Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546711 times)

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #2450 on: June 16, 2019, 06:36:31 pm »

Remote Village
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
----------------
On your turn, when you have 0 actions, you may reveal then play this from your hand.
$4 - Reaction

Wanted to go for something a little different. Since it doesn't have the action type, you can't play it normally. It's a village that only works after you play a terminal. Also you can play it during your Buy or Night phase, which is fun.

Not sure if this should be $3 or $4. I put it at $4 for now because it's basically a worse Bazaar, but can be really nice with terminal draw. Much worse in a kingdom without many terminals or Champion, though.

Big fan of this one, but I think it needs to cost at least $5.

How does it compare to Bazaar then? I think it's significantly weaker, because you have to have a terminal in hand in order to play it.

Oops. I keep thinking this is an Action - Reaction. Anyone else having this problem?

So yes, this is probably fine at $4 as a pure Reaction. I'm even more intrigued with this card now by the way!

Have you considered an alternative wording that would remove the line and possibly any confusion that it is a pure Reaction? Something like:

"Directly after you finish playing an Action card, if you have no Actions, you may put this in play for +1 Card, +1 Action and +$1."

The dividing line definitely gives it the look* of an Action-Reaction (which, as I posted, could be a more interesting card).

(*) I just noticed the reaction background color - nice! I just changed mine as to that.

For just a reaction, I prefer Kudasai's alternative wording.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: June 16, 2019, 07:38:23 pm »

So, I've decided to change my entry. I still think there's some potential for Rabbits so I'll eventually post in my own thread to get more feedback. But I came up with something I like better for the contest.

It's still in the "not too strong but something to consider getting when you have +1 Buy" category.

Retriever

Changelog:
v0.1 - initial

Retriever can be useful to you both during your turns (e.g. When you discard with something like Cellar or Oasis) and other player's turn (e.g. when they attack with Rabble or other cards discard from your deck). Though they won't help with discarding from hand Attacks like Militia or Torturer.

I'm not sure if it's too strong for $0, I also considered $1 or $2.

Just realized the wording here doesn't work - you would discard a card, then discard Retriever, losing track of the initial discard, making Retriever as worded useless.

v0.2, with fixed wording:

Also, my examples of Cellar or Oasis are not nearly as useful as I first thought. When cards discard other cards from your hand, reacting with Retriever usually* results in the same effect as if you just discarded Retriever.

(*) an example edge case is if you have 2 Cellars, a Tunnel, and a Retriever in your hand

The good news is that there are still plenty of cards that discard during your turn from the top of the deck, for example, Hunting Party, and other cards where you "discard the rest".
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 01:00:33 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: June 17, 2019, 02:13:31 am »
+1

Remote Village
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
----------------
On your turn, when you have 0 actions, you may reveal then play this from your hand.
$4 - Reaction

Wanted to go for something a little different. Since it doesn't have the action type, you can't play it normally. It's a village that only works after you play a terminal. Also you can play it during your Buy or Night phase, which is fun.

Not sure if this should be $3 or $4. I put it at $4 for now because it's basically a worse Bazaar, but can be really nice with terminal draw. Much worse in a kingdom without many terminals or Champion, though.

Big fan of this one, but I think it needs to cost at least $5.

How does it compare to Bazaar then? I think it's significantly weaker, because you have to have a terminal in hand in order to play it.

Oops. I keep thinking this is an Action - Reaction. Anyone else having this problem?

So yes, this is probably fine at $4 as a pure Reaction. I'm even more intrigued with this card now by the way!

Have you considered an alternative wording that would remove the line and possibly any confusion that it is a pure Reaction? Something like:

"Directly after you finish playing an Action card, if you have no Actions, you may put this in play for +1 Card, +1 Action and +$1."

I like that alternate wording a lot better, it makes it more clear that you can't just play it during your action phase. Here's the updated card:

The dividing line definitely gives it the look* of an Action-Reaction (which, as I posted, could be a more interesting card).

(*) I just noticed the reaction background color - nice! I just changed mine as to that.

For just a reaction, I prefer Kudasai's alternative wording.

