Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546945 times)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #1350 on: February 16, 2019, 12:04:32 am »
+1

There is one massive problem with this though and that's that cattle simply don't exist in Dominion

Why would they not exist? Dominion is just a medieval-ish setting right?

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: February 16, 2019, 01:00:24 am »

Man, I made a throne room variant a long time ago and I'm happy with it, so I don't feel like making another one. But it's not eligible for this contest because I've posted it on fds before...

MattLee

• Spy
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: February 16, 2019, 01:15:48 am »

Man, I made a throne room variant a long time ago and I'm happy with it, so I don't feel like making another one. But it's not eligible for this contest because I've posted it on fds before...

Where does it say that? I read the rules before submiting my entry and didn't see that. I first posted my entry 2 or 3 years ago  :-\

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: February 16, 2019, 02:08:43 am »
+1

Well I think gazbag is one of the few who likes mint. I thought the contest was to replace awful cards. He should of put out a list of the cards he thought was awful. Well I guess the last contest was apples to apples. Deadly is the chosen card for this apples to apples example one player picks world war 2, another picks, bombs, another picks the Tyrannosaurus rex, and another player picks dolphins. The player in charge of this round picks dolphins just cause they love them. In apples to apples you can do that in the game. That’s why the last contest was like apples to apples. It’s kinda hard to come up with a replacement card. If you don’t have a real idea of what to replace. And if I remember correctly one threads gave prosperity as an option. Who new that mint would be one he would like. I’m mostly just disappointed that you like that one, you could of at least mentioned that was one you liked. Then it would of been invalid for your contest and I could of come up with another one.

Sigh! Apples to apples.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: February 16, 2019, 02:28:50 am »

Where does it say that? I read the rules before submiting my entry and didn't see that. I first posted my entry 2 or 3 years ago  :-\
I thought I remember that rule being in the OP, but I checked again and I was wrong. So I guess I'll enter my card:

Royal Heirloom
$5 Action - Duration
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an action card. Put the action card in your hand and discard the rest.
Choose an action card from your hand. Play it now and play it again at the start of your next turn.
It isn't letting me save the image from Violet's card image generator at the moment, and my old image has slightly funky wording so I'll go without an image.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: February 16, 2019, 02:35:06 am »
+2

I thought I remember that rule being in the OP, but I checked again and I was wrong. So I guess I'll enter my card:

Royal Heirloom
$5 Action - Duration
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an action card. Put the action card in your hand and discard the rest.
Choose an action card from your hand. Play it now and play it again at the start of your next turn.
It isn't letting me save the image from Violet's card image generator at the moment, and my old image has slightly funky wording so I'll go without an image.
The contest itself allows it. It was me who disallowed it for my rounds in an attempt to level the field between newbies and experienced fan card designers. That said:

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: February 16, 2019, 02:48:14 am »
+4

Well I think gazbag is one of the few who likes mint. I thought the contest was to replace awful cards. He should of put out a list of the cards he thought was awful. Well I guess the last contest was apples to apples. Deadly is the chosen card for this apples to apples example one player picks world war 2, another picks, bombs, another picks the Tyrannosaurus rex, and another player picks dolphins. The player in charge of this round picks dolphins just cause they love them. In apples to apples you can do that in the game. That’s why the last contest was like apples to apples. It’s kinda hard to come up with a replacement card. If you don’t have a real idea of what to replace. And if I remember correctly one threads gave prosperity as an option. Who new that mint would be one he would like. I’m mostly just disappointed that you like that one, you could of at least mentioned that was one you liked. Then it would of been invalid for your contest and I could of come up with another one.

Sigh! Apples to apples.
I'm afraid your perception does not line up with the facts.
1. Mint is not generally perceived as a badly designed card.
2. Mint is not generally unpopular.

Perhaps Mint is unpopular in your play group. That doesn't mean you can conclude it's unpopular with everyone. You are the outlier here, not Gazbag.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: February 16, 2019, 04:32:28 am »

Collector
Type: Action
Cost: $5

Choose one:
You may put a non-Duration Action, Night or Treasure card from your hand onto your Collector mat. Turn all cards there face-up.
or
Play a card from your Collector mat twice, setting it aside. Return it to your Collector mat face-down when you discard it from play.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 06:33:44 am by King Leon »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: February 16, 2019, 05:31:31 am »

I think a lot has already been done with the design space of Throne Room+ for $5. So here is an attempt at a Throne Room-:

You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: February 16, 2019, 05:48:51 am »
+7

Can I be boring and put a card here I posted only a week or so ago? This I feel opens up the potential for fun decks, even though it's just Throne Room but a bit more flexible.

