Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546569 times)

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #1525 on: March 11, 2019, 05:34:29 am »
+3

Great, thanks segura!
Hope this one's going to be to everyone's liking...

Contest #22: a set of 3 Shelters.
A little while ago, I randomised a game with an app, set it up, put the last pile out and everything else back in the box, then realised I forgot the Shelters. Could I be bothered to get them out? Not really, they wouldn't change much. So, see if you can make a set that would persuade me. Add a little excitement, yet don't make things too crazy and speed the game up too much.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: March 11, 2019, 06:26:13 am »
+1

Neat contest idea!

You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: March 11, 2019, 09:41:53 am »

Ill Gotten Treasury
cost $1 - Action - Shelter
Trash this to gain 3 Coppers into your hand.

Dry Moat
cost $1 - Reaction - Shelter
When another player plays an Attack card, you may trash this from your hand for +1 Card and to be unaffected by it.

Secret Estate
cost $1 - Victory - Shelter
When you trash this, set this aside.
---
1VP

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: March 11, 2019, 10:47:29 am »

Secret Estate
---
1VP
Is this supposed to remain set aside forever? In that case, "When you trash this, +1 VP" seems more reasonable. If not, it needs to say when it is returned.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: March 11, 2019, 10:52:31 am »
+1

Will make images later. They're a bit strong but cute.

Boneyard / Action - Shelter / $1
+1 Villager

Hole / Night - Shelter / $1
Trash this. If you do, trash a card from your hand.

Dilapidated Estate / Victory - Shelter / $1
Worth 2 VP per differently named Shelter you have in your deck.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:53:47 am by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: March 11, 2019, 10:56:36 am »
+3

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 11:01:31 am by hypercube »
I have sigs off.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: March 11, 2019, 10:57:57 am »
+1

Hole / Night - Shelter / $1

Bomb makes a glorious return...

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: March 11, 2019, 11:59:52 am »
+1

Secret Estate
---
1VP
Is this supposed to remain set aside forever? In that case, "When you trash this, +1 VP" seems more reasonable. If not, it needs to say when it is returned.
Yes, +1VP is simpler, but not everyone has Prosperity or Empires. I thought letting it standalone is better.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: March 11, 2019, 01:17:01 pm »

Commons
Types: Reaction, Shelter
Cost: $1
When you gain a card, you may discard this. If you do, put the gained card into your hand.
Dowry
Types: Action, Shelter
While this is in play, when you buy a card costing at least $1, +1 Buy.
When you discard this from play, trash this and if the total cost in coins of cards you bought this turn is...  From $0 to $9: Gain an Estate;  From $10 to $19: Gain a Duchy;  At least $20: Gain a Province.
Workhouse
Types: Victory, Shelter
Worth 1VP for each differently named card costing at most $2 in your deck.
When you trash this, +4 Actions
Dowry gives you one-shot "infinite" buys, and then turns into a Victory card depending on the total cost of the things you buy.
Workhouse can be trashed for +Actions, but also offers Museum-styled VP for cheap-cards--including the Shelters.
Commons lets you swap out for different cards.

EDIT: Originally Commons could save trashed cards. Thinking about it, I'm not even bothered about recursive Bishop things; I'm bothered that, while it was cool with Workhouse, it was lame around Dowry. I don't like this massively weakened Commons very much, so I'll probably replace it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 08:12:13 pm by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: March 11, 2019, 01:17:24 pm »

If Leon or somebody else ever tries this out it will likely have to get slightly tweaked anyway given how many paramaters there are.
Thank you for the great contest topic. I never mentioned it, but Leon is not my real name. The card implements one of my old game ideas, originally unrelated to Dominion.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 01:19:29 pm by King Leon »

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: March 11, 2019, 01:42:54 pm »
+1

I tried to make them shake things up a bit more than the real Shelters but not mess with the opening, although you can choose to eat Pig in the opening so I guess they do kind of mess with the opening... Old Shrine could maybe do something else as well but I didn't want to get carried away and a pure Shelter has some charm. They all give you reasons to consider not trashing them and are loosely tied with a Treasure theme.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: March 11, 2019, 01:43:06 pm »
+1

Dowry gives you one-shot "infinite" buys, and then turns into a Victory card depending on the total cost of the things you buy.
Workhouse can be trashed for +Actions, but also offers Museum-styled VP for cheap-cards--including the Shelters.
Commons lets you put gained cards into your hand, or save cards you're trashing. Maybe it's the key to the others.
I think all of these are above the power level I would want for Shelters, but Commons is the worst offender. Just imagine Commons/Lurker. Or Commons/Bishop, which can reliably generate 8 VP per turn, or multiples of that with only some draw and actions.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: March 11, 2019, 01:55:58 pm »
+3

I never mentioned it, but Leon is not my real name.
No worries, it's just an internet name, your majesty.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: March 11, 2019, 02:08:52 pm »

"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: March 11, 2019, 02:57:47 pm »

Allotments
Type: Victory - Shelter
Cost: $3

˝ VP
Nothing more than free trash-to-benefit fodder. The costs of $3 become obvious in a few seconds. If you manage to keep it until the end, it also works as a tiebreaker.

