Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546468 times)

d

• Pawn
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #1225 on: January 28, 2019, 04:51:55 pm »
+3

If you enjoy both Scrabble and Dominion, then you may enjoy Currency.  Novices could find it swingy, but with experience these cards bring another dimension.

Setup: After dealing starting hands, replace the Copper supply pile with the Currency supply pile (98 cards, price $0, pays $1, Treasure-Victory-Currency)

Each Currency card has a letter.  Your objective is to collect a set of Currency cards (by the game end) to spell the name of any of the 514 Dominion cards.  Your Currency cards can be reused to spell out new card names.

The first letter of each Currency card name matches the Scrabble letter on the card: Auksinas; Baht; Colon; Dollar; Escudo; Franc; Gulden; Hryvnia etc

Scoring: Currency cards provide Victory Points are the half of the sum of the Scrabble points for the spelled card names (rounded down).

I made a spreadsheet that easily calculates your VPs (at game end) based on the letters on all of your Currency cards.  I'm not sure how to upload the spreadsheet, but more than happy to share it.  I had to rename Candlestick Maker (to Candlemaker), Black Market (to Schwarzmarkt), Skulk (to Assassin) and Piazza (to Square) since you can't spell these words using the 98 letters in Scrabble.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: January 28, 2019, 08:06:44 pm »

Amusing idea, but the card names were never supposed to be a part of the game mechanics, so it doesn't work as an "orthodox" fan card, if that matters.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: January 29, 2019, 07:47:17 pm »
+2

And here is, what you all were waiting for:

mail-mi - Tarnished Cards - Curse replacement
This suggestion is interesting and the cards seem to be balanced at the first glance. The Fortress effect makes it more difficult to get rid of them. I really love it that each kingdom challenges you find new counters against or synergies with the individual Tarnished cards. For example, you could use Tunnels to counter Tarnished Armor or Loan to neutralize Tarnished Gift and Tarnished Blade can help you to get rid of Stewards, Sea Hags, Materpieces or other poor cards. Definitively a pile for experienced players with much potential in any kingdom.

Asper - Supporters - Bonus cantrips for gaining Provinces
Ok, this is no final submission, but man, let’s give Asper a chance nonetheless. Ok, I think, that Duchess would have gone through as a Basic card. But Duchess was a total fail, because she is a terminal. Hey, she is useful in Duchy slogs and accelerates for a 3-pile ending, but that’s all. Asper, however, came up with the idea to have cantrips as rewards for Provinces and that’s really nice. And they are a separate pile, which does not count the the game ending. This makes even larger engines possible. But - wait! Asper’s idea comes with Tournament’s first-come-first-served flavor. So, while another player is setting up a combo, you can shine with a free cantrip Coppersmith, which comes with your early Province. This makes the game much more exciting.

sprialsteircase - Gruel - junk card, gives a bonus for gaining and trashing
This card continues the idea of the never-released Confusion card in a new and charming way. Converting a Workshop into a Silver+ and if you have +Buys left, you can convert them to $1. That’s even better, if you anyway need some extra fodder for obligatory trashers like Rats, Trade Route or Forager. Because trashing also gives +Buy, you can even buy another Gruel for $1 and so on. As a Kingdom Card this would never have a chance, but as a Basic Card, it is just amazing.

NoMoreFun - Repairs - Jack of all Trades light
Often, Attack cards like Witch or Ghost Ship are so game-dominating, that other potentially interesting strategies are completely outclassed. Repairs ensures that Attack cards always come with a Jack “light”. The non-terminal draw-to-5 option seems to be too strong for a $2 card, but I assume, that costs $2 for the same reason like Chapel, to ensure, that 5/2 players are not disadvantaged to 4/3 players. While Repairs can weaken the aftereffects of Attacks, it does not really fix the problem of missing deck diversity in presence of strong attacks. Double Witch becomes just Double Witch + Repairs. Thus, this card is still just a drop in the ocean.

