Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547064 times)

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #2150 on: May 30, 2019, 01:37:52 pm »

As a sidenote, ignoring that it would then not match the parameters of the contest anymore, wouldn't it make more sense as a Project?
You're right. It does look much cleaner like this.

I'll work on a new submission.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 04:55:30 pm by naitchman »

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: May 30, 2019, 03:22:39 pm »

Privateer (Action-Duration) [$5]

Now and at the start of your next turn, +$3.
---
While this in play, when an opponent gains
VP and you have more than 3 cards in your
hand, discard a card.

When I say "gains VP", I mean "gains a VP token" or "gains a Victory card".

This might force opponents to buy a VP card earlier than they want to. Or, maybe they have cards that can gain VP tokens to defend against this...

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: May 30, 2019, 03:48:21 pm »

As a sidenote, ignoring that it would then not match the parameters of the contest anymore, wouldn't it make more sense as a Project?

So with the right combination of weird stuff*, you could play a treasure while you have , in which case the question is whether or not the - sends you to negative (in which case you'll soon be getting back and end up at anyway; or whether it cannot go below , in which case you could do weird stuff to end up with from this on the same turn that you lost your cube.

*You have an action/treasure you can play at the start of turn (Prince, Summon, Ghost); and choose to do that before resolving the +.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 03:49:35 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: May 30, 2019, 04:08:07 pm »
+1

So with the right combination of weird stuff*, you could play a treasure while you have , in which case the question is whether or not the - sends you to negative (in which case you'll soon be getting back and end up at anyway; or whether it cannot go below , in which case you could do weird stuff to end up with from this on the same turn that you lost your cube.

*You have an action/treasure you can play at the start of turn (Prince, Summon, Ghost); and choose to do that before resolving the +.

Another case: You play Storyteller and play no Treasures. The you have ( from Charity and from Storyteller) are gone afterwards. You play a Copper during your Buy phase. You now have negative .
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 04:14:01 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: May 30, 2019, 04:29:59 pm »

Another case: You play Storyteller and play no Treasures. The you have ( from Charity and from Storyteller) are gone afterwards. You play a Copper during your Buy phase. You now have negative .

Or just buy a Villa and then play your first treasure of the turn in your next buy phase.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: May 30, 2019, 05:27:48 pm »
+3

This may need some tweaking; not sure if it's balanced, so I'd appreciate your thoughts. I really liked the idea of a Bridge that applies to everyone. I thought of calling it a Suspension Bridge, because when you play it, it's kind of suspenseful, but they weren't invented yet in the middle ages, so I went with Rope Bridge, as it's an earlier form of suspension bridges.

My thoughts on whether it's balanced: It gives you the benefit for two turns, like Bridge Troll. However, it helps the other players instead of attacking them. In terms of the additional benefit, I'm really not sure, because +2 Cards seems stronger than +1 Buy, but it's less self-synergizing, and you only get it for one of your two turns. I also tried comparing this to Den of Sin but nothing really came from that. Bridge Troll seems like its closest relative, and there's too much of a difference between them for me to be able to tell what a good cost is.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: May 30, 2019, 06:00:45 pm »

Considering that it's only one card that gives your opponents Coffers when they gain it, I don't think the drawback is big enough to price this the same as a Remodel when it's way better.

I don't know, I think Remodel is probably better than this on average to be honest. This is better if you draw it turn 3 (although if your opponent gets the Coffers I'm not so sure it is), but if you draw it turn 4 and it misses the shuffle you might have rather had a Remodel. I also think your opponent is going to get the Coffers the majority of the time because the card you gain is going to cost $4 or less and will also be something they'll be interested in gaining too if you're gaining it (unless one of you is going for a really weird strategy). Getting a free Coffers in the first shuffle is huge!

Later on the game you can't do gain and play with this, which is probably where Remodel is at its best and depending on what you're doing your opponent might even be able to get multiple free Coffers.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: May 30, 2019, 06:01:11 pm »

This may need some tweaking; not sure if it's balanced, so I'd appreciate your thoughts. I really liked the idea of a Bridge that applies to everyone. I thought of calling it a Suspension Bridge, because when you play it, it's kind of suspenseful, but they weren't invented yet in the middle ages, so I went with Rope Bridge, as it's an earlier form of suspension bridges.

