Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546241 times)

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #2500 on: June 24, 2019, 04:24:34 pm »

Just a simple way to get some $$$$ into your deck.

Yes, a nice card indeed, but I think you missed an opportunity for a Hero themed card here. Like "Calculating Hero" maybe? Congrats though.

Good point.  Maybe "Wealthy Hero"

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: June 24, 2019, 04:59:51 pm »
+1

Sorry I took so long! I had a busy weekend.  I'm glad you went ahead without me
Happy to continue with your blessing.

A few answers, based on my interpretation of the contest.
hhelibebcofnena is correct on each count attempted.

If creating a victory card, would it be disqualified if it gave vanilla VP? (Like would Island or Tunnel be disqualified)?
For additional clarity: Island and Tunnel qualify for the challenge because they have an Action and Reaction effect respectively that do not have any Vanilla++ effects. Nobles and Harem do not because Nobles is an Action with Vanilla++ effects and Harem is simply worth $2. The way in which a Victory card is worth VP is irrelevant.

Does +$1/card per _____ count? (like vault, harvest, crossroads etc.)
I think this covers the Philosopher's Stone issue as well and is better worded as: "Does a Vanilla++ that scales based upon a condition qualify for the challenge?"
Thinking about it, Watchtower's draw is a draw which scales from 0 to 6 based upon your hand size, so I think I have to say that Harvest and Philosopher's Stone count (Vault doesn't because it has +2 Cards and the first Crossroads gives +3 Actions, but the scaling would be fine).
I've updated the requirements to match this revelation.

I will +1 entries for clarity.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #34: no vanilla playable card
« Reply #2502 on: June 24, 2019, 05:06:37 pm »
+2

Donald explored Night remodeling quite a bit but nothing came through. I explored the area as well and came to this sort of two-card Night Forge.

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: June 24, 2019, 05:08:24 pm »
+9

Ok. Looks like we're going with fragasnap's contest. Here's my submission:

It's a BoM variant (again, I know) that has specific cards it plays. These cards are not part of the supply, so the only way to play them would be through Crime Lord, and you'll always be able to play Crime Lord as them (unlike BoM when the pile depletes), but there's only 3. Will it be worth it? Depends on the 3 Underlings cards and depends on the kingdom.

(Update: Changed wording to clarify that 3 kingdom cards come from unused cards)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 11:57:22 pm by naitchman »

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: June 24, 2019, 05:52:27 pm »

Ok. Looks like we're going with fragasnap's contest. Here's my submission:

It's a BoM variant (again, I know) that has specific cards it plays. These cards are not part of the supply, so the only way to play them would be through Crime Lord, and you'll always be able to play Crime Lord as them (unlike BoM when the pile depletes), but there's only 3. Will it be worth it? Depends on the 3 Underlings cards and depends on the kingdom.

My idea was pretty similar, but with a pile like black market made with $5 cards (reveal top 3 cards, play as one of them). I thougt that at $4 it will be ok, because of the random effect. I really like the flavor of the mat, btw.
Who trashes the trashers?

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #34: No Vanilla Bonuses
« Reply #2505 on: June 24, 2019, 06:25:25 pm »
+4

Is it okay that I came up with this half a month ago? Or should I submit something brand new? This has been mildly playtested (only 3 or 4 different sets though, so barely), if that influences things.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 06:26:34 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: June 24, 2019, 08:11:57 pm »

Sanctuary
Type: Action – Reaction
Cost: $5

Look at the top 4 cards of your deck. Put up to 3 into your hand. Discard the rest.
-
When you discard this other than during Clean-up, you may reveal this to gain a Silver to your hand.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 06:13:56 pm by King Leon »

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: June 24, 2019, 08:26:37 pm »

Sanctuary

Look at the top 4 cards of your deck. Put up to 2 into your hand. Discard the rest.
-
When you discard this other than during Clean-up, you may gain a Silver into your hand.

The normal language Dominion uses is "gain a Silver to your hand." For example, Artisan.

