Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546296 times)

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #2550 on: June 26, 2019, 09:10:22 am »

CHALLENGE #34 - No Vanilla Bonuses Submission:

Consul
Type: Action
Cost: $4

Trash a card from your hand. The player to your left chooses an action card costing more than it for you to gain and play.

You probably want to add "other than Consul".

Why? Part of the risk/fun for me is that your opponent could turn the rest of your hand into consuls. Do you consider this too much of a weakness? Is the pile-driving potential too not-Dominion-y? This got heavily up-voted, so can you or anyone who up-voted it help me understand? There's a perspective I'm not seeing.

It is intended that Consuls aren't so bad for you to gain since they cost 4 -- you can consul a consul into a 5-cost card. I have another solution in mind, but I wanted to understand what the problem is.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #2551 on: June 26, 2019, 09:31:52 am »
+1

Gossip - Action-Duration - $3
Until the end of your next turn, Villagers can be removed from Villagers mats during their owner's Action phase for +1 Action each or +1 Card each. This card affects all players.
I think this might get disqualified as the +1 Action / +1 Card would count as "Conditional Vanilla++ effects".
If a card read "While this is in play, when you play an Action, +1 Card," I would disqualify it, so modifying tokens to give additional Vanilla++ benefits must disqualify Gossip.
If it gave a non-Vanilla++ effect (or some kind of scaling effect) for consuming tokens (or any other trigger) then it would be fine.

fair enough.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: June 26, 2019, 09:59:37 am »
+10

Here's my entry.  Smelter is an odd trash for benefit card that offers a choice of either a Salvager/Beggar effect (trash a card, gain a bunch of Coppers to your hand) or a Forge-like gaining effect that works only on Coppers.  Early game, it's nice for turning clumps of Coppers into Silvers or engine parts, or occasionally for trashing Estates to hit a certain price point.  Later, the two options can work more closely in tandem (especially if you're able to play multiples per turn) for trashing expensive cards into Coppers and then the Coppers into Provinces.  Also be alert: Smelters can empty the Copper pile very quickly if you're not careful. 

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: June 26, 2019, 11:38:46 am »

Here's my entry.  Smelter is an odd trash for benefit card that offers a choice of either a Salvager/Beggar effect (trash a card, gain a bunch of Coppers to your hand) or a Forge-like gaining effect that works only on Coppers.  Early game, it's nice for turning clumps of Coppers into Silvers or engine parts, or occasionally for trashing Estates to hit a certain price point.  Later, the two options can work more closely in tandem (especially if you're able to play multiples per turn) for trashing expensive cards into Coppers and then the Coppers into Provinces.  Also be alert: Smelters can empty the Copper pile very quickly if you're not careful.

This is an amazingly designed card. It is very simple to understand since the two effects are basically mirrors of each other. Having a weak forge and a weak salvager with self-synergy and combined into one card... I just love this card. I very much could see this card existing in a Dominion expansion. Nice work!

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: June 26, 2019, 04:10:10 pm »
+1

I have a hard time seeing the usefulness of this card.

At its price point it's not really an early game card, and even if you do get a 2/5 split, you could easily get unlucky and get Smelter-C-C-E-E or something like that on turn 3.

The ability to trash is necessary early on and by the time you can get it (turn 5-6) your deck has too many non coppers that make this ability less useful. Besides you only start with 7 coppers so how much can you use this (yes I know of it's other ability, I'll get to that in a second)?

It's other ability is gaining coppers which you usually don't want to do (beggar is usually not a great card unless there's some alt VP strat or something like that). Salvager would seem better. Not only is it cheaper, but it doesn't flood your deck with coppers.

Using the abilities together is not so great either. If you throne room a smelter (or play 2) to trash a card and then gain a card from all those coppers, you get an effect that is not as good as a single play of salvager (if you salvage a $4 card with $2 silvers in hand, you can buy a province or 2 $4 cards. If you Smelt a $4 card with 2 silvers in hand and then smelt again you get 2 $4 cards. You could get a province but then you'd have to keep the copper).

I think the price needs to come down probably to $3 (at least to $4 so you can open with it).

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: June 26, 2019, 04:28:17 pm »
+1

Here's my entry for this week's challenge:

Cabal

Cabal is a TR variant that can't be drawn dead. It can also TR Night cards.

I am considering a simpler Night clause:
"You may play a Night card from your hand twice or put this on top of your deck."

