Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546781 times)

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #1175 on: January 18, 2019, 04:49:00 pm »
+2

Bailiff
Type: Action
Cost: $5

+2 Cards
+1 Buy
Reveal your hand.
+ $2 per Duchy in your hand.

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: January 18, 2019, 11:59:49 pm »
+1

Lots of points for cheap, but clogs up your next hand and even your whole deck.

Kind of similar to my Meadow, except that one gains an Estate instead of putting the Duchy on your deck (and is slightly more flexible with alt-VP). Not complaining, just, uh, informing.

It's also very similar to my entry...

I looked at Meadow and hypercube's entry. You're both right. It's very similar to both of them.

It's based on a card idea called Jungle that I came up with 2 years ago and posted on Reddit (The thread still exists, but the card is deleted.) I don't know what else to say. Sorry?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: January 19, 2019, 06:31:53 am »

Kind of similar to my Meadow, except that one gains an Estate instead of putting the Duchy on your deck (and is slightly more flexible with alt-VP). Not complaining, just, uh, informing.

I looked at Meadow and hypercube's entry. You're both right. It's very similar to both of them.

It's based on a card idea called Jungle that I came up with 2 years ago and posted on Reddit (The thread still exists, but the card is deleted.) I don't know what else to say. Sorry?

Don't worry, as LostPhoenix said, it's not exactly an overly complicated base idea to think of, and your card is different in several ways. For instance, unlike with Meadow, you can't end the game just by depleting this pile. And it's not like I submitted Meadow this round. No harm done, at least speaking for myself.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: January 19, 2019, 09:43:57 am »

Don't worry, as LostPhoenix said, it's not exactly an overly complicated base idea to think of, and your card is different in several ways. For instance, unlike with Meadow, you can't end the game just by depleting this pile. And it's not like I submitted Meadow this round. No harm done, at least speaking for myself.

This idea has arguably appeared in the actual game with Sprawling Castle.

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: January 19, 2019, 02:03:33 pm »

Don't worry about it -- I figured it was just an oversight, but it's kind of eerie how close they are. Mirage was my attempt to fix up this RBCI into something playable.
I have sigs off.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: January 21, 2019, 02:57:58 am »

24 hours left

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: January 21, 2019, 09:19:50 am »

Pilgrim
Types: Action, Duration
Cost: $4
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal 5 cards that are Actions or Treasures. Put up to 2 of them into your hand, the others on top of your deck in any order, and discard the rest. At the start of your next turn: You may reveal a hand with no Victory cards in it. If you do, gain a Duchy.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: January 21, 2019, 11:28:57 am »

24 hours left

You totally missed your chance to post this image instead:

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: January 21, 2019, 08:45:38 pm »
+2

Because time’s almost up and I’m out of ideas:
Land Grant (Event, cost $6)
+1 VP
Gain a Duchy

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: January 22, 2019, 02:12:34 am »
+1

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: January 22, 2019, 02:49:16 am »

I like this idea, but I don't think it should have +buy on it, or if it does, it should cost more.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: January 22, 2019, 04:49:56 am »
+3

Fingers away from keyboards, because the end is nigh.

Another good job well done, everyone. The rankings we see done on the forums and Discord show that most real cards that involve Duchies aren't very viable that often, namely Duke, Duchess and Annex. Count isn't so bad. So is a ‘high rank card’ involving Duchies possible? Whether it is or isn't, it's a design space that all your entries have covered nicely. Lots of similarities as has been observed, but that likely reflects the narrowness of the space.
So the entries. Sorry if I come across a bit boring…

Investment (gubump)
$5, Treasure $2 +buy, when gain gain Duchy.

This, Scientific Society and Jungle all follow the same premise, so all can empty 2 piles out of 3 quite quickly. Investment seems to be quite similar to IGG like this, with more point gain potential and easy Estate emptying in exchange for less consistency to get $5. Gaining it more casually, there are ups and downs to getting this whenever you would get a Duchy, and it's not the best choice for economy, same coin density as Copper. Overall, I can't say anything really excites me about this.

Scientific society (Asper)
$5, 2 cards 1 action when gain gain Duchy.

So you effectively make your Duchies cantrips with this. Quite clever how this probably can still cost $5, $6 may be safer, though this really can put pile emptying pressure on; even if not a focused rush it's never wrong to get this whenever you need Duchies. Possibly more so with 2 players where the last 2 Societies are labs. So more negative than positive influence, I fear.

Mirage (hypercube)
$5, event gain Duchy onto deck, if you do 2VP.

5VP for $5 is a great deal compared with 6VP for $8, so it could be more hotly contested than Provinces even with the slow down, but seeing that empty Duchies aren't an end condition but rather this strengthens Duchies to being an alt VP slog strategy, it should make for a welcome game changer. Simple, and either effective or too strong. Couldn't say without some testing.

