Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1565516 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #1725 on: April 07, 2019, 04:47:26 pm »
+1

Mad Scientist
$5 Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash a card from your hand costing at least $2. If you do, +2 Cards. Otherwise, gain a Silver.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 06:52:36 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: April 07, 2019, 05:33:57 pm »

It's a budget Smithy.  It will be great if you can keep the silvers out of the way. Hopefully not too good.

This card is... incredibly weak. As the Fan Card Creation Guide says, the difference between $3 and $4 is negligible, so this card is far too weak to only cost $1 more than Smithy, with both an on-play and an on-gain drawback. Heck, I'd give it +4 Cards instead of 3 and price it the same.

It doesn't have an on-gain drawback, it has an on-gain attack.

Wouldn't players WANT to gain Silvers onto their deck? It's only an attack if other players are going for Silver Workers.
Ignore Awaclus. He thinks he's funny.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1684
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: April 07, 2019, 05:37:49 pm »

Mad Scientist
$5 Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash a card costing at least $2. If you do, +2 Cards. Otherwise, gain a Silver.

Trash a card... from where? Your hand, I assume?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1004
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: April 07, 2019, 05:51:13 pm »
+2

It's a budget Smithy.  It will be great if you can keep the silvers out of the way. Hopefully not too good.

This card is... incredibly weak. As the Fan Card Creation Guide says, the difference between $3 and $4 is negligible, so this card is far too weak to only cost $1 more than Smithy, with both an on-play and an on-gain drawback. Heck, I'd give it +4 Cards instead of 3 and price it the same.

Wouldn't players WANT to gain Silvers onto their deck? It's only an attack if other players are going for Silver Workers.

I mean topdecking Silvers could totally mess up an engine, Silvers that also make your Silver Workers stink... It's way more of an attack than Embassy ever is at least.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: April 07, 2019, 06:51:53 pm »

Mad Scientist
$5 Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash a card costing at least $2. If you do, +2 Cards. Otherwise, gain a Silver.

Yes, it should say from your hand. Forgot to include that.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: April 07, 2019, 06:57:54 pm »

Mad Scientist
$5 Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Yes, it should say from your hand. Forgot to include that.

Also, what happened to the image?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 12:29:45 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: April 07, 2019, 07:43:58 pm »

Mad Scientist
$5 Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash a card from your hand costing at least $2. If you do, +2 Cards. Otherwise, gain a Silver.
...Yes, it should say from your hand. Forgot to include that.
Also, what happened to the card image?
Uh... nothing. It's still in my post. just thought It'd be nicer to take less space by not including it in the nested quotes.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 07:45:22 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

wittyhowlard

• Swindler
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: April 07, 2019, 10:32:55 pm »
+2

Couldn't decide between one or the other to submit as they're similar but each have their unique uses. If I'm forced to pick one let me know!

EDIT: I'm submitting Refinery (second card)

Also, how do I shrink the images? (Aka it's my first time posting, thanks :) )

or

« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 11:06:07 pm by wittyhowlard »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: April 07, 2019, 11:06:25 pm »

Yes, you have to pick one and only one to be your official submission.

It's unclear what "if you did" refers to in the first version.

wittyhowlard

• Swindler
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: April 07, 2019, 11:16:46 pm »

Yes, you have to pick one and only one to be your official submission.

It's unclear what "if you did" refers to in the first version.

"If you did" should only be for trashing two silvers.

I'm going to stick with the Refinery anyways as I think that's an interesting opening card. Wondering if it should cost a dollar or two higher though as gaining a silver to hand has a baseline with Trading Post (which costs $5). That said, you can only do this three times and afterwards it only turns into a terminal sifter.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: April 08, 2019, 12:30:54 am »

Mad Scientist
$5 Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
...Yes, it should say from your hand. Forgot to include that.
Also, what happened to the card image?
Uh... nothing. It's still in my post. just thought It'd be nicer to take less space by not including it in the nested quotes.

There's no image on my screen when I look at your post.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: April 08, 2019, 06:50:48 am »

I mean topdecking Silvers could totally mess up an engine, Silvers that also make your Silver Workers stink... It's way more of an attack than Embassy ever is at least.
Hum, okay, those are points I can get behind. I think the solution should be to either make gaining optional (make sure it's never an attack) or make sure it always feels like an attack, by changing it slightly. This way it's a weird in-between thing.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +661
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: April 08, 2019, 02:05:33 pm »

Hum, okay, those are points I can get behind. I think the solution should be to either make gaining optional (make sure it's never an attack) or make sure it always feels like an attack, by changing it slightly. This way it's a weird in-between thing.