Not sure if a conditional +2 cards +$2 is worth 5. Especially since it is only a +2 the first one you buy. And it requires you to not be able to play a 5-card cost to get the silver gain. I do love the self-synergy, it's pretty interesting!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 08:35:38 pm by anordinaryman »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: June 24, 2019, 08:37:13 pm »
+2

Sanctuary

Look at the top 4 cards of your deck. Put up to 2 into your hand. Discard the rest.
-
When you discard this other than during Clean-up, you may gain a Silver into your hand.

The normal language Dominion uses is "gain a Silver to your hand." For example, Artisan.

Not sure if a conditional +2 cards +$2 is worth 5. Especially since it is only a +2 the first one you buy. And it requires you to not be able to play a 5-card cost to get the silver gain. I do love the self-synergy, it's pretty interesting!

Best 2 of 4 is around the same strength as a Smithy in my opinion. Because of that and the self-synergy, I'd say it would be worth . It might be on the weak side, but they can't all be the best .
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: June 24, 2019, 08:40:54 pm »
+2

THIS IS OUT OF DATE SUBMISSION. SEE NEWEST VERSION ON PAGE 104

CHALLENGE #34 - No Vanilla Bonuses Submission:

Consul
Type: Action
Cost: $4

Trash a card from your hand. The player to your left chooses an action card costing more than it for you to gain and play.

Seems like I only submit cards that involve some sort of trashing! My favorite interaction cards are ones like Contraband, Advisor, and Envoy. So, here is a sorta upgrade variant in that vein! I will say this card nicely has some cool synergy with alt-cost cards without having to spell them out, and I like that. You can get your opponent to consul you into upgrading an engineer into a fortune if those are the only debt-cost cards on board. You can always turn your golds into possessions. Good advice! Of course, watch out, your opponent might consul you to bring in more consuls and force you to trash something in your hand you don't want to, like a card that no action card that costs more!

Of course the losing track rule can make you not be able to play the card. I'm open to any feedback. I wasn't sure exactly the best way to phrase "gain and play."
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 11:21:09 pm by anordinaryman »

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: June 24, 2019, 08:42:39 pm »
+1

CHALLENGE #34 - NO VANILLA SUBMISSION:

I'm not sure if it's clear, but the condition for gaining a Wish is not gaining 2 Spoils. Even if you only gain one Spoils due to that pile running out, you still gain a Wish.

When you play this, gain 2 Spoils from the Spoils pile to your hand. If you can't, gain a Wish from the Wish pile.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Setup: Only add 2 Spoils per player to the Spoils pile.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:27:03 pm by Kudasai »

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: June 24, 2019, 08:47:32 pm »
+1

I'm not sure if it's clear, but the condition for gaining a Wish is not gaining 2 Spoils. Even if you only gain one Spoils due to that pile running out, you still gain a Wish.

When you play this, gain 2 Spoils from the Spoils pile to your hand. If you can't, gain a Wish from the Wish pile.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How does it work with other Spoils cards? Does the restriction on Spoils number still apply?
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: June 24, 2019, 09:08:49 pm »

This seems extremely weak for its cost. It can either effectively produce immediately, gain two one-shot Golds that you could save for later, or gain a Wish, which later returns itself to the Supply for an on-demand -cost. All 3 options are terrible for a card that costs a literal fortune.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: June 24, 2019, 09:09:57 pm »
+1

Consul

Trash a card from your hand. The player to your left chooses an action card costing more than it for you to gain and play.

Seems like I only submit cards that involve some sort of trashing! My favorite interaction cards are ones like Contraband, Advisor, and Envoy. So, here is a sorta upgrade variant in that vein! I will say this card nicely has some cool synergy with alt-cost cards without having to spell them out, and I like that. You can get your opponent to consul you into upgrading an engineer into a fortune if those are the only debt-cost cards on board. You can always turn your golds into possessions. Good advice! Of course, watch out, your opponent might consul you to bring in more consuls and force you to trash something in your hand you don't want to, like a card that no action card that costs more!

