Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546959 times)

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #32: make Chapel bad
« Reply #2275 on: June 06, 2019, 04:43:35 am »
+1

Landmarks all involve VP, so when you want to add a rule to the game that doesn't involve VP the simplest thing is a new type. Asper did some of these and called them Edicts, so I've followed suit here. Not the best of names, I know.

You can still do trashing with this, but make it slow and careful so you can build up as well.
Edit: that's the name Landfill Tax that might be bad, not Edict.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 04:45:57 pm by Aquila »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #2276 on: June 06, 2019, 08:02:13 am »

Yes, it's mathy. So are actual taxes. :P
If you didn't get the point, this is supposed to encourage you to keep the average cost of cards in your deck low. I struggled with finding a way to encourage a deck of cheap cards that usually matters but isn't too brutal.
I like the idea very much but you have to scale up the variable somehow, multiply it with something or whatever.
Something like -2/-3 vs -6/-7 is just a VP spread of 4. That's precisely identical to winning a '6VP per player' Landmark split by one (8VP vs. 4 VP) and just the third of winning the Province split by one.
This is not enough to make you not thin and run a deck with cheap cards.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2277 on: June 06, 2019, 10:26:57 am »

Co-cathedral
$1 Event
Once per turn: +1 buy and you may trash a card from your hand.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: June 06, 2019, 11:52:11 am »
+2

All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: June 06, 2019, 12:01:43 pm »

Here's my current submission (this card has been updated):

A couple of notes
1) The setting aside happens in the same way as possesion; you don't get the card back until after cleanup, meaning you will not be able to draw them.
2) The setting aside happens on all turns including your opponents (or between turns for donate), but putting it into your discard pile (or trash) happens at the end of your turn only.
3) This will work if you trash cards on your opponents turn via knights, swindler, saboteur, bishop, etc. (as far as who counts as the trashers owner; follow the already established rules).
4) Each player has their own set aside area; this is not one communal pool. In other words, your not gaining cards you're opponent trashed.
5) This can be used to get trash for benefit without actually trashing.
6) This excludes cards trashed from the supply,or else salt the earth can become way too crazy sometimes.
7) Taking a cue from Aquila, I made this an edict.

Updates:
1) This now happens after you trash rather than when you trash. thus any "when you trash" abilities happen before this. If the card is no longer in the trash Regret has lost track of it. This was mainly to make it so someone couldn't posses you and then trash your cards (choosing to use Regret's ability first), set them aside, and then put the good ones in the trash. As a result, you now cannot set aside your fortress with this.
2) changed "not from the supply" to other than from the supply" to more clearly indicate trashing a card directly from the supply.
3) You now put your cards back at the end of every turn (including other player's). This is to make it a little less swingy. it used to be if your opponent knights you twice, then on your turn if you play a steward, you get to trash 2 cards (instead of what would be effectively 1 in a game like this) and get your 2 cards back. Now, if your opponent knights you twice, you trash 1 and keep 1. You obviously don't have control over what happens on your opponents turns so I think this is better. Technically cards trashed from donate will get put back at the end of your next opponent's turn.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 06:03:07 pm by naitchman »

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: June 06, 2019, 12:31:49 pm »

Here's my current submission:

A couple of notes
1) The setting aside happens in the same way as possesion; you don't get the card back until after cleanup, meaning you will not be able to draw them.
2) The setting aside happens on all turns including your opponents (or between turns for donate), but putting it into your discard pile (or trash) happens at the end of your turn only.
3) This will work if you trash cards on your opponents turn via knights, swindler, saboteur, bishop, etc. (as far as who counts as the trashers owner; follow the already established rules).
4) Each player has their own set aside area; this is not one communal pool. In other words, you're not gaining cards you're opponent trashed.
6) This excludes cards trashed from the supply,or else salt the earth can become way too crazy sometimes.

I assume the "not from the supply" is just to avoid weird Lurker interactions? It could also be read as "you only set it aside if it doesn't have a supply pile". I would change the wording, assuming my interpretation is correct, to "when you trash a card from your hand", to avoid ambiguity.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: June 06, 2019, 12:42:36 pm »

Here's my current submission:

A couple of notes
4) Each player has their own set aside area; this is not one communal pool. In other words, you're not gaining cards you're opponent trashed.

I assume the "not from the supply" is just to avoid weird Lurker interactions? It could also be read as "you only set it aside if it doesn't have a supply pile". I would change the wording, assuming my interpretation is correct, to "when you trash a card from your hand", to avoid ambiguity.

