Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546221 times)

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #1675 on: April 02, 2019, 08:15:09 pm »
+4

Thank you so much for the win, faust! Always a good idea to go for an Education.

Challenge #25: Silver Anniversary!

It's the 25th Weekly Design Contest, and the 25th Anniversary is traditionally called the Silver Anniversary. Therefore, design a card-shaped object (Kingdom card or sideways card) that concerns Silvers. Gaining them, trashing them, getting powers from them, losing powers from them, getting points from them, losing points from them, eating them, whatever!

Edit: I originally posted the "I'd Buy That for $1" Challenge (design a $1 card), but after realizing the Silver connection to #25, I had to change the challenge. My apologies to anyone who started working on the $1 card; if I ever win again, I promise that will be the challenge next time.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 11:19:41 pm by Tejayes »

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: April 02, 2019, 10:28:32 pm »
+5

eating them, whatever!

Okay, I have to go for this (will also post this in RBCI):

Oxidation (Landmark)
This game, whenever you would trash a Copper or Silver card, eat it instead*. If you did, you become protected from the starve to death rule.

*All games of Dominion you play in the future will be played without any cards you ate.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: April 02, 2019, 11:59:21 pm »
+2

Sterling Village
Action/Silver - $3
+$1
+2 Actions
Discard the top card of your deck. If it's a Silver, put it in your hand.
--
Effects that apply to Silver apply to this card

Rules clarification: Any effects that refer to Silver refer to both cards with the name "Silver" and cards with the type "Silver". For example you can gain a Sterling Village when you buy a Delve, they count for Feodum, you get +$1 if you play a Sterling Village after playing a Merchant, etc.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: April 03, 2019, 12:48:36 am »

Commonwealth
Event - 2D

Gain a non-Victory card costing up to $6. Take D equal to its cost in $.
Such a natural idea. So probably broken. I don't think it will lead to very fun games, those high-cost cards have that cost for a reason. Plus there is no real reason for this to have debt cost itself, so it's not quite in the spirit of this challenge.

The debt cost is there to simulate an increase in cost to get a good card now. So a $6 Goons becomes 8D Goons, or a $5 Cultist becomes a 7D cultist. But you're right it's most likely broken.
I know but it might as well be $2.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silvern

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: April 03, 2019, 02:42:58 am »
+1

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: April 03, 2019, 05:43:47 am »
+1

Iwami Mine
cost $5 - Treasure - Victory
Gain a Silver to your hand.
You may put it onto your Iwami Mat.
---
Worth 1vp per 2 Silvers you have on your Iwami Mat (rounded down).

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: April 03, 2019, 12:42:03 pm »
+2

I accept the challenge and tried to create a card which utilizes Silver and costs $1. It’s variant of Skulk and Nomad Camp and I hope, you enjoy this card.

Gift
Type: Action
Cost: $1

+1 Buy
-
When you gain this, gain a Silver. If it is not your first turn, set it aside. If you did, add it to your hand at the start of your next turn.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 06:57:37 pm by King Leon »

GreyEK

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: GreyEK
  • Respect: +58
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: April 03, 2019, 01:47:30 pm »

I'm not sure this needs the 'If it's not your first turn' clause.  It's not super broken without it, pretty comparable to other early spiking cards, and it's pretty tough to see buying it often, with the main use case looking like picking up a treasure payload quickly when you're fully trashed, or if this is the only buy.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: April 03, 2019, 03:50:52 pm »

I'm not sure this needs the 'If it's not your first turn' clause.  It's not super broken without it, pretty comparable to other early spiking cards, and it's pretty tough to see buying it often, with the main use case looking like picking up a treasure payload quickly when you're fully trashed, or if this is the only buy.

It needs to have that clause, because players who start 3/4 or 2/5 would have a huge advantage in having $6 in turn 2, which is insane. Baker is not as broken, because 5/3 is also not as bad and you could even save the Coffers for later.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 03:55:12 pm by King Leon »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: April 03, 2019, 04:17:56 pm »

I accept the challenge and tried to create a card which utilizes Silver and costs $1. It’s a Skulk variant and I hope, you enjoy this card.