Of course the losing track rule can make you not be able to play the card. I'm open to any feedback. I wasn't sure exactly the best way to phrase "gain and play."

Fortune is a Treasure, so you they wouldn't be able to choose it.

I'd also be concerned for lots of pedantic type issues:
• choosing a card not in the game
• choosing a card not in the Supply (e.g. Madman)
• choosing a card from the middle of a pile (e.g. Knights, Spilt Piles, etc)
• gain is usually to discard, so you're playing from there, but some cards gain to other locations

So, a possible rewording that hopefully covers all this might be:

Trash a card from your hand. The player to your left names a visible Action card from a Supply pile costing more than it. Gain it to your hand, then play it.

Alternatively, if you don't like "visible", you could opt for "from the top of a non-empty Supply pile".
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: June 24, 2019, 09:10:54 pm »
+2

Consul

This is the kind of card that could work sometimes, but often will be trouble. There are just so many cards that can hurt this. An opponent that just keeps giving you terminal actions costing $5 is a likely scenario. In addition there are plenty of cards that you only really want a 1 or 2 of (outpost, trading post, mint), not to mention cards that can really screw with your current turn (tacticion,  trading post, storyteller)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 09:12:11 pm by naitchman »

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: June 24, 2019, 09:16:50 pm »
+1

Consul

You could use set aside wording like Summon and Innovation to handle lose track situations. The lose track rule doesn't make you unable to play the card, it only stops you from moving it.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: June 24, 2019, 09:27:04 pm »
+3

Consul

• gain is usually to discard, so you're playing from there, but some cards gain to other locations

Trash a card from your hand. The player to your left names a visible Action card from a Supply pile costing more than it. Gain it to your hand, then play it.

Alternatively, if you don't like "visible", you could opt for "from the top of a non-empty Supply pile".

I don't think you need the "visible" part. BoM only specifies from the Supply, but you can't choose Crumbling Castle when Humble Castle is on top, or Sir Martin when covered by other Knights. Only the top card is "in the Supply."
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 09:28:45 pm by Gubump »

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: June 24, 2019, 09:35:23 pm »
+1

This seems extremely weak for its cost. It can either effectively produce immediately, gain two one-shot Golds that you could save for later, or gain a Wish, which later returns itself to the Supply for an on-demand -cost. All 3 options are terrible for a card that costs a literal fortune.

Hmmm. I'm trying to figure out what this should cost. Like you said it has the option of producing $6 which makes it strictly better than platinum. The other options should give it a small bump in price. Keep in mind, unlike with fortune you could buy multiples of these and use them effectively (play 2 spoils, play dragon egg, repeat).

One of the problems is this card can be overkill in many games. At least all platinum games have colonies too which makes getting that extra coin important. Fortune comes with a +buy which is important if you're gonna have a load of $. You have to forego a province for each DE you get which then begs the Q if it's really worth it in the long run if provinces are your real goal (in non colony games at least). A +buy would definitely help this. Maybe also, instead of gaining a wish get the benefit right away (gain a card costing up to $6) but then only make it if you gain no spoils (or else you can gain spoil and gold which is better than 2 spoils).

It would need to be playtested but I wouldn't be surprised if with a +buy this could be priced right as it is (or maybe a little less debt). Keep in mind that this could be bought right away unlike with fortune (which has gladiators on top) and can be used multiple times each turn.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 09:37:00 pm by naitchman »

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: June 24, 2019, 09:41:16 pm »
+1

Consul

I don't think you need the "visible" part. BoM only specifies from the Supply, but you can't choose Crumbling Castle when Humble Castle is on top, or Sir Martin when covered by other Knights. Only the top card is "in the Supply."

OK, that's right. Found this in the wiki:

For this reason, although the entirety of any Supply pile is physically part of the Supply, only the top card of any pile is considered to be "in the Supply".

So updated suggestion is:

Trash a card from your hand. The player to your left names an Action card from the Supply costing more than it. Gain the named card to your hand, then play it.

