Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547533 times)

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #1775 on: April 11, 2019, 01:01:02 pm »

Here's a card from my set Dominion: Greed that I hadn't gotten around to posting.

War Flag
Types: Treasure, Attack
Cost: $6
$3. When you play this, trash this or discard a Treasure and each other player discards a card for each coin in its cost, and then draws until they have 3 cards in hand.
In games using this, when you buy a card costing $5 or more, trash a card you have in play.
*The number of cards that players discard are equal to the cost of the Treasure you discard or the War Flag if you trash it. Yes, that means that players discard 6 cards when you trash War Flag with no boundary (and then draw until they have 3 cards in hand).
Discard a Silver to make it a Copper-Legionary.
Discard a Gold or War Flag for an amazing Minion-style Attack, even though it effectively doesn't generate $.
Discard a Copper when it misses to keep it around. (Inter-set combo with Architect that gives Copper a cost of $1.)
Use it as a one-shot Gold with an amazing Attack--but do think about the cards you trash when you buy it because of that In-Games-Using-This effect. Using it as a one-shot sort of turns it into a sort of on-buy tempo-trasher, really...

That milling Attack is stupidly powerful, which is why its In-Games-Using-This effect aids in improving your deck early (so early War Flags aren't as devastating), but the fact that the on-buy trashing is mandatory creates many interesting considerations as you proceed: Fast trashing will inevitably have you cannibalize yourself too fast, since you're losing a card for every $5+ buy; you still need to figure something to do about your Estates, so some tempo-trashers might be worth buying to rid yourself of that pesky starting green; the free tempo-trashing provided by every $5 card makes power situational cards better since it is so easy to justify throwing them out later; and greening breaks you down faster since you start throwing away your cheaper economy bits as you buy Provinces.

This feels a lot like Death Cart, which is to say that this isn't exactly a one-shot ability.  You can (and probably want to) avoid trashing this by discarding treasures when you play it. You can still access the same ability without losing the card.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: April 11, 2019, 02:11:24 pm »
+1

A sequence of one-shot cards: effectively Traveller for Treasures, but in reverse order.

Diamond (Treasure-Jewel) [$7]
$4
---
When you discard this from play, exchange it for a Ruby.

Ruby (Treasure-Jewel) [$5*]
$3
---
When you discard this from play, exchange it for a Pearl.
(This is not in the Supply)

Pearl (Treasure-Jewel) [$2*]
$2
---
When you discard this from play, exchange it for an Emerald.

Emerald (Treasure-Jewel) [$0*]
$1
+1 Buy
---
When you discard this from play, exchange it for a card costing up to $2.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: April 11, 2019, 06:28:44 pm »
+1

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: April 11, 2019, 09:15:43 pm »
+1

Stock Shortage
cost $2 - Action
+$2
---
When you discard this from play, trash this and add <2> to a Supply pile. (When a player buys a card, they take the <> from its pile.)

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: April 12, 2019, 02:54:54 am »

A sequence of one-shot cards: effectively Traveller for Treasures, but in reverse order.

$4
---

$3
---

$2
---

$1
+1 Buy
---

Herbalist and Mandarin like these cards.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: April 12, 2019, 05:04:55 am »
+3

Decided to try the "one-shot" vein a little bit differently. It's a piece of junk that can provide some nice benefit on-buy and can trash itself.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: April 12, 2019, 05:40:06 am »
+1

Decided to try the "one-shot" vein a little bit differently. It's a piece of junk that can provide some nice benefit on-buy and can trash itself.
It seems a bit pointless for a card with Debt cost to provide +1 buy on-buy. You're only going to use that if you can pay off the debt. And the +buy is the main reason to have it on-buy and not on play, right?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: April 12, 2019, 05:58:52 am »

It seems a bit pointless for a card with Debt cost to provide +1 buy on-buy. You're only going to use that if you can pay off the debt. And the +buy is the main reason to have it on-buy and not on play, right?

There's 2 scenarios where you buy this card: you have 4 surplus money and you want to turn it into coffers and villagers; or you have a dud turn and you just want some coffers and villagers while taking some debt. So, in a way, although debt and +buy seem to cancel out, they buff the card in both of its usages. Also debt means you can't just use it for TfB.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: April 12, 2019, 11:19:00 am »

There's 2 scenarios where you buy this card: you have 4 surplus money and you want to turn it into coffers and villagers; or you have a dud turn and you just want some coffers and villagers while taking some debt. So, in a way, although debt and +buy seem to cancel out, they buff the card in both of its usages. Also debt means you can't just use it for TfB.

