Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546395 times)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #2375 on: June 12, 2019, 03:49:09 pm »

I will post an image and name later, but for now:

Cost: 5

When you draw this, you may reveal this and set it aside. If you do, +2 Cards and return this to your hand.

I figure it's basically just a Reaction version of Lab, so it should cost 5. It's not identical, though. There are situations where it's worse and situations where it's better.

"When you draw this" triggers have been discussed before; the issue is accountability... by the time you have drawn it; it's in your hand, mixed with the other cards. How do you show if it was a card you just drew, or one that was always in your hand? Also, when is it worse than Lab?
It is often worse than Laboratory: as it has no standard type, you cannot gain it via University, there are again no Ironworks-style interactions, no interaction with the Vassal/Herald/Scrying Pool/Ghost/Golem family and so on.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: June 12, 2019, 03:50:34 pm »

When you draw this, you may reveal this and set it aside. If you do, +2 Cards and return this to your hand.

I figure it's basically just a Reaction version of Lab, so it should cost 5. It's not identical, though. There are situations where it's worse and situations where it's better.

"When you draw this" triggers have been discussed before; the issue is accountability... by the time you have drawn it; it's in your hand, mixed with the other cards. How do you show if it was a card you just drew, or one that was always in your hand? Also, when is it worse than Lab?

It can't be Throned, and it makes Militia-like attacks hit you harder if the reaction was one of the initial 5 cards you drew for the next turn.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: June 12, 2019, 03:51:19 pm »

Just for clarification, are you just saying a reaction without the main types (action, treasure, victory, night) but it could be a reaction-looter or reaction-attack, or that it is a pure reaction with no other types, no exceptions?

Also a formatting Q to the public: What do you do when you have no on play effect but you have a reaction/ while in play effect? Do you make a line with nothing above it and write your reaction part underneath? Or do you just skip the line? Or do you write above the line "This card cannot be played" or something like that?

I mean a pure Reaction card. Hovel and Tunnel are almost pure Reaction cards. The Attack type makes no sense for Reaction cards and not all attacks come from Attack cards. For example, Ill-gotten Gain has an offensive on-gain effect, but is no Attack card.

You don't need a vertical line, if you only have a Reaction. See Hovel for reference. You may need a vertical line if you have when-in-play, during-cleanup or similar effects.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 03:56:26 pm by King Leon »

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: June 12, 2019, 05:07:25 pm »

This can also create an infinite loop with secret chamber:
Opponent plays attack
Reveal secret chamber
Draw Lab-reaction (+ 2 cards)
topdeck lab-reaction and some other card
reveal secret chamber again
Repeat

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: June 12, 2019, 05:10:11 pm »

I feel that other people have done a good idea addressing your second question. For your first question: maybe it could have a different back, like Stash?
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: June 12, 2019, 06:01:03 pm »

Just a simple way to get some $$$$ into your deck.

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: June 12, 2019, 06:59:23 pm »

I feel that other people have done a good idea addressing your second question. For your first question: maybe it could have a different back, like Stash?

You could make the reveal a specific moment in time like at the start of your turn. This would make it considerably weaker, but I think in an interesting way. You'd also need some Horse Traders like wording so you set it aside to avoid multiple reveals.

EDIT: I meant to say drawing during your Clean-up might be a good window to have this, not the start of your turn.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 07:14:03 pm by Kudasai »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: June 12, 2019, 09:34:38 pm »

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: June 12, 2019, 09:36:30 pm »

This can also create an infinite loop with secret chamber:
Opponent plays attack
Reveal secret chamber
Draw Lab-reaction (+ 2 cards)
topdeck lab-reaction and some other card
reveal secret chamber again
Repeat

Hmm. I missed that. What if I said "return this to your hand at the start of your next clean-up phase"?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 09:39:37 pm by hhelibebcnofnena »
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

artless

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: June 12, 2019, 10:33:30 pm »

It seems that everyone is designing around "when someone gains something" (to ensure triggering).
Here comes something different.

Sentinel
Reaction $3

When another player gains a victory card, you may discard this from your hand and draw a card.
---
During your buy phase, if this is in your discard, cards cost 1 less, but no less than 0.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 10:35:45 pm by artless »

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2385 on: June 12, 2019, 11:08:02 pm »
+1

Design
Types: Reaction
Cost: P
At the start of any player's Clean-Up, if that player played 1 or fewer Actions this turn, you may trash this from your hand. If you do, gain a card costing up to $5P.
When you buy this, +1 Buy.

EDIT: Wording. Also doesn't care about Caravan Guards that other players use.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 05:07:15 pm by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: June 12, 2019, 11:28:07 pm »

It seems that everyone is designing around "when someone gains something" (to ensure triggering).
Here comes something different.

Sentinel
Reaction $3

When another player gains a victory card, you may discard this from your hand and draw a card.
---
During your buy phase, if this is in your discard, cards cost 1 less, but no less than 0.

