Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546307 times)

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #2400 on: June 13, 2019, 09:40:35 am »

I don't know, this + Workshop can drain the pile instantly. In general I feel that gaining to your hand is super strong. Also it should clarify that "if you did" refers to the putting the gained card into your hand, not the revealing.

You're probably right, it should be strong enough without the bottom part. I'll take it off.
I have sigs off.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: June 13, 2019, 10:24:50 am »
+4

Here's my entry.  Illusionist's reaction is a sort of a self-Enchantress, turning any Action you play into a terminal Library effect.  Without +Actions, it can turn a weaker Action into some nice draw, and with +Actions, it's possible to piece together a Draw-to-X engine where you can choose which cards are your draw.  Illusionist is weakened by the facts that it's a dead card if you have no Actions to play, and pairing it with Actions you actually want to Illude isn't always easy.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #33: Pure Reaction card
« Reply #2402 on: June 13, 2019, 11:48:43 am »

Clarification: The 2nd reaction is worded the way it is so that you can gain an Action card, Blockade it onto your deck, and then put the Blockade onto that Action's pile.
I like this a lot, a great take on the "hot potatoe" card.
I just worry a b it about bootstrapping the whole thing: you have to pay $4 (or forsake a Workshop variant gain) and once draw into the card to get the whole thing going and nobody might have an incentive to do so (as the pile-blocking might also hurt you).

Perhaps put one Blockade on a random Action Supply pile during setup?

Blockade v1.1 now gains you a Gold and a Silver if you do the second reaction, giving you an incentive to do so.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: June 13, 2019, 12:34:45 pm »
+1

Here is my submission (Card has been updated)

Notes:
1) You may select any card in play (actions, treasures, night). You may also select duration cards from other players play area.
2) If you select an opponent's inherited estate this will play as your type of inherited estate at the beginning of your next turn. If you didn't buy inheritance, it will have no effect when played.

Rationale for price:
I'm comparing this to throne room/crown, and not BoM because it plays more like them. Ignoring it's ability to react on your opponents' cleanup phases (we'll get back to that later), it doesn't look as good as a crown. They both allow you to play itself as a card you already own without taking up an action.
Pros of copy over TR/crown
1) Can play as a night card (or treasure card in the case of throne room)
2) Can't draw dead
3) If you get crown late in your turn with no good targets, it stinks.
4) Can use multiple copies to play as the same 1 action card you have (e.g. you can use multiple of these to play trusty steed)
5) More useful for while-in-play effects

Cons of copy over TR/ crown
1) Takes effect next turn (which severely limits the number of times you can play it, and it also will miss the reshuffle)
2) dead card the turn you get it
3) Doesn't work as well with cards that trash themselves

I think this has use as a BoM variant in games without good draw. If you don't draw that much, you're much more likely to get to use it's reaction on your opponent's turn (thus getting the benefit quicker and not causing it to miss the reshuffle) which will usually allow you to use it as something worthwhile.

What do you guys think of the price?

Update: After enough people saying it, I've upped the price to $5.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 10:57:38 am by naitchman »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: June 13, 2019, 01:10:13 pm »

This isn't a TR variant. TR plays twice, which is a huge difference in the case of Actions over a mere copy.

So BoM/Overlord is the appropriate comparison. This is better than BoM as it can also copy more cards: Treasures, Nights, Actions that cost more than $4, Actions whose piles are empty.
This is worse than BoM as, like a Duration, it stays out for one turn and as you are less flexible, having to commit yourself before your turn.

Looks overpowered at $4 but probably too weak at $5.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: June 13, 2019, 02:11:43 pm »

I think another good comparison is Royal Carriage; both let you replay a card, and they both have uses even when you don't draw them with good cards to play.  This is a Royal Carriage that can't be called on your cards in the same turn, but that can be called on your opponent's cards and can hit Treasure/Night cards.  The fact that this card is essentially a Duration is the only downside compared to Throne Room. (As a side note, it should probably have the Duration type since it stays out until your next turn no matter when you play it; compare with Caravan Guard, which also gets better if you can use it on your opponent's turns.)

