Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546969 times)

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #1575 on: March 21, 2019, 10:24:07 am »

The non-mandatory trashing is the little extra, similar to Junk Dealer or Upgrade having a little extra relative to a mere cantrip trasher.
The main idea of the Attack is that you might want to junk the opponents if you have more trashing power.
To kickstart this Curses game I put the topdecking attack in there; not sure if it is too strong though.
The extra Buy is there to make everything run smoother with Potions but it could be too much.
Why do you need potion in costs?

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: March 21, 2019, 10:41:35 am »

Cursed Estate, Victory $4
1Vp
Whenever you gain this card, all other players gain a curse

With Baker in the kingdom you don't want to be the player with the 5/2 split. There is a reason that Ill-gotten Gains costs $5. With Baron/Squire/Herbalist/Storeroom/Pawn/Peasant this can lead to a quick Estate run.

I dont know what the baker has to do with this?

With Baker in the kingdom, a 4/4 opening is possible, which means two Cursed Estates.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: March 21, 2019, 10:58:51 am »
+2

1Vp

With Baker in the kingdom you don't want to be the player with the 5/2 split. There is a reason that Ill-gotten Gains costs $5. With Baron/Squire/Herbalist/Storeroom/Pawn/Peasant this can lead to a quick Estate run.

With Baker in the kingdom, a 4/4 opening is possible, which means two Cursed Estates.

I'm almost sure that opening two Cursed Estates is a horrible move. IGG provides reliability to hit , for Duchies. If you bought nothing but Cursed Estates, while your opponent played normally, you would be left with a deck that has 18 junk cards, only 7 of which are Copper, while your opponent has 8 junk cards, and whatever other normal stuff he's been doing. You'd be up by 16 points, sure, but you've only drained 1 pile; and you have absolutely no economy available to try to drain 2 more. You'd have to buy 2 Curses yourself if you want the fastest 3-pile.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 11:08:57 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: March 21, 2019, 12:11:57 pm »

My attempt at a dual type Curse-ish card. You can buy it and then trash it later, but the Curse-gaining makes it more of a pain to do so. Overall, you'll have to decide if the extra +Action is worth it. The type is "Dark" instead of Curse to avoid any confusion.

I agree with what the others said. Given that you never get rid of the negative VP this is worth, I think it should just say "When you gain this, each other player gets +1VP" and avoid the type weirdness completely. Obviously it won't fit the brief anymore, but it will be a better card.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: March 21, 2019, 01:20:56 pm »
+1

My attempt at a dual type Curse-ish card. You can buy it and then trash it later, but the Curse-gaining makes it more of a pain to do so. Overall, you'll have to decide if the extra +Action is worth it. The type is "Dark" instead of Curse to avoid any confusion.

I agree with what the others said. Given that you never get rid of the negative VP this is worth, I think it should just say "When you gain this, each other player gets +1VP" and avoid the type weirdness completely. Obviously it won't fit the brief anymore, but it will be a better card.

Well you can get rid of the -, you just have to "trash it twice". I think in terms of mechanics and theme, it's much better to not give a token to other players. In terms of balance, this card does suffer from the same issue as any VP-as-a-penalty card.. which is that sometimes 1 means nothing at all to the final score, and sometimes it means everything.

The new type seems fine; as long as it were with a broader set where the new type had actual meaning.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Shard of Honor

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: Shard of Honor
  • Respect: +199
    • View Profile
    • Fan Card Creator
« Reply #1580 on: March 21, 2019, 04:46:44 pm »
+3

I've already posted this earlier, without much feedback. As far as I know, reusing old ideas is not forbidden?
In case I have a new idea, that is suiting as well, I'll replace this post.

You might want to check out my own fan-card creations, built with this.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: March 21, 2019, 06:28:33 pm »
+1

[Wood Witch]

Well, that's annoyingly close to my entry.

Devil's Bargain
Types: Action
Cost: $3
+1 Card
Look at the top card of your deck.  You may put it in your hand.  If you do, +1 Action, and gain a curse.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: March 21, 2019, 06:52:30 pm »

[Wood Witch]

Devil's Bargain
+1 Card
Look at the top card of your deck.  You may put it in your hand.  If you do, +1 Action, and gain a curse.

