Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546274 times)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #2475 on: June 19, 2019, 03:44:30 pm »
+1

The discarding should be before the overpaying. Otherwise there's no accountability.

I think that's only necessary when you get a benefit from overpaying. In this case, without Tithe there's no benefit to players for overpaying for actions (absent any other overpay cards in the Kingdom).

I'm not clear what you mean... without Tithe, you wouldn't be allowed to overpay for a card. So when you buy a card, you should have to discard (or at least reveal) Tithe in order to be allowed to overpay for it. Then you would get the benefit for overpaying. As worded, it just says you are allowed to overpay, but it doesn't say what's actually allowing you to do that. Presumably, you want having Tithe in hand to be the thing that allows it.

Also, it's not clear how this will work with overpay cards. If you buy Doctor and overpay by 2, can you get both the Tithe benefit and the Doctor benefit?

Thanks for the feedback. You're right, you can only overpay if the cards say so. I've simplified my submission and removed the overpay mechanic, I think this is a lot better.

Tithe
Reaction - $1
When you buy any Action card in the supply, you may discard this from your hand. Trash a card from your hand for each $1 the Action cost.
-
When you buy this, +1 buy and put this into your hand.

You could still get the overpay effect by saying “when you buy an Action card, you may reveal them discard this from your hand. Trash a card per $1 left you have unspent.” It makes it a little more powerful too.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: June 19, 2019, 08:30:50 pm »

Tithe
Reaction - $1
When you buy any Action card in the supply, you may discard this from your hand. Trash a card from your hand for each $1 the Action cost.
-

This pile can empty instantly. Donald X. Considers this a bad thing when designing cards.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: June 19, 2019, 10:38:49 pm »

Tithe
Reaction - $1
-

This pile can empty instantly. Donald X. Considers this a bad thing when designing cards.

How? Forum can do the same thing, albeit with more required to get multiple.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: June 19, 2019, 10:59:48 pm »

Tithe
Reaction - $1
-

It's much easier with this. Having a single cost-reducer in play is much more common than having 5. Along the same lines, having $10 is much easier than having $50.

Besides, technically you can do this with any card. It's possible to have 10 buys on a turn. It's just a question of how easy it is. A card which costs and doesn't cost a buy makes it much easier than every other card in the game.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: June 20, 2019, 12:06:04 am »

Tithe
Reaction - $1
-

It's much easier with this. Having a single cost-reducer in play is much more common than having 5. Along the same lines, having $10 is much easier than having $50.

Besides, technically you can do this with any card. It's possible to have 10 buys on a turn. It's just a question of how easy it is. A card which costs and doesn't cost a buy makes it much easier than every other card in the game.

I understand why you attached the +buy. It seems too weak to cost an entire buy. Because the secret in card design is that buys are precious resource, often more precious of a resource than $ is. Especially early on. And you want to buy this card early on because it's a trasher, but it seems too weak to be worth it to cost a buy. Thus you always attach it with a +buy. I recommend the following changes:

- "When you gain a card, you may discard this from your hand to trash a card from your hand for each 1$ the card costs." (I believe that when you buy a card, and then you gain it, so this would have the same abilities as before but now you can do it with gainers as well)
- "When this is your first buy in a turn, +1 buy" (prevents easy pile out. Notice how I take the wording from Messenger)
- You may add a  "This is gained to your hand (instead of your discard pile)." Similiar to Nocturne's night cards, if you want. I think you might get rid of this gain to hand idea though, it doesn't seem super necessary to me.

I don't understand why you restricted it to only action cards, and why you restricted it to only buys.

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: June 21, 2019, 09:18:27 am »

So is the judging today?

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: June 21, 2019, 11:14:37 am »

So is the judging today?
Yes, please give me some time. There are 24 entries this time.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: June 21, 2019, 12:00:45 pm »

No problem, didn't mean to rush you. Looking forward to it.

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: June 21, 2019, 01:02:36 pm »

So is the judging today?

Disqualify! ;P

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: June 21, 2019, 02:42:35 pm »
+4

(This took me over three hours. Phew!)

Buried Loot by GendoIkari
$6: Instead gaining a card, discard to gain a card costing exactly $3 more

This is often better than Gold. For example, it converts Curses to Silver and is protected against Noble Brigand. Because there is always the $3 gap between Silver and Gold or Duchy and Province, it is rare to pull the blank. It has some interesting interaction with on-buy effects and overpay cards, but it is too similar to Gold, that it is not worth the kingdom slot.

