Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546385 times)

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #1800 on: April 14, 2019, 10:08:53 am »

War Flag
Types: Treasure, Attack
Cost: $6
$3. When you play this, trash this or discard a Treasure and each other player discards a card for each coin in its cost, and then draws until they have 3 cards in hand.
In games using this, when you buy a card costing $5 or more, trash a card you have in play.
If I'm not mistaken, if you chose the option to trash War Flag, you don't attack your opponents, right? It says either trash this, or discard a treasure and attack.
That is not correct.
Use it as a one-shot Gold with an amazing Attack
It would be written as a "choose one" if you were choosing between: trash the War Flag; or discard a Treasure for the Attack.

EDIT
To clarify, I agree with Asper that due to limitations of space on the card, the wording may not be absolutely clear that discarding or trashing both invoke the Attack; if, however, the Attack was contingent on one of the two choices, then a "choose one" wording would be obviously preferred.
I've made an edit to attempt to improve the issue, but there isn't a lot of space to play with.
War Flag
Types: Treasure, Attack
Cost: $6
$3. When you play this, either trash this or discard a Treasure, then each other player discards a card for each coin in its cost, and then draws until they have 3 cards in hand.
In games using this, when you buy a card costing $5 or more, trash a card you have in play.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 08:57:20 pm by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: April 14, 2019, 12:08:58 pm »
+1

It would be written as a "choose one" if you were choosing between: trash the War Flag; or discard a Treasure for the Attack.
Arguable. Not only do you give two choices which card to use, you also do something else with each, which sets them apart further. Given this, using a grammar structure that by default points to the last noun is all but clear.

wittyhowlard

• Swindler
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: April 14, 2019, 12:15:08 pm »
+1

Instigators is a powerful attack, but like in any instigation-situation you need not one, not two, but three to really make a statement! That's why the card is priced at $2; while a +1 card, +1 action card is usually priced at $0, the +1 buy allows multiple copies of Instigators to be picked up and adds to the utility of the card once they're all gone from the supply. 

Instigators
Action - $2
+1 card
+1 action
+1 buy
If there are two or more copies of Instigators in play (not counting this one), trash this and each other player gains a curse and a copper.

Absent any shenanigans from Ball or Summon, you're unlikely to trigger the attack until turn 5/6, which is different from a Mountebank. Also, the fact that you have to trash a copy for the attack means that it's not underpriced IMO.

I hope this counts as a one-shot, on-play trash ability. Happy to submit another idea otherwise :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 12:24:07 pm by wittyhowlard »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: April 14, 2019, 04:37:28 pm »
+2

while a +1 card, +1 action card is usually priced at $0
There is no cantrip which costs less than $2.

the +1 buy allows multiple copies of Instigators to be picked up and adds to the utility of the card once they're all gone from the supply.
I think that Market Square without the Reaction would be too good at $2.
You probably cannot fix this via making your card more expensive though as it would probably be too weak at $3; the ability seems less useful and more situational than that of Market Square. But I might overestimate the matching problem and underestimate the Mountebank-style attack.

wittyhowlard

• Swindler
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: April 14, 2019, 07:55:48 pm »
+1

Yes there is no cantrip card costing less than $2. I based my assessment on Rinkwork's guide on fan cards here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=699.0
  • +1 Card
As implied earlier, the value of +1 Card can only be assessed if you know if the card is terminal or non-terminal. With at least +1 Action, each additional +Card is ridiculously powerful. +1 Card, +1 Action is probably balanced at $0,

the +1 buy allows multiple copies of Instigators to be picked up and adds to the utility of the card once they're all gone from the supply.
You probably cannot fix this via making your card more expensive though as it would probably be too weak at $3; the ability seems less useful and more situational than that of Market Square. But I might overestimate the matching problem and underestimate the Mountebank-style attack.

I would put Market Square without the reaction as equivalent to Hamlet at $2. Yes, for Hamlet you need to discard a card to get the + Buy, but you can also discard a card to get the + Action, which can be valuable and something Market Square cannot do. 

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: April 16, 2019, 01:23:37 pm »
+1

I'd like to change my submission, Antique has issues as it is. No time to make a picture.

Graduate - Action, $3 cost.
+1 Card
+1 Action
+ $1

The next time you gain a non-Victory card this turn, trash this to gain a copy of it.
Becomes a copy of the next card you gain, giving a little to making that gain better. Or if you get it while purely greening it stays a peddler. If this doesn't qualify...my bad.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: April 16, 2019, 01:45:02 pm »

Yes there is no cantrip card costing less than $2. I based my assessment on Rinkwork's guide on fan cards here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=699.0
  • +1 Card
As implied earlier, the value of +1 Card can only be assessed if you know if the card is terminal or non-terminal. With at least +1 Action, each additional +Card is ridiculously powerful. +1 Card, +1 Action is probably balanced at $0,

I would put Market Square without the reaction as equivalent to Hamlet at $2. Yes, for Hamlet you need to discard a card to get the + Buy, but you can also discard a card to get the + Action, which can be valuable and something Market Square cannot do.