Yeah the alternate wording is definitely better. I feel it's a little more interesting as a pure Reaction, because then it's not as powerful and you have to be a little more tactful in how many you buy. If you start with a hand of 3 Remote Villages, you can't do anything with them.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:18:25 am by mail-mi »
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: June 17, 2019, 05:40:06 am »
+1

Also, my examples of Cellar or Oasis were incorrect. When cards discard other cards from your hand, you would just choose to discard Retriever.

The good news is that there are still plenty of cards that discard during your turn from the top of the deck, for example, Hunting Party, and other cards where you "discard the rest".
This card makes me think of rule questions... like when you discard multiple cards from your hand (Cellar/Warehouse-style), do you do that one at a time or all at once? If the latter, I am unclear on whether you could react to a multiple discard with 2 Retrievers to get 2 cards or if in that case lose-track would apply for the cards that aren't on top of your discard pile.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: June 17, 2019, 05:46:45 am »

Do you want to be left with 4 coppers? That means it can be a while until you can get a 5-cost.
The timeline is like this: open Convert/Convert, T3 trash Converts for 2 Silver (this only has a 2/3 chance of happening), T4 have 2*Silver, 3*Copper, Convert, guaranteed to hit $5. So it really doesn't take that long. I think it's better to weaken it like this, but I think double Convert is still the best play most of the time.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: June 17, 2019, 09:18:55 am »
+1

Insurance
Reaction - $2
Directly after any player finishes playing an Action card, if you have fewer than 5 cards in your hand, you may reveal or discard this from your hand to draw until you have 5 cards in your hand.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 01:08:04 am by NoMoreFun »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: June 17, 2019, 09:22:53 am »
+1

Also, my examples of Cellar or Oasis were incorrect. When cards discard other cards from your hand, you would just choose to discard Retriever.

This card makes me think of rule questions... like when you discard multiple cards from your hand (Cellar/Warehouse-style), do you do that one at a time or all at once? If the latter, I am unclear on whether you could react to a multiple discard with 2 Retrievers to get 2 cards or if in that case lose-track would apply for the cards that aren't on top of your discard pile.

It's all at once; this has always mattered in terms of giving your opponent info; they only get to see the card you choose to put on top of your discard.

So yes, Lose Track should apply. It seems similar to Tunnel, which already requires you to reveal a card that is lost tack of if you discard multiple Tunnels, but Tunnel's reaction doesn't require you to actually move it; only to reveal it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: June 17, 2019, 10:51:58 am »

It's all at once; this has always mattered in terms of giving your opponent info; they only get to see the card you choose to put on top of your discard.

So yes, Lose Track should apply. It seems similar to Tunnel, which already requires you to reveal a card that is lost tack of if you discard multiple Tunnels, but Tunnel's reaction doesn't require you to actually move it; only to reveal it.

Very good points! Seems like two potential issues:

1. Retriever gets discarded on top of the discards and you would lose track of anything below.
2. Discards for cards like Cellar are all at once.

The first can definitely be solved by another rewording: if you first set Retriever aside and discard at a later point (Clean-up, for example), then it won't immediately cover anything up.

Would this also handle the 2nd case, since you would have moved the top card from the discard into your hand?

In other words:
You Discard two cards, A and B, putting A on top B on top of discard pile.
Set aside 1st Retriever, move A to your hand (revealing B now on top of discard pile).
Set aside 2nd Retriever, move B to your hand.

Is that correct? Or are you not able to "recover" track of B after it gets covered up? I'm pretty sure I've read some similar examples somewhere, so I'll look and see if I can find any precedent.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: June 17, 2019, 10:56:22 am »
+1

Is that correct? Or are you not able to "recover" track of B after it gets covered up? I'm pretty sure I've read some similar examples somewhere, so I'll look and see if I can find any precedent.

I am pretty sure you aren't allowed to "recover" track. The canonical example is Watchtower + Border Village. Gain Border Village. Resolve its on-gain to gain Duchy. React with Watchtower to put Duchy on top of deck. You are not allowed to now also react with Watchtower to put Border Village on deck, because Border Village has been lost track of. It was covered up at a point in time, it doesn't matter that it's not covered up any more.