Commodore Chuckles - Components - Combinable cards
This was the first idea, I was curios about. Instead of Silvers, you can buy three components to combine them to $5 or $6 cards. This is especially nice with the extra +Buy of Poach. This keeps your deck lean and smooth. However, it is difficult to get three Components into your hand, that’s why the got their specific bonuses. Wheel draws 2 cards and makes Component line-ups much easier, Pulley helps you with buying additional Components and Pulley gives you more buying power, so that you often can buy a $4 or $5 card instead of another component or a Silver, when you trash Pulley and two other components from your hand. Spring is just poor, a Necropolis us much worse compared to the other options. But I realized that these cards are somehow not very appealing to me. I don’t like that they are mixed and that they go to the Trash after use. 4 separate piles and a replacing Spring’s +2 Action with vanilla cantrip would be better better in my opinion.

4est - Deed - Pile-blocking gainer or Supply trashing Copper
Once I had a similar idea of a pile-blocking card, but it was a single card and started on the Province pile. It was okay, but also pointlessy throttling the game. Here, we have even one card per player. 4est, however, did something new. He / She has succeeded in designing that card in manner, that it does not slow the game to much down, because it comes with an in-built-Salt-the-Earth, which may be used to get rid of other Deeds or Provinces. I also like the concept to create much more opening-possibilities. when you also play with the Dark Ages shelters, this should replace Hovel, because Overgrown Estate has more combos (for example Shepherd). Overall a very solid concept.

Fragasnap - Jinx, Curio, Heretic - Curse alternatives
Honestly, I liked the Tarnished cards more, because they are more puzzling. If good trashers are in the kingdom, Jinx and Co. don’t add much more value to the game. Giving the player the choice to select their Curse slows Attacks down. So does the Reaction card Jinx. Heretic also seems to be only rarely usable. All in all, I am not very happy with these cards. Sorry, but mail-mi did this just better.

Gazbag - Boat - one-shot Lab as reward for having Copper, Silver and Gold
That card is interesting, but it also looks a bit swingy. Copper, Silver and Gold are always available but I can’t imagine, that investment into hand management to get that special Treasure card line-up for is really worth just a one-shot Lab. The biggest problem is the big random component. Dominon should not have such moody mechanics.

Aquila - Tasks - individual quests
An unused idea with huge potential. The rules are simple and easy to understand. Tasks cost $2, only one at once. That’s it. Self-explaining. Humans like small achievements and this mini-expansion invites casual and experienced players to evaluate themselves and find creative ways to fulfill them. Each kingdom provides other possibilities and each player has the choice: Doing an easy task with a small or a hard task with a high reward.

Chappy7 - Charity and Contribution - Once-per-game events to reduce start hand advantages
As I wrote before, I interpret these Events as one-time States. Considering the focus on creativity, novelty and originality, I feel that this cards don’t add much value to the game. Baker and 4est’s Deed do this better.

herw - Principality and County - vanilla Victory cards with Potion costs
Principality and County are very simple. Vanilla victory cards with a $3 difference are a good target for Rebuild. However, Principality is too similar to Vineyard in my opinion. There is not much difference between P and $2P. (Yes, I would sometimes even pay $4P for a Vineyard, if there is no +Buy in the kingdom), because the number of Potion cards you can buy, depends on the number of potions in your deck. If you have 10 cards and one of them is a Potion, you can buy a Potion card in every two turns. More than 1 Potion increases the probability of a collosion, which can cost you the win, if you are unlucky. Potion decks utilize fast deck cycles with cards like Scrying Pool, Golem and Alchemist and like non-terminals (e.g. Familiar > Witch and University > Workshop). These cards not only cost a Potion, but also help to draw your potion more often. That means, that Potion decks usually already have a lot of Action cards. I see no really reason, why Principality should be preferred over Vineyard. The same problem for County. You can just buy a Silver or a Gold instead of the Potion to get to $8, which is even easier that to get $5P. But hey, this is your 50th post. Keep going on! Your idea is not a RBCI, but other contest participants had just more innovative ideas.