Collector
Type: Action

Choose one:
Put a card from your hand onto your Collector mat and turn all cards there face-up.
or
Play a face-up Treasure, Night or Action from your Collector mat twice and, if it is still in play, return it face-down.
As I read this, there's a lot of potential for tracking issues, especially Durations. Play a Hireling twice, put it back, do it sometime later, and you have to remember how many cards you're drawing each turn. Would it be better returning things face-down to the mat when they would leave play?
And this can trim the deck too... Slowly though, so it might be fine here.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: February 16, 2019, 06:27:15 am »

As I read this, there's a lot of potential for tracking issues, especially Durations. Play a Hireling twice, put it back, do it sometime later, and you have to remember how many cards you're drawing each turn. Would it be better returning things face-down to the mat when they would leave play?
And this can trim the deck too... Slowly though, so it might be fine here.

Thank you for your remarks. I tried to fix it, hoping that it is not too wordy. It is now not longer possible to „Island“ Estates and Curses and there are no tracking issues with Durations anymore.

And yes, the Duration subtype on that card is just a hack to prevent issues with collecting or necromancing Collectors. It is white and not not orange, because it actually has no Duration effect.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 06:40:55 am by King Leon »

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: February 16, 2019, 06:32:41 am »

There is one massive problem with this though and that's that cattle simply don't exist in Dominion

More cards have Pixies in the art than cattle. Not your average medieval setting!

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: February 16, 2019, 09:06:09 am »

More cards have Pixies in the art than cattle. Not your average medieval setting!

So it's medieval plus magic. Where does minus cows come into the equation?

Sigh! Apples to apples.

Perhaps Mint is unpopular in your play group. That doesn't mean you can conclude it's unpopular with everyone. You are the outlier here, not Gazbag.

Given other comments I've seen from you, I suspect the reason you dislike Mint is because it forces you to trash things when you buy it. That is, in fact, the main strength of the card.

Regardless, I suppose you have the right to be annoyed that other contestants knew what cards were generally perceived to be duds while you didn't. At the same time, posting an explicit list of cards to use at the beginning would have made the contest less fun, so... sorry. I guess that particular contest was geared towards people who come here a lot.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 09:13:41 am by Commodore Chuckles »

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: February 16, 2019, 09:18:26 am »

I think I've posted this somewhere a long long time ago, but I think I still like this idea:

Name: Parade
Types: Action
Choose one: Play an action card from your hand twice, or draw until you have 6 cards in hand.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: February 16, 2019, 09:23:05 am »
+1

So it's medieval plus magic. Where does minus cows come into the equation?

It was just a silly joke because there are very few cows shown on Dominion cards, I believe the oxen things on Silk Road are the only ones. It had no effect on how I actually judged the cards if that wasn't obvious.

Sigh! Apples to apples.

Given other comments I've seen from you, I suspect the reason you dislike Mint is because it forces you to trash things when you buy it. That is, in fact, the main strength of the card.

Regardless, I suppose you have the right to be annoyed that other contestants knew what cards were generally perceived to be duds while you didn't. At the same time, posting an explicit list of cards to use at the beginning would have made the contest less fun, so... sorry. I guess that particular contest was geared towards people who come here a lot.

Even if I did think that Mint was a card that should be removed the card was literally just Mint with some extra things on top for $6 so wasn't the most creative entry anyway.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 09:27:22 am by Gazbag »

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: February 16, 2019, 11:27:12 am »
+2

Eyre
Cost: $4
Types: Action, Duration, Victory

You may set aside a Victory card from your hand under this card.  At the start of your next turn, +1 Action, and discard all cards under this card.
-
At the end of the game, if this was in play, add up the worth of all the cards that were under this card. This is worth that amount.

It's Throne Room, but for Victory cards!  It only lasts one turn, so you have to time it well; it can be used to tip yourself over the edge, or to stop your opponent from ending the game.  If you don't, well, at least you get your Action back so you can play one again next turn.  I suppose on a board with no Villages, you might even buy it for that, but probably not.

It counts all the cards under itself in case you use Throne Room on it.  I was going to specify that it had to be a non-Eyre card, but since that Eyre wouldn't have any cards under it, you'd just end up doubling nothing, which... sure, go right ahead.

(I've just seen that "victory" should be capitalised.  I may go back and fix it at some point.)