(In that case you could just resolve the on-gain in a different order to first put Border Village on hand and then gain Duchy if you wanted).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: June 17, 2019, 11:24:23 am »

I am pretty sure you aren't allowed to "recover" track. The canonical example is Watchtower + Border Village. Gain Border Village. Resolve its on-gain to gain Duchy. React with Watchtower to put Duchy on top of deck. You are not allowed to now also react with Watchtower to put Border Village on deck, because Border Village has been lost track of. It was covered up at a point in time, it doesn't matter that it's not covered up any more.

(In that case you could just resolve the on-gain in a different order to first put Border Village on hand and then gain Duchy if you wanted).

Great example, that case makes sense. So "recover track" is not allowed.

However, that is in cases where the gains are separate actions. With discarding all at once, I'm still unsure if lose track applies. Please bear with me. and a couple of potential examples :)

1. When you clean-up, I've also interpreted that as everything being discarded all at once. But then you'd only be able to Scheme one card, no? Or is my interpretation incorrect?

2. I feel like Faithful Hound is the closest example (where Faithful Hound retrieves itself, instead of another card). With this interpretation, if you reveal two Faithful Hounds to a Cellar, you would only be able to set one aside. I hoped to find an official ruling on this, but have not yet.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 11:27:30 am by scolapasta »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2460 on: June 17, 2019, 11:34:12 am »
+1

Great example, that case makes sense. So "recover track" is not allowed.

However, that is in cases where the gains are separate actions. With discarding all at once, I'm still unsure if lose track applies. Please bear with me. and a couple of potential examples :)

1. When you clean-up, I've also interpreted that as everything being discarded all at once. But then you'd only be able to Scheme one card, no? Or is my interpretation incorrect?

2. I feel like Faithful Hound is the closest example (where Faithful Hound retrieves itself, instead of another card). With this interpretation, if you reveal two Faithful Hounds to a Cellar, you would only be able to set one aside. I hoped to find an official ruling on this, but have not yet.

Hmm, I think that both Scheme and Faithful Hound imply that Retriever would work. Perhaps the reason this works here is that no effect started tracking the discarded cards until after they were already covered up. Effects start tracking at a certain point, and Lose Track applies when a card is moved (or covered up; because covered up is a type of moving; moving from the top of the discard pile to no longer the top of the discard pile).

In the case of discarding multiple cards at once; the second-to-top card in your discard pile was always the second-to-top card of your discard pile from the time that an effect started caring about it. It didn't go from being top-of-discard to no longer top-of-discard. So Lose Track won't apply. Instead, the effect is expecting the card to be second-from-top of discard, and that is in fact where it is; so it can be moved.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: June 17, 2019, 12:55:42 pm »
+1

Hmm, I think that both Scheme and Faithful Hound imply that Retriever would work. Perhaps the reason this works here is that no effect started tracking the discarded cards until after they were already covered up. Effects start tracking at a certain point, and Lose Track applies when a card is moved (or covered up; because covered up is a type of moving; moving from the top of the discard pile to no longer the top of the discard pile).

In the case of discarding multiple cards at once; the second-to-top card in your discard pile was always the second-to-top card of your discard pile from the time that an effect started caring about it. It didn't go from being top-of-discard to no longer top-of-discard. So Lose Track won't apply. Instead, the effect is expecting the card to be second-from-top of discard, and that is in fact where it is; so it can be moved.

Right, so lose track doesn't come into play, because the card neither moves nor is covered up* after it's discarded.

(*) with latest and greatest wording, v0.3

And it's corresponding FAQ:

FAQ
• If you discard multiple cards (e.g. in reaction to Cellar), you can set aside multiple Retrievers to put that number of discarded cards into your hand.
• If you set aside Retriever during an opponent's turn (e.g. in reaction to Rabble), it is discarded during that opponent's turn.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 11:53:04 pm by scolapasta »

Frolouch

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: June 17, 2019, 02:13:04 pm »

Here's my pure reaction card - with two choices.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:18:04 pm by Frolouch »

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: June 17, 2019, 02:23:09 pm »

Having just gone through this with my Retriever (albeit on discard instead of gain), this needs to be reworded for the 2nd part.

