Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547759 times)

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #1450 on: February 24, 2019, 11:00:23 am »

Lost Gold
cost $5
Treasure - Duration

At the start of your next turn, gain a Gold to your hand.

Is it able to post another? If so,
Lost Silver
cost $2
Reaction - Reserve

When you gain a card, you may put this on your Tavern mat from your hand.
--------
At the start of your buy phase, you may discard this from your Tavern mat, to gain a Silver to your hand.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 06:30:26 pm by majiponi »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #20: Unique type combination
« Reply #1451 on: February 24, 2019, 02:35:33 pm »

All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: February 24, 2019, 03:50:01 pm »
+2

I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: February 24, 2019, 04:26:28 pm »
+3

Cauldron
Types: Treasure, Attack, Doom
Cost: $4
$3. When you play this, receive a Hex. If you gain or trash a card this way, each other player gains a Curse.
Buff up your economy for important early-spikes. Give out Curses when dealing with them is worse than Coppers and the random trashing of Locusts and War (I'm sure it happens).
Some probabilities since you might want them:
  • 33% of the time, you give out a curse (Greed, Locusts, Plague, and War make you gain or trash cards).
  • 25% of the time, you are virtually unaffected (Fear, Haunting, and Poverty practically don't matter on the play of a Treasure).
  • 42% of the time, you suffer alone for your $4-Gold (Bad Omens, Delusion, Envy, Famine, and Misery). At least Delusion won't effect your money-spike.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: February 24, 2019, 04:59:27 pm »

I think this might be a bit overpowered for ... Transmogrify costs and has a similar call effect minus the reaction, but also the call effect is less powerful and less flexible. It might work at , though.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: February 24, 2019, 05:02:37 pm »

Evil Wizard
Cost:
Types: Action-Attack-Looter-Doom

Reveal and discard the next Hex. Each other player chooses one: Receive the revealed Hex or gain a Ruins. If more people choose the Hex, +. Otherwise, +2 Cards.

This is ridiculously weak in comparison to Tormentor, Cultist, Witch and Torturer in my opinion. Remember, that it is strictly worse than Cultist, because your opponent can has the choice to receive a situational Hex like Plague, Famine, Fear, Haunting or Poverty instead of gaining the Ruins and you cannot chain Evil Wizards like Cultists.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 05:13:14 pm by King Leon »

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: February 24, 2019, 05:11:21 pm »

Evil Wizard
Cost:

Reveal and discard the next Hex. Each other player chooses one: Receive the revealed Hex or gain a Ruins. If more people choose the Hex, +. Otherwise, +2 Cards.

This is ridiculously weak in comparison to Tormentor, Cultist, Witch and Torturer in my opinion.

My logic was that looking at Attack-Looters and Attack-Doom cards, the weakest ones tended to be , so since this was a combination, it should cost more. But actually I think now it should cost less, because they get to choose which effect they get and which effect you get. Maybe I should change the cost to , and give the player the choice for their effect.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: February 24, 2019, 05:22:51 pm »
+1

Cauldron
$3. When you play this, receive a Hex. If you gain or trash a card this way, each other player gains a Curse.
Buff up your economy for important early-spikes. Give out Curses when dealing with them is worse than Coppers and the random trashing of Locusts and War (I'm sure it happens).
  • 33% of the time, you give out a curse (Greed, Locusts, Plague, and War make you gain or trash cards).
  • 25% of the time, you are virtually unaffected (Fear, Haunting, and Poverty practically don't matter on the play of a Treasure).
  • 42% of the time, you suffer alone for your $4-Gold (Bad Omens, Delusion, Envy, Famine, and Misery). At least Delusion won't effect your money-spike.

Even with the Hex every time you play this, it still seems pretty strong for a $4 Gold. Compare to Contraband and Cache, which are $5 Golds and come with pretty gnarly drawbacks, even with Contraband giving you the +Buy. As you mentioned yourself, one-third of the Hexes will end up Cursing your opponents, while another fourth basically won't affect you at all (and with smart play, Haunting could actually be used to your advantage).

Also, just to be clear with Envy, am I right in assuming the Envious state would take effect on the next turn because, assuming you play Cauldron during your current Buy phase, it has to wait until the start of a Buy phase to take effect?

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: February 24, 2019, 10:59:51 pm »

I think this might be a bit overpowered for ... Transmogrify costs and has a similar call effect minus the reaction, but also the call effect is less powerful and less flexible. It might work at , though.

Transmogrify gains to hand. Reconstruct doesn't.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: February 24, 2019, 11:22:06 pm »

Right. I forgot it gained to hand. Reconstruct seems more reasonable now.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: February 25, 2019, 02:00:55 am »

Lost Gold
cost $5
Treasure - Duration

At the start of your next turn, gain a Gold to your hand.

