Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546963 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #1200 on: January 23, 2019, 03:15:37 am »

Scientific society (Asper)
$5, 2 cards 1 action when gain gain Duchy.

So you effectively make your Duchies cantrips with this. Quite clever how this probably can still cost $5, $6 may be safer, though this really can put pile emptying pressure on; even if not a focused rush it's never wrong to get this whenever you need Duchies. Possibly more so with 2 players where the last 2 Societies are labs. So more negative than positive influence, I fear.
I don't get what the problem is with a card that costs as much as Lab sometimes being a Lab in the end game (where a Lab doesn't help you as much anymore, anyway). Also, I'm surprised you focused solely on the Cantrip-Duchy reading, when this can also be seen as a Lab with a penalty (that can be turned into a bonus with discard- or trash-for-benefit).

Edit: I will admit that I didn't consider pile draining enough, though. That remark of yours is spot-on.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 03:17:57 am by Asper »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: January 23, 2019, 03:48:03 am »
+2

I just realized that I could technically submit a variant of my Power Grid Landmark for this contest. (Technically, see end of the post)

Supporters
A bunch of Prize-like unique cards that you can choose one from when you gain a Province. Each is a cantrip with a bonus. Like, let's say:

• +1$
  • Provinces cost 2$ less this turn, but not less than 0$.
  • When you gain this, each other player gains a Curse.
  • Lab instead of cantrip. /When you gain this, each other player draws a card.
  • No effect besides cantrip, but costs 8$.
  • +3 Actions instead of +1 Action.
  • Discard a card. / When you would gain this, first set aside the Province you gained until the end of the game.
  • +2 Buys
  • When you gain this, gain a Gold.
  • Warehouse instead of cantrip
  • Coppers produce 1$ more this turn.
  • Gain a card costing up to 4$.

While it was fun thinking these up (and they turned out slightly different than the Power Grid stuff) I'll try to think of something new for this round. If I can't think of anything else, I'll sit this one out.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 03:49:05 am by Asper »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: January 23, 2019, 05:08:35 am »
+1

Potion is definitely a Basic card, even if it is nearly worthless, if no cards with Potion costs are in the Kingdom. It has no other dependencies and can be added to every game.

Platinum, Colony, Shelters and Ruins can also technically be used in every game, even if the rules do not recommend this. They are usable without any dependencies, so I also count them as Basic cards.
I don't see how that excludes Heirlooms though. You can still use Heirlooms without the card that gives them if you want to. It's not in the rules that you can do this, but then, neither is adding Potion to a board with no Potion-costs.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: January 23, 2019, 05:51:14 am »
+2

Gruel
Cost: $0
Types: Gruel
When you gain this in your turn, + $2, +2 Actions.
When you trash this in your turn, + $2, +1 Buy.

A card you could buy, but probably wouldn't.  I'm thinking that there would be a class of cards, Orphans, who care about and cause you to add Gruel the way Looters do for Ruins.  But other cards would care too - any gainer, TFB, or source of +Buy would work with these.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: January 23, 2019, 08:38:00 am »

Tarnished Blade Cost $0
+1 Action
Trash a card costing at least $3 from your hand to trash this card.
--
If this card was not in play when you trashed it, put it into your hand
--
Worth -1 VP
Action - Curse

The meaning of the italicized text is unclear. Does it mean "When you trash this, if it was not in play, put it in your hand"?

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: January 23, 2019, 08:51:16 am »

Tarnished Blade Cost $0
+1 Action
Trash a card costing at least $3 from your hand to trash this card.
--
If this card was not in play when you trashed it, put it into your hand
--
Worth -1 VP
Action - Curse

The meaning of the italicized text is unclear. Does it mean "When you trash this, if it was not in play, put it in your hand"?

Yes.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Shard of Honor

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: Shard of Honor
  • Respect: +199
    • View Profile
    • Fan Card Creator
« Reply #1206 on: January 23, 2019, 12:00:56 pm »
+1

I hope the intent of these cards is clear: they are Curses that can trash themselves...but the only way you can trash them is the way they tell you to. Chapel won't help you against these Curses.
Just asking to clarify my understanding:
If failing to fulfil the trash condition while playing a Tarnished Card, I assume it stays in play normally?
Is it then intended to be possible to trash it via Improve?
If yes, interesting corner case synergy.
Anyway, I like the idea of having a different kind of curses.
You might want to check out my own fan-card creations, built with this.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: January 23, 2019, 12:03:04 pm »
+1

I hope the intent of these cards is clear: they are Curses that can trash themselves...but the only way you can trash them is the way they tell you to. Chapel won't help you against these Curses.
Just asking to clarify my understanding:
If failing to fulfil the trash condition while playing a Tarnished Card, I assume it stays in play normally?
Is it then intended to be possible to trash it via Improve?
If yes, interesting corner case synergy.
Anyway, I like the idea of having a different kind of curses.