Aristocrat by segura
$4: Discard to gain a copy of a card costing up to $6 gained by any player

An interesting Smugglers variant (especially in multiplayer games), which may be broken at the end of the game, when Duchies or Gardens are attractive targets. It should say non-Victory card, I think.

Science Fair by hhelibebcnofnena
$5: On-draw lab

Like GendoIkari said, this is difficult to verify. You can put cards into your hand without drawing them (for example with Native Village or Envoy). In fact this would require you to draw each card one by one to avoid a complete chaos. Unlike the normal lab, this cannot be drawn dead. On the other hand, this is slightly weaker with draw-to-X, cannot be Throne Roomed etc. Because it is still too similar to Lab, I cannot let this win.

Economist by Chappy7
$4: Discard to gain a Treasure card when any player gains a card costing $5 or more

This is an interesting one. You first decrease your money density in the hope to get Gold / Platinum later. Simple, but very nice.

Firth Guild by ClouduHieh
$4: Discard to attack to get 2 Coffers and attacker gets 1 Debt. Discard when another player gains a victory card to gain a cheaper card

Unfortunately I have to disqualify this, because of a possible Secret Chamber loop. It is also too political and may lead players to completely avoid buying Attack cards. Please do not be mad at me, I would recommend to read the Dominion Fan Card Creation Guide to avoid common pitfalls.

Sentinel by artless
$3: Discard to draw a card when another player gains a Victory card. Works as Buy-phase-only Bridge from your discard pile.

It is impossible to keep track of this card. The problem is, that you are not allowed to look through your discard pile unless a card allows you to do so.

Design by Fragasnap
P: When a player plays 1 or less actions, trash for a card costing up to $5P (On buy: +1 Buy)

This is also a nice one, especially in 2 player games, it encourages players to play engine strategies. The Potion cost is ingenious, as it prevents you from buying too many of these and also allows you to gain other Potion cards. Alchemy is an Action-card intensive set, so this fits perfectly.

Blockade by Gubump
$4: Put on top of a pile. When you gain an Action card and use this effect, gain a Gold and a Silver.

This feels similar to an early version of Embargo. A non-terminal one-shot which gains a Gold and a Silver and blocks a pile is not bad, but there were more interesting submissions.

Foundry by mandioca15
$4: Trash to gain two cheaper cards, when another player gains a card.

A non-terminal Feast, which can gain two $5 Action cards, Duchies or Golds is too powerful.

Leasehold by faust
$3: Triples tokens. Comes with +1 VP

An interesting Estate variant. Even if you decide to trash it later, it keeps the Victory Point. Probably too strong with Groundskeeper, Plunder, Bishop and similar cards.

Remote Village by mail-mi
$4: Bazaar, which can only be played after terminals

Remote Village is a Bazaar, but only if you have played a terminal Action before. Unlike Throne Room you actually can play it after the Action card, so it is very useful together with Terminal drawers. However, I'm worried that this could be a dead card in some kingdoms. Overall, not a bad card, but it did not make the cut.

Converter by Aquila
$5: Discard cards for Villagers, convert +Cards to +Coffers

This works well with draw-to-X cards, but Fishing Village does this much better. Interestingly it does not turn Faithful Hounds into Labs. I don’t know where the $5 price tag comes from, but this is normally not worth its money.

Replica by majiponi
$2: Trash to duplicate a card costing up to $6.

A non-terminal Duplicate, which has to be trashed from your hand instead of being discarded from your Tavern mat. Unlike Feast it can only gain a duplicate of another card you just gain. Because it also reduces your buying power, it is hard to get $6 early. It can be very frustrating if your opponent Silver+Replica and draws Silver, 3xCopper, Replica in turn 3.

Lodestone by hypercube
$4: Like Watchtower, but into your hand

Unfortunately, this can empty the Ironworks pile. It also need much support depending on the kingdom. While the idea sounds promising, this just does not seem to work in practise.

Illusionist by 4est
$2: Convert any Action card into simple Library

This works well with Ruins and also see Synergy with Vineyards and Tunnel. Interestingly. Starting Chapel + Illusionist is not as bad, because the Illusionist can convert the Chapel in something more useful. it also helps you to get engine parts, but only if you have enough +Actions, because the big drawback is that this is terminal. Usually Jack-of-all-Trades or Smithy are the better terminal drawers.

Copy by naitchman
$5: Copies a card another player has in play

Unlike Band of Misfits this is unterminal, cannot be drawn dead and not limited to cards costing up to $4. The big disadvantage is, that the card is played at the start of your next turn, which makes it less flexible and does not work well with cards like Library, for example. In the most cases, you want to copy Gold or sometimes an interesting Action card. Definitively one of the better cards in the contest.