But this current wording doesn't seem too difficult and creates some interesting side effects:
• you can't top deck multiple Cabals
• you may sometimes have a difficult decision when you have a Night card that don't want to play (either once or twice), e.g. Changeling.
• lastly, I'm considering creating several cards that care about revealing (ala Patron) so this may help with that.

I'm comparing this to Royal Carriage.

Besides technical ways in which they TR (RC can't TR self trashers, you can use multiple RC on a single action card) here are the important differences that I see:

Pros of Cabal
1) Can TR night cards- The caveat is that there aren't many night cards (15), and some of them aren't good TR targets (Guardian, Raider).
2) Can TR itself- This is very helpful if you are low on actions

Cons of Cabal
1) Can only save 1 for future turns (unlike RC which has no limit on how many can be on your tavern)
2) When you save it for future turns, it takes up a space in your next hand- You only draw 4 new cards (besides Cabal), whereas with RC you draw 5 new cards

Absent of its ability to TR night cards, Cabal is a TR that can save itself in a weaker way than RC. It would obviously be TR<Cabal<RC. It would have to be more than $4 (because it's better than TR) but it couldn't be $5 (because it's weaker than RC). The Q is whether the ability to TR night cards pushes it up to $5. It doesn't really seem like it unless there's a night heavy kingdom.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: June 26, 2019, 04:43:48 pm »

Here's a variant on Adventurer/Counting House that will hopefully be more useful than either of them.

Polymath
$5 - Action

If you don't have Deluded or Envious, take Envious. Look through your discard pile and reveal up to 2 Treasures costing up to $6 from it, and put them into your hand.
(I'm assuming BTW that when you say "costing up to $6" you mean "each costing up to $6" not a total of $6 between the 2 of them)

Even assuming you add the discard your deck part, this is going to have similar problems to adventurer. Take the following scenarios:

There are not any kingdom treasures:
This is a really bad buy here. At best it's a terminal +$2, if you have golds or silvers in hand it can be negative $.

You're playing an engine and there are kingdom treasures:
This is a terminal that draws 2 cards. Also, since it only draws treasures, absent of capitalism or crown, it will only give you cards that don't help your engine continue. This is usually not what you want with an engine.

You're playing BM and there are kingdom treasures:
This is the most promising but still has problems. Keep in mind that most kingdom treasures that cost less than $6 only produce $2. This means this will net you $4. However, If you're playing BM, you'll likely have silver and gold which will cut away from that $4 gain. You could try to go for a deck with kingdom treasures (like idol) and polymaths but I think this could probably be beat with a simple BM smithy or some other BM enabler.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 04:46:19 pm by naitchman »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: June 26, 2019, 05:08:29 pm »
+1

The point of Polymath really seems to be kingdom treasures with special effects but those treasure are just not even close to a high enough percentage of to cardpool for this to work with full random card selection.

It needs to be a split pile that guarantees the special effect works like Sauna/Gladiator/Catapult etc.

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: June 26, 2019, 05:27:49 pm »

I have a hard time seeing the usefulness of this card.

At its price point it's not really an early game card, and even if you do get a 2/5 split, you could easily get unlucky and get Smelter-C-C-E-E or something like that on turn 3.

The ability to trash is necessary early on and by the time you can get it (turn 5-6) your deck has too many non coppers that make this ability less useful. Besides you only start with 7 coppers so how much can you use this (yes I know of it's other ability, I'll get to that in a second)?

It's other ability is gaining coppers which you usually don't want to do (beggar is usually not a great card unless there's some alt VP strat or something like that). Salvager would seem better. Not only is it cheaper, but it doesn't flood your deck with coppers.

Using the abilities together is not so great either. If you throne room a smelter (or play 2) to trash a card and then gain a card from all those coppers, you get an effect that is not as good as a single play of salvager (if you salvage a $4 card with $2 silvers in hand, you can buy a province or 2 $4 cards. If you Smelt a $4 card with 2 silvers in hand and then smelt again you get 2 $4 cards. You could get a province but then you'd have to keep the copper).

I think the price needs to come down probably to $3 (at least to $4 so you can open with it).

