Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546754 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #1900 on: May 03, 2019, 12:52:45 pm »

I really like Gazbag's inverted tree idea. You could also have abilities depend on having reached a specific level, rather than having feats referred to by name.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 01:14:30 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: May 04, 2019, 04:20:05 am »
+1

Fame Cards

When one or more Fame cards are in the kingdom, each player gets their own Fame mat. Fame mats track a number of "Feats" you can achieve during the game, and Fame cards become better the more of those you achieved. Whenever you achive a Feat, e.g. gain a Gold, you cover up the Feat on the board with a coin token. However, to achieve a Feat, not onlym ust they fulfill the Feat's condition, but at the time they did so, the Feat must be either one from the bottom row, or reachable by an arrow coming from an already achieved Feat (sort of like a skill tree).

Still not entirely sure about that "draw your deck" Feat, suggestions are welcome.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that one of the Feats is board dependant but it does feel kind of off in some way with only one being like that. The only thing I could think of to replace it was something Magic Lampy, counting non-duplicate cards in play, not sure what exact numbers could be appropriate.

I'm not sure I like that you can achieve the other Feats before you pick up a Fame card. It seems kind of cheesy that you can achieve the other 5 Feats and then only bother to pick up the Fame card when it's already really strong, but maybe I'm underestimating how much you have to go out of your way to get those Feats. It would seem more natural to me to have the Fame board be inverted so there's only the "Gained a Fame" feat on the bottom row, but I'm sure you've thought much more about this than I have and there's a good reason behind it being the way that it is.

Pawn Shop seems like it might be broken to me? Once you get to 5 feats it lets you discard 3 cards to gain a Province and it seems to enable the Duchy and Gold gaining feats pretty well itself. Actually it also kind of enables the $2 feat too because you should be able to discard some things and be left with $2 without missing out on too much. I guess I just think that a card that can gain Provinces without having to combo with any other cards is not a good idea.
I have played a game with Headhunter, Adventure Seeker (german version: +1 buy) and Hall of Fame and it was brisk and very interesting. You have to buy Head Hunter early.
look
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 04:31:26 am by herw »

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: May 05, 2019, 05:06:46 am »
+1

Decrees
Decrees are similar to Landmarks, but they are only valid for one round. Before each regular turn of the first player, a new decree is revealed, which is valid until the next regular turn of that player. Extra turns from cards like Possession, Outpost, Mission and Fleet do not count as regular turns. In each game 10 decrees are randomly selected. The pile has the same shuffle rules like the player’s decks.

Here are some examples:

I know, the wording of Coronation should be just: „Each player gains a Copper. Put the Decree deck into its discard pile.“, but it comes from an earlier version, where this was the only card, which could reshuffle the Decree deck.

And here is a bonus card (not strictly better than Zombie Spy):
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 08:13:39 pm by King Leon »

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: May 07, 2019, 02:27:10 am »

24 hour warning before judging
removed by user

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: May 07, 2019, 06:42:37 pm »
+4

I might as well join in...

Morning Cards

Nocturne gave us the Night, a new phase with cards to be played after the Buy phase. Now, I introduce its logical opposite, the Morning phase. This phase takes place before the Action phase, but after any Duration effects take place. This means that you must have the Morning card in your hand at the start of your turn (or through a Duration draw effect) if you wish to play it. That will make playing these cards more difficult, so I tried to make the effects rather powerful as a result.

Much like Night cards, Morning cards require no Actions or other resources to play. Their main effect is to make certain effects throughout the rest of your turn more powerful. For the most part, these empowering effects will activate when you play the Morning card itself.

EDIT: In order to make them less swingy and less dead-when-drawn-during-turn, Morning cards now have a universal effect in which when you discard a Morning card from your hand during your Cleanup phase, you may reveal it and put it on top of your deck. I won't add this to the card text because then the cards would be too wordy. As long as it's a Morning card, you can do this.

Card Examples:

Mudlarks
Morning - $2
--
You may trash a card from your hand.
-
While this is in play, whenever you trash a card, +1 Card.

"Mudlark" is a slang term for garbage man, and as this was the best "old timey" artwork I could find for anything similar, I went with it. Anyway, the mudlarks take a little of your garbage, which they can use for their own benefit. If you have more garbage later, they'll swing by again.