I don’t see how they are similar at all.... Wood Witch is a cantrip that sometimes gives opponents a Curse. Devil’s Bargain is a cheap lab that self-curses as a penalty. I think Devil’s Bargain is way too weak; it’s a Ruined Library if you don’t take the Curse. Might be fine if you always got the action. Even then, probably a $2.

+1 Card
+1 Action

Look at the top card of your deck. You may gain a Curse, for +1 Card.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: March 22, 2019, 05:55:59 am »

I think Devil’s Bargain is way too weak; it’s a Ruined Library if you don’t take the Curse. Might be fine if you always got the action. Even then, probably a $2.

+1 Card
+1 Action

I agree the current version is too weak, but this makes the decision too trivial. It doesn't hurt to get it, and the decision whether to get the Curse should usually be simple, of the type Watchtower in hand? Need more trashing fodder for Forager? etc. I think making it actively hurt when you don't get the Curse makes for better design, but it needs to be stronger and it somehow needs to deal with the case where Curses have run out.

EDIT: Just saw that the original card's wording works if Curses run out, so that's good? Though it becomes a mindless pickup after Curses run out another way.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:38:25 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: March 22, 2019, 07:11:49 am »

1Vp

I'm almost sure that opening two Cursed Estates is a horrible move. IGG provides reliability to hit , for Duchies. If you bought nothing but Cursed Estates, while your opponent played normally, you would be left with a deck that has 18 junk cards, only 7 of which are Copper, while your opponent has 8 junk cards, and whatever other normal stuff he's been doing. You'd be up by 16 points, sure, but you've only drained 1 pile; and you have absolutely no economy available to try to drain 2 more. You'd have to buy 2 Curses yourself if you want the fastest 3-pile.

I tought of that. Maybe it should be more this:
1Vp
-
Setup: this kingdompile has 10 cards

lompeluiten

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: March 22, 2019, 07:29:11 am »

[Wood Witch]

Devil's Bargain
+1 Card

I don’t see how they are similar at all.... Wood Witch is a cantrip that sometimes gives opponents a Curse. Devil’s Bargain is a cheap lab that self-curses as a penalty. I think Devil’s Bargain is way too weak; it’s a Ruined Library if you don’t take the Curse. Might be fine if you always got the action. Even then, probably a $2.

+1 Card
+1 Action

But isn't your intention that if you pile down the curse cards, it is an Libary? I think that makes the card more interesting. Piling down the curses all by yourself is painfull, so be rewarded for that is interesting play. Deffintly if there are other curse cards in the Kingdom

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: March 22, 2019, 10:05:24 am »

1Vp

1Vp
-

My post was only meant to show why the card isn't overpowered when you can open 4/4; I think it is actually fine as-is. Probably pretty weak; but it has some interesting uses.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: March 22, 2019, 10:12:13 am »

[Wood Witch]

Devil's Bargain
+1 Card

+1 Card
+1 Action

But isn't your intention that if you pile down the curse cards, it is an Libary? I think that makes the card more interesting. Piling down the curses all by yourself is painfull, so be rewarded for that is interesting play. Deffintly if there are other curse cards in the Kingdom

I assume you mean Laboratory? It might be fine to not have the Lab-effect be conditional on successfully gaining the Curse; but the problem is in games where Curses can run out in any other way, this becomes nothing but a cheaper Laboratory.

I agree the current version is too weak, but this makes the decision too trivial. It doesn't hurt to get it, and the decision whether to get the Curse should usually be simple, of the type Watchtower in hand? Need more trashing fodder for Forager? etc. I think making it actively hurt when you don't get the Curse makes for better design, but it needs to be stronger and it somehow needs to deal with the case where Curses have run out.

EDIT: Just saw that the original card's wording works if Curses run out, so that's good? Though it becomes a mindless pickup after Curses run out another way.