It was definitely meant to be more of an attack.  If your opponent is using silver worker for draw, obviously having silver hurts.  If they aren't, then your silver workers are likely to just be $3 Smithies.

I see your point about the difference between $3 and $4 though.  It won't matter often (of course it will matter sometimes, like with hermit or when you have exactly $3 extra)
I don't hate the idea of this drawing 4 cards either.  But I'd rather make a card that is on the weakish side which makes you find smart times to use it than a card that is usually very strong. 

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1437
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: April 08, 2019, 02:23:27 pm »

It is a good card and I like that the on-gain Silver thing is sometimes good and sometimes bad for the other players:

Silver Worker vs Silver worker - attack
Silver Worker vs BM - gift
Silver Worker vs other engine - more likely to be an attack

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: April 09, 2019, 11:13:07 am »
+2

Decided to push my submission a bit in power to make it a 5$. Still not terribly exciting, and possibly favors Big Money too much.

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #1740 on: April 09, 2019, 01:59:53 pm »

I'll be judging sometime in the next 12 hours. Hopefully that's enough time for those who wish to submit or tweak your entries.

FlyerBeast

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: FlyerBeast
  • Wide and Torturous
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: April 09, 2019, 04:49:54 pm »
+1

Building Society
Cost:$5
Types: Action-Treasure

If it's your Action phase, +1 Card, +1 Action and + $1.
When you play this, it's worth $1 per Silver you have in play.

A building society is, I suppose, a small Bank. It's an experiment with the idea of having an Action-Treasure, something I don't think I've seen before. Here, you can either play it as cantrip money or wait to the end of your turn to get more out of it, provided you can get enough Silvers into your hand some other way.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: April 09, 2019, 05:26:12 pm »

Building Society

A building society is, I suppose, a small Bank. It's an experiment with the idea of having an Action-Treasure, something I don't think I've seen before. Here, you can either play it as cantrip money or wait to the end of your turn to get more out of it, provided you can get enough Silvers into your hand some other way.

According to this current wording, it's worth $1 per silver regardless of if you play it in your action phase or not. That shouldn't matter too much except in the case of Black Market and Storyteller. Is that intentional?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: April 09, 2019, 06:17:26 pm »

It's an experiment with the idea of having an Action-Treasure, something I don't think I've seen before.

You mean besides Crown?

FlyerBeast

• Ambassador
  • Wide and Torturous
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: April 09, 2019, 06:20:38 pm »

Building Society

According to this current wording, it's worth $1 per silver regardless of if you play it in your action phase or not. That shouldn't matter too much except in the case of Black Market and Storyteller. Is that intentional?

Absolutely! I'm imagining a couple of interesting things being possible if you're able to play Treasures any way that's unusual. It might synergise nicely with Villa too...

EDIT: Ah, I forgot about Crown. I suppose the difference is that it does very different things depending on the phase. I'm still up for seeing more of that type of card though!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 06:22:48 pm by FlyerBeast »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: April 09, 2019, 06:29:11 pm »

Building Society

I suggest to make this say "+1$ per Silver in play" first, and then have the Action part. "Worth" sounds like it was something different, perhaps even ineffective if played as an Action, but several cards imply the words actually mean the same.

FlyerBeast

• Ambassador
  • Wide and Torturous
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: April 09, 2019, 06:48:41 pm »
+1

Building Society

I suggest to make this say "+1$ per Silver in play" first, and then have the Action part. "Worth" sounds like it was something different, perhaps even ineffective if played as an Action, but several cards imply the words actually mean the same.

I was just going off the wording from Bank but I think I see your point. So, new version of the card (far more elegant looking):

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: April 09, 2019, 09:06:45 pm »
+3

Here's my submission, the Silver Miner. He could strike it rich off the top of your deck, or just find one in the Supply; he'll get you a Silver one way or another, he's no slacker. It started out as a wackier concept, but morphed into a Menagerie variant. I'm not totally happy with it, but I could revisit it some day.