Gift

+1 Buy
-
When you gain this, gain a Silver. If it is not your first turn, set it aside. If you did, add it to your hand at the start of your next turn.
In general I like it but there could be undesired endgame shenanigans, i.e. you can transfer a Buy and a Coin into 2 Coins for the next turn which could too easily set up a megaturn. As an extreme case, with one cost reducer in play and 5 Buys to spare you can generate an extra 10 Coins next turn. So endgame play could resolve too much around Gift in Kingdoms that support a megaturn, amplifying that whole thing (too) much.
It is of course a matter of taste, if that is a desired sidegoal it is of course fine.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: April 03, 2019, 05:10:53 pm »
+1

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: April 03, 2019, 05:49:28 pm »
+1

Huh, this is another one where I have a fitting card lying around in my vault... So, what could be something new...

Day-taler, Action, 3$
+3 Cards
Discard a card. If it is a Silver: +1 Action

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: April 03, 2019, 06:01:55 pm »

I accept the challenge and tried to create a card which utilizes Silver and costs $1. It’s a Skulk variant and I hope, you enjoy this card.

Gift

+1 Buy
-
In general I like it but there could be undesired endgame shenanigans, i.e. you can transfer a Buy and a Coin into 2 Coins for the next turn which could too easily set up a megaturn. As an extreme case, with one cost reducer in play and 5 Buys to spare you can generate an extra 10 Coins next turn. So endgame play could resolve too much around Gift in Kingdoms that support a megaturn, amplifying that whole thing (too) much.
It is of course a matter of taste, if that is a desired sidegoal it is of course fine.

I noted that endgame may be problematic, but the Gift pile is limited by 10 cards and you cannot use the Silver in the same turn, you gained Gift. Even if you are able to buy five Gifts in a turn, that is just a +$10 in the next turn. If you don't get any +Buy in your next hand (which is even very likely, because you used your +Buys in the last turn to buy all those Gifts), you may be able to buy a Colony, but also end up with a lot of Ruined Markets, while your new Silvers miss a shuffle. Meanwhile, your opponent goes for a three-pile ending.

If you are already running an engine with +Buy and Cost reducers (e. g. Capitalism+Bridge), there are a lot more other possibilities for megaturns, e. g. the innocent looking, but powerful Native Village.

And, of course, there are already other cards with delayed penalties like Borrow or Summoned Death Cart.

Fun Fact: Summoning a Stonemason overpaying by one and later using it to convert Estates to two Gifts is a rather interesting combo, but it seems to be still balanced.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 06:14:34 pm by King Leon »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: April 03, 2019, 06:18:53 pm »
+1

Fun Fact: Summoning a Stonemason overpaying by one and later using it to convert Estates to two Gifts is a rather interesting combo, but it seems to be still balanced.

Um, you can't overpay for it if you Summon it?

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: April 03, 2019, 07:04:12 pm »

Just a phrasing nitpick:

There are three or four "If" clauses here. It is unclear which one the "Otherwise" refers to. I assume, based on the fact that it is an Action card as well as a Night card, that it refers to "If it is your Night phase". If so, then I think you should change the "otherwise" to "If it is your Action phase". If I did not have that context, I would just assume it referred to the previous "If", which is probably incorrect.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: April 03, 2019, 09:03:42 pm »

Well if remember werewolf only had otherwise and that was after night phase. I can add otherwise if it’s your Action phase gain 2 silvers putting one on your deck. But werewolf did not have Action phase in its wording.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:05:31 pm by ClouduHieh »

GreyEK

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: GreyEK
  • Respect: +58
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: April 03, 2019, 09:19:24 pm »

It needs to have that clause, because players who start 3/4 or 2/5 would have a huge advantage in having $6 in turn 2, which is insane. Baker is not as broken, because 5/3 is also not as bad and you could even save the Coffers for later.

$6 turn 2 is not insane at all, since usually you're just buying a 5-cost with it.  The only really strong card that this would matter on would be Goons, (or maybe like Inhertiance with Borrow/Save/Baker) Buying a gold T2 off of this ends up with an opening comparable to Gold-Silver-Ruined Market, which in the general case is even worse than double Silver.