I disagree. If you build a draw engine a bit first, the ability to turn 4 coppers into a 4 cost (or 5 coppers into a 5 cost) is incredibly strong. This is far too strong at a $3. I think the mass-trashing and flexibility means this belongs as a 5-cost. To make it stronger a +buy could be attached (this makes some sense you can buy coppers with the +buy) or some sort of (you main gain a copper to hand), but I would buy this card for 5 for sure. I might treat it like a cheaper forge, and I think that sort of delayed-mass-trashing is better implemented by this card than forge.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: June 26, 2019, 06:36:39 pm »
+1

Behold, a card that out-Golems Golem! Plays 3 Action cards instead of just 2... at the cost of first discarding everything. Well, at least you won't have to worry about the Djinns becoming useless if you've drawn your deck...

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: June 26, 2019, 08:24:00 pm »

Cabal

"You may play a Night card from your hand twice or put this on top of your deck."

But this current wording doesn't seem too difficult and creates some interesting side effects:
• you may sometimes have a difficult decision when you have a Night card that don't want to play (either once or twice), e.g. Changeling.
• lastly, I'm considering creating several cards that care about revealing (ala Patron) so this may help with that.

Besides technical ways in which they TR (RC can't TR self trashers, you can use multiple RC on a single action card) here are the important differences that I see:

Pros of Cabal
1) Can TR night cards- The caveat is that there aren't many night cards (15), and some of them aren't good TR targets (Guardian, Raider).

Cons of Cabal
1) Can only save 1 for future turns (unlike RC which has no limit on how many can be on your tavern)
2) When you save it for future turns, it takes up a space in your next hand- You only draw 4 new cards (besides Cabal), whereas with RC you draw 5 new cards

Absent of its ability to TR night cards, Cabal is a TR that can save itself in a weaker way than RC. It would obviously be TR<Cabal<RC. It would have to be more than $4 (because it's better than TR) but it couldn't be $5 (because it's weaker than RC). The Q is whether the ability to TR night cards pushes it up to $5. It doesn't really seem like it unless there's a night heavy kingdom.

Good Analysis. A few points:
1. One other pro to Cabal is that it can't be drawn dead. If you Smithy RC, you'll have to wait until the next shuffle to (possibly) play it.
2. I get that one RC is likely stronger than Cabal. But I think there's room for both. Some kingdoms will have one, some the other, and it's only when they are in the same Kingdom that it's a potential issue.

Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: June 26, 2019, 09:40:13 pm »
+1

Cabal

Pros of Cabal

Cons of Cabal

1. One other pro to Cabal is that it can't be drawn dead. If you Smithy RC, you'll have to wait until the next shuffle to (possibly) play it.
2. I get that one RC is likely stronger than Cabal. But I think there's room for both. Some kingdoms will have one, some the other, and it's only when they are in the same Kingdom that it's a potential issue.

1. You're absolutely right. I actually thought of that before writing my post and then forgot to include it.

2. Fair point (especially when adding in the pro of never being drawn dead).

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: June 26, 2019, 10:38:52 pm »

Pros of Cabal

Cons of Cabal

1. You're absolutely right. I actually thought of that before writing my post and then forgot to include it.

2. Fair point (especially when adding in the pro of never being drawn dead).

One other point I want to make. I don't even think the Kingdom needs to be Night intensive. With just one Night card, the Night TR ability could be enough to make it worthwhile.

Cabal originally began as a cheaper TR just for Night cards, until I said "DUH" and realized that was useless on a Kingdom with just 1 Night card (you could just buy a 2nd copy of the Night card, since they are non terminal).

However, now Cabal offers you the ability to effectively get that 2nd Night card but transform into a TR when you don't want that.

For example, rather than get Two Vampires, you can get Vampire and Cabal. And once it's a bat, you've got options: if you have more than 3 cards to trash, you can still double bat with Cabal, but now, you don't have to. If you only have 1 or 2 cards to trash, save Cabal for your next turn.

Or Cabal and Changeling (use it mostly as a regular TR, until you have a desire to double Changeling (and you get to keep the Cabal after).

Even with Raider as the only night, using it occasionally as a +$6 next turn seems pretty powerful.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 11:21:44 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: June 26, 2019, 11:27:41 pm »
+2

1. One other pro to Cabal is that it can't be drawn dead.

Yes it can. You can only topdeck one per turn, so if you draw multiple Cabals with no other Night cards, all but one of them was drawn dead.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: June 27, 2019, 12:30:22 am »

Yes it can. You can only topdeck one per turn, so if you draw multiple Cabals with no other Night cards, all but one of them was drawn dead.

True. I was thinking of the case where you only one Cabal, that it couldn't be drawn dead.