This is Bag of Gold minus the +1 Action, but + 1 Card in your next turn. I think this could even cost $6.

Promise
Cost: $3*
Types: Treasure - Traveller
+$1.  Reveal the top card of your deck.  If it is a Treasure, play it.  Otherwise, you may discard it or put it back.
-
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Hacksilver.

Interest
Cost: $6*
Types: Treasure - Duration
Now and at the start of each of your turns: +$2, +1Buy.

Promise and Interest are probably overpowered, but maybe I am wrong.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: February 25, 2019, 02:59:57 am »
+1

Promise and Interest are probably overpowered, but maybe I am wrong.

Quite possibly.  I was assuming that it's OK for a traveller other than the initial one to be slightly overpowered for their cost, as they're harder to get, and scarcer.  And the existence of a traveller earlier in the chain which you'd like to hold onto makes getting the later ones seem like they cost more, so that's probably a balancing effect.

That said, I was more worried about Promissory Note :-)

Edit: I meant "quite possibly" they're overpowered, not "quite possibly" you're wrong :-)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: February 25, 2019, 03:44:07 am »

In troubling times, the Quest Giver goes to the Tavern to recruit some heroes.

As a special bonus, this has 3 types, and two of each have never appeared on the same card. It may not need the Gathering type as it does not collect VP, but I figured it makes sense.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #20: different type combo
« Reply #1463 on: February 25, 2019, 04:11:55 am »

Can't get a picture for some reason, so a link will have to do:
Arboretum - Project - Landmark, $8 cost.
When you trash a card, gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.
When scoring, if you bought this, +4VP per set of Estate-Duchy-Province you have.

Edit: made the link tidy.
I think there is no reason for this to have Landmark type.
Because the VP comes only when you buy it and it's not passive to everyone? I've made a new, simpler card to match this:

Racecourse - Project Landmark, $5 cost.
At the start of your turn, you may discard a Treasure for +1 Villager.
-
When scoring,
-1VP per card you have with a + Action amount in its text.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: February 25, 2019, 04:27:08 am »

In troubling times, the Quest Giver goes to the Tavern to recruit some heroes.

As a special bonus, this has 3 types, and two of each have never appeared on the same card. It may not need the Gathering type as it does not collect VP, but I figured it makes sense.

Isn't this useless without trasher? How about letting itself trigger like mine, or reacting something another?

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: February 25, 2019, 12:49:21 pm »

Compared to Wharf and Merchant Ship, Promissory Note is pretty average, but it does not collide and can be played more often.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: February 25, 2019, 02:41:11 pm »

Compared to Wharf and Merchant Ship, Promissory Note is pretty average, but it does not collide and can be played more often.
Promissory Note is non-terminal which makes a huge-difference; it is like Silver and Den of Sin (better as it does not stay out, worse against handsize attacks) in one card.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: February 25, 2019, 03:13:53 pm »

I think I want to change my submission. Maybe...

Ring, Treasure - Doom, 5$
2$
You may discard a card to put this onto your deck.
---
When you gain this, each player (including you) receives the next Hex.

Edit: argh, damn, I forgot the last winner was called Signet Ring... I liked how a ring befitted both the endless circle and the general doom... Ah well, I'll try to think of another name. Medallion? Hourglas? Wait, we already had that, too, right? Hum...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 04:14:32 pm by Asper »

Lurker

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lurker
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: February 26, 2019, 09:56:28 am »
+2

Here's my serious submission:
Portage, Night - Reserve, $4
Put this on your Tavern mat.
   -------------------------
At the start of your buy phase, you
may call this for +1 Buy, +$1, and
Action cards cost $1 less, but not
less than $0.

Think of it as a Quarry variant - it's useful for building but not for a greening mega-turn. This is to prevent every game from playing out like Bridge - Royal Carriage. The night type makes it non-terminal and delays its use for at least a turn, but the + buy and the ability to line them up together should be pretty powerful for acquiring a bunch of components or threatening piles.

This one is just for fun:
Sir Donald, Night - Attack - Knight, $5
Each other player reveals the top
2 cards of his deck, trashes one
of them costing from $3 to $6,
and discards the rest. If a Knight is
trashed by this, trash this card.
   ---------------------------
This is gained to your hand
(instead of your discard pile).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 10:11:00 am by Lurker »

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: February 26, 2019, 06:22:22 pm »
+1

Cauldron

Even with the Hex every time you play this, it still seems pretty strong for a $4 Gold. Compare to Contraband and Cache, which are $5 Golds and come with pretty gnarly drawbacks, even with Contraband giving you the +Buy. As you mentioned yourself, one-third of the Hexes will end up Cursing your opponents, while another fourth basically won't affect you at all (and with smart play, Haunting could actually be used to your advantage).

