Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547627 times)

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #1425 on: February 22, 2019, 05:25:25 pm »

Iron Throne by segura
Selecting one blind card rather than any card from your hand weakens Iron Throne way too much for allowing multiple types to make up for it. I don't even think this is as strong as Vassal.
Yeah, it is probably Tribute-level weakish and could get away with costing $4. But the claim that is weaker than Vassal is highy dubious.
Let's be conservative and pick two weak cards on top; with a better card on top Iron Throne would become better relative to Vassal.

Vassal                             Iron Throne
Silver on top           +$2                               +$4
Pearl Diver on top    +1 Card +1 Action +$2      +2 Cards +2 Actions

Iron Throne is better in every instance (although there are of course situations in which you prefer a Conspirator over a Lost City).

The only situation in which Vassal is better is with green on top.

I was thinking about it only allowing Actions for some reason (I blame being sick). It's definitely stronger than Vassal as it is currently.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: February 22, 2019, 05:48:42 pm »
+4

Commission
Types: Action
Cost: $5
+2 Cards. Discard down to 5 cards in hand. You may play an Action from your hand once per card discarded.
Assuming my math is correct, the first Commission only discards one card, which makes Commission just a Lab minus, which makes Commission just a Lab minus in any set that doesn't contain Villages or Villagers. In other sets, however, it's kind of a Fugitive with a bonus, which bumps it up to just strong enough to cost $5. Good job on this one.
You only need to increase your hand size. You can do that with splitters\villagers and terminal draw, but you can also do it with sources of non-terminal draw like Laboratory or Caravan or Stables. When you can increase your handsize, you can have this playing a card 6+ times, you just don't get it for free. It's a lot of fun.

Antechamber
Cost: $2
You may play an Action from your hand. You may reveal an Antechamber from your hand to play it again. If you didn't reveal one, gain a Silver.
The problem with making a minus version of a card that costs $4 or less is that the gap between $2 to $3, $3 to $4, and even $2 to $4 is actually pretty small power-wise. So as a result the minus card become either too close to the original to bother existing, or it becomes so much weaker that it's brokenly weak. This card is the latter.
Desert Throne
Types: Action, Duration
Cost: $3
You may set aside an Action card from your hand under this. At the start of your next turn, play it twice.
See my comment on Antechamber.
While I agree Antechamber is far too weak (playing it on a draw card, hoping to find an Antechamber, and then accidentally gaining a Silver, will feel awful. It should gain a card costing up to $3.), I think Desert Throne is a reasonable, if uninspired implementation of the Duration Throne Room.

Thane
Discard a card. Look through your discard pile. You may play an Action from it twice.
This is effectively a Throne Room that can search your discard pile as well as your hand, which is too strong compared to Throne Room to just cost $1 more. You don't even need to have an Action card in your hand to be able to use Thane effectively!
In a thinner deck it often won't have much of a discard pile to work with. If you're playing something other than an Action from hand, the discard becomes a draw-back. I think this is a pretty smartly designed card and perfectly well priced.

Signet Ring
Type: Treasure
+1 Buy. When you play this, you may discard a card for +$3.
When you gain this, reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action card. Set it aside and then play it three times at the start of your next turn.
King's Court is one of my all-time favorite Dominion cards (when I have it, of course ;).) I also love Hinterlands, which I think this would strangely fit in with very well because of its on-gain effect. Even though Appeal does it too, an on-gain Throne-Room variant has somehow never even crossed my mind, and this implements it gloriously.
I'd like it a lot more if it top-decked the card to marry the top and bottom halves.

Solar
Cost: $3
Choose one: +2 Cards; or play an Action card from your hand, then if the player to your left does not reveal a copy of it, play it again.
... I agree that it would've been much better with +2 Cards as a consolation prize.
Strongly disagree. You often need Throne Room-alikes as +Actions. Having Solar give +2 Cards when missing means that not only would you not get to play your card, but you'd draw 2 Cards dead in a deck that's likely full of Actions (as you need lots of Actions to get Solar to collide with them). This Solar lets you get a shot at those +Actions, but at least only costs 1 card when you miss.

EDIT: Expanded card details for clarity
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 09:39:09 am by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: February 22, 2019, 06:17:25 pm »

Signet Ring by Commodore Chuckles
King's Court is one of my all-time favorite Dominion cards (when I have it, of course ;).) I also love Hinterlands, which I think this would strangely fit in with very well because of its on-gain effect. Even though Appeal does it too, an on-gain Throne-Room variant has somehow never even crossed my mind, and this implements it gloriously.
I'd like it a lot more if it top-decked the card to marry the top and bottom halves.

The idea was to mimic the mechanics of Ghost (one of my favorite cards). If your draw pile is empty, it triggers a shuffle and then plays an Action card that was in your discard pile (could be one you discarded for the +$3, or one you bought before buying the Signet Ring).