My thoughts on whether it's balanced: It gives you the benefit for two turns, like Bridge Troll. However, it helps the other players instead of attacking them. In terms of the additional benefit, I'm really not sure, because +2 Cards seems stronger than +1 Buy, but it's less self-synergizing, and you only get it for one of your two turns. I also tried comparing this to Den of Sin but nothing really came from that. Bridge Troll seems like its closest relative, and there's too much of a difference between them for me to be able to tell what a good cost is.

I think it should clarify "while this is in play, including during other players' turns, cards cost less, but not less than ." I assumed it was only during your turn (thus not qualifying for this contest) until I read your explanation.

Also, I definitely think that it should cost less than Bridge. The lack of +1 Buy and the fact that it's effectively a Highway for your opponents hinders its power quite a bit.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 06:05:40 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: May 30, 2019, 06:08:36 pm »

I think it should clarify "while this is in play, including during other players' turns, cards cost less, but not less than ." I assumed it was only during your turn (thus not qualifying for this contest) until I read your explanation.

Also, I definitely think that it should cost less than Bridge. The lack of +1 Buy and the fact that it's effectively a Highway for your opponents hinders its power quite a bit.

Good point. I'll update the wording. Should it go down to ? Should it become non-terminal? Any other ideas?
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: May 30, 2019, 06:21:59 pm »

Good point. I'll update the wording. Should it go down to ? Should it become non-terminal? Any other ideas?

EDIT: Scratch what I said before. I think it should give +1 Buy now, 2 cards next turn, and remain at .
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 06:32:48 pm by Gubump »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #2160 on: May 30, 2019, 06:27:27 pm »

I really do think it should give +Buy. +Buy enormously increases the benefit of the cost reduction for you vs. your opponents, which I think is interesting.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: May 30, 2019, 06:33:33 pm »

I really do think it should give +Buy. +Buy enormously increases the benefit of the cost reduction for you vs. your opponents, which I think is interesting.

Agreed. He should separate the Buy and the 2 cards (i.e. give them on different turns), though, if he wants it to stay at .

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile

I decided my first entry was super-boring, so here's my new entry.

A card that lets you Throne Room a card from your hand now and Throne it again next turn, but only if nobody else gains a copy of it before your next turn. If anybody does gain that card in the meantime, the card is lost. Are you going to play the risky way and General your good cards, or play it safe and General weak-ish cards that nobody else wants?

Version History:
v1.0: Original version.
v1.1: Changed pseudo-discarding to pseudo-trashing.
v1.2: Fixed tracking issues by adding a non-Duration condition to setting aside.
v1.3: Removed an unnecessary set aside condition and changed pseudo-trashing to actual trashing.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 11:04:46 pm by Gubump »

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: May 30, 2019, 08:05:20 pm »
+1

Thanks for your feedback! Added +1 Buy when you play it.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 08:29:50 pm by hhelibebcnofnena »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: May 30, 2019, 08:11:52 pm »

Thanks for your feedback! Added +1 Buy when you play it. Gubump, when you said scratch what you said before, I assume you meant the wording change? Should I still add a parenthetical about other people's turns, or is it good this way?

Sorry, I should have left what I previously said in that comment. "What I said before" was about making it non-terminal. You should still add a parenthetical about other people's turns.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: May 30, 2019, 08:21:07 pm »

Lich
Type: Action - Attack - Duration
Cost: $5

Each other player gains a Curse.
At the start of your next turn: +$3
-
While this is in play, when you gain a card, put that card onto your deck.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 08:31:29 pm by King Leon »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: May 30, 2019, 08:25:00 pm »

Thank you Kudasai for this interesting challenge!

