Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546214 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #1850 on: April 22, 2019, 05:42:31 am »
+1

Field
Action - $1

+1 Buy
Trash a non-Duration card you have in play costing $5 or more. Gain a card costing up to $1 per differently costed card you have in play.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:44:10 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Sheogorath

• Swindler
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: April 22, 2019, 01:15:17 pm »
+1

I like this a lot but with cost reduction you can empty the entire pile at no cost (even without cost reduction you could argue that 3 or 4 Cottages are better than 1 village in a thin enough deck). So perhaps the on-gain Buy option has to go.

Perhaps add a Messenger-esque clause?
When this is the first Cottage you gained this turn, choose one: ...

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: April 22, 2019, 03:28:30 pm »
+2

Lucky Penny ($1 Treasure-Reaction)
$1
-------
When you would gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand and either: discard it to instead gain a card costing $1 more; or trash it to instead gain a card costing $2 more.

The $1 cost also makes this particularly self-synergetic in the presence of Cursers.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 03:33:22 pm by Udzu »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: April 22, 2019, 03:37:08 pm »
+1

I for one thought they should of made more cards like poor house.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: April 22, 2019, 04:57:13 pm »

The Journey token always had effects with similar strength. I don't know whether using it the Journey token on a $1 cost card is a good idea. A delayed village, which activates Ranger or Giant and can trim your deck down, is rather strong. But trashing two cards is a pretty weak effect for flipping the Journey token. Amulet is overall more interesting.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:02:37 pm by King Leon »

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: April 22, 2019, 05:18:37 pm »
+2

This card tells an amazing story, it's genius.

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: April 22, 2019, 07:34:38 pm »
+1

Iron Fist
$1 - Reaction
When you buy a card, you may discard this from your hand.  If you do, if the bought card is an...
Action card, +1 Villager
Treasure card, +1 Coffers
Victory card, set aside the top card of your deck, putting it into your hand at the end of the turn

Clarification: If you use this to react to buying a Victory card when your draw deck and discard pile are empty, you discard this first, then when trying to set aside the top card of your deck, you shuffle your discard pile (which only contains Iron Fist barring other interactions) into a new deck, and set aside the top card of that new deck (i.e., the Iron Fist you just discarded).
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: April 23, 2019, 02:22:32 am »
+3

A Copper that turns into a Buy whenever you need it. The + Buy doesn't work on the turn you play it, though, so be wary of when you're using them.

Also, sad that the art I found isn't working.

Edit: The art works now!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 06:35:06 pm by mail-mi »
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: April 23, 2019, 04:56:26 am »
+7

Very simple idea, can be used as a cantrip but can also stock up villagers for later turns.

Edit: resized the image since it posted at full size
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 04:58:08 am by belugawhale »
removed by user

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: April 23, 2019, 01:14:12 pm »
+6

CHALLENGE #27 - I'D BUY THAT FOR $1 SUBMISSION:

NOTE: This is a 20 card Action Supply Pile.

[UPDATE_v0.2] Can no longer gain Investment cards (credit: Gazbag); gained card must cost exactly the amount of Investments trashed (credit: mail-mi).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 01:51:05 pm by Kudasai »

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #1860 on: April 23, 2019, 05:14:20 pm »
+1

I think this shouldn't be able to gain Investments because it makes it super easy to deplete the pile, even with 20 in the supply.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: April 23, 2019, 05:58:43 pm »
+1

I think this shouldn't be able to gain Investments because it makes it super easy to deplete the pile, even with 20 in the supply.

Maybe it could say, "If you have at least 2 Investments in play, you may trash...." That way it can't gain 1s or 0s.  Unless that ruins what you wanted...

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: April 23, 2019, 10:57:14 pm »
+3

Sort of a Rats-Bomb hybrid. This pile also has 20 cards.

FlyerBeast

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: FlyerBeast
  • Wide and Torturous
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: April 25, 2019, 06:28:26 am »
+1

Seneschal

Cost: $1
Type: Action
+ $1
You may trash an Estate from your hand for +1%.
-
Setup: Each player starts with one extra Estate
(Not from the Supply).

One of those cards that aims to mess up openings, and not in necessarily a pleasant way! You could open with a 1/5 split, but fortunately, there's a virtual Copper you can afford that'll take those Estates away at no disadvantage! It must have a bit of a weird interaction with Baron, probably mostly beneificially?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1864 on: April 25, 2019, 06:32:42 am »
+1

One of those cards that aims to mess up openings, and not in necessarily a pleasant way!

Particularly in a destructive way.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: April 25, 2019, 01:38:54 pm »
+1

Seneschal

Cost: $1
Type: Action
+ $1
You may trash an Estate from your hand for +1%.
-
Setup: Each player starts with one extra Estate
(Not from the Supply).