Lost Place
Type: Action - Shelter
Cost: $0

Trash a card from your hand. If it is a Curse: +$2, else gain a differently named card with the same costs.
Remodeller, extremely slow Copper trasher and Curse defense in one card.

Chicken Market
Type: Action - Shelter

Reveal your hand. If you have no Silver in your hand: +1 Buy.
Junk card, which actually can be useful, when it is the only +Buy card. Slightly increases the attractiveness of non-Silver openings. Double Squire loves this card, but Curse attacks are weaker because of Lost Place.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 03:00:25 pm by King Leon »

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: March 11, 2019, 03:14:21 pm »

Commons lets you put gained cards into your hand, or save cards you're trashing. Maybe it's the key to the others.
I think all of these are above the power level I would want for Shelters, but Commons is the worst offender. Just imagine Commons/Lurker. Or Commons/Bishop, which can reliably generate 8 VP per turn, or multiples of that with only some draw and actions.
I suppose I've read the challenge differently.  It seems to me that Aquila was complaining that the Shelters seem to make very little difference to the strategy or play of any Kingdom.  These aim to make a big difference.  Hypercube's Sanctuary is a favorite of mine among those Shelters submit thus far, and probably makes the biggest difference on the average board (ignoring raw acceleration that I will cover in one moment).

While Commons is worded poorly, I've come to agreeing, not so much on its overall power, as its general dullness around Dowry. It's neat in that it lets you keep re-trashing Workhouse, but being able to re-use Dowry should be an oddity. I've nerfed it awfully to only swap out for newly gained cards, which has some tricks but not many. I'll probably swap it out for something else.

Hole
Types: Night, Shelter
Stick
Types: Treasure, Shelter
$0. You may trash this to trash a Treasure in play.
Cove
Types: Action, Duration, Shelter
Set aside 2 cards from your hand face down (under this). At the start of your next turn, put them into your hand.
Sanctuary
Types: Night, Shelter
If you have at least $4 unspent, trash this and any number of cards from your hand.
I think players here are vastly underestimating the acceleration of trashing 2 of your worst cards on turns 1\2; Cove in the most swingy fashion because a Turn 2 Cove will be ridiculous.  Like I said, I like Sanctuary, but it should probably trigger on $5, not $4.  If you won't take my word for it, how about Donald X.'s?
Hovel is the only one that changed. Originally it was an action you could trash by discarding your hand. It turned out that trashing it turn 1-2 usually seemed like the correct play, even if you drew it with four Coppers. So that was no good.

Allotments
Types: Victory, Shelter
Cost: $3
˝VP
Lost Place
Types: Action, Shelter
Trash a card from your hand. If it is a Curse: +$2, else gain a differently named card with the same costs.
Players lucking into starting with a $3 card instead of Allotments doesn't sound like a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 08:14:32 pm by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: March 11, 2019, 03:43:10 pm »
+1

I suppose I've read the challenge differently.  It seems to me that Aquila was complaining that the Shelters seem to make very little difference to the strategy or play of any Kingdom.  These aim to make a big difference.  Hypercube's Sanctuary is a favorite of mine among those Shelters submit thus far, and probably makes the biggest difference on the average board (ignoring raw acceleration that I will cover in one moment).
It is possible that the challenge is intended this way. I just don't think the Shelters should influence the strategy a lot as that leads to more boring games (games with those Shelters will always favor a particular strategy, leading to less variety).

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: March 11, 2019, 03:57:44 pm »
+1

I think players here are vastly underestimating the acceleration of trashing 2 of your worst cards on turns 1\2; Cove in the most swingy fashion because a Turn 2 Cove will be ridiculous.  Like I said, I like Sanctuary, but it should probably trigger on $5, not $4.  If you won't take my word for it, how about Donald X.'s?
Hovel is the only one that changed. Originally it was an action you could trash by discarding your hand. It turned out that trashing it turn 1-2 usually seemed like the correct play, even if you drew it with four Coppers. So that was no good.

Turn 2 Cove is good but it means you can't buy anything costing more than $2 that turn (that's why setting aside 2 cards is mandatory). Turn 1 Cove means you could get a nice Sanctuary trash so it's balanced a bit in that way. I did interpret Aquila's challenge to mean strong Shelters are encouraged, so mine are certainly strong.