Telescope
Morning - $3
--
Look at the top 4 cards of your deck. Put one back and discard the rest.
-
While this is in play, whenever you discard a card from your hand or your deck, you may put it on top of your deck.

(Oops, I should have said "Other than during Cleanup" for the in-play effect. Pretend it's there)
Your trusty Telescope can see what's coming in or going out and help you prepare for it accordingly. I worry it's too much like Cartographer for its price, but as it's only playable in the Morning and doesn't allow you to chain them as well as Carto (plus you're forced to keep at least one card), I kept it at $3.

Clock Tower
Morning - $4
--
+1 Action
-
While this is in play, whenever you have at least two Actions remaining after playing a card, draw up to five cards in hand.

(Oops again, this should say "before your Buy phase" so that it's not completely busted. Also, the draw-up-to-5 takes place after resolving the effects of the card.)
The bell in the Clock Tower rings early in the morning, waking up the eager townsfolk to get them to work. By itself, it's effectively a Village. The Kingdom will also need the right cards to keep your Actions high and hand-size low enough, but if that happens, the Clock Tower will become a vital engine component.

Fishmonger
Morning - $5
--
+1 Buy
+$1
-
While this is in play, whenever you play an Action card with +$ amounts in its text, +$1.

Similar to his kith the Herbalist, the gone-but-not-forgotten Woodcutter, etc., the Fishmonger gives his highness an extra Buy and some money through his wares. However, this fellow's fishy fare is known to energize the Kingdom's other money-makers. Peddler variants especially will use the fish to become stinking rich. *sniff sniff* Or maybe they're just stinking...

Mushroom Hunt
Morning - $6
--
Gain a Gold to your hand.
-
While this is in play, whenever you gain a Victory card, you may gain a Treasure costing less than it.

One experienced at the art of the Mushroom Hunt can easily find a delicacy worth its weight in Gold right away. Plus, the more land she is able to hunt on, the more tasty treasures she can accrue. Of course, she also knows when not to hunt, as to not pick up anything poisonous (like a Copper).

-

I may fix the wordings later, if I have time (in other words, nope).
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 07:16:32 pm by Tejayes »

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: May 07, 2019, 07:37:26 pm »
+1

Yikes! Morning cards are a really good idea. Can't comment on any potential balance issues, but these all feel like a good addition to the Dominion universe.

Great type name to counter the Night type as well.

FlyerBeast

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: FlyerBeast
  • Wide and Torturous
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: May 07, 2019, 07:48:42 pm »
+1

So...
Toll Cards

Ever wished games would just last that little bit longer? Think you could get the edge on your opponent if you had just one more turn? These cards are meant to give the ending of the game a bit more drama, if it needed it. They sit outside of the Supply until placed on top of supply piles (One type each for Treasures, Actions and Victory cards, each with a different way to place them there) and serve to make the cards people really want just out of reach, until someone buys one and get its negative effect.

The regrettably wordy "While in the Supply, if the card under this costs less than $x, this costs equal to it" bit at the end of their text means that if you cover the Estates with one, it'll cost $2 to get out of the way (into your deck) but if you cover the Provinces with one, it'll only cost $6 to clear. And yes, Salt The Earth and Lurker deal with some of these nuisances instantly, no problem.

Road
$5 Action
--
+3 Cards
Put a Toll Booth card on top of an Action supply pile that doesn't have one, and if you did, trash this.

Roads can lead you places, and in this case they're places that'll cost you. If you've managed to play enough of these to cover every Action supply pile, hey, you don't lose it.

Toll Booth
$5* Action-Toll
--
+1 Action
+ $1
-
When you gain this, look at the top 4 cards of your deck and discard all the Treasures other than Copper, putting the rest back in any order. While in the Supply, if the card under this costs less than $5, this costs equal to it.

A bit of a rubbish Action once you have it, but I didn't want it to do nothing, it's not a Curse...

Fortify
$5 Event
--
Put a Portcullis card on top of each Treasure supply pile that doesn't have one.
If you placed 3 or more cards, +3 Coffers.

I suppose this is also worth buying if you get really inconsistent amounts of coin each turn, to turn the excess one turn into Coffers for the next...

