Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546949 times)

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #2525 on: June 25, 2019, 09:37:52 am »

Not to mention that its best option also only stacks up to N times (N being player count) at best, whereas Platinum stacks up to as many Platinums as you have (which is at most 12, instead of at most 6).

Like I said in my original post, there's no limit on how many DE you can play on your turn (assuming there are at least 2 spoils in the supply or in your hand). You can keep reusing the same spoils:
with a hand of 5 DE

Play DE (get 2 spoils)
Play 2 spoils (return them to supply)
Play DE (get 2 spoils back)

In retrospect, I guess it's obvious why there's no +buy (wouldn't qualify for the contest  ;))
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 09:39:19 am by naitchman »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: June 25, 2019, 11:03:46 am »

Not to mention that its best option also only stacks up to N times (N being player count) at best, whereas Platinum stacks up to as many Platinums as you have (which is at most 12, instead of at most 6).

Like I said in my original post, there's no limit on how many DE you can play on your turn (assuming there are at least 2 spoils in the supply or in your hand). You can keep reusing the same spoils:
with a hand of 5 DE

Play DE (get 2 spoils)

In retrospect, I guess it's obvious why there's no +buy (wouldn't qualify for the contest  ;))

Oh, yep, you're right. Sorry, brainfart.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: June 25, 2019, 11:17:41 am »
+1

My last entry was wordier than I usually like and did seem to be marked down for being complex, so I've tried to keep it simpler this time.

The main worry is that it doesn't play very differently from Expand because you're usually gaining differently typed cards with Expand anyway (Estate to $5 Action, $5 Action to Province and such). It could maybe get away with being $5 if the restriction ends up being more restrictive than I thought.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #2528 on: June 25, 2019, 12:36:08 pm »

Here's my entry. part of a set i'm working on that emphasizes non-attack player interaction.
Gossip - Action-Duration - $3
Until the end of your next turn, Villagers can be removed from Villagers mats during their owner's Action phase for +1 Action each or +1 Card each. This card affects all players.

link to card creator image bc i can't remember how to resize images using phpbb syntax

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: June 25, 2019, 12:45:44 pm »

Here's my entry. part of a set i'm working on that emphasizes non-attack player interaction.
Until the end of your next turn, Villagers can be removed from Villagers mats during their owner's Action phase for +1 Action each or +1 Card each. This card affects all players.

link to card creator image bc i can't remember how to resize images using phpbb syntax

This helps your opponents more than it helps you because they didn't have to play it or buy it. The only reason you'd buy it is if you were the only one obtaining Villagers, which is very unlikely.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: June 25, 2019, 12:47:02 pm »
+1

I think this might get disqualified as the +1 Action / +1 Card would count as "Conditional Vanilla++ effects".

For images just use width attribute:

Code: [Select]
[img width=200]Image_URL[/img]
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: June 25, 2019, 01:55:45 pm »

With a card like this, you should allow some way for villagers to come into play. Otherwise if there's no way to get villagers (which is pretty likely with the current sets) this will be a completely useless card. I also agree with Gubump's critique. The solution would be to give +2 villagers or something along those lines. Of course, it wouldn't work with the contest then.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: June 25, 2019, 01:58:14 pm »
+1

Here's my entry for this week's challenge:

Cabal

Changelog
v0.1 - initial
v0.2 - can now top deck without restriction, simpler wording

Cabal is a TR variant that can't be drawn dead. It can also TR Night cards.

[UPDATE: the below only applies to the v0.1 wording, which had you reveal a hand with no Cabals in order to top deck]

But this current wording doesn't seem too difficult and creates some interesting side effects:
• you can't top deck multiple Cabals
• you may sometimes have a difficult decision when you have a Night card that don't want to play (either once or twice), e.g. Changeling.
• lastly, I'm considering creating several cards that care about revealing (ala Patron) so this may help with that.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 06:29:55 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: June 25, 2019, 02:49:25 pm »

I think this might get disqualified as the +1 Action / +1 Card would count as "Conditional Vanilla++ effects".

thanks - it's literally been ... seven years? eight? since i used a phpbbs. social media hasn't been kind to my markdown skills.

and re: disqualification: i'd hope not. the card itself doesn't give cards, actions, or villagers, it just changes how other existing components interact.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: June 25, 2019, 05:00:12 pm »

thanks - it's literally been ... seven years? eight? since i used a phpbbs. social media hasn't been kind to my markdown skills.

and re: disqualification: i'd hope not. the card itself doesn't give cards, actions, or villagers, it just changes how other existing components interact.

True. The rules allow for making a card that is modified by other random cards, but don't specify about making a card that modifies other cards (or in this case, tokens).

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: June 25, 2019, 06:16:31 pm »

Sanctuary got an update. It now gives you up to three out of four cards. This buff is not as big at it seems (because this is a terminal action and still sifts 4 cards), but this makes it more playable in Big Money. I rather wanted to have a mediocre card (like Patrol and Oracle) instead of a bad one (like Harvest and Adventurer). Note, that the gained Silver makes this eventually slower than Hunting Grounds.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 06:25:39 pm by King Leon »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: June 25, 2019, 06:42:14 pm »

Sanctuary got an update. It now gives you up to three out of four cards. This buff is not as big at it seems (because this is a terminal action and still sifts 4 cards), but this makes it more playable in Big Money. I rather wanted to have a mediocre card (like Patrol and Oracle) instead of a bad one (like Harvest and Adventurer). Note, that the gained Silver makes this eventually slower than Hunting Grounds.