Given that being able to double Treasures was enough to make Crown cost $5, even though you almost always use it for actions, Copy should probably cost $5 as well.  It would probably be weaker than Crown or Royal Carriage at $5, but Scepter is a Throne variant that's severely limited but still has uses, and I think this card would be similar.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: June 13, 2019, 03:43:24 pm »

This isn't a TR variant. TR plays twice, which is a huge difference in the case of Actions over a mere copy.

So BoM/Overlord is the appropriate comparison. This is better than BoM as it can also copy more cards: Treasures, Nights, Actions that cost more than $4, Actions whose piles are empty.
This is worse than BoM as, like a Duration, it stays out for one turn and as you are less flexible, having to commit yourself before your turn.

Looks overpowered at $4 but probably too weak at $5.

You're missing that you're picking a card already played; so it will get played a total of twice. Throne Room is actually a Band of Misfits variant... Throne Room could also read "+1 action. Play this as if it were an card in your hand". It would mostly play the same. Basically, Throne Room acts like another copy of any action card you draw it with, with an extra +1 action tacked on.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: June 13, 2019, 03:46:45 pm »

So BoM/Overlord is the appropriate comparison.

I disagree. TR + smithy (for example) is the same as playing TR as a smithy with a +action tacked onto it and then playing your smithy like you normally would.
If you're not using this reaction on your opponenet's turn (which unless you have bad draw won't happen often, as I said), this is like playing a Crown (that can also be used on night cards) that gets its second play next turn.

Perhaps I shouldn't have said TR variant in the last point. In that case you're right. If you use it with bad draw, then it will play more like BoM since you'd reveal it on your opponent's turns more. I'll change that.

The overall idea is like this:
If you reveal it on an opponent's turn it's more powerful (it doesn't have a delayed effect) and plays more like BoM (Choose a card and play it as that card).
If you reveal it on your turn it's weaker (it has a delayed effect, despite the fact that it can be used on treasures and night) and plays more like a delayed TR.

It can work in a drawing engine but it is going to have drawbacks over TR. Being able to play TR every turn is huge (especially with power cards like Grand Market, or Level 3 City, etc). You also don't have as much flexibility as with TR since you don't know what you'll need next turn.

In a game without good draw (BM or alt VP) it's going to work much better as I said before. You will be revealing this more on your opponent's turn in this game, but I will add the drawback that this can only play as cards your opponent played which might not be what you need. This can't just play as any card on the board.

I've thought about it and I really can't view pricing this at $5. I would rarely take this over a royal carriage or a crown.

In response to math, it shouldn't be a duration. It doesn't stay in play, it gets set aside. Just like prince is not a duration. besides it doesn't get a delayed effect when played, only when it is revealed.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: June 13, 2019, 03:48:49 pm »
+1

You're missing that you're picking a card already played; so it will get played a total of twice. Throne Room is actually a Band of Misfits variant... Throne Room could also read "+1 action. Play this as if it were an card in your hand". It would mostly play the same. Basically, Throne Room acts like another copy of any action card you draw it with, with an extra +1 action tacked on.
Holy smokes.
You took the words right out of my mouth. I wrote something so similar it's uncanny. I swear I was writing before you posted. LOL

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: June 13, 2019, 04:23:43 pm »
+1

Design
Types: Reaction
Cost: P
At the start of each Clean-Up, if 1 or fewer Actions were played this turn, you may trash this from your hand and gain a card costing up to $5P.
When you buy this, +1 Buy.
I think this should be a Treasure.
I must confess that I don't follow your logic train.
Design can be trashed in response to any turn in which 1 or no Actions were played. You can trigger it yourself by not playing Actions or take advantage of another player's turn misfiring (or using an action-lite strategy). How could a Treasure approximate that effect?