Yes, it would. So if you have no cards and play Tarnished Armor, then play improve, you would be able to trash it from play. Cool edge case.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: January 23, 2019, 01:03:43 pm »

Potion is definitely a Basic card, even if it is nearly worthless, if no cards with Potion costs are in the Kingdom. It has no other dependencies and can be added to every game.

Platinum, Colony, Shelters and Ruins can also technically be used in every game, even if the rules do not recommend this. They are usable without any dependencies, so I also count them as Basic cards.
I don't see how that excludes Heirlooms though. You can still use Heirlooms without the card that gives them if you want to. It's not in the rules that you can do this, but then, neither is adding Potion to a board with no Potion-costs.

The reason to exclude Heirlooms is, that we already have seven Heirlooms (but only seven starting Coppers) and  Heirlooms are made to utilize a specific Kingdom card. For example, Pasture is specifically designed for Shepherd. A starting deck manipulating card similarly to Heirlooms and Shelters would be fine, though. By the way, Potion comes in the Base Cards set, so it is an official Basic card.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 05:00:13 pm by King Leon »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: January 23, 2019, 03:59:58 pm »
+3

Repairs
Action - $2
+1 Action
Choose one:
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action or Treasure, then put all revealed cards in your hand; or
Draw until you have 5 cards in hand; or
Trash a card from your hand and gain a Copper to your hand.

Rules: Add this pile to games with an Attack card.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: January 23, 2019, 10:25:19 pm »
+3

The Component pile is mixed in the same way the Ruins pile is. The Mechanic type would add the pile to the supply.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: January 23, 2019, 11:35:22 pm »
+2

Deed is a Shelter so it replaces one of your starting Estates, and it's a Treasure that offers a choice between a one-shot Workshop that then temporarily "blocks" that pile until it is gained or trashed, or a Copper that trashes the top card of any pile.  Like Baker or Cursed Gold, it allows for non-standard openings, and while the first option can create some turn order advantage in certain situations, the second option can help mitigate it.  Having them go to the Supply can create some interesting choices (do I buy their Deed or trash it to gain what's underneath), and their ability to pressure piles a la Salt the Earth or Lurker might make them worth keeping around in some games.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: January 24, 2019, 07:11:17 am »
+1

This is part of a fan expansion I made but haven't done a lot of testing and playing with yet.
In games using any cards from (this fan expansion), replace half of the Curse pile with Jinxes and the other half with one of Curios, Heretics, or ***. These cards are both part of the same pile and can be gained or bought in any order.
Jinxes, Curios, Heretics, and *** (one other Curse I'm not happy with) offer an option for alternative Curses that side-steps the type\name issue by removing the card named Curse from the game. Unlike the Knights\Ruins pile, and unlike split piles, the variant Curses are not in a randomized or organized pile, but a pile that offers access to its complete contents at any time. All Jinxes and Curios\Heretics\*** must be removed from the pile to count as an empty pile.

Jinx
Types: Curse, Reaction
-1VP
When you gain a Curse, you may discard this. If you do, +2 Cards.
Curio
Types: Treasure, Curse
Cost: $2
$1, +1 Buy
-2VP
Heretic
Types: Action, Curse
+2 Actions
-2VP
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: January 24, 2019, 09:10:53 am »

In games using any cards from (this fan expansion), replace half of the Curse pile with Jinxes and the other half with one of Curios, Heretics, or ***. These cards are both part of the same pile and can be gained or bought in any order.

Who decides which Curse is gained? If I play Witch, do I get to choose whether I hand out Jinxes or say, Heretics? Or does the person being Cursed make the call?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: January 24, 2019, 11:27:36 am »
+1

Who decides which Curse is gained? If I play Witch, do I get to choose whether I hand out Jinxes or say, Heretics? Or does the person being Cursed make the call?
I'd assume the cursed person does, because they are told to gain "a Curse" (or "a Curse card", which I would argue means the same - see "an Action" vs "an Action card", each on several cards). It's actually quite similar to Prizes in that the Prize pile also has no particular order.
Exceptions would be cards like Swindler or Ambassador, obviously.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: January 24, 2019, 11:30:06 am »
+1

Does this fit the brief? I envision cards that give out Boats but you could also use Boat on its own, perhaps there would be a Boat randomiser that makes use Boat in addition to the 10 kingdom cards.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: January 24, 2019, 12:08:46 pm »
+4

Tasks
A pile of landscape cards; they all cost $2, but don't use up a buy. When you buy one, you put it in front of you; it has an Objective for you to meet, and as soon as you do, you get a Reward and put the card back in the pile. No need to shuffle the pile, players can freely look through it and pick one or more. Only one Task allowed at once.
Being landscapes, they can't enter the deck or have their costs reduced. Possibly means this idea disqualifies? These don't have to be attached to any mechanic, just include them whenever, but a type on Actions could help ensure more of the Tasks can actually be done. (In reality, I may include this idea in my Dynasties set so they would be included if there are 2 or more kingdom cards from the set selected).