d - Currency - Scrabble crossover
This idea shifts Dominion to a complete other game. While this is an innovative and creative submission, I think this would have been better off in Challenge #6. This card has several problems with its randomness, translation issues and it also forces very long games where players try to gain as many Currency as possible and then buy all the Duchies and Estates. Solemnly I award you the extra ribbon for the most creative out-of-competition submission.

Results (Hugh it’s almost 2 am here, I have to go to bed now!)

Winner: Aquila with Tasks
Runner-up: mail-mi with Tarnished Cards

Congratulations!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 08:08:46 pm by King Leon »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: January 30, 2019, 03:21:05 am »
+3

Wow great, wasn't expecting that! Thanks, and thanks for all the careful analysis you put into everyone's entries here.
Running out of good contest ideas now... The split pile one seemed to be quite popular, perhaps let's go down this route again?

Contest #17: split pile with two different cards in it, a pure Action and a pure Night card.
And everything else I leave open to you. Try to make a fun pile that adds something new to the game. And just because one card is a Night doesn't mean I'd like to see Nocturne themed/flavoured cards, actually I'd rather not.

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: January 30, 2019, 05:20:40 am »

[...]
herw - Principality and County - vanilla Victory cards with Potion costs
[...] But hey, this is your 50th post. Keep going on! Your idea is not a RBCI, but other contest participants had just more innovative ideas.
[...]

What does RBCI mean?

RBCI
Acronym   Definition
RBCI   Radio Based Combat Identification
RBCI   Robin Boundary Condition Iteration (numerical method)
RBCI   Royal Bank of Canada Investments
RBCI   Rosemary Brennan Curtin, Inc. (Boise, ID)
RBCI   Red Blood Cell Indices
RBCI   Rectenwald Brothers Construction Inc. (Cranberry Township, PA)

BTW in german Dominion Forum i have 1331 posts, more than Asper ;) which doesn't mean that i am a good designer.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 05:22:42 am by herw »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: January 30, 2019, 05:28:41 am »

RBCI:
Really Bad Card Idea. References a thread of the same name.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: January 30, 2019, 06:16:45 am »

Contest #17: split pile with two different cards in it, a pure Action and a pure Night card.
And everything else I leave open to you. Try to make a fun pile that adds something new to the game. And just because one card is a Night doesn't mean I'd like to see Nocturne themed/flavoured cards, actually I'd rather not.
How pure should they be? Do you want that Action/Night is their only type, or is stuff like Duration/Attack/Gathering etc. allowed?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: January 30, 2019, 06:35:17 am »

How pure should they be? Do you want that Action/Night is their only type, or is stuff like Duration/Attack/Gathering etc. allowed?
pure means the only type i think
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 06:37:29 am by herw »

Shard of Honor

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: Shard of Honor
  • Respect: +199
    • View Profile
    • Fan Card Creator
« Reply #1233 on: January 30, 2019, 07:37:49 am »
+4

Great challenge! I particularly like split piles  :)

Dynamite is great for blowing up Estates, but not so useful for Coppers.
Dwarf is a sifter that likes digging for dark places and might get you a Gold and a nice in the end, if you manage to hit him with Dynamite.

Dynamite Cost: $3 - Type: Night
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $1 more than it.
Dwarf Cost: $4 - Type: Action
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck, put all Night cards in your hand and discard the rest.
When you trash this, gain a Gold.

Edit: Removed the "This is gained to your hand" clause of Dynamite.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 06:19:39 pm by Shard of Honor »
You might want to check out my own fan-card creations, built with this.