Portcullis
$5* Treasure-Toll
--
$2
-
When you buy this, trash a Treasure other than Copper you have in play and gain a cheaper Treasure. While in the Supply, if the card under this costs less than $5, this costs equal to it.

Bummer! A reverse Mine? And you have to inflict it on yourself!? If you want you can trash a Gold to get rid of another one at least.

Gatehouse
$6 Action-Treasure
--
Put a Wayside Inn card on top of every Victory supply pile that doesn't have one.
-
This is always gained onto your deck. This is worth 2 VP per Toll card in the Supply at the end of the game.

The gaining-onto-your-deck is just to ensure it could be worth the buying risk on your penultimate turn. It pays to buy these as late as possible, too, so no-one else can get rid of the rest of the Toll cards...

Wayside Inn
$6* Victory-Toll
--
1 VP
-
When you gain this, return an Action card you have in play to the Supply. While in the Supply, if the card under this costs less than $6, this costs equal to it.

The endgame's gonna get weird when you're sacrificing Action cards just to be able to end the game. Hope you built a deck that can withstand it! They return to the supply just in case that might, at a pinch, prevent a three-pile ending.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: May 07, 2019, 10:31:27 pm »
+2

Traitor cards are cards that your opponents can play from your hand during their turn. They would ideally have different backs similar to Stash. When an opponent plays one of your Traitors, the Traitor is set on the table and then put back in your hand during their Cleanup phase. You play the Traitors in your Action phase, and you may play any number of Traitors from any number of opponents' hands in a single phase. You may look at a Traitor from your opponents' hand and then choose not to play it.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:32:44 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: May 08, 2019, 03:33:09 am »

Morning Cards
I like the idea but the concept is fairly anti-engine-y and could be too swingy. Take e.g. Fishmonger, it is a nice payload card but in the situations in which it shines it could easily be dead more than half of the time.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: May 08, 2019, 06:38:32 am »
+1

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 06:41:16 am by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: May 08, 2019, 06:55:24 am »

My activities aren’t actions, so technically you could play more than one in a turn, however most of the time you’ll end up trashing them, or in chess s case giving the player to your left a bunch of victory tokens. I did it this way mostly for the theme. Also there will only be 5 to buy or gain. And 2 activities will be added to the supply in much the same way, events, landmarks ect. Would be. Since they are smaller and additional piles they will not count towards the empty piles to end the game. But make no mistake they are in the supply.

I had other activities so I’ll just post a separate thread for my activities if you guys like em. This contest is I’m sure almost over anyway. 3 of them should suffice to give you a feel for the idea I had for this contest.

All the activities will cost at least $6. And yes I know there’s a word missing in riddle (your) deck.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 07:08:39 am by ClouduHieh »

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: May 08, 2019, 09:09:43 am »
+1

Last minute entry: Depletion cards

Depletion cards can be depleted (putting one of your depletion tokens on its pile) for an additional benefit but then become weaker in some way. Some cards can replenish themselves after being depleted.

Sample cards:

Deposits should say "In games using this" in its below the line text, the idea is you choose between having access to the action or upgrading a Silver for free. I'm rushing this so apologies for the sloppiness.

Tejayes

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: May 08, 2019, 12:12:38 pm »

Morning Cards
I like the idea but the concept is fairly anti-engine-y and could be too swingy. Take e.g. Fishmonger, it is a nice payload card but in the situations in which it shines it could easily be dead more than half of the time.

Very much true, segura. I had hoped to offset the often-deadness of Morning cards by making the effects potentially very powerful. Perhaps I would need to power them up further, or have some sort of mechanic that would make it easier to get Morning cards on top of your deck.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: May 08, 2019, 12:39:07 pm »
+1

Depletion cards can be depleted (putting one of your depletion tokens on its pile) for an additional benefit but then become weaker in some way. Some cards can replenish themselves after being depleted.

The name is throwing me off, because it makes me think that it has something to do with trashing a card from the supply pile, or caring about if the pile is empty. Maybe something like "tagged"? Either way, I think you'd want "you" in the text in some way, because "if this isn't depleted" isn't clear if it means that you personally have a token on it, or if anyone does. So you could have "if you have tagged this", or "if you have depleted this" vs "if anyone has depleted this."
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: May 08, 2019, 03:43:26 pm »
+3

Morning Cards

Very much true, segura. I had hoped to offset the often-deadness of Morning cards by making the effects potentially very powerful. Perhaps I would need to power them up further, or have some sort of mechanic that would make it easier to get Morning cards on top of your deck.

