Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546952 times)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #1625 on: March 27, 2019, 02:15:33 am »

The effect is that of a cantrip Cellar. Unlike the Adventure vanilla tokens not necessarily that strong in multiples but of course you still want it on the pile of which you have most copies. I think it can get away with not being restricted to Actions as sifting during your Buy or Night phase is probably not that strong anyway.
The main reason of the Debt cost is to make this available early in Kingdoms in which it is strongest, i.e. without trashers.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: March 27, 2019, 02:19:22 am »

Education
Project - 10 Debt
-
At the start of your turn, +$2.
At the end of your Buy phase, if you have any Debt remaining, take 2 Debt.

This card is inspired by my own status as a graduate student with loans to pay off. Yep.

Any feedback on this as an actual Project is appreciated, of course, especially concerning the upfront Debt cost.
That's a brilliant idea. With the mini-Capital effect while you are in Debt timing this well becomes anything but trivial.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: March 27, 2019, 03:21:54 am »

just throw in a Potion that, once you start to green, reads as +1 Buy +$8.

This convinced me; you’re right. Maybe it would be fine with “overpay up to $6”. Or $5.

I agree that Walpurgisnacht is overpowering without any limitation. I thought letting you have an useless Potion in hand is nice, but no reason to let you gain 2 Colonies. I'll add something to stop that. What I wanted was "Yeah! I gained 2 Possessions!" kind of thing.

Walpurgisnacht
cost P+ - Event
When you buy this, you may overpay up to $6P for it. If you do, gain 2 cards each costing the amount you overpaid.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 03:46:01 am by majiponi »

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: March 27, 2019, 06:26:56 am »

Discovery
Types: Event
Cost: $2
Discard a Victory card costing at least $4. If you do, remove this from the Supply and look at 4 random Kingdom cards not in the Supply. Add one's Supply pile to the Kingdom and gain up to 2 cards from it.
A one-shot event paid for by discarding a relevant Victory card.  Everybody can get copies of the card you add, but you get 1 or 2 of them then and there, in addition to deciding which one it's going to be.  Discovery will typically be triggered later, either with extra $ and an extra buy or maybe by a trailing player who needs the weirdness to try to win.  Getting that choice between 4 cards could be relevant, too.  I suppose you could rush it turn 3\4 with Island (which is thematic, I guess) and Mill (which is simply weird).
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: March 27, 2019, 09:42:33 am »

The effect is that of a cantrip Cellar. Unlike the Adventure vanilla tokens not necessarily that strong in multiples but of course you still want it on the pile of which you have most copies. I think it can get away with not being restricted to Actions as sifting during your Buy or Night phase is probably not that strong anyway.
The main reason of the Debt cost is to make this available early in Kingdoms in which it is strongest, i.e. without trashers.

And interesting idea for a "vanilla" token, but the event seems overpriced. I think +1 card, +1 action, and + are all much stronger tokens; this event should cost less than those events. It could probably be . But the cheaper it gets, the less reason you have for giving it debt cost.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: March 27, 2019, 12:07:57 pm »

Smeltery
Types: Project
Cost: $4*
At the start of Clean-up, you may return a Treasure card to the supply and gain a treasure card costing up to $3 more than it
-
You can only buy this if you have at least 3 differently named Treasures in play
This costs extra $1 for each two Coppers in play, rounded up
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 03:30:59 pm by grep »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: March 27, 2019, 12:23:41 pm »

Smeltery
Cost: $5
At the start of Clean-up, you may return a Treasure card to the supply and gain a treasure card costing up to $3 more than it
-
You can only buy this if you have at least 3 differently named Treasures in play

Where does the returned treasure come from? In hand or in play?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: March 27, 2019, 04:36:30 pm »

And interesting idea for a "vanilla" token, but the event seems overpriced. I think +1 card, +1 action, and + are all much stronger tokens; this event should cost less than those events. It could probably be . But the cheaper it gets, the less reason you have for giving it debt cost.
A cantrip Cellar would probably be too strong for $4 and slightly weak at $5. So from this perspective it is weaker than Lab/Pathfinding yet better than Peddler/Training and Village/Lost Arts*.
The decreasing benefits of playing multiple cantrip Cellars makes it weaker relatively to the other vanilla tokens.
But Debt costs make the card available when it is strongest, i.e. early on (as opposed to getting Training / Lost Arts in the middlegame).