Exactly what MiX said.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: April 12, 2019, 01:15:33 pm »
+3

This might be a little over the top but the idea is there.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: April 12, 2019, 10:01:09 pm »

War Flag
$3. When you play this, trash this or discard a Treasure and each other player discards a card for each coin in its cost, and then draws until they have 3 cards in hand.
In games using this, when you buy a card costing $5 or more, trash a card you have in play.
This feels a lot like Death Cart, which is to say that this isn't exactly a one-shot ability.  You can (and probably want to) avoid trashing this by discarding treasures when you play it. You can still access the same ability without losing the card.
Examples include Mining Village...
If Mining Village, a Village that you can trash for economy, would count for the contest, how does War Flag, a variable Attack that you can trash for economy, not count for the contest?
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: April 12, 2019, 10:26:07 pm »

$4
---

$3
---

$2
---

$1
+1 Buy
---
Considering that these are Treasures, I think you would be safe to just exchange them on play.

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: April 12, 2019, 11:24:25 pm »
+1

War Flag
If Mining Village, a Village that you can trash for economy, would count for the contest, how does War Flag, a variable Attack that you can trash for economy, not count for the contest?
Because Trashing this isn't exclusively what gives you the benefit.  Ideally, you'll be discarding treasure for the benefit.  When I say a one shot, I mean you can blow it up to get something that you otherwise can't get.  You have one shot at that benefit.  This card gives you several opportunities to have the same benefit over and over, rather than giving you one shot at it. Does that make sense? As I thought of this challenge I was worried it would be hard to explain. 

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: April 13, 2019, 02:36:26 am »

$4
---

$3
---

$2
---

$1
+1 Buy
---
Considering that these are Treasures, I think you would be safe to just exchange them on play.

This changes the interaction behavior with Bank, Mint, Mandarin, Herbalist, Monastery and other cards.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: April 13, 2019, 05:48:14 am »
+1

Fireworks
Action - $3
Trash this
---
When you trash this, +2 Cards,  and trash 2 cards from your hand. Gain a card costing exactly the sum of those trashed cards' costs in coins.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 05:52:35 am by NoMoreFun »

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: April 13, 2019, 06:32:37 am »

War Flag
Because Trashing this isn't exclusively what gives you the benefit.  Ideally, you'll be discarding treasure for the benefit.  When I say a one shot, I mean you can blow it up to get something that you otherwise can't get.  You have one shot at that benefit.  This card gives you several opportunities to have the same benefit over and over, rather than giving you one shot at it. Does that make sense? As I thought of this challenge I was worried it would be hard to explain.
There is no way to get $3 from War Flag without trashing it (because discarding Treasures effectively reduces the $ it produces), in much the same way that there is no way to get the +$2 from Mining Village without trashing it.
The repeatable benefit of War Flag is an Attack that effectively costs $ to run. The one-shot is getting the $ and the Attack without paying for it otherwise.

I think you are undervaluing the ability to trash War Flag early to hamper other players' turns before you can build a consistent Gold-discarding deck. Even trashing a War Flag that you want to keep (when it misses a good Treasure) and rebuying War Flag is not a moot point because of its in-games-using-this effect. Because buying Victory card dismantles your deck, leveraging the War Flags you previously used for consistent Attacking for inconsistent economy is not to be ignored.

Would the following count?
Drunkard
Types: Action
Cost: $2
+2 Cards. You may trash this. If you do, +2 Cards.
It's a repeatable draw benefit that can be a bigger draw benefit once.
That's the same thing, conceptually.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 08:48:09 am by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: April 13, 2019, 09:17:20 am »
+1

War Flag

As worded, it's unclear that the attack is supposed to be triggered by trashing War Flag. A wording that would make it clear would have to be something like this:

When you play this, trash this or discard a Treasure, then each other player discards a card for each coin in trashed or discarded card's cost and draws to 3 cards in hand.

Personally I see it fitting the brief, but, eh, if a judge thinks that it doesn't fit the guidelines, chances are you are better off submitting something else than arguing about it.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: April 13, 2019, 02:49:11 pm »

The "Return this to the Moneychanger pile." instead of "Return this to its pile." is intentional, in the case, this starts in the Black Market deck. It loses track, when there is no Moneychanger pile. A cheap $2 Peddler for you. An empty Moneychanger pile is in fact a Moneychanger pile with zero cards, however.
This is unnecessary; see Encampment.

I don't really think this needs to have 20 copies. It does return to the supply after all.

Thank you. I changed the first, but made it 12 copies, because you can gain two in a turn, similar to Port.

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: April 13, 2019, 02:51:53 pm »

The "Return this to the Moneychanger pile." instead of "Return this to its pile." is intentional, in the case, this starts in the Black Market deck. It loses track, when there is no Moneychanger pile. A cheap $2 Peddler for you. An empty Moneychanger pile is in fact a Moneychanger pile with zero cards, however.