Silver Miner - Action, $3
+1 Action
Reveal the top card of your deck and put it into your hand. If it's a Silver, +2 Cards. Otherwise, gain a Silver.

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: April 10, 2019, 12:48:15 am »
+7

Alrighty then! Here are my remarks on each entry. Yes, you will notice a lot of discussion about theming (how the name matches the mechanics, or vice versa) because I'm a sucker for good theming.

==

Oxidation (Landmark)
This game, whenever you would trash a Copper or Silver card, eat it instead*. If you did, you become protected from the starve to death rule.

Okay, yes, it’s a joke card-shaped object, but it gave me a laugh. You get a silver star for that, hhelibebcnofnena.

Sterling Village
Action/Silver - $3
+$1
+2 Actions
Discard the top card of your deck. If it's a Silver, put it in your hand.
--
Effects that apply to Silver apply to this card

I like that it interacts with other cards that interact with Silver. Whether it’s as good as Fishing Village or not remains to be seen, but I like that you went in a different direction, NoMoreFun. As a theme nerd, I’m not sure if a Sterling Village is actually a thing outside of naming a retirement home.

Paul Revere
Action - $5
+3 Cards
-
While this is in play, whenever you play a Silver, +1 Buy, +$1

Very strong Big Money card, as it basically turns Silvers into Counterfeits (minus the blocking). Okay enough with the right engine that still allows Silvers, but I think it might be far too strong for Big Money, silvern. Also, I’m not a fan of naming a card after a real person.

Iwami Mine
cost $5 - Treasure - Victory
Gain a Silver to your hand.
You may put it onto your Iwami Mat.
---
Worth 1vp per 2 Silvers you have on your Iwami Mat (rounded down).

Again, majiponi, naming something after a real, unique place is not my favorite in terms of theming. I do like that you got me to learn about Iwami-ginzan, though. The wording is a bit clunky, but the idea is different. I would be interested to see how viable this is as an alt-VP strategy. Apart from a few cases (getting just enough to nab a crucial Province, for example), I don’t see keeping the Silver as viable as just building your Iwami score, especially considering that you need a good engine to play the Iwami Mines and get enough to make the whole process worth it.

Gift
Type: Action
Cost: $1

+1 Buy
-
When you gain this, gain a Silver. If it is not your first turn, set it aside. If you did, add it to your hand at the start of your next turn.

Thanks for attempting my discarded challenge idea as well, King Leon. You get a silver star! And honestly, I like cards that result in endgame shenanigans. It gives the game a special, evil flavor. Mwahahaha! It works as a $1 card, in my opinion, as it is basically just a Ruined Market with a Merchant-Ship-esque on-gain effect. I’m okay with the first-turn clause just out of principle. Theme-wise, you get the Silver Gift when you get it, but then you’re left with a mostly useless box. Unless you have a cat.

Silver Bullets
Action-Night-Attack - $4
If it’s your Night phase, you may trash a Silver in play. If you did, then each other player reveals their hand. If they have any Night cards in hand, they gain a Curse. If they don’t, they discard down to 4 cards in hand. Otherwise, gain 2 Silvers, putting one into your hand.

I do really like the theme, especially if Werewolf is in play. Shoot the bullet, or get two more? Gotta admit, I’m a sucker for effects that really fit the name. The wording, though? Clunky, clunky, clunky. I get that you can play it as an Action to get the two Silvers with one in hand or play it at Night without trashing a Silver to effectively just gain two Silvers. Would be interesting in a Feodum/Gardens game, but it also makes itself susceptible to Cursing. Good attempt, ClouduHieh; just a little too situational overall.

Silverbank $4
action
+1 action
Show up to 4 silvers from your hand. +1 card per Silver shown.

A nice simple card from lompeluiten. Editing nitpick: it should be “Reveal up to 4 Silvers…” rather than “Show.” It is similar to Shepherd, but you don’t discard the Silvers. It has potential. I do not like the name, though, as it evokes Bank and thus explains the effect confusion from earlier.

Trade Agreement
Treasure - $3
$3
+2 Buys
You may exchange a Silver in play for a Trade Agreement. If you didn’t, exchange this for a Copper.

