you could gain a card to your hand, you could potentially trash Mining Village for +$2, Warlock it back to your hand, then play Mining Village again to get the Warlock back into your hand for an infinite loop of money.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 21 queries.