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: February 16, 2019, 11:30:51 am »
+1

There is one massive problem with this though and that's that cattle simply don't exist in Dominion (Silk Road is inconclusive) so this card needs a major thematic overhaul.

I don't appreciate Gazbag trying to discourage creativity and innovation in card design.  >:( :P
I have sigs off.

Lurker

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lurker
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #19: Design a Throne Room variant
« Reply #1367 on: February 16, 2019, 12:24:17 pm »

Landgravine
$5 Action
Turn your journey token over (it starts face up). Then if it's face down, +1 Card and +1 Action. If it's face up, you may play an Action card from your hand three times.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 12:25:46 pm by Lurker »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: February 16, 2019, 12:50:06 pm »

Eyre
Cost: $4
Types: Action, Duration, Victory

You may set aside a Victory card from your hand under this card.  At the start of your next turn, +1 Action, and discard all cards under this card.
-
At the end of the game, if this was in play, add up the worth of all the cards that were under this card. This is worth that amount.

It's Throne Room, but for Victory cards!  It only lasts one turn, so you have to time it well; it can be used to tip yourself over the edge, or to stop your opponent from ending the game.  If you don't, well, at least you get your Action back so you can play one again next turn.  I suppose on a board with no Villages, you might even buy it for that, but probably not.

It counts all the cards under itself in case you use Throne Room on it.  I was going to specify that it had to be a non-Eyre card, but since that Eyre wouldn't have any cards under it, you'd just end up doubling nothing, which... sure, go right ahead.

(I've just seen that "victory" should be capitalised.  I may go back and fix it at some point.)

I've been considering the idea of a Throne Room for Victory cards as well. The problem in the context of this contest though is that it doesn't strictly count as a Throne Room variant because it's not playing another card. Still, props for coming up with a way to make this work; this is better than the idea I had. It needs a better peripheral benefit than a delayed Ruined Village though; as it is now it's too weak.

And now I'm considering the parameters of this contest some more. Do the entries have to play a card more than once, or are cards like Vassal and Golem also allowed?

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: February 16, 2019, 12:52:55 pm »
+3

Do the entries have to play a card more than once, or are cards like Vassal and Golem also allowed?

The entries have to double or more a singular copy. I would count Eyre (although it is a bit of a stretch), but I would not count Vassal or Golem. The doubling doesn't have to be immediate, though, so I would consider Scepter a valid Throne Room variant as well.

I edited my OP to say that from now on, just explain why you consider your card a TR variant if it isn't otherwise obvious.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 01:03:20 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: February 16, 2019, 05:21:32 pm »

It needs a better peripheral benefit than a delayed Ruined Village though; as it is now it's too weak.

I think it's a delayed Necropolis, but yes, it is weak.  I wanted there to be something, but for a $4 card that could net you 8VP, it had to be something weak.

Shard of Honor

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: Shard of Honor
  • Respect: +199
    • View Profile
    • Fan Card Creator
« Reply #1371 on: February 16, 2019, 06:27:35 pm »
+5

A delayed throne room. It takes some time to travel there, but that tent hall is not as expensive as the original one built from stone.
You might want to check out my own fan-card creations, built with this.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: February 16, 2019, 09:22:14 pm »
+2

Dining Room
Type: Event
Cost:

The first time you play an Action card next turn, play it again afterwards.

I was going to make this a project, but then I realized that Citadel already exists...
I figured it should cost 2 because it only gets used once, whereas Throne Room gets used many times.
Alternatively, it could cost (maybe?) and be a King's Court, but that's a different card.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 11:46:14 pm by hhelibebcnofnena »
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: February 16, 2019, 11:23:38 pm »

It needs a better peripheral benefit than a delayed Ruined Village though; as it is now it's too weak.

I think it's a delayed Necropolis, but yes, it is weak.  I wanted there to be something, but for a $4 card that could net you 8VP, it had to be something weak.

I suppose it does give it a Necropolis-like effect at the start of your turn, but overall it's a delayed Ruined Village, because it uses up an action this turn and then gives it back to you next turn.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 11:24:59 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: February 17, 2019, 12:03:15 am »

Well I definitely thought my souped up mint was better than the original, and making it cost $6 would at least keep the newbies to prosperity from making a grave first buy. As good as you all say mint is, none of you Guys would make the mistake of buying it in the first rounds. Mint is one of the few cards costing 5$ you would never buy first. But whatever.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 327  All

Page created in 1.305 seconds with 21 queries.