Ooooh! I like this, faust. Super-powered when compared to Silver, but without Silver, it becomes a worthless Copper. I can see it as a good card for the early game, assuming there are good expensive cards or a good array of cheap cards that you want early. Then, you just need to get rid of the Copper this will inevitably become. In all honestly, though, I see it being used more often as a one-shot Super Gold, so I’m not sure how often the Silver effect will be used or even necessary. But yeah, the theme is perfect.

Silver Mine
Project - $6
At the start of your turn, gain a Silver to your hand and discard a Card.

Another simple card, courtesy of mail-mi. Again, the name isn’t the greatest, but it works. The effect would be pretty nice in Big Money or Feodum/Gardens. I don’t see this as a great engine Project without some good trash-for-benefit mixed in. To paraphrase Columbia, “It’s okay!”

Magnet
Action - $5
+1 Action
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. If one is a Silver, put them all into your hand. Otherwise, put one into your hand and put the rest back in any order.

Jarring image notwithstanding, this is an interesting entry from Commodore Chuckles. It can either be an overpowered Laboratory or a cantrip with a choice. It would be very interesting to see how much Silver in the deck would be needed to optimize Magnet’s capabilities in an engine. It mostly fits the name, other than that Silver is non-magnetic. Hard to imagine a better name, though…

Marketplace
Project - $4
When you play a Silver, +1 Buy.

And Gubump delivers a simple yet solid project that rivals Fair. While the latter gives you an extra Buy every turn, Marketplace can deliver more Buys with the presence of Silvers. Whether a lot of Silvers and thus Buys are necessary can be very board-dependent. I just don’t know if it’s distinct enough from Fair to justify a victory in this challenge, to be honest.

Trading Quarter
Action - $5
+1 Buy
Choose one: trash a Silver from your hand for +4 Cards; or gain a Silver from the trash to your hand for +$2.

With some villages in play, and assuming there are Silvers in hand/trash to make it work, I could see this as a fun card. I’m with Gubump that a Silver in the Trash per player would be a good addition. Trading Quarter isn’t the worst name, but I like Harbor, too. Either way, Aquila, good work.

Pioneer
Action - $2
+1 Action
+1 Buy
You may trash a card from your hand. Otherwise, trash this and gain a Silver.

While certainly not as powerful as Chapel, a non-terminal trasher that can trash itself for a Silver is not bad at all. Certainly better as a $2 than a $1, Shard of Honor. Not sure about the theming, in all honestly, but it’s not terrible.

Barn
Action - $4
Choose one: You may discard a Copper from your hand for +3 Cards; or a Silver for +4 Cards; or a Gold for +5 Cards.

Put your golden hay into the Barn and get a workhorse out. Okay enough. It’s not lame at all, Gazbag. It’s honestly a decent Smithy variant that works best with Silver, if you ask me. A good BM card for sure, but may not be optimal for all engines.

Cathedral Town
+2 Actions
+$1
You may trash a Silver from your hand for +2VP.
$3 Action

A different take on the vanilla effects from Sterling Village, stechafle instead has you trade a Silver for some points. Honestly, though, this effect won’t be all that great until the endgame when points are more important than Silvers. Until then, it’s a non-Duration Fishing Village. The name works overall, anyway.

Silver Worker
+3 Cards
Reveal your hand. Discard a card per Silver revealed this way.
-
When you gain this, each other play gains a Silver onto their deck.

The gimped Smithy effect is decent enough, Chappy7. However, the on-gain effect seems very interesting, indeed. It can help sometimes, but for mirror Silver Workers and tight engines, it can often be a decent attack. The effects are nicely cohesive. I just think the name does not fit. Why would a Silver Worker be hurt by their own Silver? Too bad Werewolf is already taken; Wererat, maybe?

Silversmith
Action - $3
You may discard a Silver. If you do, +3 Cards, +2 Actions, +1 Buy and put a card from your hand onto your deck. If you don’t, gain a Silver.

“If you don’t” should just be “otherwise.” The effect is okay, if a little overwrought. Surprised it took this long for someone to claim the name “Silversmith,” segura. It works with the mechanics, I think.

Mad Scientist
$5 Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

A good way to get rid of those Estates early on, or it can at least give you fuel for later uses. Mad Scientist is such a perfect name, too, as it relates to Laboratory but the madness can force you to trash or gain Silver. I like it, LibraryAdventurer.

Refinery
Action - $3
+2 Cards
Discard two cards. You may trash two Coppers in your discard pile. If you did, gain a Silver to your hand.