Leasehold
Cost: $3
When you take a token, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, take 2 tokens of the same type, and at the end of your turn, discard this.
When you gain this, +1VP.
I am a little confused. Do you mean for this to gain 2 more tokens, or 2 tokens total? If I Leasehold a Leasehold, do I get +3VP (+1VP from the gain and +2VP from the Reaction)? Surely I can use 2 or more Leaseholds simultaneously to increase the effect, right? (The ability to trigger all your Leaseholds simultaneously will make Leasehold a huge deal on heavy engine boards where the potentiality of Leasehold becomes 10+45*Leasehold's effect.) If so, I would word this as "take 2 more tokens of the same type", for clarity. Assuming that is the case, I worry that Leaseholds are functionally Victory cards that don't split evenly. I appreciate how it functions with the oft pointless Setup Landmarks, though.

Copy
Cost: $4
At the start of any payer's Clean-Up phase, you may set this aside from your hand and select a card in play. If you do, then at the start of your next turn, play this as if it were the selected card. This is that card until it leaves play.
I've thought about it and I really can't view pricing this at $5. I would rarely take this over a royal carriage or a crown.
The big difference is that if you target a Smithy (or any draw, really) with Copy, you get to draw cards and still have +Actions left, as opposed to other "Throne Room" variants which don't leave you with +Actions. I'd recommend a cost of $5.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: June 13, 2019, 04:30:07 pm »
+2

Design
At the start of each Clean-Up, if 1 or fewer Actions were played this turn, you may trash this from your hand and gain a card costing up to $5P.
Design can be trashed in response to any turn in which 1 or no Actions were played. You can trigger it yourself by not playing Actions or take advantage of another player's turn misfiring (or using an action-lite strategy). How could a Treasure approximate that effect?

I don't think the wording on Design is clear enough. I assumed that it only worked on your turn. I (and probably faust) didn't realize it worked on other player's turns.

I would recommend something along the lines of "At the start of any player's Clean-up phase, if that player played 1 or fewer Actions during their turn..."
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 04:31:35 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: June 13, 2019, 04:32:40 pm »

I figure it's basically just a Reaction version of Lab, so it should cost 5. It's not identical, though. There are situations where it's worse and situations where it's better.

Version 2: added "at the start of your next clean-up phase" to prevent secret chamber loops.

Added an image
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: June 13, 2019, 05:24:32 pm »

[THIS IS NO LONGER MY ENTRY FOR THIS WEEK'S CHALLENGE. NEW ENTRY IS RETRIEVER]

Tough challenge this week.

Rather than come up with a card that would competes with other cards you may prefer to buy, I decided to try something a little different: a 0 card cost, that doesn't do much (and in fact, will sometimes get in the way), but still might be worth an extra buy.

Rabbits are a one shot "throne room" for tokens.

[Note: it gives +1 card before repeating the effect of the token, in order to also work better with my entry from last week: Worshippers. Feel free to ignore them when evaluating (or not)]

Changelog:
v0.1 - initial

FAQ:
• Recommended to use only with Kingdoms having at least one card that gives tokens.
• When you trash Rabbits, you repeat the effect of the token, e.g. if you removed a Villager from it's mat, you would get +1 Action (in addition to the Action you got from removing the Villager).

Secret History:
I'm considering making this a base card and having the FAQ say something like, "In games that use Villagers or Coffers [or Worshippers], add this as a base card X% of the time."
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 07:48:19 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: June 13, 2019, 05:57:40 pm »

I have a question. Can we do a pure reaction card that wouldn't need the type reaction?

Certain "reaction" conditions (on-gain, on-buy, on-trash) do not add the type of "reaction" to the card. Would it be permissible to make a card that only uses those conditions instead of the other reaction-conditions (when an attack is played, when a province is purchased, when this is discarded, etc) that normally add the "reaction" type?