I think things like Watchtower are just special combos, just like with Cache or Treasure Trove. In other cases, I think it will be something you are rarely willing to do; which makes it maybe about on par with Pearl Diver... a cantrip that's barely better than just a cantrip. But maybe it's too good when it happens to be good.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: March 22, 2019, 11:09:09 am »

Well you can get rid of the -, you just have to "trash it twice". I think in terms of mechanics and theme, it's much better to not give a token to other players. In terms of balance, this card does suffer from the same issue as any VP-as-a-penalty card.. which is that sometimes 1 means nothing at all to the final score, and sometimes it means everything.

The new type seems fine; as long as it were with a broader set where the new type had actual meaning.

I agree that giving other players VP tokens doesn't fit the "Dark" theme. But it doesn't have to. I think that a theme decision mustn't dictate mechanics decisions. Theme can spawn mechanic ideas, but if fixing the mechanic doesn't fit the theme anymore, you should change the theme, not go with the inferior mechanic for thematic reasons. Which is to say, I absolutely think VP tokens for other players are the better mechanic - unless you want to introduce several cards that use this type of penalty, where introducing a new non-Curse type is justifiable.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: March 22, 2019, 12:57:14 pm »

I assume you mean Laboratory? It might be fine to not have the Lab-effect be conditional on successfully gaining the Curse; but the problem is in games where Curses can run out in any other way, this becomes nothing but a cheaper Laboratory.

Yes.  The intention is that it's a Lab-for-a-curse until the curses run out.  After that, yeah, it's a cheaper lab; but at that point there's a good chance that people's decks are so junked that a cheap lab isn't game-breaking, and you're a pile down so the game's starting to end anyway.

FlyerBeast

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: FlyerBeast
  • Wide and Torturous
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: March 22, 2019, 02:05:34 pm »

Hi! Been Lurking here for a while and finally have some cards to show!

This is supposed to be an Island variant that lets other players Island things for free... for a Curse cost. I've been wondering whether this is an Attack or not- if the negative effect is optional it can't be right?

Also just for fun, a card that could gain you all the Curses in the game at once and still might be worth buying:

(Wait, oops, this is probably ridiculously overpowered with Watchtower)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: March 22, 2019, 02:14:35 pm »

The non-mandatory trashing is the little extra, similar to Junk Dealer or Upgrade having a little extra relative to a mere cantrip trasher.
The main idea of the Attack is that you might want to junk the opponents if you have more trashing power.
To kickstart this Curses game I put the topdecking attack in there; not sure if it is too strong though.
The extra Buy is there to make everything run smoother with Potions but it could be too much.
Why do you need potion in costs?
Because the card is too good for $5 and because the junking subgame would be less interesting if Scientist were easier to gain (just play a Junk Dealer game: not so hard to gain a second or even third one).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: March 22, 2019, 02:50:09 pm »

Hi! Been Lurking here for a while and finally have some cards to show!

This is supposed to be an Island variant that lets other players Island things for free... for a Curse cost. I've been wondering whether this is an Attack or not- if the negative effect is optional it can't be right?

Welcome!

You're correct, shouldn't be an attack because other players can always choose to not be affected; so they would only be affected when it is helpful to them. But I don't see when they would ever choose it... setting aside a card at the cost of gaining a Curse just has the net effect of -1; with no change at all to the number of junk cards in their deck. Unless the Curses have already run out; it just doesn't seem like your opponents would ever choose to do the optional effect.

It seems way weaker than Island, almost strictly so. Instead of getting to set aside an Estate, you get to trash a Curse, which is way more situational. In plenty of games with this card, Curses won't even ever be gained by anyone. So it ends up largely being an Island without the setting aside another card part.

FlyerBeast

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: FlyerBeast
  • Wide and Torturous
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: March 22, 2019, 05:25:56 pm »
+1

I don't see when they would ever choose it... setting aside a card at the cost of gaining a Curse just has the net effect of -1; with no change at all to the number of junk cards in their deck. Unless the Curses have already run out; it just doesn't seem like your opponents would ever choose to do the optional effect.