A specialized Trading Post variant like this could have some early game use, especially with the discard effect. However, once your Coppers are gone, this is a pretty poor card. Smelter may have more uses later in the game, at least. Both themes are good, though. As for shrinking, when you put in the image code, add “width=200” or some similar number after the “img” in the first set of brackets (no quotes, of course, and make sure there’s a space between “img” and “width”). You don’t need to do anything to the /img tag. Does that make sense? Anyway, welcome to the contest, wittyhowlard!

Day-Taler
Action - $5
+3 Cards
You may discard a Silver for +1 Card, +1 Action

A Smithy you can pay extra to effectively make it non-terminal. I like the choice aspect, and whether it favors BM too much? I personally have to see it to believe it. The name is perhaps a little too neologistic, but overall, it’s a good card, Asper.

Building Society
Action-Treasure - $5
When you play this, +$1 per Silver you have in play, and if it’s your Action phase, +1 Card, +1 Action, +$1.

Nice work with the rewording, FlyerBeast. It’s a Peddler variant that could be really something with Storyteller, Villa, etc. With the right boards, it could be a rather powerful card. For most games, it’s just a Peddler that can be played as a Treasure with Silvers in play. Decent theming.

Silver Miner
Action - $3
+1 Action
Reveal the top card of your deck and put it into your hand. If it’s a Silver, +2 Cards. Otherwise, gain a Silver.

A very fine entry to end the contest, crlundy. Either it’s a Menagerie or a Silver-gaining cantrip. The name works well enough with the mechanics, too, and I like your story for it. Not much else to say, really.

--

This is a very difficult decision, but I’m basing it on all aspects of the entry: mechanics, wording, pricing, naming/theming, image use (when available), creativity, and how well it utilizes the challenge of involving Silvers.

WINNER: Silver Worker by Chappy7! Theming issues aside, I like how all three major mechanics of the card work together, especially with the Silver challenge.

RUNNER-UP: Trade Agreement by faust. I was so close to giving this the win, but my misgivings about the Silver-exchange kept it out of the win.

If your card's name is bold, that means I really liked it overall, so consider yourself an honorable mention.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +661
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: April 10, 2019, 02:33:56 am »

Alrighty then! Here are my remarks on each entry. Yes, you will notice a lot of discussion about theming (how the name matches the mechanics, or vice versa) because I'm a sucker for good theming.

==

Oxidation (Landmark)
This game, whenever you would trash a Copper or Silver card, eat it instead*. If you did, you become protected from the starve to death rule.

Okay, yes, it’s a joke card-shaped object, but it gave me a laugh. You get a silver star for that, hhelibebcnofnena.

Sterling Village
Action/Silver - $3
+$1
+2 Actions
Discard the top card of your deck. If it's a Silver, put it in your hand.
--
Effects that apply to Silver apply to this card

I like that it interacts with other cards that interact with Silver. Whether it’s as good as Fishing Village or not remains to be seen, but I like that you went in a different direction, NoMoreFun. As a theme nerd, I’m not sure if a Sterling Village is actually a thing outside of naming a retirement home.

Paul Revere
Action - $5
+3 Cards
-
While this is in play, whenever you play a Silver, +1 Buy, +$1

Very strong Big Money card, as it basically turns Silvers into Counterfeits (minus the blocking). Okay enough with the right engine that still allows Silvers, but I think it might be far too strong for Big Money, silvern. Also, I’m not a fan of naming a card after a real person.

Iwami Mine
cost $5 - Treasure - Victory
Gain a Silver to your hand.
You may put it onto your Iwami Mat.
---
Worth 1vp per 2 Silvers you have on your Iwami Mat (rounded down).

Again, majiponi, naming something after a real, unique place is not my favorite in terms of theming. I do like that you got me to learn about Iwami-ginzan, though. The wording is a bit clunky, but the idea is different. I would be interested to see how viable this is as an alt-VP strategy. Apart from a few cases (getting just enough to nab a crucial Province, for example), I don’t see keeping the Silver as viable as just building your Iwami score, especially considering that you need a good engine to play the Iwami Mines and get enough to make the whole process worth it.

Gift
Type: Action
Cost: $1

+1 Buy
-
When you gain this, gain a Silver. If it is not your first turn, set it aside. If you did, add it to your hand at the start of your next turn.