One of those cards that aims to mess up openings, and not in necessarily a pleasant way! You could open with a 1/5 split, but fortunately, there's a virtual Copper you can afford that'll take those Estates away at no disadvantage! It must have a bit of a weird interaction with Baron, probably mostly beneificially?

Finally, a use for 2 of the 10 extra Estates that the base game comes with!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: April 25, 2019, 04:01:28 pm »

Finally, a use for 2 of the 10 extra Estates that the base game comes with!

Although 2 player is much better, it is sometimes difficult in my house to get a 2-player game of anything going without someone else feeling excluded. On another note, does the base game still come with those randomizer cards for the base cards, or was that just a 1E thing? Those are definitely extra no matter how you play the game. Hmm, I wonder whether I should put the Province pile out this game, or just leave it in the box...
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: April 26, 2019, 06:44:52 pm »

I'm giving a 24-ish hour warning. I will announce results at 6pm forum default time on Saturday, April 27.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: April 27, 2019, 02:02:45 am »
+1

In addition to the above, I think it should say "exactly" instead of "up to." It would be more interesting strategy-wise.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: April 27, 2019, 07:21:04 am »

In addition to the above, I think it should say "exactly" instead of "up to." It would be more interesting strategy-wise.
I don't see how this would matter often. The only instance I can come up with in which you want to trash 6 Investments to gain a $5 (instead of trashing 5 to gain a $5 a bit earlier, right after having palyed the 5th Investment) is in a Kingdom with Tomb.

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: April 27, 2019, 01:49:26 pm »

Thank you everyone for the comments! Investment has never been playtested so it's nice to get feedback on it.

I threw in the self-gaining, pile-driving mechanic because (1) it fit well with the card's $1 cost theme and (2) it seemed like a good way to deny Investments to opponents who were mindlessly buying Investments. Neither are really great reasons for such a design choice and I'm sure a single playtest will confirm that this indeed does not work.

Agreed. I think this is could be a great solution to some of the cards current problems. To get the most out of Investments you'd need to be able to reliably draw your deck. This forces players to balance building their engine with actually getting Investments. The other Kingdom cards will greatly change how to go about that. A concern with exact gaining is it could make Investments to unwieldy outside of engine play and not even be worth the $1 cost and Buy. Should be fine though.

Thanks again for the feedback. I've updated the original post (v0.2), but here is the update as well:

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 01:51:48 pm by Kudasai »

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: April 27, 2019, 08:16:03 pm »
+3

CHALLENGE #27 - COMMENTARY & RESULTS

Forgive me for being a little later than announced. Like last time, if your card's name is bold, you were on my short list. Good luck!

Quote from: Aquila
Layman
Action - $1
-
+1 Card per card you have in play costing $2 or less.

Can we assume that this card is included when played? If so, then this works nicely as a $1. Fits the theme nicely; one layman is effectively useless, but a congregation of peers strengthens him. By itself, it’s just a Ruined Library; with one other cheapo in play, it’s just a Moat. If one can get a good amount of cheapos in play, however, Layman’s power could be very strong indeed (especially with Black Market, Storyteller, etc.). Of course, at that time, there may not be enough cards left in the deck to really make it worthwhile. I like the idea, though.

Quote from: majiponi
Curious Spectators
Action - $1
-
+1 Action per card you have in play (counting this).

A different take on Aquila’s idea. Actions vs. Cards, and counts all cards vs. just cheapos. At the start of the turn, this is either a Ruined Village or a Necropolis. The better your engine, though, the more this becomes an Action-churning machine. Theme-wise, the more going on, the more Spectators you get. Overall, I really like this; it feels like a $1 card that can be strong but never overpowering, but often a good addition to your deck if you have an extra Buy and extra $.

Quote from: NoMoreFun
Bargain
Action/Reaction - $1
-
Trash a card from your hand, and gain a card costing up to $1 more than it.
-
When you gain a card, you may return this to the Supply from your hand to exchange that card for a card costing up to $1 more than it. Put in onto your deck in your buy phase, and into you hand otherwise.

A cheap Remodel variant with a Reaction basically treating this as a one-shot Copper to gain a more expensive card, and to put it in your hand/on your deck right away. Good for Actions and Treasures, not so hot for Victory cards. Bargaining Coppers would most likely yield more Bargains, which could have its use. That said, this is a very wordy card. It does a lot, that’s true, but there must be a way to tersify this.

Quote from: King Leon
Nest-Egg
Action-Reserve-Reaction - $1
-
+1 Action
Put this on your Tavern mat.
-
At the start of your turn, you may call this for +$1.
-
When another player plays an Attack card, you may first play this from your hand.

