Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546627 times)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #2575 on: June 27, 2019, 05:27:49 pm »
+2

Returned Adventurer
cost $5 - Action
Name a type. Reveal 5 cards from your deck. Put 2 cards with that type into your hand, and discard the rest.
Cool idea but strictly worse than Embassy. I'd make the card dig for 2 cards of the named type and consider a price of $4 or consider another buff.

That would be strictly better than Adventurer.
And? Adventurer is a) removed and is b) underpowered like Mandarin, i.e. it sucks at any price.

Even though it's small, the fact that Embassy gives your opponents a Silver on-gain is intended to act as a drawback; which means that Returned Adventurer having a strictly worse effect for the same price is ok. Though I agree it's probably much weaker than Embassy.

Removed or not; no official second edition cards are strictly stronger or weaker than first edition cards. Even if it's a really minor drawback (like hey, maybe your opponents gain a Silver when you gain it!), I think it should have something to prevent it from being strictly stronger than Adventurer.
I faintly remember that LFN argued that Adventurer could cost $2. Sounds right given that in an engine it is worse than Moat.
Using a mispriced, underpowered, removed card as benchmark for fan cards leads to mispriced fan cards.

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: June 27, 2019, 05:31:18 pm »

Returned Adventurer
cost $5 - Action
Name a type. Reveal 5 cards from your deck. Put 2 cards with that type into your hand, and discard the rest.
Cool idea but strictly worse than Embassy. I'd make the card dig for 2 cards of the named type and consider a price of $4 or consider another buff.

And? Adventurer is a) removed and is b) underpowered like Mandarin, i.e. it sucks at any price.

Even though it's small, the fact that Embassy gives your opponents a Silver on-gain is intended to act as a drawback; which means that Returned Adventurer having a strictly worse effect for the same price is ok. Though I agree it's probably much weaker than Embassy.

Removed or not; no official second edition cards are strictly stronger or weaker than first edition cards. Even if it's a really minor drawback (like hey, maybe your opponents gain a Silver when you gain it!), I think it should have something to prevent it from being strictly stronger than Adventurer.

Technically, it is not strictly better. If you have 5 victory cards on the top of your deck, adventurer is better since it continues to search. I know that's small but that's enough to make it not strictly better. It's pretty much better but not strictly better, and pretty much better is okay when it comes to universally agreed mispriced cards (Noble brigand is pretty much better than Thief, miser is pretty much better than pirate ship).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 05:35:13 pm by naitchman »

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: June 27, 2019, 05:37:32 pm »

Returned Adventurer
cost $5 - Action

Technically, it is not strictly better. If you have 5 victory cards on the top of your deck, adventurer is better since it continues to search. I know that's small but that's enough to make it not strictly better. It's pretty much better but not strictly better, and pretty much better is okay (Noble brigand is pretty much better than Thief).

The strictly better was to the suggested modification of "I'd make the card dig for 2 cards of the named type", not the original.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: June 27, 2019, 05:39:15 pm »

Ok. Looks like we're going with fragasnap's contest. Here's my submission:

It's a BoM variant (again, I know) that has specific cards it plays. These cards are not part of the supply, so the only way to play them would be through Crime Lord, and you'll always be able to play Crime Lord as them (unlike BoM when the pile depletes), but there's only 3. Will it be worth it? Depends on the 3 Underlings cards and depends on the kingdom.

Beat ya to it!
Band of Misfits, except made up of even MORE misfits than the other Band-of-misfits
$5                    Action
Play this as if it were one of the set aside cards on the BOMEMUOEMMTTOBOM mat. This is that card until it leaves play.
----
Setup: add 3 action cards not used in this kingdom, each costing $4, to the BOMEMUOEMMTTOBOM mat.

(I actually don't think this would be a horrible idea or anything, but it's still a funny one to me)

HA! I give my word that I thought of this card independently. It's pretty similar, with the exception that I allow $3 cards on the Underlings Mat. Funny that it's in RBCI, like you said it would be fine, it only just has a funny Mat name.

(This kind of reminds me of South Park's "Simpsons Did It" episode)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 05:43:10 pm by naitchman »

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: June 27, 2019, 05:41:30 pm »

Returned Adventurer
cost $5 - Action

Technically, it is not strictly better. If you have 5 victory cards on the top of your deck, adventurer is better since it continues to search. I know that's small but that's enough to make it not strictly better. It's pretty much better but not strictly better, and pretty much better is okay (Noble brigand is pretty much better than Thief).

The strictly better was to the suggested modification of "I'd make the card dig for 2 cards of the named type", not the original.