I don't know which of these pluses and minuses weighs heavier but as is pretty similar to I leave it as this price. I also think that the Adventures tokens are a bit too centralizing and don't mind if this Event is on average only bought in every second or third Kingdom.

As you pointed out, at lower costs Debt makes less sense and or even could be too prohibitive: in non-trasher Kingdoms you want that sifter as early as possible.

*- As Lost Arts eliminates the standard matching problem of villages and terminal draw cards (which is the very reason Village and Smithy can be cheaper than two Labs) its effect is significantly stronger than that of he corresponding vanilla card, Village, so this is where this simple comparison fails.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #24: special cost project/event
« Reply #1633 on: March 27, 2019, 05:01:30 pm »

Mail Service - Project, $3+ cost.
When another player gains a card costing $5 or more, +1 Card.
-
This costs $1 more per player in the game.

Unlikely to be balanced, I just thought this was natural, like what Road Network could have been.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: March 27, 2019, 05:13:21 pm »

Smeltery
Cost: $5
-
The condition is too harsh and arguably not necessary at all.
While Mine (i.e. handgaining) might be too strong it could at least topdeck like Taxman.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: March 27, 2019, 06:53:36 pm »
+2

Updated:

I think it wants to be difficult to get early so the potion fits, but maybe it doesn't have to be quite so expensive? To be honest it's probably completely broken or completely useless depending on the board.

Edit: Changed to return to supply and cost lowered.

Edit2: Debt cost now

Old version 1:
Old version 2:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 04:30:09 pm by Gazbag »

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: March 27, 2019, 07:04:02 pm »

I think it wants to be difficult to get early so the potion fits, but maybe it doesn't have to be quite so expensive? To be honest it's probably completely broken or completely useless depending on the board.

Maybe add a condition preventing it from trashing if you can't gain one costing more (e.g. your only card played was an Expand).
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: March 27, 2019, 07:11:10 pm »
+1

I really like the idea. Maybe exchanging them instead of remodeling them would make it less aggressive, thinking about the three pile ending
Who trashes the trashers?

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: March 27, 2019, 07:12:08 pm »

Maybe add a condition preventing it from trashing if you can't gain one costing more (e.g. your only card played was an Expand).

That's my favourite part of the card!

FlyerBeast

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: FlyerBeast
  • Wide and Torturous
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: March 27, 2019, 07:13:33 pm »

Research
Types: Event
Cost: 7
Once per turn: Each other player draws until they have 6 cards in hand then discards a card. Choose a card discarded this way. You may trash any number of copies of it from play and your hand, or gain a copy of it if it isn't a Victory card.
-
This costs $1 less per card discarded (by you or any other player) this turn.

An Event that gets easier to buy the more discarding Attacks (Or Moats, but shhh) you've played, but undoes their effect. I had a bit of fun coming up with an ability that antisynergises with Attacks but hopefully has a useful enough reward and some unique player interaction. Other players discarded Estates or Coppers? You can trash some junk. Discarded Actions or Treasures? You can have one. Discarded Provinces? ...Yeah, this is an early-mid-game-only Event I suppose, I'm OK with that. The 'trash from play' is pretty much only for Coppers. (An extremely untrustworthy Mint?? Good luck getting the other players to cooperate with that)

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: March 27, 2019, 07:24:45 pm »
+1

I really like the idea. Maybe exchanging them instead of remodeling them would make it less aggressive, thinking about the three pile ending

Yeah that's a good point! I was hoping that you'd get it late enough in the game that it isn't a problem but maybe the piles would just empty before it  bites you in the bum too much. I'll make it return to the supply so you still get the on-gain effects. I'll also make it cost $4P because i think $6P might be a little conservative.

So here's the update:

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: March 27, 2019, 07:54:22 pm »

The wording on this is very unclear. I think it's saying that during cleanup you upgrade one Action card in play (and it's not optional) but the "when" is confusing; it could be interpreted to mean that you have to upgrade all of your Action cards in play. I would reword it to something like "During cleanup, choose one Action card you have in play..."

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: March 27, 2019, 07:59:06 pm »

The wording on this is very unclear. I think it's saying that during cleanup you upgrade one Action card in play (and it's not optional) but the "when" is confusing; it could be interpreted to mean that you have to upgrade all of your Action cards in play. I would reword it to something like "During cleanup, choose one Action card you have in play..."