I want to keep cards trashed not from your hand, like knights and swindler.

Technically the word "from" would exclude your interpertation. "From" usually denotes where the card was when the thing happened/ happens (discard a card from your hand means to discard a card in your hand, not a card that you originally gained from your hand). If I meant to exclude cards that have a supply pile, I probably would have written "a card not in the supply", like BoM. I don't know; do you have a better wording that only excludes cards trashed from the supply but not from your deck or discard pile, without being too wordy. What about, "when you trash a card other than from the supply"?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: June 06, 2019, 01:25:09 pm »

"when you trash a card other than from the supply"?

This seems good to me.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: June 06, 2019, 01:31:04 pm »

Challenge #32: Make me skip chapel!

Basically, in a kingdom with the card (-shaped object) you design for this contest, and chapel, make it frequently a viable strategy never to buy a chapel.

Printed things that do this that come to mind include (but might not be limited to) Donate, Cathedral, Gardens, Philo-stone, and Fountain. Entries will be judged based on:
* How likely they are to make me skip chapel (You usually buy Chapel even when Gardens is on the board.)
* How much they don't completely break the game (You obv skip chapel in a game with a $2 Event that says "Gain the province pile")
* How much I personally like them (duh)

I'll try to judge on Monday, June 10.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts on the wording of this weeks challenge. The contest is to make MeNowDealWithIt likely want to skip Chapel, not not skip Chapel. I think there is a big difference here. No entry is going to be able to make Chapel completely nonviable without violating the 2nd part of this contest, "don't completely break the game".

I believe all of our entry's are going to work with Chapel in some form or another, because Chapel is kind of designed to work on any board in some way. It's just a matter of who can get the closest to the edge without trashing the game in a sense.

Great stuff already by the way!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: June 06, 2019, 01:46:57 pm »

No entry is going to be able to make Chapel completely nonviable without violating the 2nd part of this contest, "don't completely break the game".

What about Donate? I feel like if it didn't exist, and someone submitted it as an entry for this challenge, people would accuse it of completely breaking the game. And maybe it does completely break the game.. at least in the same way that Chapel completely broke the game in the base set. As in, games that have that card available force you to play differently because it's available.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: June 06, 2019, 02:12:40 pm »
+1

Regret, Hoard House and Landfill Tax are useless when there is no trasher in the game. I think, the card should be also usable without Chapel in the game (even Moat is usable without attacks and Tunnel without discarders gives at least some victory points).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 02:15:07 pm by King Leon »

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: June 06, 2019, 02:44:14 pm »
+1

And here comes my submission. (The separate post is intended, because this one is unrelated to the previous.)

Dowser
Type: Action
Cost: $4*

+1 Action
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the ones costing $2 or less into your hand. Discard the rest.
-
During your Action phase, this costs $2 less, but not less than $0.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: June 06, 2019, 02:47:25 pm »
+3

Regret, Hoard House and Landfill Tax are useless when there is no trasher in the game. I think, the card should be also usable without Chapel in the game (even Moat is usable without attacks and Tunnel without discarders gives at least some victory points).

I was thinking about this. In the end I tried to keep the text count low. At the end of the day there is precedence for cards that only make an impact if trashing is available (Rats, Tomb, Sewers). In general I agree with your idea; you should avoid making cards that need specific kingdom conditions without supplying that condition from the card itself (example: Old Witch. It allows others to trash curses from their hand. What if there's no cursers? Don't worry it's a curser too). I just think exceptions should be made for conditions which are very common (+buy, trashing, villages, +actions, +$, etc.) especially for sideways cards (worse case scenario, they don't have an impact and you can just pretend they're not there)

A good example would be conspirator; it's only really worth it if you can play 2 actions before it, otherwise you should just buy silver. What if there are no +actions in the kingdom? Possible but highly unlikely. Another one would be Labyrinth. What if there's no +buy and no gainers? Again, not likely.

I agree that the card shouldn't just focus on chapel; all the cards you mentioned, however, have an impact on trashers in general.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 03:01:44 pm by naitchman »

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: June 06, 2019, 03:05:08 pm »

Vestry (Action-Duration) [$3]

+1 Card
+1 Action

Now and at the start of your next turn, +1 Buy.
---
While this is in play, when an opponent trashes one or more cards, you may trash up to two cards from your hand.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: June 06, 2019, 03:07:30 pm »

Newb question: I can't figure out how to post images in this forum. I always think submissions look better when they appear in card form...