A little bit of Candlestick Maker, a little bit of Caravan Guard. Saving a Nest-Egg can be a good defense from unruly Militias or greedy Goons. Mostly, though, it’ll just be used for spikes as segura said. It’s a fine $1 card.

Quote from: segura
Street
Action - $1
-
Reveal the top card of your deck and put it into your hand. If it’s an Action card, +1 Action.
Turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). If it’s face up, +1 Action.

Goes from Ruined Library to cantrip to Village depending on the card drawn and whether this is a even-timed play of Street. Theme-wise, a Street is only partly a village; with plenty of denizens in tow and on more active days, a Street can be busy enough to count as a Village on its own. Not the biggest fan of a wimpy effect requiring the Journey token. Nice idea, though.

Quote from: Asper
Alley
Action - $1
-
+3 Cards
Return this to the Supply.

I have absolutely no qualms with submitting cards posted elsewhere. I prefer making something new to exercise your creativity, but I digress. Anyway, the Alley is a one-shot Smithy. Get your seedy work done, then get out of there. On decent engine boards, this would be a good buy with an extra $1. An oldie, but a goodie.

Quote from: Gubump
Pendant
Treasure - $1
-
$2
When you play this, put it and a card from your hand into the discard pile of the player to your left.

I reworded this to make it more grammatically correct. I hope you don’t mind. Anyway, a one-shot Silver with an Ambassador effect. Without a good card to grief your opponent, you’re basically giving them a nice card (or even two). It’s an unblockable attack, but then the opponent gets it. I see a lot of back and forth with this that honestly makes me wonder whether it’s worth it. Do Pendants really get passed around that much, anyway?

Quote from: wittyhowlard
Scraps of Cloth
Treasure - $1
-
$0
+1 Buy
-
When you discard this from play, you may put this on top of your deck.

An interesting way to take a useless pile of rags and turn it into a reusable shopping bag capable of holding more buys. Finding the right time to buy Scraps of Cloth will be a challenge; if you already have an extra buy to use, do you really need these Scraps? You will also need a decent engine to make up for consistent having only 4 non-Scraps in hand, but hopefully the Scraps can help you get those pieces. This has potential, and I like the creativity.

Quote from: Gazbag
Weather Vane
Night - $1
-
Return this to the Supply. Reveal the top card of your deck. If it’s an…
Action card, gain a Treasure.
Treasure card, gain a Night.
Night card, gain an Action.

Yeah, there needs to be a better name for this. Secret Deal, perhaps? Anyway, it’s useless with Victory cards, and early on will mostly only gain you more copies of this, usually. Once you can reveal Actions and Nights, this can become very strong, even for a one-shot. It’ll take some finesse to make it work in your favor all the time, though, so I think it works.

Quote from: silvern
Cottage
Action - $1
-
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may play another Cottage from your hand.
-
When you gain this, choose one: +1 Card; or +1 Action; or +1 Buy; or +$1.

Two Cottages in hand basically becomes a Village, while more will crank up the Actions. +1 Buy on gain can be rather nutty, as you can buy a lot of Cottages in one turn. I think this may be a little overpowered at $1. I’d take out the “play another Cottage” effect because the on-gain effect by itself makes this interesting.

Quote from: faust
Field
Action - $1
-
+1 Buy
Trash a non-Duration card you have in play costing $5 or more. Gain a card costing up to $1 per differently costed card you have in play.

Sowing a bunch of inexpensive cards will prove fruitful, but grains that grow too tall will be harvested first. An interesting drawback to this card, though a good engine board will make this reliable for gaining Provinces, perhaps. It’s very interesting, for sure.

Quote from: Udzu
Lucky Penny
Treasure/Reaction - $1
-
$1
-
When you would gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand and either discard it to instead gain a card costing $1 more, or trash it to instead gain a card costing $2 more.

Either this is a Copper you can basically play when you gain a card outside of your Buy phase, or it’s a one-shot Silver for any gain. As you said, it can be a decent Curser/Junker counter. I’m not a fan of the name being so close to Lucky Coin, but otherwise, I like this.

Quote from: ClouduHieh
Outhouse
Action/Duration - $1
-
Flip your Journey token (it starts face up). If it’s face up, trash up to 2 cards from your hand.
At the start of your next turn, +1 Action, +$1

Similar to Fishing Village, but with a weak trashing effect instead. While it fits the theming well, that’s kind of weak for a Journey token effect, even if the card is a $1 wonder. Much like the Silver contest, the theming is great, but the mechanics need tweaking.

Quote from: Erick648
Iron Fist
Reaction - $1
-
When you buy a card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, if the bought card is an…
Action card, +1 Villager
Treasure card, +1 Coffers
Victory card, set aside the top card of your deck, putting it into your hand at the end of the turn.