As it stands:
1. You gain a card X, putting it on your discard pile.
2. You discard Secret Cove.
3. You try to put card X into your hand, but it has been covered by Secret Cove (lose track rule).

Also, you don't need "Choose one:" - it can just has two separate triggers.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 04:06:22 pm by scolapasta »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: June 17, 2019, 02:38:18 pm »

The "Choose one" bit doesn't really make sense, because there's never a time when you are choosing which of the 2 options to do. Rather, when you gain a card, you can choose to react or not. And when an opponent plays an attack, you can choose to react or not. But you can never just choose one of those 2 options.

As for the functionality, it sounds like it's just a much weaker version of Watchtower. The second reaction is a strictly weaker version of Watchtower's reaction; both because you can't trash the incoming card and because you have to discard Secret Cove to do it; so you can't use it on multiple cards in the same turn. The first reaction seems very weak; a conditional one-shot that gains a Gold... even if it discarded instead of trashing itself that wouldn't be a strong effect.

And on top of that; Watchtower has an on-play ability and costs less.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:42:22 pm by GendoIkari »

wittyhowlard

• Swindler
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: June 17, 2019, 09:45:57 pm »

Quick question - does a Reaction-Duration card not qualify? I have an idea, but could always use it another time.

wittyhowlard

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: June 17, 2019, 10:19:47 pm »

EDIT: The card below has been modified. I've replaced the below with the new image, and there's also a new post

Never mind - thought of another idea. I dislike boards with limited or no trashing, so this is another entry to help out what that, especially in the opening rounds. This also pays homage to overpaying, an oft-neglected mechanic but one of my favourites in the game.

Tithe
Reaction - $1
When you buy any Action card in the supply, you may overpay for it. If you do, discard this card from your hand. Trash two cards from your hand for each $1 you overpaid by.
-
When you buy this, +1 buy and put this into your hand.

Not sure what the power level is like, but I liken it to a Bonfire, except the Reaction takes up space in your deck until you get rid of it later. I also see this as a quasi-Villa of trashing.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 03:28:30 pm by wittyhowlard »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: June 17, 2019, 10:36:08 pm »

Tithe
Reaction - $1
When you buy any Action card in the supply, you may overpay for it. If you do, discard this card from your hand. Trash two cards from your hand for each $1 you overpaid by.
-

The discarding should be before the overpaying. Otherwise there's no accountability.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: June 17, 2019, 10:47:50 pm »
+1

Changed it so it only works for non-variable VP. Most of the time you'll just be using it on Provinces anyway. And it works for Colonies, so that's interesting.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: June 18, 2019, 12:15:16 pm »

It is a slight nerf and I guess it also makes the card more smooth.

Gardens is something you could do via card counting but for Feodum, Silk Road and Vineyard you'd have to reveal your hand, deck and discard pile and then count everything. That's cumbersome and you'd then need some extra rule about how you do it. One way would be to reveal your hand, discard your deck and then reveal your discard pile.

wittyhowlard

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: June 18, 2019, 03:56:55 pm »

Tithe
Reaction - $1
-

The discarding should be before the overpaying. Otherwise there's no accountability.

I think that's only necessary when you get a benefit from overpaying. In this case, without Tithe there's no benefit to players for overpaying for actions (absent any other overpay cards in the Kingdom).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: June 18, 2019, 04:38:19 pm »
+1

Tithe
Reaction - $1
-

I think that's only necessary when you get a benefit from overpaying. In this case, without Tithe there's no benefit to players for overpaying for actions (absent any other overpay cards in the Kingdom).

I'm not clear what you mean... without Tithe, you wouldn't be allowed to overpay for a card. So when you buy a card, you should have to discard (or at least reveal) Tithe in order to be allowed to overpay for it. Then you would get the benefit for overpaying. As worded, it just says you are allowed to overpay, but it doesn't say what's actually allowing you to do that. Presumably, you want having Tithe in hand to be the thing that allows it.

Also, it's not clear how this will work with overpay cards. If you buy Doctor and overpay by 2, can you get both the Tithe benefit and the Doctor benefit?

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: June 18, 2019, 04:55:31 pm »

Kind reminder, that the current contest will end tomorrow (June 20, 00:00 UTC+0).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 02:10:54 am by King Leon »

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: June 19, 2019, 01:38:41 pm »

Final update.