Interestingly, if you had 3 of them, you would be able to top deck 2 of them. (of course, outside of other effects, top decking two Cabals means you'd only draw three other cards)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 12:31:50 am by scolapasta »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2565 on: June 27, 2019, 01:56:41 am »

True. I was thinking of the case where you only one Cabal, that it couldn't be drawn dead.

Interestingly, if you had 3 of them, you would be able to top deck 2 of them. (of course, outside of other effects, top decking two Cabals means you'd only draw three other cards)

Yeah, I just realized that what I said about all but one of them being drawn dead is wrong. You can actually always topdeck all but the first one played if you get multiple. My point that one can get drawn dead still stands, of course.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: June 27, 2019, 02:14:52 am »
+1

Behold, a card that out-Golems Golem! Plays 3 Action cards instead of just 2... at the cost of first discarding everything. Well, at least you won't have to worry about the Djinns becoming useless if you've drawn your deck...

Djinns can play Golems and Golems can play Djinns, which creates very chaotic situations. This is also broken with draw-to-X .

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: June 27, 2019, 03:53:58 am »
+1

Djinns can play Golems and Golems can play Djinns, which creates very chaotic situations. This is also broken with draw-to-X .

I don't think it is a problem for a card to be broken with draw-to-X (see Black Market and Villa).  Also, if you hit two different draw-to-X cards one is probably wasted, and if you hit none you'd better hope you have some other draw among the three cards.

The alternating Golems and Djinns are definitely chaotic, but that's a two-card combo that will rarely come up, and other than being mandatory it isn't really more complicated than Golem into King's Court playing another Golem into another King's Court.

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: June 27, 2019, 11:07:49 am »
+1

Returned Adventurer
cost $5 - Action
Name a type. Reveal 5 cards from your deck. Put 2 cards with that type into your hand, and discard the rest.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: June 27, 2019, 03:26:43 pm »

Returned Adventurer
cost $5 - Action
Name a type. Reveal 5 cards from your deck. Put 2 cards with that type into your hand, and discard the rest.
Cool idea but strictly worse than Embassy. I'd make the card dig for 2 cards of the named type and consider a price of $4 or consider another buff.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: June 27, 2019, 03:44:17 pm »
+1

Returned Adventurer
cost $5 - Action
Cool idea but strictly worse than Embassy. I'd make the card dig for 2 cards of the named type and consider a price of $4 or consider another buff.

That would be strictly better than Adventurer.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: June 27, 2019, 04:11:31 pm »
+4

I'm sure this was unintentional, but this is actually the exact same design as one of the winners of the Mini-Set Design Contest rinkworks hosted back in 2012 (excluding the cost).

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=3382.msg71526#msg71526
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: June 27, 2019, 05:01:24 pm »

Returned Adventurer
cost $5 - Action

And? Adventurer is a) removed and is b) underpowered like Mandarin, i.e. it sucks at any price.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: June 27, 2019, 05:07:30 pm »

Returned Adventurer
cost $5 - Action

And? Adventurer is a) removed and is b) underpowered like Mandarin, i.e. it sucks at any price.

Even though it's small, the fact that Embassy gives your opponents a Silver on-gain is intended to act as a drawback; which means that Returned Adventurer having a strictly worse effect for the same price is ok. Though I agree it's probably much weaker than Embassy.

Removed or not; no official second edition cards are strictly stronger or weaker than first edition cards. Even if it's a really minor drawback (like hey, maybe your opponents gain a Silver when you gain it!), I think it should have something to prevent it from being strictly stronger than Adventurer.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

silvern

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: June 27, 2019, 05:27:15 pm »
+1

Ok. Looks like we're going with fragasnap's contest. Here's my submission:

It's a BoM variant (again, I know) that has specific cards it plays. These cards are not part of the supply, so the only way to play them would be through Crime Lord, and you'll always be able to play Crime Lord as them (unlike BoM when the pile depletes), but there's only 3. Will it be worth it? Depends on the 3 Underlings cards and depends on the kingdom.

Beat ya to it!
Band of Misfits, except made up of even MORE misfits than the other Band-of-misfits
$5                    Action
Play this as if it were one of the set aside cards on the BOMEMUOEMMTTOBOM mat. This is that card until it leaves play.
----
Setup: add 3 action cards not used in this kingdom, each costing $4, to the BOMEMUOEMMTTOBOM mat.

(I actually don't think this would be a horrible idea or anything, but it's still a funny one to me)
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.