Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546516 times)

Frolouch

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #2200 on: May 31, 2019, 09:03:33 pm »

Here's my wacky card.
6 card types  :o

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: May 31, 2019, 09:33:23 pm »

Here's my wacky card.

A Hexing Village is going to be too nasty. Hexes stack, and Villages, after all, are cards you want to play a lot of, and can easily play a lot of. This is also going to have a swinginess problem because of the massive reward you get next turn. Also, I don't think this needs to have the Reaction type.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: May 31, 2019, 09:35:07 pm »

Here’s my two cents

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: May 31, 2019, 09:38:06 pm »

Here's my wacky card.

This card is totally broken in comparsion to other terminal Gold+ with the $5 price tag like Harvest, Merchant Ship, Treasurer or Sacred Grove.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: May 31, 2019, 10:21:33 pm »
+1

Here's my wacky card.

Not only is this far too strong, as others have said, but there is no rule saying that Durations have to stay in play to get their next turn effect; they only stay in play for tracking purposes and so that you can't stack the same one multiple times. As worded, you still get the next turn bonus even if the card is removed from play, and as a result, that effect is a GOOD thing, making it even more overpowered.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: May 31, 2019, 11:54:16 pm »

Copper Pixie
cost $2 - Action - Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn:
gain up to 2 Coppers to hand.
---
While this is in play, during another player's turn, when you would gain a card, instead gain a Copper.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: June 01, 2019, 02:37:35 am »
+1

Copper Pixie
---
While this is in play, during another player's turn, when you would gain a card, instead gain a Copper.

Considering that 90% of the time, you'd be gaining worse cards during other player's turns, this seems like a benefit and not a vulnerability.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: June 01, 2019, 03:41:44 am »

Copper Pixie
---

Considering that 90% of the time, you'd be gaining worse cards during other player's turns, this seems like a benefit and not a vulnerability.
I think that's the point of the card: a Trader-like defense against junking Attacks at the cost of a Beggar-like on-play effect.
While I think that the quasi-Reaction is interesting, I also think that the card is too weak.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: June 01, 2019, 03:44:45 am »

Here's my wacky card.

A Hexing Village is going to be too nasty. Hexes stack, and Villages, after all, are cards you want to play a lot of, and can easily play a lot of. This is also going to have a swinginess problem because of the massive reward you get next turn. Also, I don't think this needs to have the Reaction type.
Given that Hexes are relatively weak Attacks, you could argue that a $5 card could get away with the normal design rule of  "don't do cantrip Attacks (unless it is weak like Urchin or hard to get like Familiar)". I agree that the next turn effect is too much on top of that and in and of itself also too strong and too swingy.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: June 01, 2019, 04:00:57 am »

Conjurer
$5 - Action/Duration/Doom

Gain an Action card costing up to $5. Receive the top Hex. You may set both aside. If you did, at the start of your next turn, play the Action and discard the Hex.
-
While this is in play, when another player gains a copy of the set aside card, receive the set aside Hex (leaving it there).
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: June 01, 2019, 09:45:58 am »

Copper Pixie
---

I think that's the point of the card: a Trader-like defense against junking Attacks at the cost of a Beggar-like on-play effect.
While I think that the quasi-Reaction is interesting, I also think that the card is too weak.

This is a 2-cost Merchant Ship. I thought gaining Copper when other player plays a Governer is nice vulnerability while most of the time I gain a Copper instead of a Curse, but yes, this seems weak now. Maybe up to 3 works.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: June 01, 2019, 10:14:56 am »

Here's my entry. Trade Pact is similar to Masquerade (without passing) the turn you play it, and then gains a Silver to your hand on your next turn.  While it's in play, when an opponent trashes a card, you have to as well.  This is of course potentially beneficial in the early, but eventually you may be forced to trash something good.  The Silver gaining can mitigate your losses, while also providing trash targets later (both for "defense" or "attack").  $4 might be too cheap, but it also felt a bit weak at $5 since you only get the Masquerade effect every other turn.  Feedback is appreciated!