Thanks for attempting my discarded challenge idea as well, King Leon. You get a silver star! And honestly, I like cards that result in endgame shenanigans. It gives the game a special, evil flavor. Mwahahaha! It works as a $1 card, in my opinion, as it is basically just a Ruined Market with a Merchant-Ship-esque on-gain effect. I’m okay with the first-turn clause just out of principle. Theme-wise, you get the Silver Gift when you get it, but then you’re left with a mostly useless box. Unless you have a cat.

Silver Bullets
Action-Night-Attack - $4
If it’s your Night phase, you may trash a Silver in play. If you did, then each other player reveals their hand. If they have any Night cards in hand, they gain a Curse. If they don’t, they discard down to 4 cards in hand. Otherwise, gain 2 Silvers, putting one into your hand.

I do really like the theme, especially if Werewolf is in play. Shoot the bullet, or get two more? Gotta admit, I’m a sucker for effects that really fit the name. The wording, though? Clunky, clunky, clunky. I get that you can play it as an Action to get the two Silvers with one in hand or play it at Night without trashing a Silver to effectively just gain two Silvers. Would be interesting in a Feodum/Gardens game, but it also makes itself susceptible to Cursing. Good attempt, ClouduHieh; just a little too situational overall.

Silverbank $4
action
+1 action
Show up to 4 silvers from your hand. +1 card per Silver shown.

A nice simple card from lompeluiten. Editing nitpick: it should be “Reveal up to 4 Silvers…” rather than “Show.” It is similar to Shepherd, but you don’t discard the Silvers. It has potential. I do not like the name, though, as it evokes Bank and thus explains the effect confusion from earlier.

Trade Agreement
Treasure - $3
$3
+2 Buys
You may exchange a Silver in play for a Trade Agreement. If you didn’t, exchange this for a Copper.

Ooooh! I like this, faust. Super-powered when compared to Silver, but without Silver, it becomes a worthless Copper. I can see it as a good card for the early game, assuming there are good expensive cards or a good array of cheap cards that you want early. Then, you just need to get rid of the Copper this will inevitably become. In all honestly, though, I see it being used more often as a one-shot Super Gold, so I’m not sure how often the Silver effect will be used or even necessary. But yeah, the theme is perfect.

Silver Mine
Project - $6
At the start of your turn, gain a Silver to your hand and discard a Card.

Another simple card, courtesy of mail-mi. Again, the name isn’t the greatest, but it works. The effect would be pretty nice in Big Money or Feodum/Gardens. I don’t see this as a great engine Project without some good trash-for-benefit mixed in. To paraphrase Columbia, “It’s okay!”

Magnet
Action - $5
+1 Action
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. If one is a Silver, put them all into your hand. Otherwise, put one into your hand and put the rest back in any order.

Jarring image notwithstanding, this is an interesting entry from Commodore Chuckles. It can either be an overpowered Laboratory or a cantrip with a choice. It would be very interesting to see how much Silver in the deck would be needed to optimize Magnet’s capabilities in an engine. It mostly fits the name, other than that Silver is non-magnetic. Hard to imagine a better name, though…

Marketplace
Project - $4
When you play a Silver, +1 Buy.

And Gubump delivers a simple yet solid project that rivals Fair. While the latter gives you an extra Buy every turn, Marketplace can deliver more Buys with the presence of Silvers. Whether a lot of Silvers and thus Buys are necessary can be very board-dependent. I just don’t know if it’s distinct enough from Fair to justify a victory in this challenge, to be honest.

Trading Quarter
Action - $5
+1 Buy
Choose one: trash a Silver from your hand for +4 Cards; or gain a Silver from the trash to your hand for +$2.

With some villages in play, and assuming there are Silvers in hand/trash to make it work, I could see this as a fun card. I’m with Gubump that a Silver in the Trash per player would be a good addition. Trading Quarter isn’t the worst name, but I like Harbor, too. Either way, Aquila, good work.

Pioneer
Action - $2
+1 Action
+1 Buy
You may trash a card from your hand. Otherwise, trash this and gain a Silver.

While certainly not as powerful as Chapel, a non-terminal trasher that can trash itself for a Silver is not bad at all. Certainly better as a $2 than a $1, Shard of Honor. Not sure about the theming, in all honestly, but it’s not terrible.