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: May 30, 2019, 08:26:54 pm »
+2

A card that lets you Throne Room a card from your hand now and Throne it again next turn, but only if nobody else gains a copy of it before your next turn. If anybody does gain that card in the meantime, the card is lost. Are you going to play the risky way and General your good cards, or play it safe and General weak-ish cards that nobody else wants?

Note: It says "put the set aside card into the trash" instead of "trash the set aside card" so that it won't be OP with on-trash effects.

Version History:
v1.2: Fixed tracking issues by adding a non-Duration condition to setting aside.

First off, I think you can just trash the card. There's few enough on-trash effects that it won't make any difference most of the time. And it's okay if it's a more powerful card and plays a little differently in the occasional kingdom; it's not like the official cards always play the same way.

Secondly, you only need the non-Duration condition; the other condition is covered by lose-track and is pretty wordy for something already covered in the rule book.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: May 30, 2019, 08:31:42 pm »

Sorry, I should have left what I previously said in that comment. "What I said before" was about making it non-terminal. You should still add a parenthetical about other people's turns.

Okay, added that in my previous post. There's no functional change so I'm not re-posting it.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: May 30, 2019, 08:38:00 pm »

Note: It says "put the set aside card into the trash" instead of "trash the set aside card" so that it won't be OP with on-trash effects.

Version History:

First off, I think you can just trash the card. There's few enough on-trash effects that it won't make any difference most of the time. And it's okay if it's a more powerful card and plays a little differently in the occasional kingdom; it's not like the official cards always play the same way.

Secondly, you only need the non-Duration condition; the other condition is covered by lose-track and is pretty wordy for something already covered in the rule book.

I agree. Though, for what it's worth, being able to put Fortress in the trash is kind of cool.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: May 30, 2019, 08:44:06 pm »

Lich
Type: Action - Attack - Duration
Cost: $5

Each other player gains a Curse.
At the start of your next turn: +$3
-
While this is in play, when you gain a card, put that card onto your deck.
For a second I was like, what's so bad about putting gained cards on your deck? Then I realized it topdecks the curses you gain. Nice.  :)
I'm wondering if this should follow sea hag's idea of discarding the top card (or at least giving you the option) so you don't get pinned.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: May 30, 2019, 08:44:27 pm »

Version History:

I agree. Though, for what it's worth, being able to put Fortress in the trash is kind of cool.

Okay, I applied the suggested changes in my original post. Although Fortress was the main reason for pseudo-trashing; it's now a no-brainer to just General a Fortress. Procession has the same problem, though, so that should be fine.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 08:46:05 pm by Gubump »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: May 30, 2019, 08:50:50 pm »

Thank you Kudasai for this interesting challenge!

Problem: Players would have to remember whether they Moated Inspector when it was played, or had a Lighthouse in play when Inspector was played, for an entire round. This is because Moat and Lighthouse both say "when another player plays an Attack," and next-turn effects are not playing an Attack; setting them up is.

Swamp Hag and Haunted Woods have the same problem, but they're easier to remember because they affect players on their own turn, rather than waiting a whole round to take effect.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: May 30, 2019, 08:59:12 pm »
+1

Okay this is my submission (for now) (this card has been updated)

Seeing as my original idea was anti-treasures, I figured this one should be anti-villages.
Here are some notes:
1) I made this a night so it wouldn't (largely) affect the turn you play it.
2) It's action, not action card.
3) resetting your actions to 1 means that you now have 1 action regardless of how many you had before that.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 10:43:23 pm by naitchman »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: May 30, 2019, 09:05:42 pm »

Okay this is my submission (for now)

Seeing as my original idea was anti-treasures, I figured this one should be anti-villages.
Here are some notes:
1) I made this a night so it wouldn't (largely) affect the turn you play it.
2) It's action, not action card.
3) If you go to your cleanup and you're in the middle of playing a card, it stops and you don't get any of the other benefits (for instance, you don't get a spoils if you play bandit camp). I figure since the case is never dealt with in the real dominion, I can make my own rules for it.

I think the penalty on this is way too harsh. Especially as someone who likes their engines, I don't think I would ever buy a Grand Tour as it is currently.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 21 queries.