I don't think powering them up more is the right answer.  Then they will be very swingy.  Either dead, or super powerful.  Your other idea sounds better to me.  Self-scheming could work, or making some of them durations would work, or even an on-buy topdecking effect.  Then they'd at least work once.

Tejayes

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: May 08, 2019, 07:18:15 pm »

Morning Cards

I don't think powering them up more is the right answer.  Then they will be very swingy.  Either dead, or super powerful.  Your other idea sounds better to me.  Self-scheming could work, or making some of them durations would work, or even an on-buy topdecking effect.  Then they'd at least work once.

I decided to add the self-scheming effect to all Morning cards, and made this change to my original post. All Morning cards have this effect, so no need to put it on the cards themselves (otherwise, they'd be far too wordy).

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: May 09, 2019, 11:52:52 am »

Sorry about the delay in judging, I will try to respond by this evening (14 hours from now).
removed by user

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: May 10, 2019, 06:34:12 pm »

How does Falconer work? Chess and Riddle are Treasure and Night but Falconer is just an Activity-Attack, when can you play it?

The name is throwing me off, because it makes me think that it has something to do with trashing a card from the supply pile, or caring about if the pile is empty. Maybe something like "tagged"? Either way, I think you'd want "you" in the text in some way, because "if this isn't depleted" isn't clear if it means that you personally have a token on it, or if anyone does. So you could have "if you have tagged this", or "if you have depleted this" vs "if anyone has depleted this."

I rushed these out because I thought judging was imminent so I didn't think about this kind of thing too much, so this kind of feedback is much appreciated. I personally don't feel like depleted is a "loaded" term in dominion and I think it's quite flavourful too, what do other people think? I decided to move all of the text into the rule book basically and just use the word depleted on the cards, but I didn't really write a rule book entry to go with them so hopefully it'd be better if there was one? I see it as kind of a "+1 Coffers" vs "Take a Coin token" thing, if I decide to do anything further with these I'll definitely try and improve the wording though.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: May 10, 2019, 07:19:17 pm »

Well on the card it says at the start of your turn. All my activities except certain ones like chess for instance can be played at the start of the turn. Before any action is played, sorta like how when you play dominion online and you multiple things you can do before you play your first action. Like call the rat catcher from the tavern mat, and then I’ll get my +2 cards from my enchantress, now I’ll pick a card from my archive, oh and now I’ll play falconer from my hand. Now my Action phase begins.

Meaning since it’s not an action it can only be played at the start of your turn, the start of your turn is in other effects in dominion, this is basically the same thing, the only difference is if it’s in your hand before action phase begins, which means certain existing cards will work well with my activity cards, I have other activity cards I just submitted only 3 for the contest, depending how there received here I’ll create a new thread for them.

Oh and of course if falconer was drawn into your hand after your first action, then of course you can’t play it, so despite it being a powerful attack, the amount of times you’ll be able to play it should keep it in line.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: May 10, 2019, 07:26:15 pm »

Hasn't he decided the winner yet? Maybe Ms. (or Mr.) wittyhowlard needs to prepare the next challenge after next Sunday... (I just can't wait posting.)

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1920 on: May 10, 2019, 07:37:30 pm »

Well on the card it says at the start of your turn. All my activities except certain ones like chess for instance can be played at the start of the turn. Before any action is played, sorta like how when you play dominion online and you multiple things you can do before you play your first action. Like call the rat catcher from the tavern mat, and then I’ll get my +2 cards from my enchantress, now I’ll pick a card from my archive, oh and now I’ll play falconer from my hand. Now my Action phase begins.

Meaning since it’s not an action it can only be played at the start of your turn, the start of your turn is in other effects in dominion, this is basically the same thing, the only difference is if it’s in your hand before action phase begins, which means certain existing cards will work well with my activity cards, I have other activity cards I just submitted only 3 for the contest, depending how there received here I’ll create a new thread for them.

Oh and of course if falconer was drawn into your hand after your first action, then of course you can’t play it, so despite it being a powerful attack, the amount of times you’ll be able to play it should keep it in line.