Oops you're right. Still I think what Segura said is right. Using mispriced cards as a benchmark is a bad idea.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #2580 on: June 27, 2019, 06:02:33 pm »
+2

Sanctuary
Action - $6
Trash any number of cards from your hand. Gain a non-Victory card costing up to $5 minus $1 per card you trashed (but not less than $0).

Here's my card. Good for trashing and gaining. If you only trash one card, it's strictly worse than Altar, but Sanctuary can trash a lot more and can be used once you're out of trash fodder.

Version 2: Updated the wording and made it non-Victory gaining to prevent easy double duchies in the endgame.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 08:12:19 pm by mail-mi »
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: June 27, 2019, 06:09:49 pm »

I think it needs to be either 5$ or 7$.  Altar is ok at 6$ because it trashes one at a time so it's a little less swingy for only one player to get it.  This is pretty nuts if only one player hits the 6$ to get it only, they can trash 3 cards and gain a pawn or something, that's about as close as it gets to unequal access Chapel.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: June 27, 2019, 06:28:39 pm »

I think it needs to be either 5$ or 7$.  Altar is ok at 6$ because it trashes one at a time so it's a little less swingy for only one player to get it.  This is pretty nuts if only one player hits the 6$ to get it only, they can trash 3 cards and gain a pawn or something, that's about as close as it gets to unequal access Chapel.

I was considering $5, but I’m not sure if it’s okay that Sanctuary could then gain copies of itself.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: June 27, 2019, 06:54:14 pm »

I mental mistepped that you'd have to trash at least one.  I think you need to remove the ability to trash 0 even if it stays at 6$, really, it's probably a little too versatile for your remake variant to start slamming double Duchy turns in greening phase no matter what tier of purchase it happened at.  Even altar requires you to lose a copper the turn you gain a Duchy which goes a long way to making it not a double duchy turn.

I think it's probably fine at 7$ as written.  Forge-copper-copper-copper-estate is a little better than
Sanctuary-copper-copper-copper-estate but greening phase Sanctuary-copper-Silver-Silver-Province is a lot better than what Forge offers.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 06:56:27 pm by popsofctown »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: June 27, 2019, 08:04:31 pm »

I mental mistepped that you'd have to trash at least one.  I think you need to remove the ability to trash 0 even if it stays at 6$, really, it's probably a little too versatile for your remake variant to start slamming double Duchy turns in greening phase no matter what tier of purchase it happened at.  Even altar requires you to lose a copper the turn you gain a Duchy which goes a long way to making it not a double duchy turn.

I think it's probably fine at 7$ as written.  Forge-copper-copper-copper-estate is a little better than
Sanctuary-copper-copper-copper-estate but greening phase Sanctuary-copper-Silver-Silver-Province is a lot better than what Forge offers.

I think without being able to trash 0 it would be okay at $5. Then it can't ever gain Duchies or good actions. But then in most cases it's just a Chapel that junks you too. So maybe putting it at $7 would be better--I like that it's still pretty useful in the late game. I think I'll go with the version at $7
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 08:08:07 pm by mail-mi »

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: June 27, 2019, 08:05:51 pm »

Maybe just restrict to non-victory cards.

Also you could just say gain a card costing $5 minus $1 per card you trashed but not less than $0. It would be a little less wordy.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: June 27, 2019, 08:08:42 pm »
+1

Maybe just restrict to non-victory cards.

Also you could just say gain a card costing $5 minus $1 per card you trashed but not less than $0. It would be a little less wordy.

I like this a lot. Then you can't use it for Duchy gaining.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: June 27, 2019, 08:16:20 pm »

Here's my entry.  Smelter is an odd trash for benefit card that offers a choice of either a Salvager/Beggar effect (trash a card, gain a bunch of Coppers to your hand) or a Forge-like gaining effect that works only on Coppers.  Early game, it's nice for turning clumps of Coppers into Silvers or engine parts, or occasionally for trashing Estates to hit a certain price point.  Later, the two options can work more closely in tandem (especially if you're able to play multiples per turn) for trashing expensive cards into Coppers and then the Coppers into Provinces.  Also be alert: Smelters can empty the Copper pile very quickly if you're not careful.

I'm sure this was unintentional, but this is actually the exact same design as one of the winners of the Mini-Set Design Contest rinkworks hosted back in 2012 (excluding the cost).

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=3382.msg71526#msg71526

Nice catch, Titandrake, I guess it turns out nothing is ever new.

I had a hard time figuring out what this card should cost, and went with $5 as the mass early trashing and gaining felt slightly too strong for the opening, but I could definitely be wrong here. $3 feels too cheap, but perhaps a cheaper, more openable version would play more fairly overall. Funny to see that this card idea has been well received in the past.