Aquila

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: January 30, 2019, 07:55:45 am »

One card is just the Action type, the other just the Night type. Mainly I wanted to avoid Action/Treasure, Action/Night or Treasure/Night cards, and this was the simplest way I could think to implement this. Shard of Honor's entry is just fine.

I'll add this as well, as with last time the two cards should have a definite synergy, but one not doing too much or the cards be too dependent on each other.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: January 30, 2019, 08:10:58 am »
+2

Dwarf is a sifter that likes digging for dark places and might get you a Gold and a nice in the end, if you manage to hit him with Dynamite.
I like that Dynamite can set off a chain reaction if you have multiple Estates in hand. But it seems strange thematically that you are rewarded for blowing up your Dwarves...
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Shard of Honor

• Thief
    • View Profile
    • Fan Card Creator
« Reply #1236 on: January 30, 2019, 08:28:54 am »
+1

I like that Dynamite can set off a chain reaction if you have multiple Estates in hand. But it seems strange thematically that you are rewarded for blowing up your Dwarves...
Thanks! Yeah, not the best choice. I thought of the card text first and then searched for names. Maybe these dwarves are just clumsy in mining or I find a better name until the end.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: January 30, 2019, 09:19:35 am »

Thematically it's nice that Dynamite can set off a chain of Dynamites, but I'd be worried that it's too strong. If you luck into Silver, Copper, Estate, Estate, Estate on turn 3 or 4, that's just huge; and the other player doesn't have the ability to do the same thing because there's only 5 Dynamites.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: January 30, 2019, 09:26:48 am »
+1

I don't see why on a $3 opening hand you wouldn't always (aside from specific circumstances such as Shepherd) open Dynamite, trash one Estate for another Dynamite and trash the 2nd Estate for whatever $3 card you were going to get anyway.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: January 30, 2019, 09:30:38 am »
+4

I think all those problems could be fixed if dynamite wasn't gained to your hand. Or maybe with the clause "when you buy this, gain it to your hand." That way you can only chain one.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Shard of Honor

• Thief
    • View Profile
    • Fan Card Creator
« Reply #1240 on: January 30, 2019, 09:48:57 am »
+3

You all are right. Thanks for the feedback!

The chain reaction sounded fun at first glance, but is to strong and luck dependent (especially for only 5 cards in a split pile).

I'll keep it simple and remove the "gain to your hand" clause.

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: January 30, 2019, 10:38:54 am »

Gazbag - Boat - one-shot Lab as reward for having Copper, Silver and Gold
That card is interesting, but it also looks a bit swingy. Copper, Silver and Gold are always available but I can’t imagine, that investment into hand management to get that special Treasure card line-up for is really worth just a one-shot Lab. The biggest problem is the big random component. Dominon should not have such moody mechanics.

Aquila - Tasks - individual quests
An unused idea with huge potential. The rules are simple and easy to understand. Tasks cost $2, only one at once. That’s it. Self-explaining. Humans like small achievements and this mini-expansion invites casual and experienced players to evaluate themselves and find creative ways to fulfill them. Each kingdom provides other possibilities and each player has the choice: Doing an easy task with a small or a hard task with a high reward.

Can anyone explain to me why my design was called swingy and moody (I'm not sure what that means in this context to be honest) where as Aquila's designs, which I think are very similar in concept weren't given similar criticism? I'm not trying to take anything away from Aquila here and I don't think I deserved to win or anything, I just genuinely don't understand why I got panned so much here for such a similar concept to the winner.