Such a card would technically need no type, but the reaction type would be helpful to remind you, hey this thing does things when you gain it and buy it, etc.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2414 on: June 13, 2019, 06:08:41 pm »

I have a question. Can we do a pure reaction card that wouldn't need the type reaction?

Certain "reaction" conditions (on-gain, on-buy, on-trash) do not add the type of "reaction" to the card. Would it be permissible to make a card that only uses those conditions instead of the other reaction-conditions (when an attack is played, when a province is purchased, when this is discarded, etc) that normally add the "reaction" type?

Such a card would technically need no type, but the reaction type would be helpful to remind you, hey this thing does things when you gain it and buy it, etc.

Well, the only thing the Reaction type ever does is it colors the card blue. Mechanically, none of the existing Reactions would have to be Reactions.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2415 on: June 13, 2019, 07:24:49 pm »

Rather than come up with a card that would competes with other cards you may prefer to buy, I decided to try something a little different: a 0 card cost, that doesn't do much (and in fact, will sometimes get in the way), but still might be worth an extra buy.

[Note: it gives +1 card before repeating the effect of the token, in order to also work better with my entry from last week: Worshippers. Feel free to ignore them when evaluating (or not)]

Changelog:
v0.1 - initial

FAQ:
• Recommended to use only with Kingdoms having at least one card that gives tokens.
• When you trash Rabbits, you repeat the effect of the token, e.g. if you removed a Villager from it's mat, you would get +1 Action (in addition to the Action you got from removing the Villager).

Secret History:
I'm considering making this a base card and having the FAQ say something like, "In games that use Villagers or Coffers [or Worshippers], add this as a base card X% of the time."

Frankly, it's not worded very well. I know what it means due to what you've said outside of the card, but when I first looked at it, I thought "repeat what effect?" It should say "and repeat the token's effect."

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: June 13, 2019, 07:29:33 pm »

The big difference is that if you target a Smithy (or any draw, really) with Copy, you get to draw cards and still have +Actions left, as opposed to other "Throne Room" variants which don't leave you with +Actions. I'd recommend a cost of $5.
I'm not sure what you mean.

That'd be like getting a haunted woods over a smithy when your opponent has a champion because you'll get the cards on a turn you didn't use up your action. Sure there are edge cases where it helps, but in general, getting things now is better than getting things later.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: June 13, 2019, 10:48:12 pm »

Well, the only thing the Reaction type ever does is it colors the card blue. Mechanically, none of the existing Reactions would have to be Reactions.

I sort of disagree. The Reaction type is necessary if the reaction is to something completely unrelated to the card itself; e.g. "when an Attack card is played", "when you gain a card". The Reaction type lets you know that it can do something during a phase when cards normally can't do anything.

The way it's officially used is inconsistent, though, because it's also used when the card reacts to certain things that happen to itself ("when you discard this", "when something reveals this") but not other things ("when you gain this", "when you trash this").

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: June 14, 2019, 01:55:17 am »

If you reveal it on an opponent's turn it's more powerful (it doesn't have a delayed effect) and plays more like BoM (Choose a card and play it as that card).
Yeah and unlike with BoM and Overlord there is no cost restriction. You could play this as copy of anything: Platinum, Fortune, Prince, City Quarters, Goons, Kings's Court, you name it.
Which is why $4 is likely to be too cheap.

In response to math, it shouldn't be a duration. It doesn't stay in play, it gets set aside. Just like prince is not a duration. besides it doesn't get a delayed effect when played, only when it is revealed.
Sure, if you want to get hyper-technical it is not necessary and you could always avoid the Duration type.
Here it makes a lot of sense though. It is not like that type was introduced for mere fun back in the days but to remind players visualls not to clean up some cards.
Furthermore it is helpful in gauging the strength of cards. When you see something orange, you immediately associate it all the downsides of Durations.

I'm not sure what you mean.