I don't really think this needs to have 20 copies. It does return to the supply after all.

Thank you. I changed the first, but made it 12 copies, because you can gain two in a turn, similar to Port.

Seems more similar to Experiment.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: April 13, 2019, 03:53:50 pm »

Seems more similar to Experiment.

You are right. I really forgot that this card exists. It is similar, but not the same! So, I am fine with 10 cards to match Experiment.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: April 13, 2019, 04:41:32 pm »
+1

$4
---

$3
---

$2
---

$1
+1 Buy
---

This changes the interaction behavior with Bank, Mint, Mandarin, Herbalist, Monastery and other cards.

I think my original wording makes the card(s) slightly more interesting.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: April 13, 2019, 05:10:44 pm »
+1

Diamond (Treasure-Jewel)
$4
---

Ruby (Treasure-Jewel)
$3
---

$2
---

Emerald (Treasure-Jewel)
$1
+1 Buy
---

I think my original wording makes the card(s) slightly more interesting.

The issue is that unlike the official Travellers these are mandatory to exchange, which could lead to a lot of accidental "cheating" when people inevitably forget to exchange after they've done their buying. I think these should follow the lead of Vampire and Bats and exchange on play. Generally you should go for the best/easiest gameplay over worrying about how things interact with a handful of other cards, you get other interactions like Storyteller or Venture opened up if you exchange on play anyway.

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: April 14, 2019, 12:43:07 am »

War Flag
There is no way to get $3 from War Flag without trashing it (because discarding Treasures effectively reduces the $ it produces), in much the same way that there is no way to get the +$2 from Mining Village without trashing it.
The repeatable benefit of War Flag is an Attack that effectively costs $ to run. The one-shot is getting the $ and the Attack without paying for it otherwise.

I think you are undervaluing the ability to trash War Flag early to hamper other players' turns before you can build a consistent Gold-discarding deck. Even trashing a War Flag that you want to keep (when it misses a good Treasure) and rebuying War Flag is not a moot point because of its in-games-using-this effect. Because buying Victory card dismantles your deck, leveraging the War Flags you previously used for consistent Attacking for inconsistent economy is not to be ignored.

Would the following count?
Drunkard
Types: Action
Cost: $2
+2 Cards. You may trash this. If you do, +2 Cards.
It's a repeatable draw benefit that can be a bigger draw benefit once.
That's the same thing, conceptually.

Technically, you could discard Horn of Plenty and still get $3 from it, but that's just an edge case. I see what you're saying, but to me it still doesn't seem like a one-shot, and yes, that drunkard card does seem like one.  Maybe I'm wrong, but this isn't a perfect contest or anything.  Sorry. You get the $3 every time you play it, which can be multiple times.  You can use the attack multiple times. Sometimes the $3 is undone by the treasure you discard, but that doesn't mean you didn't get $3 from War Flag.

If I'm not mistaken, if you chose the option to trash War Flag, you don't attack your opponents, right? It says either trash this, or discard a treasure and attack.

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: April 14, 2019, 05:45:50 am »
+2

A split pile. Hope that's ok?

Tax Inspector ($2 Action)
+1 Buy
+1 Coffers
Set this aside. At the start of Clean-up, put it on a Supply pile that doesn't have a Tax Inspector on top.
(It must then be gained or bought before any cards below it.)

Raiders ($5 Action-Attack)
+ $3
Each other player discard down to 3 cards in their hand.
You may pay a Coffers. If you do, at the start of Clean-up gain a Gold. Otherwise, return this to the Supply.

The interesting mechanic is obviously Tax Inspector. Covering a pile doesn't just delay buying from it but can also block card effects: e.g. a Curser won't work if the Curse pile is covered. Carefully timed, it could also delay the game end. The +2 Coffers is hopefully a decent enough one-shot effect for the price; the +1 Buy helps in buying any annoyingly placed Tax Inspectors. The split pile stops there being too many Tax Inspectors on the board, and gives an extra incentive to buy them, as does the Raiders' Coffers dependency.

Tax Inspector returns at start of clean-up to allow you to buy cards first; Raiders gains a Gold then to allow you to clear the Gold pile from any Tax Inspectors. Playing a BoM or Overlord as a Tax Inspector can result in those cards at the top of piles, and bypasses the at-most-one-on-top restriction, but given these are expensive I expect that's ok (though it might be fun to put an Overlord on top of the last Province).

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: April 14, 2019, 08:34:48 am »
+1

Mountain Chappel $2 (could't think of a better name)
Trash this card and any number of cards in your hand

Chappel is goooood! This is a varient that is worse in some situations (as an opener, you do not keep it for the second and third shuffle still burning coppers and estates) and better in others (as part of an engine)
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.