Barn
Action - $4
Choose one: You may discard a Copper from your hand for +3 Cards; or a Silver for +4 Cards; or a Gold for +5 Cards.

Put your golden hay into the Barn and get a workhorse out. Okay enough. It’s not lame at all, Gazbag. It’s honestly a decent Smithy variant that works best with Silver, if you ask me. A good BM card for sure, but may not be optimal for all engines.

Cathedral Town
+2 Actions
+$1
You may trash a Silver from your hand for +2VP.
$3 Action

A different take on the vanilla effects from Sterling Village, stechafle instead has you trade a Silver for some points. Honestly, though, this effect won’t be all that great until the endgame when points are more important than Silvers. Until then, it’s a non-Duration Fishing Village. The name works overall, anyway.

Silver Worker
+3 Cards
Reveal your hand. Discard a card per Silver revealed this way.
-
When you gain this, each other play gains a Silver onto their deck.

The gimped Smithy effect is decent enough, Chappy7. However, the on-gain effect seems very interesting, indeed. It can help sometimes, but for mirror Silver Workers and tight engines, it can often be a decent attack. The effects are nicely cohesive. I just think the name does not fit. Why would a Silver Worker be hurt by their own Silver? Too bad Werewolf is already taken; Wererat, maybe?

Silversmith
Action - $3
You may discard a Silver. If you do, +3 Cards, +2 Actions, +1 Buy and put a card from your hand onto your deck. If you don’t, gain a Silver.

“If you don’t” should just be “otherwise.” The effect is okay, if a little overwrought. Surprised it took this long for someone to claim the name “Silversmith,” segura. It works with the mechanics, I think.

Mad Scientist
$5 Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

A good way to get rid of those Estates early on, or it can at least give you fuel for later uses. Mad Scientist is such a perfect name, too, as it relates to Laboratory but the madness can force you to trash or gain Silver. I like it, LibraryAdventurer.

Refinery
Action - $3
+2 Cards
Discard two cards. You may trash two Coppers in your discard pile. If you did, gain a Silver to your hand.

A specialized Trading Post variant like this could have some early game use, especially with the discard effect. However, once your Coppers are gone, this is a pretty poor card. Smelter may have more uses later in the game, at least. Both themes are good, though. As for shrinking, when you put in the image code, add “width=200” or some similar number after the “img” in the first set of brackets (no quotes, of course, and make sure there’s a space between “img” and “width”). You don’t need to do anything to the /img tag. Does that make sense? Anyway, welcome to the contest, wittyhowlard!

Day-Taler
Action - $5
+3 Cards
You may discard a Silver for +1 Card, +1 Action

A Smithy you can pay extra to effectively make it non-terminal. I like the choice aspect, and whether it favors BM too much? I personally have to see it to believe it. The name is perhaps a little too neologistic, but overall, it’s a good card, Asper.

Building Society
Action-Treasure - $5
When you play this, +$1 per Silver you have in play, and if it’s your Action phase, +1 Card, +1 Action, +$1.

Nice work with the rewording, FlyerBeast. It’s a Peddler variant that could be really something with Storyteller, Villa, etc. With the right boards, it could be a rather powerful card. For most games, it’s just a Peddler that can be played as a Treasure with Silvers in play. Decent theming.

Silver Miner
Action - $3
+1 Action
Reveal the top card of your deck and put it into your hand. If it’s a Silver, +2 Cards. Otherwise, gain a Silver.

A very fine entry to end the contest, crlundy. Either it’s a Menagerie or a Silver-gaining cantrip. The name works well enough with the mechanics, too, and I like your story for it. Not much else to say, really.

--

This is a very difficult decision, but I’m basing it on all aspects of the entry: mechanics, wording, pricing, naming/theming, image use (when available), creativity, and how well it utilizes the challenge of involving Silvers.

WINNER: Silver Worker by Chappy7! Theming issues aside, I like how all three major mechanics of the card work together, especially with the Silver challenge.

RUNNER-UP: Trade Agreement by faust. I was so close to giving this the win, but my misgivings about the Silver-exchange kept it out of the win.

If your card's name is bold, that means I really liked it overall, so consider yourself an honorable mention.

Thanks! The new challenge will be posted soon
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 327  All

Page created in 1.798 seconds with 21 queries.