That'd be like getting a haunted woods over a smithy when your opponent has a champion because you'll get the cards on a turn you didn't use up your action. Sure there are edge cases where it helps, but in general, getting things now is better than getting things later.
If Smithy draws into any TR variant except for Ghost that card is dead.
If Smithy draws into Copy, you can Copy Smithy which makes that very Copy behave like a non-terminal Haunted Woods without the Attack.

Never being dead is pretty huge. Even in decks with a decent Action density, TR fails often enough.

About Durations always sucking, I disagree that you always want stuff now instead of later. Delayed terminal draw is one of the things that can be as good or even better than immediate terminal draw for consistency reasons. Delayed Actions are also pretty useful. I'd often take Fishing Village over "+3 Actions +2 Coins".

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: June 14, 2019, 02:01:28 am »
+1

Design
Yeah I missed that this works on any player's clean-up. Nevermind then.

Leasehold
Cost: $3
When you take a token, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, take 2 tokens of the same type, and at the end of your turn, discard this.
When you gain this, +1VP.
I am a little confused. Do you mean for this to gain 2 more tokens, or 2 tokens total? If I Leasehold a Leasehold, do I get +3VP (+1VP from the gain and +2VP from the Reaction)? Surely I can use 2 or more Leaseholds simultaneously to increase the effect, right? (The ability to trigger all your Leaseholds simultaneously will make Leasehold a huge deal on heavy engine boards where the potentiality of Leasehold becomes 10+45*Leasehold's effect.) If so, I would word this as "take 2 more tokens of the same type", for clarity. Assuming that is the case, I worry that Leaseholds are functionally Victory cards that don't split evenly. I appreciate how it functions with the oft pointless Setup Landmarks, though.
Yes, it's supposed to be 2 extra. I'm not too worried about this as a Victory pile, mostly because you can only activate Leaseholds once per turn, so your greening would have to be super slow to reap the benefits, and that runs counter to a heavy engine.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: June 14, 2019, 02:25:24 am »
+1

NOTE: Convert has been modified to be slightly weakened. Check out the edit on the next page

Well, it seems like I accidentally made something that would have been good for the previous contemplate skipping chapel contest. This sort of acts like an event by giving you the on-buy effect. It's a decent trasher, amazing at trashing the starting estates, but you can't trash the cards you had in play to buy it, and it's stuck in your deck as a dead card. Except it isn't a dead card-- if you can trash it, it turns it to something really special! How do you trash it? You could buy another convert. Whatever this religion is, it's spreading! Be careful, if you had terminal actions in hand, you'll have to lose those in the difficult conversion process. And if you started to collected provinces, well, adding another convert is going to really hurt.

One thing I like is that Convert is the great equalizer between openings. No matter your opening, you could open Convert/Convert and after shuffle 1 have 2 converts and 4 coppers. Not so bad. Buy a third convert hoping to trash both your converts and start building up is a fun way to start the game.

This trashes before the first shuffle. So, there's comparisons to bonfire. Well, as a trasher, bonfire gives you flexibility with the ability to trash cards in play and the ability to decide which ones to trash. You can play a bunch of money to buy some cards and then trash them later. However, Convert forces you to not play your treasures in order to trash them, so it effectively costs at least 1 more for every copper you want to trash. Also, Convert has no flexibility, it always trashes your entire hand. So, while at first it seems like you might always buy convert over bonfire, as soon as the game reaches mid or end-game, you're probably buying bonfire instead to clean things up. Similar to the fast trasher, chapel, The cost of $2 is necessary to make sure both players can open it. If it cost $3, 5/2 would be really brutal as you could only buy a 2-cost card and trash 2 coppers. While the 3/4 player could trash all their estates. The trashing would be a lot worse if it cost more, so then the price wouldn't fit as well. So, it's kinda like chapel in that it's very strong for its price. But it's the right price for it.

The first clause is on buy and not on gain because a clever opponent could ambassador you into trashing your hand on their turn. Not good.