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: June 02, 2019, 07:06:40 am »

Copper Pixie
---

This seems pretty much just better than Beggar in any situation you'd want Beggar though, so I wouldn't say it's too weak. It's just really niche, I think it's good to have some cards like that.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: June 02, 2019, 12:52:37 pm »

In Garden games this is probably slightly worse than Beggar. Gaining 1 Copper more is compensated by this being a Duration and, more importantly, the Reaction leading to a net gain of 2 fewer cards.
Beggar's Reaction also seems better on average. There are far more situations in which you want 2 Silvers than exchange a Ruins/Curse for a Copper.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: June 02, 2019, 01:13:17 pm »

Copper Pixie
---

This is a 2-cost Merchant Ship. I thought gaining Copper when other player plays a Governer is nice vulnerability while most of the time I gain a Copper instead of a Curse, but yes, this seems weak now. Maybe up to 3 works.

My point is that most of the time, it's not a vulnerability. I think it has to be a vulnerability most of the time to fit the prompt (or at least more often than extremely rarely). There are very, very few times the while-in-play effect is NOT a benefit.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 01:16:09 pm by Gubump »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: June 02, 2019, 01:20:10 pm »

Copper Pixie
---

Which makes it not a vulnerability, which was the prompt.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: June 02, 2019, 02:08:24 pm »

There are very, very few times the while-in-play effect is NOT a benefit.
The notion that self-junking yourself with FOUR coppers is most of the times beneficial is utterly ludicrous. There is no way to support any kind of engine play with that. All that a Copper-thick deck can achieve is Gardens (Duchy/Duke is unlikely) and perhaps provide economy in a Kingdom with junkers and no trashers. The likelihood of such Kingdoms occuring is extremely small.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 02:09:48 pm by segura »

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: June 02, 2019, 04:24:39 pm »

In Garden games this is probably slightly worse than Beggar. Gaining 1 Copper more is compensated by this being a Duration and, more importantly, the Reaction leading to a net gain of 2 fewer cards.
Beggar's Reaction also seems better on average. There are far more situations in which you want 2 Silvers than exchange a Ruins/Curse for a Copper.

I think Beggar(Copper Pixie)-Gardens is where this is the best right? You rarely shuffle because your deck is really fat so being a Duration has little downside. Splitting the Coppers over 2 turns also probably makes you hit $4 slightly more often than the more spiky Beggar money, although hitting $4 in Beggar-Gardens isn't a problem so I doubt that matters much. Gaining 1 more Copper per play there is huge though. Also with Beggar you have to choose between reacting or playing it, where as Copper Pixie does both. I think I can count the games I've seen someone actually react a Beggar on my fingers and I've been playing since before Dark Ages came out anyway, the below the line parts of both seem pretty irrelevant to be honest.

Eh all this is pretty pointless really, my point was just that this is really similar to an existing (admittedly weak) card so writing it off as too weak is odd to me.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: June 02, 2019, 07:46:26 pm »

There are very, very few times the while-in-play effect is NOT a benefit.
The notion that self-junking yourself with FOUR coppers is most of the times beneficial is utterly ludicrous. There is no way to support any kind of engine play with that. All that a Copper-thick deck can achieve is Gardens (Duchy/Duke is unlikely) and perhaps provide economy in a Kingdom with junkers and no trashers. The likelihood of such Kingdoms occuring is extremely small.

That's the when-played effect.  Gubump was referring to the while-in-play effect, which is the replacement of cards gained on other players turns with Copper. Usually the card you would be replacing is a Curse, and replacing Curses with Coppers is a benefit.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: June 03, 2019, 01:47:44 am »

That's the when-played effect.  Gubump was referring to the while-in-play effect, which is the replacement of cards gained on other players turns with Copper. Usually the card you would be replacing is a Curse, and replacing Curses with Coppers is a benefit.
Nope. He argued that the card has no downside which is simply wrong as self-junking yourself with 4 Coppers is most of the times a huge downside.
The Trade-like defense is always good, although weaker than Trader, whereas the on-play effect is nearly always bad.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2220 on: June 03, 2019, 02:00:20 am »