I appreciate the upvotes and feedback, and I'd be happy to bow out of this week's challenge if need be, given the repeat idea. I'll leave it to Fragasnap.

Cheers!

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: June 27, 2019, 09:52:16 pm »
+2

Updated version. Now it only works on cards costing $5, so it's nerfed and it can't play Golems. Golem can play it, but the chaining ends after that. I made it cost 5 Debt instead so that it can't play itself, and Debt actually works pretty well with the card overall because it's not something you want in the very beginning. Also, now you can discard any of the revealed Actions instead of playing them, so you can avoid any undesired effects, particularly trashing. Golem already has this problem, but it's 10 times worse with a reduced handsize, so I think it's better to give this option.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 09:54:44 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: June 27, 2019, 11:20:32 pm »
+3

CHALLENGE #34 - No Vanilla Bonuses Submission: (Updated / final version)

Consul
Type: Action
Cost: $4

Trash a card from your hand. The player to your left names a more expensive Action card in the Supply.
Choose one: gain and then play the named card; or gain a silver.

My favorite interaction cards are ones like Contraband, Advisor, and Envoy. So, here is a sorta upgrade variant in that vein! I will say this card nicely has some cool synergy with alt-cost cards without having to spell them out, and I like that. You can get your opponent to consul you into upgrading an engineer into an overlord -- not bad! You can always turn your golds into possessions (and transmutes if there are no other potion cards). Good advice! Of course, if you don't like your opponent's advice, you can always take the silver, but that doesn't go to your hand and is a pretty weak upgrade.

If you ignore the fun opponent part of this card, it's trash a card, gain a silver. Not the most inspiring on its own, but is definitely useful as a mediocre upgrader. The fun part, and the way to make the most of this card, is trashing the right cards and building a flexible enough deck, that you want the action cards your opponent gives you. And if your deck can't handle too many terminals, you can turn them into silvers, something that's often useful in decks that can't handle many terminals (exceptions being a minion deck with no villages ... that deck does not want too many silvers, it would rather have candlestick makers. Which your Consul can help you turn your coppers into!).

I have updated this to address the issue of your opponent giving you too many terminals. The way I originally I had this card in my own files attached a village effect to it and gained the card to hand, but I like the theming of a forced play. But the forced play does open up some issues, so I modified this so you always have a decent fallback -- silver. Silver is fine because there is always an action card costing 1 more than it -- Consul!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 08:45:07 am by anordinaryman »

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: June 27, 2019, 11:32:00 pm »

Sanctuary
Action - $6
Trash any number of cards from your hand. Gain a non-Victory card costing up to $5 minus $1 per card you trashed (but not less than $0).

Here's my card. Good for trashing and gaining. If you only trash one card, it's strictly worse than Altar, but Sanctuary can trash a lot more and can be used once you're out of trash fodder.

Version 2: Updated the wording and made it non-Victory gaining to prevent easy double duchies in the endgame.

Maybe it's the mathematician in me being too pedantic, but I think this new wording doesn't work.

I would simplify first, i,e if I trashed 6 cards, I would read this as "Gain a non-Victory card costing up to -$1 (but not less than $0)" and think I couldn't gain a card since I can't gain anything that both costs up to -$1 and not less than $0.

Maybe use Poor House's wording: "(You can't go below $0.)"? Still doesn't work exactly, but it's better.

Like I said, probably too pedantic.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 12:56:38 am by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: June 28, 2019, 12:32:14 am »

Sanctuary
Action - $6

Maybe it's the mathematician in me being too pedantic, but I think this new wording doesn't work.

I would simply first, i,e if I trashed 6 cards, I would read this as "Gain a non-Victory card costing up to -$1 (but not less than $0)" and think I couldn't gain a card since I can't gain anything that both costs up to -$1 and not less than $0.

Maybe use Poor House's wording: "(You can't go below $0.)"? Still doesn't work exactly, but it's better.

Like I said, probably too pedantic.

I think the wording is fine; even if you want to be pedantic, you could easily read the "not less than $0" part as a modifier on the cost, not a prohibition on gaining cards costing less than $0.  That reading puts mental parentheses around "costing up to ($5 minus $1 per card you trashed (but not less than $0))", which is both an acceptably pedantic way to read it and the normal, non-pedantic way that it was intended.

Mentioning "going below $0" would be more confusing for me, since the card doesn't give you money or take away any money, and that wording would seem to be saying something about your coin total rather than the cost of the gained card.