A pure Reaction for $1 seems fitting. It basically adds a relevant bonus effect when you buy a card, which isn’t terrible. The theme, though… I don’t get it. How is absolute rule related to this effect?

Quote from: mail-mi
Loose Change
Treasure/Reserve - $1
-
$1
Put this on your Tavern mat.
-
At the start of your Buy phase, you may call this, for +1 Buy.

It’s Coin of the Realm, but it gives you a Buy instead of two Actions. Again, the theming isn’t exactly fitting, but Coin of the Realm isn’t any better, so whatever. A fine entry.

Quote from: belugawhale
Actor
Action - $1
-
+1 Card
+1 Villager

Sometimes, it’s the simplest cards that can prove to be the most creative and beautiful. If you need the action right away, then yes, it’s just a cantrip. If not, though, you can save that Action for later. The theme works as it alludes to Acting Troupe. The art you chose is bizarre, to say the least, but other than that, this is a wonderful $1 card.

Quote from: Kudasai
Investment
Action - $1
-
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash all Investments you have in play (including this) to gain a non-Investment card costing exactly $1 per Investment you trashed.

Sort of like a variant of Coffers, really. With a spare buy and $ to spend, pick up an Investment, build them up, then trade them off for a good card. Getting this really only makes sense in that situation, though (apart from Upgrade/Remake and the like). Theming works great, of course. On boards without decent sources of +Buy or trash-for-gains, this would probably be ignored. I can see its use, though.

Quote from: Commodore Chuckles
Yeast
Action - $1
-
+1 Action
Choose one: gain a Yeast; or trash this and a card from your hand.

Sure, a non-terminal trasher can be useful, but I wonder if this is swift enough to be worthwhile, especially if you use Yeast to gain more Yeast. How much should you let your bread rise before you bake it? It’s a good theme, just not the most exciting mechanic.

Quote from: FlyerBeast
Seneschal
Action - $1
-
+$1
You may trash an Estate from your hand for +1VP.
-
Setup: Each player starts with one extra Estate (not from the Supply).

The effect itself seems doable by itself for a $1 card – not too powerful by itself, but can be an option for boards without better trashers. The Setup rule, however, I just do not care for. For multiplayer games IRL, getting those extra Estates could be an issue (resolvable by packing six Estates in with Seneschal). As well, it’s possible to get a rather lame 2-4 opener while your opponent gets 3-4 or even 2-5. Themewise, it seems like something a Seneschal would do as the steward of the house. Still, I’d dump the Setup rule.

My top two were clear pretty much from the get-go: Scraps of Cloth by wittyhowlard and Actor by belugawhale. In the end, though, one card really fulfilled the theme of "I'd Buy That for $1." And that card is...

WINNER: ACTOR by belugawhale!
RUNNER-UP: Scraps of Cloth by wittyhowlard.

Congratulations on winning with your very first entry in these weekly contests, belugawhale! As I said, sometimes it's the simplest cards that make the biggest impact. I cannot wait to see your challenge. And thanks to everyone who participated!

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: April 29, 2019, 01:51:49 am »
+2

Thanks for the warm welcome, Tejayes!

Contest #28 - Design a new card type (e.g. Gathering, Shelter, Night, Knights, etc.)

Hope this one's not too open-ended.

removed by user

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: April 29, 2019, 03:08:14 am »

Presumably people should also design some example cards/piles with that type? If so, is there a limit (upper or lower) on how many to include?

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #28: new type
« Reply #1874 on: April 29, 2019, 04:20:42 am »
+1

Well, if again you don't mind a submission of an idea I've posted on the forum already...

The Kin type

There are some example Kin cards below. Select one for a game and you put these two markers under different non-Victory, non-Kin piles. The cards in them also get the Kin type. The 'original Kins', the ones below, then refer to all the Kins in the game (themselves and the marked ones) to achieve different interactions and effects in every game.

Banner likes the marked Kins to be very collectible.
Mead Hall is affected entirely by the other Kins; it gets 2 of them from the Supply and plays them together, as a one-shot. (Edit: this should also exclude non-Victory Kins so you can't play Banners.)
Pillar lets one of the Kin piles empty out without contributing to game end, and uses the borrowed time to get VP.
Piper helps get an engine of Kins going; alternate Kin plays with Pipers to chain them together with one Action.
Secret Keeper discourages players from getting the Kins, adding a 1VP disadvantage to them. But if you do collect them, the Keeper can unlock their secret and become a power card.

I'd recommend using up to 2 'original Kins' so there isn't too much to take in. Everything's in turquoise to be easy to see.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 03:01:43 am by Aquila »
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.