Non-reaction Market Square at $2 might be okay power level wise but it has the other issue that its pile is way too easy to empty. It would probably be okay as the top of a split pile or something put a pile of 10 is so easy to empty. Also people buy non-reaction Market square for $3 all the time anyway when there's no trashing on the board, it's still low opportunity cost +Buy.

I'm pretty sure instigators has this issue too though, especially given that it specifically wants you to gain multiple copies of it and it drains the Curse pile too so you're getting really close to 2 piles already there. Unlike Market Square it doesn't need any outside assistance from other cards to get its extra effect so I'm pretty sure $3 would be the appropriate cost, although if I were the judge I wouldn't really mark it down for the cost if I liked the idea of it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: April 16, 2019, 04:26:23 pm »

Instigators is a powerful attack, but like in any instigation-situation you need not one, not two, but three to really make a statement! That's why the card is priced at $2; while a +1 card, +1 action card is usually priced at $0, the +1 buy allows multiple copies of Instigators to be picked up and adds to the utility of the card once they're all gone from the supply. 

Instigators
Action - $2
+1 card
+1 action
+1 buy
If there are two or more copies of Instigators in play (not counting this one), trash this and each other player gains a curse and a copper.

Absent any shenanigans from Ball or Summon, you're unlikely to trigger the attack until turn 5/6, which is different from a Mountebank. Also, the fact that you have to trash a copy for the attack means that it's not underpriced IMO.

I hope this counts as a one-shot, on-play trash ability. Happy to submit another idea otherwise :)

Recommend changing the wording to "three or more (counting this)". It is already in play when you are following the instructions, so it's awkward having a parenthetical to tell you to not count the way you normally would/should.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: April 16, 2019, 04:32:02 pm »
+2

I'd like to change my submission, Antique has issues as it is. No time to make a picture.

+1 Card
+1 Action
+ $1

The next time you gain a non-Victory card this turn, trash this to gain a copy of it.
Becomes a copy of the next card you gain, giving a little to making that gain better. Or if you get it while purely greening it stays a peddler. If this doesn't qualify...my bad.

This seems stronger than Peddler, not weaker. Unless is has a restriction on what actions it can gain.

It might be balanced at with the trashing+gaining optional, which should still qualify for the contest.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: April 16, 2019, 05:01:13 pm »
+2

+1 Card
+1 Action
+ $1

I think, you really underestimate the strength of this card. This effect is usually much more powerful than Feast and Duplicate.

The biggest problem is that you can gain $5 cards and its Peddler effect even helps you to reach $5 AND to chain multiple copies of Graduate, as their trash effect is processed at the next gain. It has also the potential to Salt the Earth its own pile very quickly, whenever you have only $3 or $4. I really doubt that this card would work.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 05:04:28 pm by King Leon »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: April 16, 2019, 06:05:17 pm »

I don't want to argue with the points made that this card is better than Peddler, it definitely is.
Let's just also keep in mind the downsides: this hurts when there are cards of which you want just one copy. One way to nerf the card would be to always trash it, i.e. also in turns when you don't gain anything or only green. In this case it might be balanced at $4 or $5 (could also be "in-between" though). Without the nerf this looks better than Artificer (yeah, it is a one-shot but Artificer is still the best comparison and has to do a lot of work to gain $5s).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 06:06:55 pm by segura »

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: April 16, 2019, 11:53:57 pm »
+4

Might as well go for something nutty...

Jubilee
Action - 8D
-
Trash this. Gain a Gold, a Duchy, an Action costing up to $4, and a Curse onto your deck.

Planning an awesome Jubilee takes some time, and you'll most likely go into Debt because of it. However, it will certainly be a wonderful, colorful time, and you'll certainly attract some big money, a positive reputation, and maybe even some new citizens to add to your workforce. And most likely a giant hangover that you'll be cursing the next day.

Yeah, I have absolutely no idea how much this should cost, as I haven't had a chance to playtest it. On the one hand, you are gaining a Gold and an Action that you'll be able to use really soon. And you are also gaining a Duchy. However, that Duchy is going on top of your deck as well, along with a nasty Curse. I just put it at 8D for now and will see what everyone else thinks.

Oh, and I just realized: the order in which the cards go onto your deck are the same order in which they are gained, so the Gold goes on first, then the Duchy, then the Action, then the Curse on very top. I should probably reword this to make the order clear (along with the fact that all four cards are gained onto deck).

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: April 17, 2019, 03:11:12 am »

+1 Card
+1 Action
+ $1

I think, you really underestimate the strength of this card. This effect is usually much more powerful than Feast and Duplicate.

The biggest problem is that you can gain $5 cards and its Peddler effect even helps you to reach $5 AND to chain multiple copies of Graduate, as their trash effect is processed at the next gain. It has also the potential to Salt the Earth its own pile very quickly, whenever you have only $3 or $4. I really doubt that this card would work.