It should say "...you may reveal it to gain a Silver to your hand." See Tunnel. This is because if you discard multiple cards, such as with Cellar, only the one on top is visible to the other players.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: June 25, 2019, 06:57:15 pm »

This helps your opponents more than it helps you because they didn't have to play it or buy it. The only reason you'd buy it is if you were the only one obtaining Villagers, which is very unlikely.

kinda - you get the bonus during your current turn and your next turn, which balances it out a bit imo

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: June 25, 2019, 08:29:05 pm »

kinda - you get the bonus during your current turn and your next turn, which balances it out a bit imo

Ah, I misread it as only affecting your current turn. That makes it a bit more balanced, but it still has the issue naitchman pointed out-it's completely useless without a source of Villagers, and giving it +Villagers to fix that issue would disqualify it.

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: June 25, 2019, 09:32:36 pm »
+9

My entry:

Bookstore

Edit: Oops. Forgot the "reveal your hand" part.

Edit2:

Bookstore v2

Edit3: Changed cost to 5.

Bookstore v3

« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 08:23:19 pm by kru5h »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: June 25, 2019, 10:02:56 pm »

Ah, I misread it as only affecting your current turn. That makes it a bit more balanced, but it still has the issue naitchman pointed out-it's completely useless without a source of Villagers, and giving it +Villagers to fix that issue would disqualify it.

yeah thats fine - its a card whose utility depends on its kingdom, same as Moat when theres no attacks, or a lone potion-cost card in an otherwise potionless kingdom. Its there to make the games where it does fit more interesting.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: June 25, 2019, 10:15:37 pm »

yeah thats fine - its a card whose utility depends on its kingdom, same as Moat when theres no attacks, or a lone potion-cost card in an otherwise potionless kingdom. Its there to make the games where it does fit more interesting.

Except that both of those do SOMETHING at least. You might buy a lone potion-cost card if it's good enough, and Moat still gives you 2 cards. Gossip does literally NOTHING if none of the just 8 sources of Villagers are being used.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: June 25, 2019, 10:18:39 pm »
+1

That seems way too powerful, especially in the late game. I would've priced that at .

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: June 25, 2019, 11:09:45 pm »

I agree with you, but I tried it with $6 and it looks so plain. There's no logical reason for it, but makes the card look better.

Just kidding.

I'll probably change it to $5.

Let's analyze it:

Cards cost more money for 2 reasons: To prevent you from getting them too early, or to prevent you from getting too many of them too fast.

I'm not worried about players getting this card too early. If you could start your deck with it, it would draw your deck, then you would discard down to a Copper and an Estate (Barring Shelters/Heirlooms.) It only gradually improves as the game goes on.

I'm not worried about players getting too many of them because they don't stack very well. Once you've drawn to 10 cards, you probably already have most of the variety of your deck. Playing an additional one will probably only net you 2 or so more cards at best.

But yes, late game, the first one you play every turn is very powerful. After that, it's so-so.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: June 25, 2019, 11:34:41 pm »

True. The rules allow for making a card that is modified by other random cards, but don't specify about making a card that modifies other cards (or in this case, tokens).

Note that you didn't get the Fragasnap +1, so it seems as if this would, in fact, get disqualified. (unless they just missed it)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: June 26, 2019, 04:22:51 am »
+1

Here's a variant on Adventurer/Counting House that will hopefully be more useful than either of them.

EDIT: New version now is no longer restricted to Treasures, and isn't terrible when you have an empty discard. Also I thought I could drop the price. Now it's more of a Mountain Village/Oracle mashup, I suppose.
Polymath
$3 - Action

If you don't have Deluded or Envious, take Envious.
Do this twice: Choose one: Put your deck into your discard, or look through your discard pile and reveal a card costing up to $6 from it, and put it into your hand.

Old version:
Quote from: v1
Polymath
$4 - Action

If you don't have Deluded or Envious, take Envious. Look through your discard pile and reveal up to 2 Treasures costing up to $6 from it, and put them into your hand.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 03:26:36 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2546 on: June 26, 2019, 06:15:06 am »

Here's a variant on Adventurer/Counting House that will hopefully be more useful than either of them.

Polymath
$5 - Action

If you don't have Deluded or Envious, take Envious. Look through your discard pile and reveal up to 2 Treasures costing up to $6 from it, and put them into your hand.

What are you envisioning is the use for this card? The only case I can think of where it's worth buying is Fool's Gold in a weak kingdom.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: June 26, 2019, 07:19:07 am »

What are you envisioning is the use for this card? The only case I can think of where it's worth buying is Fool's Gold in a weak kingdom.
Kingdom treasures mostly? Or fishing for Potions. Possibly TfB. Now I think it will need to put your deck into your discard pile or something to not be terrible. Also of course it combos with Capitalism.

I'll think of some improvement. You're right that it's still too weak.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: June 26, 2019, 08:15:39 am »

If a card read "While this is in play, when you play an Action, +1 Card," I would disqualify it, so modifying tokens to give additional Vanilla++ benefits must disqualify Gossip.
If it gave a non-Vanilla++ effect (or some kind of scaling effect) for consuming tokens (or any other trigger) then it would be fine.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: June 26, 2019, 09:00:34 am »

Kingdom treasures mostly? Or fishing for Potions. Possibly TfB. Now I think it will need to put your deck into your discard pile or something to not be terrible. Also of course it combos with Capitalism.

I'll think of some improvement. You're right that it's still too weak.

Make the card itself a treasure? Then there is *always* a Kingdom treasure with this. Because it only looks through discard pile, it's a lot weaker than it otherwise would be. It might make it too much stronger than you want (self-combo and now non-terminal), but I think the idea works a lot better with this self-synergy. Of course, you would have to sacrifice the ability to fish treasure for t4b if you make this change.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 327  All

Page created in 1.089 seconds with 22 queries.