Convert by anordinaryman
$2: On-gain: You may trash your hand. On-trash: Gain an Action card without +$ costing up to $4.

This card even does not require the Reaction type. It can be in fact type-less. It is very hard to judge this card. So, it would also fit into the last contest as a Chapel replacement. There are some similarities with Trade or Donate, but this one is more flexible. I can imagine starting Convert/Village_Variant and later buying another Convert to convert the first Convert to an Engine part. The $2 is too cheap in my opinion, because a lucky 5/2 player can gain a $5 card and get rid of three Estates. It would be also interesting to see if an asymmetric game with a player who goes for Convert and another player who does not, works at all. (Asymmetric Chapel games are possible, but hard to win as the non-chapel player.)

Fruit Basket by Gazbag
$4: On-buy Horn of Plenty which can trash itself for another Horn of Plenty effect. Can only gain Action cards
This is harder to pull of than Engineer, but can also reward you with $5 or higher cards. This is usually a late buy to get the missing parts of your engine and requires some preparation and unlike Horn of Plenty or Artificer this one gains only two cards. This card has an astonishing strategic depth, but the more simple cards are also promising. There can be only one winner.

Frontier by Kudasai
$4: Trash to gain a card costing $2 more, card when any player gains a Victory card
Fool’s Gold can this better (and this is only Fool’s Gold's secondary effect). Even Feast is more usable as you can play it much earlier, if you want a guaranteed $5 card.

Retriever by scolapasta
$0: Discard substitute

I was actually looking forward to seeing cards which can be useful in most kingdoms. This one is often pretty useless. While this is a novel idea, other cards were more interesting.

Secret Cove by Frolouch
$4: Trash to gain a Gold onto your deck, when another player plays an Attack card; or discard to topdeck a gained card

The first effect is okay, but either discourages players from buying attacks at all or is even contra-productive when your opponent plays a Thief variant. Another dead card instead of a Silver in turn 3 or 4 is pretty bad and will normally cost you the game. The second effect is much weaker than Watchtower. You don't want this card for $4 in your deck.

Tithe by wittyhowlard
$1: Discard when you buy an Action card to trash X cards from your hand (X is the cost of the Action card). On buy: +1 Buy and this goes into your hand

Overpaying an Action by 1 to exchange your Estates or Coppers with a dead card is interesting. However, you could abuse the on-buy clause and empty the pile to end the game earlier. That is not healthy for the game.

Royal Acquisition by Commodore Chuckles
$5: Trash from your hand to double a fixed-VP Victory card

As name and effects intends, this seems to be a card in the Throne Room family. But in fact this is Distant Lands, but with some subtle differences. For instance, there is no interaction with cards which like Victory or Action cards and it is harder to gain a Province with only four usable cards in your hand. Distand Lands gives fix 4 VP. Royal Acquisition can provide you 6 or even 10 VP, but it is often only another Duchy in case of emergency. Distant Lands is less swingy and already fulfils that role pretty well and I don’t see a reason for having another „conditional Victory card“, particularly as 10 VP are perhaps a little too much.

TL;DR
Winner: Economist by Chappy7
Runner-up: Design by Fragasnap
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 02:45:03 pm by King Leon »

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: June 21, 2019, 04:11:47 pm »
+1

Just a simple way to get some $$$$ into your deck.

Yes, a nice card indeed, but I think you missed an opportunity for a Hero themed card here. Like "Calculating Hero" maybe? Congrats though.

artless

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: June 22, 2019, 02:32:13 am »
+1

I just come up with a new idea, but it's too late.

Spare Part
$3 Reaction
When you play an action card, you may reveal this and attach it to that action, to increase all numbers printed on it by 1.
When attached action is no longer in play, put this into your discard.

Example:
Market becomes +2 Cards, +2 Actions, +2 Buys, +2$ (+3 of each kind if you play two engines)
Militia becomes +3 coin, each oppoent discard down to 4.
King's Court can't be buffed by Steam Engine. (Because it reads three times, not 3)

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: June 22, 2019, 04:39:39 pm »
+2

Should we have Fragasnap be the new host if Chappy7 doesn't respond soon?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: June 22, 2019, 11:33:26 pm »
+2

I think 48 hours after the winner is declared would be a good time.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: June 23, 2019, 05:19:34 pm »

Fragasnap, if you're there, I think you can start the next contest. (King Leon you might want to name a 3rd place if he doesn't respond).