So if Activities are played at the start of your turn why can't Chess be played at the start of your turn? Nothing on the card says it can't.  If Falconer can only be played at the start of your turn because of the text on the card then is Activity just the setup part? This is all very very confusing to me.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: May 10, 2019, 08:40:50 pm »

True it doesn’t and it doesn’t need to the treasure and night one let you play them, at the beginning of the game or during one of those phases making it easier to play those cards, falconer doesn’t allow it to be played later, like the other 2. Chess is awesome because if you draw it during your action phase you’ll still be able to play chess at night, same with riddle, however if you decide to play it at the beginning of your turn you won’t get the treasure part of the effect and if you played it earlier and didn’t have enough for province then wouldn’t be able to play another activity without obviously a risk. So it’s recommended you play riddle as a treasure. (Besides a riddle is sopose to be a little confusing otherwise it wouldn’t be much of a riddle that’s why I did that on purpose) Riddles are really hard to solve, so if you manage solve it you get a huge reward. Also if you played cards like cartographer before riddle was played it would be a little easier to solve it which is another reason why it’s 5 out of 7. With a good action in play it will make riddle a little easier to pull off.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: May 10, 2019, 09:08:07 pm »

Chess is awesome because if you draw it during your action phase you’ll still be able to play chess at night, same with riddle, however if you decide to play it at the beginning of your turn you won’t get the treasure part of the effect and if you played it earlier and didn’t have enough for province then wouldn’t be able to play another activity without obviously a risk. So it’s recommended you play riddle as a treasure.

I don't quite understand this. If you play a Silver, you get +, no matter when you play it. You might be playing it during your action phase, because of Black Market or Storyteller. You might be playing it at the start of your turn, like an Activity card, thanks to Prince or Summon combined with Black Market. Either way, Silver always gives + when played. Similarly, Riddle would always give + when played, whether it were played during your buy phase or at the start of your turn.

I think you're missing some rules explanation to go along with your cards... from just your posts, it's not clear what the "Activity" type means. You have said that it means that it can be played at the start of your turn, but in both the case of Chess and Riddle, I don't see any reason why you would want to play it at the start of your turn rather than during the Night or Buy phases respectively. Making the type "Activity" doesn't seem to actually do anything there.

Take a look at the Morning Cards idea posted above. This adds cards that can be played at the start of your turn, similar to your Activity idea. You need to clarify whether Activity cards get played before or after "at the start of your turn" effects like Durations, similar to how the Morning cards posts specifies that.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: May 10, 2019, 09:33:52 pm »

It doesn’t say on the night cards this can only be played during your night phase does it, no just in a rule book, plus I’d dont think I’ve gotten extra treasure playing storyteller in dominion online before, I played silvers and didn’t get extra treasure just cards.

So if I go with activity for reals I’ll just make a rule book for em. This idea was mostly just for the contest. If it’s too confusing then ignore it, this is just for the contest.

Which seems to me if the judge is too busy to come to a decision, the one who started this thread should be allowed to judge, cause I just want to move on to the next contest. It’s not like I’m going to win anyways.

The activity cards weren’t originally meant to be played just at the beginning of the game, that wasn’t the point of them, the point was they would do something pretty cool or unique, but no one cares about that. I just wanted to come up with a new concept to dominion with some cool effects, that’s what this contest was sopose to be about, not wether when the card can be played, it’s a fan card it doesn’t have to be perfect.

At least give the judge a time limit: so we can move on. Unless you guys want to stay on this contest for another week.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: May 10, 2019, 10:49:19 pm »
+1

It doesn’t say on the night cards this can only be played during your night phase does it, no just in a rule book,

Right, I'm not saying that it needs to be on the cards. But you didn't provide any rules when you posted the cards; it was only in a later post that you mentioned the "play at the start of your turn" thing; and there were still some things not clear about how it works.

plus I’d dont think I’ve gotten extra treasure playing storyteller in dominion online before, I played silvers and didn’t get extra treasure just cards.

Storyteller makes you spend all of your , and then gives you cards for each spent. So when you play the Silver, you get +, which then turns into drawing 2 cards. The point is that the big on the Silver still works even if you aren't playing it in your buy phase.

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.