Anyway, thank you Gubump! I'm glad you liked my card!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 06:21:31 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: February 22, 2019, 10:11:08 pm »
+1

Oh, I am late!

Tenshukaku
cost $5 - Action
You may play an Action card from your hand twice.
If you have 3 or more Tenshukaku in play (counting this), replay that card.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: February 22, 2019, 11:18:24 pm »

Parade by scott_pilgrim
In most cases, draw up to 6 will be worse than +2 cards, since it's generally easier to have a large handsize than it is to have a small handsize. I don't think players would choose the draw to 6 very often.

This might be true in general, but if you start a turn with e.g. Parade-Parade, then you're drawing 3 cards; plus you might have to do that anyway, to dig for whatever action you wanted to throne. The idea is to self-synergize, but it's still not a one-card engine like Minion because it has to have things to throne in order to make actual progress. Additionally, you can do things like Parade-Parade-[non-drawing payload], draw back up to 6; or with the right support, Parade-Parade-[discard-for-benefit], draw back up.

It could totally still be a bad card, but I just thought I'd clarify the intent since it seems like you may have missed it.

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: February 23, 2019, 02:32:01 am »
+2

How do you guys keep track what card you are talking about.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
#20 weekly design contest (2-23-19)
« Reply #1431 on: February 23, 2019, 01:05:25 pm »
+1

Contest #20: Make a card with at least 2 types that have not appeared together on an official card.
Yes, I'm a sucker for weird type combinations, especially weird color combinations.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: February 23, 2019, 03:19:43 pm »
+1

Ok, let’s try a very unconventional idea of mine. The idea is a card making Upgrade, Remodel, Workshop and similar better as well as providing some protection against Junkers like Mountebank. At least you can use this as a Copper or just a Village variant.

Poltergeist
Type: Night/Reaction
Cost: $1

+1 Villager. Put this on top of your deck.
-
When you would gain a card, you may play this from your hand. If you do, gain a card costing exactly 1 more instead.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 05:43:39 pm by King Leon »

Shard of Honor

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: Shard of Honor
  • Respect: +199
    • View Profile
    • Fan Card Creator
« Reply #1433 on: February 23, 2019, 05:06:37 pm »
+1

Because the color combination is nice and there is still relatively much design space left, I try the next Night hybrid.
Where is the Night/Treasure and the Night/Reserve?

Treant
Type: Night/Victory
Cost: $4

Gain a Night card.
-
Worth 1VP for every 3 Night cards you have (round down).
You might want to check out my own fan-card creations, built with this.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: February 23, 2019, 05:57:22 pm »

Where is the Night/Reserve?
Guardian, Ghost Town, Ghost, Cobbler, Crypt, Den of Sin, Raider

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: February 23, 2019, 06:10:27 pm »
+2

Those are Night/Duration, not Night/Reserve.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: February 23, 2019, 06:27:41 pm »

Those are Night/Duration, not Night/Reserve.

Oh sorry, misread  :-X

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: February 23, 2019, 06:40:15 pm »
+2

A powerful card but it misses the reshuffle it causes. The idea is that it's a bit of a "teacher" card - it seems like it's all upside but you'll start to notice you aren't playing the Anchor all that much.

Rules Clarification: If you don't set aside an Action, the card still stays in play and you get the +1 Buy at the start of your next turn

Edit: Changed it to +$3
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 06:00:26 am by NoMoreFun »

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: February 23, 2019, 06:43:17 pm »

Interesting way to make a very strong card bad with deck-drawing engines, since you play it between drawing and buying...but what's the cost?

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: February 23, 2019, 06:46:20 pm »

Interesting way to make a very strong card bad with deck-drawing engines, since you play it between drawing and buying...but what's the cost?

$5, and I changed it to only set aside Actions (otherwise it being a treasure is quite arbitrary and I don't want it to be able to pull up itself)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 06:48:14 pm by NoMoreFun »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: February 23, 2019, 07:25:17 pm »

Wasteland, Action-Victory-Looter, 4$
Gain a Ruins and play it three times.
---
Worth 1 VP per 2 differently named cards costing 0$ in your deck (round down).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 07:27:42 pm by Asper »

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: February 23, 2019, 08:17:58 pm »

Evil Wizard
Cost:
Types: Action-Attack-Looter-Doom

Reveal and discard the next Hex. Each other player chooses one: Receive the revealed Hex or gain a Ruins. If more people choose the Hex, +. Otherwise, +2 Cards.

Edited version (leaving the old version here because I feel like it):
Cost:
Types: Action-Attack-Looter-Doom

Choose one: +2 Cards or +. Reveal and discard the next Hex. Each other player chooses one: Receive the revealed Hex or gain a Ruins.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 09:41:43 pm by hhelibebcnofnena »
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: February 23, 2019, 08:44:50 pm »

Truffle Pig
Treasure-Duration - $6
-
$1
At the start of your next turn, +$2, then put this into your hand, then trash a card from your hand.