You aren't allowed to look through your discard pile, so there would be no way to track this.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #33: Pure Reaction card
« Reply #2387 on: June 13, 2019, 12:28:36 am »
+1

Clarification: The 2nd reaction is worded the way it is to clarify that you can gain an Action card, Blockade it onto your deck, and then put the Blockade onto that Action's pile.

Version History:
v1.0: Original version.
v1.1: Added Gold + Silver gaining as an incentive to put Blockades onto Action piles.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 11:47:49 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: June 13, 2019, 03:06:04 am »

Foundry (Reaction) [$4]

When an opponent gains a card, you may trash this from your hand to gain two cheaper cards.

When do you cash this in? The threat of using it might cause some interesting decisions for everyone else...

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: June 13, 2019, 03:14:34 am »

Foundry (Reaction) [$4]

When an opponent gains a card, you may trash this from your hand to gain two cheaper cards.

When do you cash this in? The threat of using it might cause some interesting decisions for everyone else...
Nobody will be prevented from gaining cards just because the opponent might be able to gain 2 Silvers.
This is more expensive than Engineer yet on average weaker (has to be in hand, can only gain $3s and its only advantage is that it is non-terminal).

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #33: Pure Reaction card
« Reply #2390 on: June 13, 2019, 03:19:58 am »

Clarification: The 2nd reaction is worded the way it is so that you can gain an Action card, Blockade it onto your deck, and then put the Blockade onto that Action's pile.
I like this a lot, a great take on the "hot potatoe" card.
I just worry a b it about bootstrapping the whole thing: you have to pay $4 (or forsake a Workshop variant gain) and once draw into the card to get the whole thing going and nobody might have an incentive to do so (as the pile-blocking might also hurt you).

Perhaps put one Blockade on a random Action Supply pile during setup?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 03:21:21 am by segura »

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: June 13, 2019, 03:30:24 am »
+1

I meant cheaper relative to the card the opponent gained, not Foundry itself.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: June 13, 2019, 03:44:51 am »
+1

Leasehold
$3 - Reaction

When you take a token, you may set this aside from your hand. If you did, take 2 more tokens of the same type, and at the end of your turn, discard this.
-
When you gain this, +1VP.

Clarification: If you get VP tokens, this gives you more VP tokens. Coffers give more Coffers, and Villagers give more Villagers. If you really want to, you can also use this to get more Debt. Doesn't work with Pirate Ship because you don't take the tokens there, you just put them on your mat.

EDIT: Updated to clarify wording.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 05:32:10 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: June 13, 2019, 03:50:13 am »
+1

Design
Types: Reaction
Cost: P
At the start of each Clean-Up, if 1 or fewer Actions were played this turn, you may trash this from your hand and gain a card costing up to $5P.
When you buy this, +1 Buy.
I think this should be a Treasure.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: June 13, 2019, 04:11:58 am »
+3

Remote Village
On your turn, when you have 0 Actions left (Actions, not Action Cards), you may put this in play, for +1 Card, +1 Action, +$1
(This is not an Action Card)
$4 - Reaction

Wanted to go for something a little different. Since it doesn't have the action type, you can't play it normally. It's a village that only works after you play a terminal. Also you can play it during your Buy or Night phase, which is fun.

Not sure if this should be $3 or $4. I put it at $4 for now because it's basically a worse Bazaar, but can be really nice with terminal draw. Much worse in a kingdom without many terminals or Champion, though.

v1.1: Changed the wording so it is more recognizable as a Reaction card, not an Action-Reaction card.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:17:56 am by mail-mi »
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: June 13, 2019, 05:11:50 am »

Two uses that link together. Draw this during Clean-up, and just before you finish your turn you can discard down to a minimum of 3 cards from your next hand and get a Villager for each one (you can of course discard this in the same way, just discard it last).

During your Action phase, just after resolving an Action, you can put this onto your deck for a Coffers. If you play drawing cards, you're converting one of those draws into a Coffers (which you can repeat with a follow-up draw card). Or if you're done drawing, it's going into your Clean-up draw for Villagers.

Is this worth $4 or $5...? I've gone safe with $5 for now.
Edit: 'from hand' terms added, thanks Faust 2 posts down.
Edit 2: made the discard for Villagers just down to 3 cards, felt too much potential.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 08:30:36 am by Aquila »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: June 13, 2019, 05:46:56 am »

Replica
cost $2 - Reaction
When you gain a card costing up to $6, you may trash this from your hand to gain a copy of that.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 12:07:12 pm by majiponi »

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: June 13, 2019, 07:48:25 am »

Every Reaction that does not specify "from your hand" should be immediately disqualified!

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: June 13, 2019, 08:09:41 am »

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 09:41:09 am by hypercube »
I have sigs off.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: June 13, 2019, 09:20:00 am »

I don't know, this + Workshop can drain the pile instantly. In general I feel that gaining to your hand is super strong. Also it should clarify that "if you did" refers to the putting the gained card into your hand, not the revealing.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.