The endgame stuff is certainly also potentially useful, but seems certainly more towards the cool if you can make it work side rather than towards the broken side, particularly in an engine style deck, where the silver goes to hand but you still have the extra card in your deck to balance the overdraw.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:23:10 pm by GreyEK »

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: April 03, 2019, 09:34:44 pm »

Well if remember werewolf only had otherwise and that was after night phase. I can add otherwise if it’s your Action phase gain 2 silvers putting one on your deck. But werewolf did not have Action phase in its wording.

Werewolf did only have 'otherwise', but it also had only one 'if'. Your card had multiple 'if's, which is the reason I think it should specify which 'if' the 'otherwise' was talking about. The other option is to have the Action phase effect first, so that there is only one 'if' before the 'otherwise'. You don't have to change it, I just think it's clearer if you do.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: April 03, 2019, 09:45:09 pm »

Gaining a Silver to your hand seems pointless here, because it's your Night phase so you won't be able to play.

Overall, the card looks extremely weak. Getting it opens you up to the Cursing attack, so you won't want it unless you're really desperate for Silvers for some reason.

As I said previously, I think the wording here is too confusing. I'm pretty sure what ClouduHieh means is that if you play it in your action phase you get the silvers (so gaining to hand does something), and if you play it at night you get the (possible) attack.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: April 03, 2019, 09:51:14 pm »

I'm seeing at least two ambiguities here:

1. "Otherwise" could refer to any one of the 3 "if" clauses that precede it. Normally you'd assume that it would refer to the "if" directly before it, but that's not the meaning you wanted.

2. Does "if they don't" refer to having Night cards in hand or gaining a Curse?

As I said previously, I think the wording here is too confusing. I'm pretty sure what ClouduHieh means is that if you play it in your action phase you get the silvers (so gaining to hand does something), and if you play it at night you get the (possible) attack.

Yes, I realized that, which is why I deleted that post.

I still think the card is pretty weak, though. Gaining Silver to hand terminally just isn't very good, and the Cursing is a particularly good reason not to get it at all.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:54:27 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: April 04, 2019, 12:40:40 am »

I just entered this into the contest because it’s all about silver, yeah it might be weak so what. It’s about silver, not gold. Otherwise gaining a gold would be better but your using a silver bullet as the silver bullet fires you lose a silver or you get more silver to essentially fire your silver bullet against things that go bump in the night like a werewolf. The name and and the effect are good enough for me. It doesn’t have to be perfect for a contest unless you can guarantee that if it’s perfect it win for sure or be a runner up for sure. Otherwise it doesn’t matter it’s just for this contest.

I’m never going to play with it. So it doesn’t need to be perfect. The only criticism I’ll take is the one who put this contest challenge together. I just thought the name was cool.

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: April 04, 2019, 01:09:18 am »

Werewolf did only have 'otherwise', but it also had only one 'if'. Your card had multiple 'if's, which is the reason I think it should specify which 'if' the 'otherwise' was talking about. The other option is to have the Action phase effect first, so that there is only one 'if' before the 'otherwise'. You don't have to change it, I just think it's clearer if you do.

For what it's worth, Crown does not have an "otherwise" wording.

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: April 04, 2019, 03:36:44 am »
+1

I have an idea....

Silverbank $4
action
+1 action
Show up to 4 silvers from your hand. +1 card per Silver shown.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: April 04, 2019, 05:28:36 am »

I have an idea....

Silverbank $4
action
+1 action
Show up to 4 silvers from your hand. +1 card per Silver shown.
This is pretty weak. Sure, it's nonterminal, but apart from that it's worse than Coppersmith. For instance, it is limited to at most +4$, and unlike with Coppers, you don't start with Silvers in your deck. Of course Silvers are better than Coppers, but you forego buying something else instead.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: April 04, 2019, 06:49:47 am »
+4

Trade Agreement
Treasure - $3

$3
+2 Buys
You may exchange a Silver in play for a Trade Agreement. If you didn't, exchange this for a Copper.

Would you be interested in a Trade Agreement with England?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.