You do upgrade all actions, I don't see how this isn't clear?

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: March 27, 2019, 10:23:28 pm »

Yeah that's a good point! I was hoping that you'd get it late enough in the game that it isn't a problem but maybe the piles would just empty before it  bites you in the bum too much. I'll make it return to the supply so you still get the on-gain effects. I'll also make it cost $4P because i think $6P might be a little conservative.

So here's the update:

I'd also like to point that the anti-synergy with potion is really strong: If this is the only thing with potion in the kingdom, potion becomes a dead card after you buy this and, on the other hand, if there are other cards with potion in their cost, you probably don't want this.
Also, as you said, this project is board dependent, so I think that it should be easier to get, then, if it's broken, at least you don't have bad shuffle issues. Maybe making this a debt cost card?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:25:19 pm by Freddy10 »
Who trashes the trashers?

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: March 27, 2019, 10:34:48 pm »
+1

It just doesn't seem that good if you do it to all your actions and it's not optional. Because that means all your best cards become one-shots. Say there's no Actions. Then you're now paying for an Lab which is really an Experiment, when normally you can pay for 2 of them. Your cheaper cards get a bit better as they progress, but you still only get a few turns with them. If you want any engine to be effective, I think you need huge amounts of +buy and just to keep your actions around, and if that's available in big enough quantities your deck, it's probably time to green anyway. Maybe I'm missing something, but that's just how it seems to me.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: March 27, 2019, 11:01:37 pm »

It just doesn't seem that good if you do it to all your actions and it's not optional. Because that means all your best cards become one-shots. Say there's no Actions. Then you're now paying for an Lab which is really an Experiment, when normally you can pay for 2 of them. Your cheaper cards get a bit better as they progress, but you still only get a few turns with them. If you want any engine to be effective, I think you need huge amounts of +buy and just to keep your actions around, and if that's available in big enough quantities your deck, it's probably time to green anyway. Maybe I'm missing something, but that's just how it seems to me.

Yes, that's exactly why I was confused. If you have to upgrade everything then I'm not sure it's ever worth buying. Even if the board is particularly favorable, you're gonna be running out of cards real fast. And most of the time the board won't be particularly favorable, due to price gaps and other things.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 11:06:49 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: March 28, 2019, 12:33:53 am »

A cantrip Cellar would probably be too strong for $4 and slightly weak at $5. So from this perspective it is weaker than Lab/Pathfinding yet better than Peddler/Training and Village/Lost Arts*.
The decreasing benefits of playing multiple cantrip Cellars makes it weaker relatively to the other vanilla tokens.
But Debt costs make the card available when it is strongest, i.e. early on (as opposed to getting Training / Lost Arts in the middlegame).

I don't know which of these pluses and minuses weighs heavier but as is pretty similar to I leave it as this price. I also think that the Adventures tokens are a bit too centralizing and don't mind if this Event is on average only bought in every second or third Kingdom.

As you pointed out, at lower costs Debt makes less sense and or even could be too prohibitive: in non-trasher Kingdoms you want that sifter as early as possible.

*- As Lost Arts eliminates the standard matching problem of villages and terminal draw cards (which is the very reason Village and Smithy can be cheaper than two Labs) its effect is significantly stronger than that of he corresponding vanilla card, Village, so this is where this simple comparison fails.
Interestingly, I've had an identical event that I've been using for the past couple years that costs .  It seems to work okay.  Not a star, but still worth considering, with the potential to be very useful in the right deck.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: March 28, 2019, 09:08:27 am »

I just thought it was a cool idea, personally I'm fine with a landscape being a bit situational.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: March 28, 2019, 01:04:18 pm »

The problem is that the Project is expensive yet only useful for a few turns. Once you are out of villages your engine collapses.
That is not situational but pretty much always the case.
Even in the best case scenario, i.e. no price gaps, decent $2s and $3s, it is only four turns until that Patrician kamikazes himself.

I think that due to the expensive price this Project could get away with being non-mandatory. While it is mandatory you have no control at all. Another option is to not restrict the gained cards to Actions, then all those $5s could at least Upgrade themselves into Gold.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: March 28, 2019, 01:45:12 pm »

Darn. The two ideas I had for this round ended up as a simple trash-for-benefit Event and a Project with an ongoing condition, respectively. I don't want to submit my old stuff, so apparently I'll sit back and watch. It's a cool challenge.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 21 queries.