Sanctuary is my attempt to fix the original version of Hovel. You can trash it in the opening but if you don't do that you can potentially get a much better trash off later. I don't think trashing the Sanctuary will be the right move in the majority of cases.
I have sigs off.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: March 11, 2019, 05:01:39 pm »

Savings
$1
Action-Shelter
+$1
You may play a Savings from your hand.
------------
When you discard this from play, take 1 Debt, and then you may pay off debt.
Drought
$1
Action-Shelter
If you have an Estate set aside, then at the start of your next turn, put this into your hand.
Otherwise, gain an Estate, setting it aside.
-----------------
When you would trash this, discard it instead.
Savings is sort of a mini-Capital. You get two of these to reduce swinginess, guaranteeing either 1 on your $4 opening, or 2 on your $3 opening, or getting a $5 hand anyway. Similar to Baker's setup effect, but you have to pay it off later.

Drought is an annoyance. It is effectively removed from your deck if you can spend an action every turn. This encourages you to go for an engine. If you try to trash it with conventional means, though, it punishes you by putting it back in your deck for the next shuffle. The Estate is a tracking helper to make sure you can't remove it on your first turns.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: March 12, 2019, 01:14:24 am »
+1

Overrun Duchy gives you a benefit if you manage to hold onto it til the end game and might give you an advantage in the duchy split.

Anvil is pretty useless for you for the first few turns, but can give you some card draw in a pinch if you need it.

Allowance can change your opening. If you get it turn 1, you can change from a 4/3 to a 5/2, or a 2/5 to a 3/4. If you get it turn two you can get a happy 4/4 or a 3/5, but then turn 3 is a little bit sad.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 03:40:01 pm by mail-mi »
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: March 12, 2019, 02:46:04 am »

Secret Estate
---
1VP
Yes, +1VP is simpler, but not everyone has Prosperity or Empires. I thought letting it standalone is better.
??? you don't need Prosperity or Empires. As Donald said, you can use any marker, perhaps Euro-Cent? ;)

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: March 12, 2019, 03:51:44 am »

Secret Estate
---
1VP
??? you don't need Prosperity or Empires. As Donald said, you can use any marker, perhaps Euro-Cent? ;)

If the card were to be printed, hypothetically, the hypothetical consumer may not hypothetically have Prosperity or Empires, and may not hypothetically know what +1VP means
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: March 12, 2019, 04:13:41 am »
+4

Ore
Reaction/Shelter - $1*
When you gain a Treasure card, you may trash this to gain a copy of it

Helper
Reaction/Shelter - $1*
When you gain an Action card, you may trash this to gain a copy of it.

Homestead
Reaction/Shelter - $1*
When you gain a Victory card, you may trash this to gain a copy of it onto your deck.

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: March 13, 2019, 03:11:47 pm »

Clergy House
Night-Sanctuary - $1
-
Trash the top card from your deck.

Gingerbread House
Victory-Sanctuary - $1
-
2VP
When you trash this, gain an Estate. When something causes you to reveal this (using the word "reveal"), trash this and gain a Curse.

Hunting Tent
Treasure-Sanctuary - $1
-
When you play this, reveal the top three cards of your deck, then put them back in any order. +$1 for every Action card revealed.

The personal goal here is to create a set of shelters with some interaction with each other. I went through quite a few iterations of all three before settling on these.
  • Clergy House was originally, "Trash the top two cards from your deck." Then I realized that this would be far more advantageous on Turn 1 than Turn 2, when it could actually harm you. Version 0.2 looked like, "Look at the top two cards of your deck. Trash both or put them back in any order," but this still seemed better to have on Turn 1. Edit: After looking into other comments about early trashing, I nerfed Clergy House so that it now automatically trashes your top card. It's still far more preferable to get this in Turn 1 versus Turn 2, I admit, unless you get a Turn 2 Hunting Tent.
  • For Gingerbread House, I debated on whether you get the Estate when you reveal-trash this, but making it so that you only get the Estate when not revealing this got really wordy. For a while, I considered bumping it up to 3VP and not trashing when revealed, but this version stuck.
  • Hunting Tent originally gave you money for revealed Coppers, but this would be far too swingy for early game play. Thus, it changed to Action cards. Turn 2 usage will make it possible to reveal a Turn 1 Action buy and get another $ out of it, so perhaps that makes it too good compared to Turn 1?

Edit 1: This set is really looking swingy, isn't it? A Turn 1 $5 buy means all three Shelters are in Turn 2, which means you use Hunting Tent to reveal and reorder your top three cards, use Clergy House to trash a Copper, and ensure that Gingerbread House doesn't get popped. Furthermore, it will guarantee a Turn 3 use of that $5 card, and if it's an Action, a 50/50 chance of getting $3 instead of $2 for Turn 2. Yeah, I should probably re-evaluate this set.

Edit 2: Any additional feedback is welcome, of course.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:43:33 pm by Tejayes »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: March 13, 2019, 11:27:34 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.