Ultimately all these would just be clarified in the FAQ, and most people would assume the correct play and not need to check the rulebook.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: June 28, 2019, 03:27:25 am »

Polymath
$3 - Action

If you don't have Deluded or Envious, take Envious.
Do this twice: Choose one: Put your deck into your discard, or look through your discard pile and reveal a card costing up to $6 from it, and put it into your hand.
Updated version of Polymath to make it more useful.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: June 28, 2019, 04:00:19 am »

Polymath
$3 - Action

Do this twice: Choose one: Put your deck into your discard, or look through your discard pile and reveal a card costing up to $6 from it, and put it into your hand.
As this is not limited to drawing Treasures anymore, Envious and the cost limitation seem out of place. It also nerfs the card too much, i.e. targetdraw 2 cards (best case scenario) plus -x Coins seems pretty weak.
I'd also buff the card further: if you have no discard simply draw like Mountain Village.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 04:05:52 am by segura »

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: June 28, 2019, 05:51:51 am »

Polymath
$3 - Action

As this is not limited to drawing Treasures anymore, Envious and the cost limitation seem out of place. It also nerfs the card too much, i.e. targetdraw 2 cards (best case scenario) plus -x Coins seems pretty weak.
I'd also buff the card further: if you have no discard simply draw like Mountain Village.
Ah, but simple draw would be a vanilla effect. Also then it is too easy to use, I prefer stuff that makes you work a bit to use it. I think the Envious nerf still has its place as otherwise it's strong and boring in money games. I may drop the price restriction though, that is unnecessarily complicated.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 05:59:23 am by faust »

artless

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: June 28, 2019, 06:13:54 am »
+3

Everyone is submitting weird things.
So do I.

---

Broker
$4 Action
Reveal cards from the Black Market deck until you reveal two action cards. Play one of the revealed action cards. Put the rest on the bottom of the Black Market deck in any order.
When that card leaves play, put it on the bottom of the Black Market deck.
Setup: Make a Black Market deck out of different unused Kingdom cards.

---

Edit:
Reveal 3 cards -> Reveal 2 actions
Renamed into Broker
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 01:45:01 am by artless »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: June 28, 2019, 09:47:05 am »

Discovery
$4 Action
Reveal the top 3 cards of the Black Market deck. You may play one of the revealed cards. Put the rest on the bottom of the Black Market deck in any order.
Ignoring whether this is balanced and should perhaps cost $5, it is far more practical than Black Market as you do not have to exchange the randomizer for the Kingdom card.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: June 28, 2019, 10:23:06 am »
+1

Discovery
$4 Action
Reveal the top 3 cards of the Black Market deck. You may play one of the revealed cards. Put the rest on the bottom of the Black Market deck in any order.
I'd make it a setup rule to not put Durations in the Black Market deck. Also there is a certain amount of weirdness with being able to "play" pure Victory cards with this.

The card is weird in that its power level kind of depends on the size of the BM deck, way more than BM itself. With only 20 cards in there, you're shuffling like every 6-7 plays, that gives you a decent amount of control. With 200 cards, it plays random all the way through.

I think the pricing is probably fine, it is like Bard with higher variance. Bard is most of the time a ~$4.5 on play, and that is also roughly the average value of a card from the BM deck.

wittyhowlard

• Swindler
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: June 28, 2019, 02:13:37 pm »
+3

No Attack submissions yet! Guess I'll have to make one:

A handsize attack and a curser for $3? What a bargain! Only problem is, you have to also discard something out of your hand to curse others. And it can't be that old moldy Estate that's just sitting around in your deck - it has to be at least a pawn or peasant if someone else discarded a copper. And you don't get any benefits out of playing the action so you better hope your curser activates...

Intimidate
Action - Attack - $3
Each other player with at least four cards in hand discards a card. You may then discard a non-victory card from your hand that costs at least $2 more than one of the discarded cards. If you did, each other player gains a curse.

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: June 28, 2019, 06:09:41 pm »

Ok. Looks like we're going with fragasnap's contest. Here's my submission:

It's a BoM variant (again, I know) that has specific cards it plays. These cards are not part of the supply, so the only way to play them would be through Crime Lord, and you'll always be able to play Crime Lord as them (unlike BoM when the pile depletes), but there's only 3. Will it be worth it? Depends on the 3 Underlings cards and depends on the kingdom.

My idea was pretty similar, but with a pile like black market made with $5 cards (reveal top 3 cards, play as one of them). I thougt that at $4 it will be ok, because of the random effect. I really like the flavor of the mat, btw.

Discovery
$4 Action
It seems that it is a pretty common idea xD
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 06:11:56 pm by Freddy10 »
Who trashes the trashers?
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.