I think I can count the games I've seen someone actually react a Beggar on my fingers and I've been playing since before Dark Ages came out anyway, the below the line parts of both seem pretty irrelevant to be honest.
Different experience for me. The Reaction is far more useful than the on-play effect which isn't surprising as 2 Silvers are nearly always superior to 3 hand-gained Coppers. Gardens, Monastery and Guildhall Kingdoms with trashers are the only situations which come to mind in which you might want to play Beggar.
2 Silvers on the other hand are useful in a zillion of situations and the topdecked Silver defends against nasty trashing attacks.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: June 03, 2019, 02:17:07 am »
+1

Nope. He argued that the card has no downside which is simply wrong as self-junking yourself with 4 Coppers is most of the times a huge downside.
The Trade-like defense is always good, although weaker than Trader, whereas the on-play effect is nearly always bad.

I never said or even implied that. I specifically said that the while-in-play effect was positive and not negative. The prompt was to "design a Duration card that creates some sort of vulnerability to you while it is in play." WHILE it is in play, not its immediate effect. I don't appreciate the strawman argument you seem to be using.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: June 03, 2019, 03:06:08 am »

I never said or even implied that. I specifically said that the while-in-play effect was positive and not negative. The prompt was to "design a Duration card that creates some sort of vulnerability to you while it is in play." WHILE it is in play, not its immediate effect. I don't appreciate the strawman argument you seem to be using.
My mistake, I thought you refered to the copper self-junking being good.

I totally did not keep this trivial detail about the parameters of this contest in mind, all I remembered was "Duration with some liability". He can speak for himself but I seriously doubt that Kudasai minds the inversion, i.e. a liability on play but a neat thing while in play, given that this is pretty creative and harder to do then the other way around.

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: June 03, 2019, 06:53:46 am »

I think I can count the games I've seen someone actually react a Beggar on my fingers and I've been playing since before Dark Ages came out anyway, the below the line parts of both seem pretty irrelevant to be honest.
Different experience for me. The Reaction is far more useful than the on-play effect which isn't surprising as 2 Silvers are nearly always superior to 3 hand-gained Coppers. Gardens, Monastery and Guildhall Kingdoms with trashers are the only situations which come to mind in which you might want to play Beggar.
2 Silvers on the other hand are useful in a zillion of situations and the topdecked Silver defends against nasty trashing attacks.

Guildhall-Beggar doesn't need trashers, it just kind of buys Provinces until they empty, quickly. You can also use Beggar to gain fodder for things like Forager, or Altar or Mercenary or whatever thing that does something unique in the kingdom but needs fodder to trash.

The Beggar reaction is probably relevant with Knights sometimes, but that's about it really none of the other junking attacks are really very good. Basically for Beggars reaction to be good you need an attack in the kingdom (obviously) and you need to be getting attacked often enough that you can reliably trigger the reaction, which basically only happens in engine games and you need gaining 2 Silvers to be good enough that it's worth adding a dead card to your deck, which is rarely the case in an engine. So you really need the stars to align to have that reaction be relevant.

Here's my entry. Trade Pact is similar to Masquerade (without passing) the turn you play it, and then gains a Silver to your hand on your next turn.  While it's in play, when an opponent trashes a card, you have to as well.  This is of course potentially beneficial in the early, but eventually you may be forced to trash something good.  The Silver gaining can mitigate your losses, while also providing trash targets later (both for "defense" or "attack").  $4 might be too cheap, but it also felt a bit weak at $5 since you only get the Masquerade effect every other turn.  Feedback is appreciated!

I doubt you'll realistically ever be forced to trash something good with this, you usually just stop playing your trasher when you run out of cards to trash.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: June 03, 2019, 07:39:39 am »

So you really need the stars to align to have that reaction be relevant.
True that. The situation in which Attacks are in the Kingdom and you want 2 Silvers occur infinitely more frequently than the rare situations in which you want to handgain 3 Coppers.
As you seemingly disagree with Silver generally being better than Copper, feel free to point out other situations than Guildhall and Gardens in which you actually want to play Beggar.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.