8 ideas for Tasks here, probably 2 of each in the pile?
Purge
Objective: Discard 5 or more cards on your turn not during Clean-up.
Reward: draw to 6 cards in hand.
Escape
Objective: trash a card with no-one revealing a copy (when a card is trashed, players may reveal a copy from their hand).
Reward: 4VP.
Seize
Objective: gain 3 or more cards on your turn.
Reward: 2VP.
Collect
Objective: get $15 or more during your turn
Reward: 2VP.
Compete
Objective: reveal a hand of 5 or more differently named cards
Reward: 2 Coffers 2 Villagers.
Plot
Objective: at the start of your turn, guess the top card of your deck correctly (name it, then reveal the card).
Reward: +3 Cards.
Register
Objective: have 5 differently costed cards in play
Reward: + $4
Capture
Objective: start your Buy phase with 2 or more Actions left
Reward: gain a card onto your deck costing up to $5.

Just a first draft that explains the premise. Nice one-offs you can work toward sometimes, extra engine options other times.
Edit: rule of one Task at a time only, was meant to be there but forgot
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 05:50:07 pm by Aquila »

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: January 24, 2019, 02:10:06 pm »

These are meant to smooth out those games where a start is a huge advantage, or vice versa. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 02:25:08 pm by Chappy7 »

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: January 24, 2019, 06:07:10 pm »
+1

Does this fit the brief? I envision cards that give out Boats but you could also use Boat on its own, perhaps there would be a Boat randomiser that makes use Boat in addition to the 10 kingdom cards.

I would say, this card counts as a Basic card. It only depends on other Basic cards. Also, a not-in-the-supply card with a special gain requirement and a return-to-pile mechanic would be to awkward for a regular kingdom card.

These are meant to smooth out those games where a start is a huge advantage, or vice versa.

This contest's topic is about Basic cards. Events and Landmarks are just rule changers (my subcategory of card-shaped things, because these cards change the rules, but you can never own them). For example, Delvecan be described as a new rule, which says „Silver costs $2 and does not consume a buy.“ This is pretty similar to this card.

Maybe you could change your idea to a State or a Shelter-like card, every player starts with. This would also make it easier to track, who already used that effect.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 06:42:47 pm by King Leon »

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: January 26, 2019, 05:08:24 pm »

I would say, this card counts as a Basic card. It only depends on other Basic cards. Also, a not-in-the-supply card with a special gain requirement and a return-to-pile mechanic would be to awkward for a regular kingdom card.

This contest's topic is about Basic cards. Events and Landmarks are just rule changers (my subcategory of card-shaped things, because these cards change the rules, but you can never own them). For example, Delvecan be described as a new rule, which says „Silver costs $2 and does not consume a buy.“ This is pretty similar to this card.

Maybe you could change your idea to a State or a Shelter-like card, every player starts with. This would also make it easier to track, who already used that effect.

I would, but I don't think we can have another shelter like thing or heirloom like thing since there are already 3 and 7 respectively.  I like my idea, but I can't quite think of how to make it more of a basic card.  I'll probably just bow out and try again on the next one.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: January 26, 2019, 06:53:15 pm »
+2

I would, but I don't think we can have another shelter like thing or heirloom like thing since there are already 3 and 7 respectively.
It kinda bugs me that people keep saying stuff like this. There's no reason we can't have more heirloom or shelter type things. If you want to play with all of the cards with heirlooms in one kingdom, just choose one or more heirlooms to exclude so that you have no more than 7 copper-replacements. How hard is that?
(Do you really want to play with cursed gold anyway?)

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: January 26, 2019, 07:05:29 pm »

I would, but I don't think we can have another shelter like thing or heirloom like thing since there are already 3 and 7 respectively.  I like my idea, but I can't quite think of how to make it more of a basic card.  I'll probably just bow out and try again on the next one.

You don't have to give up. Your idea is nice, but I still have a question. Does „once per game“ mean, that only one player can use that card or each player once? In the first case, I would interpret your idea as a buyable Artifact, in the second case, each player starts with a State, which is turned over after use.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 07:06:57 pm by King Leon »

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: January 26, 2019, 11:43:14 pm »
+1

You don't have to give up. Your idea is nice, but I still have a question. Does „once per game“ mean, that only one player can use that card or each player once? In the first case, I would interpret your idea as a buyable Artifact, in the second case, each player starts with a State, which is turned over after use.

The idea was each player got to use each one once.  So I guess a state could work.  I thought about making it an heirloom type thing, but I don't want a weird start to be possible if you get it in your hand plus 4 coppers

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: January 28, 2019, 01:21:44 am »

Reminder, that the contest will end in about 40 hours.

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #16: new Basic card
« Reply #1224 on: January 28, 2019, 03:40:14 am »
+5

If you like to play with Alchemy, here is an addition:

An empty County supply pile ends the game.

You should use minimum three kingdom cards from Alchemy or Alchemy-like cards.
These two victory cards may be an addition (my favourite) to Duchy and Province or an alternative.

I know, that i come in for criticism but i try ;)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 07:01:45 am by herw »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 21 queries.