If anyone here reads the manga "Dr. Stone," that was the inspiration for this card. Keep feeding it, and it'll keep finding culinary Gold. Once you run out of feed, just eat the pig.

Any feedback is appreciated, of course.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 05:24:55 pm by Tejayes »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: February 23, 2019, 11:50:00 pm »

A powerful card but it misses the reshuffle it causes. The idea is that it's a bit of a "teacher" card - it seems like it's all upside but you'll start to notice you aren't playing the Anchor all that much.

Rules Clarification: If you don't set aside an Action, the card still stays in play and you get the +1 Buy at the start of your next turn.
I like the idea, but even with the missing-the-shuffle drawback, it seems really strong for $5.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #20: different type combo
« Reply #1444 on: February 24, 2019, 04:13:09 am »

Can't get a picture for some reason, so a link will have to do:
Racecourse - Project Landmark, $5 cost.
At the start of your turn, you may discard a Treasure for +1 Villager.
-
When scoring,
-1VP per card you have with a + Action amount in its text.
Probably a love it or hate it card.

Edit: made the link tidy. Then made a new card; the old one is in the post below.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 04:17:24 am by Aquila »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #20: different type combo
« Reply #1445 on: February 24, 2019, 05:59:56 am »

Can't get a picture for some reason, so a link will have to do:
Arboretum - Project - Landmark, $8 cost.
When you trash a card, gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.
When scoring, if you bought this, +4VP per set of Estate-Duchy-Province you have.

Edit: made the link tidy.
I think there is no reason for this to have Landmark type.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: February 24, 2019, 09:41:07 am »

Rules Clarification: If you don't set aside an Action, the card still stays in play and you get the +1 Buy at the start of your next turn
So this is a non-terminal +$4 this turn and next turn it is similiar to, but arguably better than, +1 Card +1 Action +1 Buy.
I don't see how this being a Duration compensates for such powerful effects (massive payload plus a village) and can easily imagine Colony games in which you often prefer this over Platinum.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: February 24, 2019, 10:30:17 am »
+1

So this is a non-terminal +$4 this turn and next turn it is similiar to, but arguably better than, +1 Card +1 Action +1 Buy.
I don't see how this being a Duration compensates for such powerful effects (massive payload plus a village) and can easily imagine Colony games in which you often prefer this over Platinum.

It's not just that it's a Duration; it's actually guaranteed to miss the re-shuffle, along with whatever action card you play with it. I have no idea whether that's enough to compensate for the powerful effects or not, but it's an interesting idea.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: February 24, 2019, 10:57:15 am »
+4

Sorry, this got a bit out of hand.

Pelt
Cost: $2
Types: Treasure - Traveller
+$1. You may discard a Victory card from your hand for +1 Buy.
-
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Promise.

Promise
Cost: $3*
+$1.  Reveal the top card of your deck.  If it is a Treasure, play it.  Otherwise, you may discard it or put it back.
-
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Hacksilver.

Hacksilver
Cost: $4*
+2 Coffers
-
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Promissory Note.

Promissory Note
Cost: $5*
+$2.  Draw two more cards for your next hand.
-
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for an Interest.

Interest
Cost: $6*
Types: Treasure - Duration
Now and at the start of each of your turns: +$2, +1Buy.

Usual parentheticals apply here - four lots of "This is not in the supply" and one of "This stays in play" - but I omitted them for reasons of space and readability.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 10:59:57 am by spiralstaircase »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: February 24, 2019, 10:59:57 am »
+1

It's not just that it's a Duration; it's actually guaranteed to miss the re-shuffle, along with whatever action card you play with it. I have no idea whether that's enough to compensate for the powerful effects or not, but it's an interesting idea.
That's not precise as it doesn't make any difference whether you set aside the Action card on T1 and then play it on T2 or draw into the Action card on T2 and then play it on T2. So Anchor is the only card can only be played every second turn but who cares, the card is super powerful:
If you have 2 in your deck they consistently net produce +1 Action, +1 Buy, +$4 which is nearly the same as the net production of 2 Grand Markets (+2 Buy, +4$).

I also think that this is the lower bound of its strength; even in a deck which contains many Anchors digging for an Action will usually (unless there are no good Action card in the Kingdoms) be better than +1 Card. I like this design element though, it prevents a monocard strategy (but given that this card provides payload and Actions you need to only add terminal draw to have everything you need).

In short, a card which seems to be similar in strength to Grand Market cannot cost $5. Probably necessary to reduce this to +2$, +3$ is most likely still overpowered.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 11:05:15 am by segura »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 22 queries.