It seems way weaker than Island, almost strictly so. Instead of getting to set aside an Estate, you get to trash a Curse, which is way more situational. In plenty of games with this card, Curses won't even ever be gained by anyone. So it ends up largely being an Island without the setting aside another card part.

Ah, I see your point! I might be too enamoured by Island's uses for getting things out of your deck. What if, instead, it was:

(Don't worry, I shan't clog up the thread with any more iterations of this, thanks for the feedback though!)

lompeluiten

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: March 23, 2019, 05:54:59 am »

Yes.  The intention is that it's a Lab-for-a-curse until the curses run out.  After that, yeah, it's a cheaper lab; but at that point there's a good chance that people's decks are so junked that a cheap lab isn't game-breaking, and you're a pile down so the game's starting to end anyway.

I love the idea, but it is very conditional. It needs a trasher or another curse card in the kindom. You will never play it as an engine in this condition, as this card is absolutly shit as a 1 off without any support.

If you look at cursed gold, that gives you a curse for $3. Doing that once of twice are interesting chooises in a vacuum. So you could do it more like this: "+1 action, +1 card. You may gain $2. If you do, gain a curse." Those can be interesting choises without supporting cards, and becomes absoluty fun with. And the devil promisses riches more often anyway.

lompeluiten

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: March 23, 2019, 06:04:43 am »
+1

1Vp
-

My post was only meant to show why the card isn't overpowered when you can open 4/4; I think it is actually fine as-is. Probably pretty weak; but it has some interesting uses.

1Vp
-
Setup: this supply pile contains 10 cards

ahyangyi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: March 23, 2019, 06:30:17 am »
+1

(current version)
Taskmaster
Action
+1 Action.
Reveal the top card of your deck, then put it in your hand. If it's a curse or a victory card, +1 Card, +1 Buy, +$1; otherwise, gain a curse, and you may put it on your deck.
$2

Previous versions:
(v1)
Taskmaster
Action
+1 Action.
Reveal the top card of your deck, then put it in your hand. If it's a curse, +1 Card, +1 Buy, +$1; otherwise, gain a curse.
$2
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 01:17:23 pm by ahyangyi »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: March 23, 2019, 07:49:35 am »

Taskmaster
Action
+1 Action.
Reveal the top card of your deck, then put it in your hand. If it's a curse, +1 Card, +1 Buy, +$1; otherwise, gain a curse.
$2
Let's assume the worst case, a Kingdom with Cursers yet no trashers. Let's also assume that the Curse pile is empty at T10 which seems relatively early. In a 2P game you have 10 starting cards, 10 bought cards and 5 Curses in your deck. That's a Curse ratio of 0.2.
I seriously doubt that in this instance I would ever want a Ruined Village that becomes a Market in 1 out of 5 cases. And usually Taskmaster is worse as it junks yourself and as the Curse ratio in your deck might be lower.

Sorry, but this card is only situationally better than Ruined Village and thus borderline junk.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: March 23, 2019, 08:14:21 am »

Taskmaster
Action
+1 Action.
$2
Let's assume the worst case, a Kingdom with Cursers yet no trashers. Let's also assume that the Curse pile is empty at T10 which seems relatively early. In a 2P game you have 10 starting cards, 10 bought cards and 5 Curses in your deck. That's a Curse ratio of 0.2.
I seriously doubt that in this instance I would ever want a Ruined Village that becomes a Market in 1 out of 5 cases. And usually Taskmaster is worse as it junks yourself and as the Curse ratio in your deck might be lower.

Sorry, but this card is only situationally better than Ruined Village and thus borderline junk.
You are missing that it is always a cantrip. So it does become a Market + Lab if it hits. Still relatively weak. Maybe it could gain the Curse to the top of your deck for a little self synergy?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

ahyangyi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: March 23, 2019, 01:16:20 pm »

Indeed. Now I also think it's too weak. Adding the option of topdecking the curse should help a bit.

Maybe also make it gives the nice bonus when the revealed card is a victory card? It still doesn't feel strong when compared against Crossroads. Perhaps it should have been that.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 21 queries.