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2490 on: June 23, 2019, 07:23:01 pm »

There's always last week's runner up, if we need!  8)

(Mostly kidding, not sure if I'm actually ready to judge any of these yet)
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: June 23, 2019, 08:31:55 pm »

I worry because it looks like Chappy7 is most active Monday through Wednesday, so it feels unfair to grab the judge's seat just because it happened to be judged on a slightly off time frame. Though I actually like reviewing and judging the cards, so perhaps I am projecting.
I'll post a challenge, but in honor of Chappy7's victory, please don't post any entrants until at least Monday evening. If Chappy7 would like to post a challenge instead, I will remove this.

Create a card that is at least one of Action, Treasure, Reaction, or Night with no fixed or conditional Vanilla++ effects.
  • Vanilla++ effects are: +Cards, +Actions, +Buys, +$, +Potion, +VP, +Coffers, and +Villagers.
  • "Drawing cards" per a condition and putting cards into your hand can be likened to +Cards, but is fine (like Watchtower and Envoy).
  • Playing other cards is often likened to +Actions, but is fine (like Throne Room)
  • Treasures that produce $ count as Vanilla++ effects and will be disqualified (Counterfeit produces $1 and would be disqualified, Horn of Plenty produces $0 and would not be)
  • Being a Victory card is fine, but it still must have an Action\Treasure\Reaction\Night effect (like Island and Tunnel).
  • On-gain\on-buy effects that confer Vanilla++ effects still disqualify the card.
  • If you are making a card that is modified by other random cards (like Young Witch, Black Market, or Band of Misfits), it is fine that the other random cards might have Vanilla++ effects.
  • Fate cards that use random Boons are fine.
  • Use of Artifacts is fine, but they still must confer no Vanilla++ effects.
  • If you are making a Split pile or Traveller, every card involved must have no Vanilla++ effects.
  • A card with "Choose X" options still must have no Vanilla++ effects (Steward, Count, and Charm would be disqualified)
  • A Vanilla++ effect that scales on a condition may be used (like Philosopher's Stone, or Harvest)

Oh yeah, before I forget
  • An effect that is identical in every way to a Vanilla++ effect but just worded differently to be pedantic will disqualify the card.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 09:47:28 pm by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: June 23, 2019, 08:36:05 pm »

Wouldn't trashing a card from your hand be vanilla, or is that allowed?

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: June 24, 2019, 01:01:26 am »

Does "If X, vanilla effect" disqualify a card?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: June 24, 2019, 01:16:18 am »
+1

Is the +$ of philosopher's stone considered vanilla?
Who trashes the trashers?

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: June 24, 2019, 03:56:50 am »

If creating a victory card, would it be disqualified if it gave vanilla VP? (Like would Island or Tunnel be disqualified)?

Interesting challenge!
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: June 24, 2019, 12:30:36 pm »
+1

A few answers, based on my interpretation of the contest. I'm pretty sure that I got these ones right, but Fragasnap should feel free to correct me. I have no idea about the p-stone question, though. I can see arguments both ways.

Wouldn't trashing a card from your hand be vanilla, or is that allowed?

Vanilla++ effects are: +Cards, +Actions, +Buys, +$, +Potion, +VP, +Coffers, and +Villagers.

I assume that "vanilla++" means a vanilla effect that gives +x Somethings, which is why "trash a card" isn't there.

Does "If X, vanilla effect" disqualify a card?

• On-gain\on-buy effects that confer Vanilla++ effects still disqualify the card.
  • A card with "Choose X" options still must have no Vanilla++ effects (Steward, Count, and Charm would be disqualified)

I feel that his can probably be extrapolated to "if x" clauses too. And any other clause.

If creating a victory card, would it be disqualified if it gave vanilla VP? (Like would Island or Tunnel be disqualified)?

Being a Victory card is fine, but it still must have an Action\Treasure\Reaction\Night effect (like Island and Tunnel).

That one is answered directly in the post, even giving the same examples.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: June 24, 2019, 01:50:15 pm »
+1

Hopefully this qualifies:

Emissary (Action) [$5]

Draw until you have 8 cards in your hand. Put 2 cards from your hand onto your deck.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: June 24, 2019, 03:02:15 pm »
+1

Does +$1/card per _____ count? (like vault, harvest, crossroads etc.)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 03:04:36 pm by naitchman »

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: June 24, 2019, 03:59:50 pm »
+1

Sorry I took so long! I had a busy weekend.  I'm glad you went ahead without me
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.