There are 12 copies of Convert in the Supply

-now you have to think more carefully about how many coppers you trash, if you trash all the way down to 4, you won’t be able to afford a 5 for some time, especially since the cards you gain won't be able to produce $.
-now there is the really complex and interesting decision about how many coppers to trash, and there's many more situations in which you would delay buying Converts.

CHALLENGE #33 - JUST REACT SUBMISSION:

I have made some changes to Convert. Also, convert is meant to be the noun version of convert, not the verb.

There are 12 copies of Convert in the Supply, instead of 10.
Summary of changes:
- I wanted to make it less of a no-brainer to always open double Convert. So, I weakened the on-gain significantly down. There are now more interesting questions... how many coppers can you afford to trash if you buy two. Do you want to be left with 4 coppers? That means it can be a while until you can get a 5-cost.
- I changed the trashing to happen on gain. This allows for synergy with itself (trash a Convert with upgrade, then gain a Convert to trash your hand) and more flexibility. The "may" clause prevents opponents from trashing your hand with ambassador.

Getting stuck with a Convert isn't so great anymore. I think that Smithy/Silver opening, and *then* trying for a mega-convert turn where you trash a lot more cards, might work in a lot of scenarios, rather than opening double Convert. There are more than 10 cards to allow you to delay Convert while still getting the opportunity to buy them later without them running out. It also lets 4 players all get 3 Converts.

And now I'm including my original thoughts that still apply

Well, it seems like I accidentally made something that would have been good for the previous contemplate skipping chapel contest. This sort of acts like an event by giving you the on-buy effect. It's a decent trasher, amazing at trashing the starting estates, but you can't trash the cards you had in play to buy it, and it's stuck in your deck as a dead card. Except it isn't a dead card-- if you can trash it, it turns it to something really special! How do you trash it? You could buy another convert. Whatever this religion is, it's spreading! Be careful, if you had terminal actions in hand, you'll have to lose those in the difficult conversion process. And if you started to collected provinces, well, adding another convert is going to really hurt.

One thing I like is that Convert is the great equalizer between openings. No matter your opening, you could open Convert/Convert and after shuffle 1 have 2 converts and 4 coppers. Not so bad. Buy a third convert hoping to trash both your converts and start building up is a fun way to start the game.

This trashes before the first shuffle. So, there's comparisons to bonfire. Well, as a trasher, bonfire gives you flexibility with the ability to trash cards in play and the ability to decide which ones to trash. You can play a bunch of money to buy some cards and then trash them later. However, Convert forces you to not play your treasures in order to trash them, so it effectively costs at least 1 more for every copper you want to trash. Also, Convert has no flexibility, it always trashes your entire hand. So, while at first it seems like you might always buy convert over bonfire, as soon as the game reaches mid or end-game, you're probably buying bonfire instead to clean things up. Similar to the fast trasher, chapel, The cost of $2 is necessary to make sure both players can open it. If it cost $3, 5/2 would be really brutal as you could only buy a 2-cost card and trash 2 coppers. While the 3/4 player could trash all their estates. The trashing would be a lot worse if it cost more, so then the price wouldn't fit as well.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 11:04:59 pm by anordinaryman »

wittyhowlard

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: June 19, 2019, 03:26:25 pm »
+2

I'm not clear what you mean... without Tithe, you wouldn't be allowed to overpay for a card. So when you buy a card, you should have to discard (or at least reveal) Tithe in order to be allowed to overpay for it. Then you would get the benefit for overpaying. As worded, it just says you are allowed to overpay, but it doesn't say what's actually allowing you to do that. Presumably, you want having Tithe in hand to be the thing that allows it.

Also, it's not clear how this will work with overpay cards. If you buy Doctor and overpay by 2, can you get both the Tithe benefit and the Doctor benefit?

Thanks for the feedback. You're right, you can only overpay if the cards say so. I've simplified my submission and removed the overpay mechanic, I think this is a lot better.

Tithe
Reaction - $1
When you buy any Action card in the supply, you may discard this from your hand. Trash a card from your hand for each $1 the Action cost.
-
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.