Aquila

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: January 30, 2019, 11:53:28 am »
+3

Can anyone explain to me why my design was called swingy and moody (I'm not sure what that means in this context to be honest) where as Aquila's designs, which I think are very similar in concept weren't given similar criticism? I'm not trying to take anything away from Aquila here and I don't think I deserved to win or anything, I just genuinely don't understand why I got panned so much here for such a similar concept to the winner.
Yeah, Boats could basically be a task (not necessarily $2 cost) with objective to line up Copper, Silver and Gold in hand, reward gain a Boat. I guess fulfilling the objective can be quite swingy, or too much down to chance sometimes, and King Leon felt the reward wasn't good enough. This one 'Task' by itself he felt was bad, but the Task concept he liked? And maybe having a choice of Task to go for helps the chance factor as you can avoid the risky ones.
Certainly some of the Tasks I put up could be too chance based too often, and I'll have to refine them so they aren't.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: January 30, 2019, 01:25:32 pm »
+1

Nice competition. Let’s give it a try.

Bear/Bull
This pile starts the game with 5 copies of Bear on top, then 5 copies of Bull. Only the top card of the pile can be gained or bought.

Bear
Type: Night
Cost: $3

+2 Actions
Return to your Action Phase.

Bull
Type: Action
Cost: $4

+1 Buy
Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 05:48:59 pm by King Leon »

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: January 30, 2019, 02:06:27 pm »

5 Night Circus on top and 5 Performers below. I tried to put more effort into the theme this time and avoided Nocturne themes as requested, but don't ask me why a few performers are more expensive than an entire circus. I wanted Performers to be vanilla because I think Night Circus is a bit complicated for a split pile card, it doesn't draw so you can use Night Circuses to draw instead.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: January 30, 2019, 06:25:29 pm »

5 Night Circus on top and 5 Performers below. I tried to put more effort into the theme this time and avoided Nocturne themes as requested, but don't ask me why a few performers are more expensive than an entire circus. I wanted Performers to be vanilla because I think Night Circus is a bit complicated for a split pile card, it doesn't draw so you can use Night Circuses to draw instead.

Interesting, but two things:

1. Wouldn't Night Circus have to be a Duration? And actually, even if it is a Duration choosing multiple +cards could be difficult to track.
2. I'm also worried that Night Circus would be rather weak. In the beginning you're relying on it not to be drawn with an Action card, or otherwise you have to make an unpleasant choice.

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: January 30, 2019, 07:14:41 pm »

Interesting, but two things:

1. Wouldn't Night Circus have to be a Duration? And actually, even if it is a Duration choosing multiple +cards could be difficult to track.
2. I'm also worried that Night Circus would be rather weak. In the beginning you're relying on it not to be drawn with an Action card, or otherwise you have to make an unpleasant choice.

Yeah the rules of this challenge say it can't be a Duration so it draws at end of turn instead of the start of the next turn to try and cheat around that, I don't love it but I'd say it doesn't need to be Duration, what do others think? There aren't that many effects that are relevant in the Night phase unfortunately, especially with attacks ruled out as well.

It isn't really any different to a terminal action apart from you can open 2 Night Markets and then you don't have to worry about collision. I tried to balance the card as if it was terminal in the opening, it only costs $2 and the trashing option is pretty good but I could totally believe that I didn't go far enough, maybe it should draw 2 cards per action?

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: January 30, 2019, 09:29:40 pm »
+2

You all are right. Thanks for the feedback!

The chain reaction sounded fun at first glance, but is to strong and luck dependent (especially for only 5 cards in a split pile).

I'll keep it simple and remove the "gain to your hand" clause.

You could also fix it by having it trash itself. And maybe add on a Potion cost or some other alternate Treasure.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: January 31, 2019, 01:34:33 am »

It would be easier to track if Night Circus says: „or set the top card from yor deck aside and add it to your hand at the end of your (next) Clean-up phase“. In the unlikely case that you gain  cards in your Night phase after playing this card and trigger a reshuffle or have the -1 Card token, this behavior is slightly different, though.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 01:35:48 am by King Leon »

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: February 01, 2019, 12:29:21 am »

A man who runs around at night keeping the streets clean of criminals, doing a service to the other townsfolk, then is only mild mannered locksmith by day.

I borrowed Priest's effect only with villagers instead of coins.  It sounds like fun on a Smithy variant
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.