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: June 06, 2019, 03:14:52 pm »
+1

Newb question: I can't figure out how to post images in this forum. I always think submissions look better when they appear in card form...

Use the following code:
Code: [Select]
[img width=300]http://the.url.to/your/picture.png[/img]
You can upload pictures at several web pages, for example imgur.com or abload.de.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: June 06, 2019, 03:21:48 pm »
+1

you can make the cards here

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: June 06, 2019, 03:25:06 pm »
+2

And here comes my submission. (The separate post is intended, because this one is unrelated to the previous.)

Dowser

+1 Action
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the ones costing $2 or less into your hand. Discard the rest.
-
This looks like scout but actually a reasonable buy  ;D

Still this seems close to apothecary and for (relatively) less $. It loses the +1 card but gets the ability to draw itself from the top. It also draws estates/shelters (and other 2 cost cards) things you start with. You could probably win by just buying these and 1 copper and then piledriving provinces.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 03:38:30 pm by naitchman »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: June 06, 2019, 03:29:07 pm »
+2

Dowser

+1 Action
-
That is completely broken unless you find a way to make it impossible to buy in the opening.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: June 06, 2019, 04:09:34 pm »

I noted, that opening Dowser + Fool’s Gold is totally broken and this was the best Inheritance target ever. So there is the updated, defused version:

Dowser
Cost: <8>

+1 Action
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the Coppers, Estates, Shelters, Heirlooms and Dowsers into your hand. Discard the rest.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 04:17:17 pm by King Leon »

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: June 06, 2019, 04:28:55 pm »

I noted, that opening Dowser + Fool’s Gold is totally broken and this was the best Inheritance target ever. So there is the updated, defused version:

Dowser

+1 Action
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the Coppers, Estates, Shelters, Heirlooms and Dowsers into your hand. Discard the rest.

It's still broken. You can still open with it, and in the early game, it's effectively +4 Cards +1 Action.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: June 06, 2019, 05:04:24 pm »
+1

First, we had Coffers, tokens that you "spend" in your Buy Phase; then Villagers introduced tokens "spent" during your Action phase. Now let's welcome: Worshippers, a new type of token that you can "spend" during your Clean up phase:

At the start of your Clean-up phase, remove tokens from here: for each token removed, you may trash a card from your hand or one you have in play.

Benefits of Worshippers compared to just trashing a card:

• you can play a Copper (or other card) on the same turn that you trash it
• you can hold on to the trashing if you don't have anything current to trash
• the corollary to that is you can stock up on Worshippers as a defense to gaining Junk
• a trasher like Apse Chapel can effectively trash itself, when you're done with it

Entry for the challenge:

Apse Chapel, a Chapel variant

[NOTE: I've moved the other cards that demonstrated the mechanic to a different thread: scolapasta's cards. Feel free to join us there for discussion on these and other cards and/or if you have any ideas for new cards that use Worshippers.]

Changelog:
v0.1 Worshippers, Apse Chapel - initial
v0.2 Worshippers - changed wording to "At the start of your Clean-up phase" to be more clear

FAQ:
At the start of your Clean-up phase means before you discard any cards.

Secret History:
• I considered having Worshippers trash from just your hand or just in play. But I think I prefer trashing either, as long as I balance out the cost on cards that give you Worshippers.
• I keep trying Apse chapel as +3 Worshippers (for $3?), then decide that's too good, and then revert back to +2 Worshippers (for $2).

I hope this mechanic is interesting, feedback is very welcome. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 11:51:25 am by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: June 06, 2019, 05:37:29 pm »

Dowser

+1 Action

It might still be broken, but at the least I would remove Shelters and Heirlooms from the list. That's 2 extra things to have to list for a situation that should very rarely matter. It's fine if the card is simply weaker in Shelters or Heirlooms games.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: June 06, 2019, 05:46:34 pm »

My entry is very much a WORK IN PROGRESS. But I want to post the mechanic and first 3 cards, in case the idea needs significant re-work. FEEDBACK IS VERY WELCOME!

First, we had Coffers, tokens used in your Buy Phase; then Villagers, tokens used your Action phase. Now we have, Worshippers, a new type of token that you can use during your Clean up phase:

During your Clean up phrase, you may remove tokens from here: for each token removed, you may trash a card instead of discarding it

*Phase, not phrase.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: June 06, 2019, 05:58:37 pm »

*Phase, not phrase.
Thanks, fixed.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.