I welcome positive/negative feedback on this. The only question I had was whether to make the gain up to $4 instead, as the power might fit a little better. But I think I enjoy the power and spike of being able to get the good Kingdom Cards.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 03:36:46 pm by anordinaryman »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: June 14, 2019, 03:36:09 am »

Remote Village
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
----------------
On your turn, when you have 0 actions, you may reveal then play this from your hand.
$4 - Reaction

Wanted to go for something a little different. Since it doesn't have the action type, you can't play it normally. It's a village that only works after you play a terminal. Also you can play it during your Buy or Night phase, which is fun.

Not sure if this should be $3 or $4. I put it at $4 for now because it's basically a worse Bazaar, but can be really nice with terminal draw. Much worse in a kingdom without many terminals or Champion, though.

Added an image.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: June 14, 2019, 03:52:16 am »
+1

One thing I like is that Convert is the great equalizer between openings. No matter your opening, you could open Convert/Convert and after shuffle 1 have 2 converts and 4 coppers. Not so bad. Buy a third convert hoping to trash both your converts and start building up is a fun way to start the game.
It's only at surface level equalizing though. After you've opened double Convert (which will be the right might on a vast majority of boards, there is a 33% chance that you'll only have 1 Convert in you next hand, which will put you at a significant disadvantage compared to a player who gets to trash both their Converts. Not to mention that there is a major problem with 4 players: Only two people will be able to buy 3 Converts.

I think it's too strong, and it will always play the same (Donate is also super strong, but the question of when to buy it and whether to get 1 or 2 make it interesting to play). Also technically it's not a Reaction, because when-buy and when-trash effects don't turn cards into reactions. It would be a no-type card.

EDIT: I see you addressed the "does not need to be a reaction" question before.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 03:58:24 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: June 14, 2019, 11:19:24 am »

It's only at surface level equalizing though. After you've opened double Convert (which will be the right might on a vast majority of boards, there is a 33% chance that you'll only have 1 Convert in you next hand, which will put you at a significant disadvantage compared to a player who gets to trash both their Converts. Not to mention that there is a major problem with 4 players: Only two people will be able to buy 3 Converts.

I think it's too strong, and it will always play the same (Donate is also super strong, but the question of when to buy it and whether to get 1 or 2 make it interesting to play). Also technically it's not a Reaction, because when-buy and when-trash effects don't turn cards into reactions. It would be a no-type card.

EDIT: I see you addressed the "does not need to be a reaction" question before.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure if "too powerful" is necessarily un-interesting. You almost always open with Chapel. You would almost always open with this. Chapel is interesting. However, I think you're right, making a double-convert opening *always* the best I don't like. I want to make it more of an interesting choice, do I open double convert or convert/$5.

I'm wondering if you think I could minimize the gain on trash ability to be less powerful. Things I also played with "gain a treasure." or "gain a card costing up to 4." I'm wondering if those would be better. I had another idea to make the on-trash give some benefit to other players like draw a card, or gain a copy of the card you gained, or gain a card that costs less than the one you gained. Or perhaps you could gain debt when you trash it.

The 4-player critique is a really helpful one! I definitely hadn't considered that, since I am way biased to 2 player games. Thank you very much. Do you think it would justify making more than 10 cards in the pile? 12 is a magic number that divides evenly between 2, 3 ,and 4 players.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: June 14, 2019, 12:47:45 pm »

Changelog:
v0.1 - initial

FAQ:

Secret History:

Frankly, it's not worded very well. I know what it means due to what you've said outside of the card, but when I first looked at it, I thought "repeat what effect?" It should say "and repeat the token's effect."

Fair enough. I played around with several versions of the text (your suggestion being one of them) and hoped this one with fewer words would be clear enough. Obviously not, so I'll change for the next version.

Aside from the text, though any thoughts on the concept?

It's purposefully designed to be a card that doesn't do much, but could work well with cards that plan your next turn (hence the top decking).

Is this a card you would consider using an extra buy on sometimes or is it just a dud and I should scrap the concept completely?

Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.