Also, just to be clear with Envy, am I right in assuming the Envious state would take effect on the next turn because, assuming you play Cauldron during your current Buy phase, it has to wait until the start of a Buy phase to take effect?

I agree with Tejayes, but I really like this idea.  Sounds fun.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: February 26, 2019, 09:38:54 pm »
+1

With Dividends, you get back what you put in, literally.  A Treasure-Duration, Dividends is a Silver the turn you play it and lets you save as many or as few Treasures as you like from your hand for next turn, along with an extra Buy.  Obviously, setting aside Treasures means you're reducing your buying power this turn, but you're also keeping those stop cards out of your deck for a turn which is usually beneficial.  Like Gear or Courtyard, this can help smooth your price points, tucking away extra cash for later.  Finally, playing Treasures at the start of your turn can create some neat tricks with certain Kingdom cards. 

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: February 26, 2019, 11:15:55 pm »
+1

Evil Wizard
Cost:

Edited version (the old one was way too weak):
Cost:

Choose one: +2 Cards or +. Reveal and discard the next Hex. Each other player chooses one: Receive the revealed Hex or gain a Ruins.

Is this edited version better?

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: February 27, 2019, 02:13:44 am »

Evil Wizard
Cost:

Edited version (the old one was way too weak):
Cost:

Choose one: +2 Cards or +. Reveal and discard the next Hex. Each other player chooses one: Receive the revealed Hex or gain a Ruins.

Is this edited version better?

Yes, it is totally fine!

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: February 27, 2019, 12:45:10 pm »
+3

Here's my Night - Traveller line.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: February 28, 2019, 07:31:45 am »

Cauldron

Contraband gives you a +Buy which needs to accelerate you sufficiently that you don't care about not being able to buy something, while Cache gives you a one-time drawback of Coppers, and both are considered among the worst $5 cards in the game.  Contraband would probably only survive a second edition because naming stuff is fun.  Cauldron hits you with Hexes of random efficacy every time you play it.  The Cursing is mostly to soften the blow of how otherwise devastating War and Locusts can be.  A Cauldron without the Attack would be as bad as Cursed Gold and would probably never be bought, let alone if it cost $5.

You are correct.  The Envious and Deluded States trigger "at the start of your Buy phase," which has already passed by the time Cauldron gives it to you.

Truffle Pig
Cost: $6
Types: Treasure, Duration
$1. At the start of your next turn, +$2, then put this into your hand, then trash a card from your hand.
I think the repeating trashing is neat, but at a cost of $6 it might be a frustratingly swingy card. Players will miss or hit it on turns 3\4 with fairly little control.  It is certainly strong enough to cost $6, but a cost of $5 might be healthier.

Pelt
Cost: $2
Types: Treasure, Traveller
+$1. You may discard a Victory card from your hand for +1 Buy.
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Promise.

Promise
+$1.  Reveal the top card of your deck.  If it is a Treasure, play it.  Otherwise, you may discard it or put it back.
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Hacksilver.

Hacksilver
Cost: $4*
+2 Coffers
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Promissory Note.

Promissory Note
Cost: $5*
+$2.  Draw two more cards for your next hand.
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for an Interest.

Interest
Types: Treasure, Duration
Now and at the start of each of your turns: +$2, +1 Buy.
I'd worry that whenever this is relevant, it will just be a race for 2 or 3 Interests.  Teacher and Champion both rely quite strongly on other Action cards, while Interest is a fairly static source of economy.

Vagabond
Types: Night, Traveller
Cost: $2
Trash a card from your hand.
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Burglar.

Burglar
Types: Night, Attack, Traveller
+1 Coffers. Gain a Treasure costing up to $4. Each other player discards a Treasure (or reveals a hand with no Treasures).
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Wanted Criminal.

Wanted Criminal
Cost: $4*
Reveal a card costing up to $6 from your hand. Either each other player gains a copy of it, or you do, your choice.
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Crime Lord.

Crime Lord
Cost: $5*
+3 Coffers. Each other player takes their -$1 token.
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for an Underground Market.

Underground Market
Types: Night, Duration
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: +1 Buy.
While this is in play, cards cost $1 less on your turns.
Between both Traveller lines, +Buys like +Coffers, so I like that you can get them from separate parts of their lines.  I like Underground Market more since +Buys also combo with cost reduction (though it should mention that cards can't cost less than $0).  I'm not sure that I like Vagabond or Wanted Criminal very much though.  Vagabond is a trasher that can deal with itself in largely the way Raze does, so it helps you speed up exchanging the Traveller (as opposed to Peasant which is pretty slow and Page whose Treasure Hunter and Hero actively slow you down).  Wanted Criminal can combo with Underground Market to gain Provinces, and otherwise I think is mostly a wild game accelerator since you can use it to pile multiplayer games out super easily.

By the way, does anyone care about the Herbalist tracking issues with Duration Treasures?
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 22 queries.