(I also changed one of the "it"s to avoid confusion)

Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: June 24, 2019, 09:54:54 pm »

Hmmm. I'm trying to figure out what this should cost. Like you said it has the option of producing $6 which makes it strictly better than platinum. The other options should give it a small bump in price. Keep in mind, unlike with fortune you could buy multiples of these and use them effectively (play 2 spoils, play dragon egg, repeat).

One of the problems is this card can be overkill in many games. At least all platinum games have colonies too which makes getting that extra coin important. Fortune comes with a +buy which is important if you're gonna have a load of $. You have to forego a province for each DE you get which then begs the Q if it's really worth it in the long run if provinces are your real goal (in non colony games at least). A +buy would definitely help this. Maybe also, instead of gaining a wish get the benefit right away (gain a card costing up to $6) but then only make it if you gain no spoils (or else you can gain spoil and gold which is better than 2 spoils).

It would need to be playtested but I wouldn't be surprised if with a +buy this could be priced right as it is (or maybe a little less debt). Keep in mind that this could be bought right away unlike with fortune (which has gladiators on top) and can be used multiple times each turn.

Adding +1 Buy and + to Platinum still wouldn't justify pricing it at , even with the other options (especially since that's by far the best option). Not to mention that its best option also only stacks up to N times (N being player count) at best, whereas Platinum stacks up to as many Platinums as you have (which is at most 12, instead of at most 6). would be a reasonable price, though (although that's with the Buy; without the Buy I'd price it at ). As it is currently, it makes Scout look good, IMO.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:00:21 pm by Gubump »

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #2520 on: June 24, 2019, 10:24:54 pm »

How does it work with other Spoils cards? Does the restriction on Spoils number still apply?

The restriction on Spoils would still apply. This may weaken other Spoils based cards, but should give Dragon Egg a boast as it allows you to get to Wishes easier.

This could be the case, but the Wish gaining should also help with speeding up engine building or for gaining Duchies later to catch back up.

Adding +1 Buy and + to Platinum still wouldn't justify pricing it at , even with the other options (especially since that's by far the best option). Not to mention that its best option also only stacks up to N times (N being player count) at best, whereas Platinum stacks up to as many Platinums as you have (which is at most 12, instead of at most 6). would be a reasonable price, though (although that's with the Buy; without the Buy I'd price it at ). As it is currently, it makes Scout look good, IMO.

Yeah, $8/8D is too high of a cost. I just started there to be on the safe side, but I think I can get away with starting testing at $8/4D. If this were to be a pure coin cost I'd put it at about $11. I don't know what that equates to with $8 coin and some tacked on debt.

Anyways, I appreciate all the feedback so far. You've both given me some stuff to think on.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: June 24, 2019, 10:37:20 pm »

Yeah, $8/8D is too high of a cost. I just started there to be on the safe side, but I think I can get away with starting testing at $8/4D. If this were to be a pure coin cost I'd put it at about $11. I don't know what that equates to with $8 coin and some tacked on debt.

Anyways, I appreciate all the feedback so far. You've both given me some stuff to think on.

is actually the same price I would have suggested without debt involved. I think that generally is equivalent to around $3.5 (based on Engineer) and is equivalent to somewhere in the range of $6.5 to $7, regardless of how many are also in its cost. So I think is equivalent to around or $11.5-ish.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: June 25, 2019, 02:15:29 am »
+3

Consul

You probably want to add "other than Consul".

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: June 25, 2019, 02:44:56 am »
+1

Rowdy Library
Action - $5
Draw until you have 6 cards in your hand, skipping up to 2 Action Cards you choose to; set those aside. Afterwards, play the set aside Action Cards in any order.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: June 25, 2019, 02:56:33 am »

Just a simple way to get some $$$$ into your deck.

Yes, a nice card indeed, but I think you missed an opportunity for a Hero themed card here. Like "Calculating Hero" maybe? Congrats though.

Good point.  Maybe "Wealthy Hero"

"Fortune Seeker"?
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.