Thanks to all the feedback, here's a quick attempt at a fix:
Graduate - Action, $4 cost.
+1 Card
+1 Action

The next time you gain a non-Victory card this turn, trash this to gain a copy of it. At Clean-up, if you didn't gain such a card during the turn, +1 Coffers.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: April 17, 2019, 02:10:32 pm »

Thanks to all the feedback, here's a quick attempt at a fix:
Graduate - Action, $4 cost.
+1 Card
+1 Action

The next time you gain a non-Victory card this turn, trash this to gain a copy of it. At Clean-up, if you didn't gain such a card during the turn, +1 Coffers.

Now it is a situational Feast/Baker. Not totally broken and $4 seems to be totally fair compared with Ironworks. I wonder, how Graduate/Silver against Feast/Silver plays. While the Feast player is guaranteed to be able to get a $5 card, the Graduate player has a tiny probability to miss $5, but has also much better deck cycling.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: April 18, 2019, 12:04:45 am »

Judging will happen in about 24 hours. 

FlyerBeast

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: FlyerBeast
  • Wide and Torturous
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: April 18, 2019, 04:33:03 am »
+2

Boggart
Cost: $3
Types: Action-Duration
+ $1
At the start of your next turn, choose:  + $4, or trash this.
-
-3%

I'm not sure if this entirely counts for the contest, being an optional one-shot (or two-shot, I suppose) but I'm quite happy with this. You can get a load of money, but of course it's a powerful Curse. If you sacrifice the money you can get rid of it though... but you could buy a Province with only two of these! But two Boggarts would cancel out half the value of it! etc.
And yes, if you Throne Room it you can get both the benefit and trash it... and if you King's Court it you can instantly afford a Province and then trash it... but I hope it's balanced because you can only do that once because it is a one-shot.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: April 18, 2019, 07:10:08 am »
+2

Carve - $4

Trash this or a card from your hand. Gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it.

--

When you trash this, +1 Action.

----------

"It's better than Feast!" - not quite, shut up. "It's worse than Remake!" - not quite either, and don't we want most cards in between those two?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 07:19:49 am by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: April 18, 2019, 08:01:40 am »

Boggart
Cost: $3
Types: Action-Duration
+ $1
At the start of your next turn, choose:  + $4, or trash this.
-
-3%
There is some risk of missing the game end but until then this is stronger than Merchant Ship. So I would consider a price of $4.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: April 18, 2019, 08:57:01 am »

Carve - $4

Trash this or a card from your hand. Gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it.

--

----------

"It's better than Feast!" - not quite, shut up. "It's worse than Remake!" - not quite either, and don't we want most cards in between those two?
Would be clearer if it said "than the trashed card" as currently it is not quite clear what "it" refers to. It's also unclear what happens if you throne this, trash it the first time and on the second play choose to trash it again.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: April 18, 2019, 10:04:55 am »

Carve - $4

--

----------

Would be clearer if it said "than the trashed card" as currently it is not quite clear what "it" refers to. It's also unclear what happens if you throne this, trash it the first time and on the second play choose to trash it again.

You can't choose to trash this a second time if you throne it, similar to how it works with Raze.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: April 18, 2019, 10:29:25 am »
+1

Carve - $4

--

----------

You can't choose to trash this a second time if you throne it, similar to how it works with Raze.

Sure you can. You then look through 0 cards, choose one to put in your hand, and fail to do that.

In the case of Carve, you would trash nothing and then gain nothing.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 10:31:15 am by singletee »

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: April 18, 2019, 10:59:06 am »

Carve - $4

--

----------

Sure you can. You then look through 0 cards, choose one to put in your hand, and fail to do that.

In the case of Carve, you would trash nothing and then gain nothing.

I've definitely lost games in my dominion career because I didn't think that's how that worked.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: April 18, 2019, 11:04:58 am »

Carve - $4

--

----------

While this clearly does stuff that Remake can't do, it's hard to see how this isn't strictly better than Feast. The only thing you can do with Feast that you can't do with this is to trash it to gain a card costing less than , and it's a super-rare edge case that you would do that.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: April 18, 2019, 12:46:21 pm »

Carve - $4

--

----------

While this clearly does stuff that Remake can't do, it's hard to see how this isn't strictly better than Feast. The only thing you can do with Feast that you can't do with this is to trash it to gain a card costing less than , and it's a super-rare edge case that you would do that.

How about if it didn't allow gaining Victory cards?

Btw I'm out for this round, I couldn't think of something clever. Kudos to everyone who could.

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: April 18, 2019, 02:22:36 pm »
+2

Carve - $4

--

----------

How about if it didn't allow gaining Victory cards?

Btw I'm out for this round, I couldn't think of something clever. Kudos to everyone who could.

Does it matter if a card is strictly better than one of the removed cards if it's a fun and balanced card in its own right? I guess it's up to the judge?
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.