Archduke (segura)
8 debt, cantrip gain Duchy, on gain hand onto deck in any order.

This is certainly meant to be late game only with the debt, that’s nice. In the right situation it's a cantrip gain a $5 so it really can pay off. The on-gain effect, being on a debt card so always accessible, can have its own timely uses so can add reason to put it into your deck, as well as add a little self anti-synergy. It's not bad at all, I quite like it.

Architect (Gazbag)
$4, gain a $4 or a Duchy.

It is actually quite interesting in being a gainer that changes role going late. But I suppose that's all, as you suggest.

Countess (spiralstaircase)
$4, Reaction, +Action +Buy, when would gain a card may discard this to instead choose one of Count bonuses.

There is something going for making a gain into a Duchy instead, and converting extra buys into other things. However, it can be a Chapel on first shuffle, that later provides economy, then later Duchies, without any of Count’s setbacks, just a need for a second copy or other +buys. It feels very strong indeed.

Cultivation (Commodore Chuckles)
Trash card from hand, gain up to a $6 that shares type. In games using this, Duchies are also Actions that can be played for +2 Actions.

Duchies make for engine pieces, and this can help assemble an engine, the estates into Necropoli and Coppers into Gold, leaving you to buy the Actions. Unlike Altar the estates can't turn into good pieces, but they retain a VP purpose. It’s possibly on the strong side, but a fun package.

High council (4est)
$5, Choose: reveal Duchy from hand for +4 Cards; discard Duchy for +Buy +$5; or gain Duchy.

It makes an early Duchy exciting, great, but can get it itself. So overall it looks rather strong, giving both big draw and big $ and buy together as well.

Marriage game (Faust)
Project, $8, at start of buy phase may discard Duchy to gain Duchy, when buy gain Duchy.

Firstly, I would definitely rethink the theme! Morals, and also how is it a project? That aside, instead of getting a Province once you set up better Duchy dancing for later. So there is some good thought involved in when to get this, unlike citadel it isn't always best as the first $8 I wouldn't think. It feels like a good design.

Birthright (d)
$7, event, trash Duchy from hand, set aside prize that Duchies Inherit.

Reusing prizes isn't a bad idea. Each player gets a unique effect on their Duchies; this can feel fun but in practice probably isn't, if one Prize stands out as strong in the game (like Princess when there are no other +buys) then everyone could rush to get Birthright getting early Duchies and it can be a bitter taste for the losers. Some of the prizes are designed to stay just at one copy, like Followers, though you do get few of them. And there are 5 prizes, so not ideal for 6 player games.

Astrologer (libraryadventurer)
Night duration, $4, reveal card from discard and onto deck, if Victory +1 VP +1 Coffers. Next turn may discard card for Silver or 2 cards for Duchy.

Gets away with infinite VP potential for also giving Coffers and Silvers. There will nearly always be something in the discard, and overall makes for a payload card that first gets silvers then can go to Duchies with small hands and Coffers. Top-decked greens are discarded next turn. Very different, lots of little uses yet makes overall sense. It's good, but lacks excitement somehow.

Jungle (kru5h)
Victory, $6, 2VP, when gain gain Duchy onto deck.

This seems to be less about pile emptying than the first two, it's entirely about greening. It can't be rushed so easily. And it's rather hard to not compare it to Mirage; the latter has no added speed pressure, but this could be better balanced, which is hard to call. It comes down to personal preference here...

Proprietor (MattLee)
Reaction, $2, discard a card, everyone draws to 6. When another player gains game ending card, may discard this for Duchy.

The on-play bit feels quite nice, you can use it for draw situationally and plays after the first won't usually give a card away. Still, the Reaction is the more relevant part to this contest, and it feels sort of tacked on; it's such a narrow window for it to work in, what if it's not in hand then? So this might be nicer as a non-terminal for this reason, you can increase your odds by safely collecting more.

Blight (NoMoreFun)
Attack, $4, +2 cards each other player with 5+ cards returns one to Supply, gains one costing at most $2 less onto deck. If don't gain a card gain Curse onto deck. Replace starting victories with Duchies.

This is an innovative way to use Duchies! Though with the Duchy pile being all but empty most of the time, this will not only induce quite significant point swings but also lengthen game time. It all feels quite a lot for $4 with 2 Cards, a must buy pretty much, which is going to get rather oppressive.

Bailiff (King Leon)
$5, +2 cards +buy, reveal hand +$2 per Duchy.

Often this reveal hand for bonus format can get too strong with repeated plays. But Duchies are a convincing target, it becomes an entire deck strategy that still needs support. Unlike High Council you need to buy up some early Duchies too, so it's probably not only rewarding in game context but also rewarding to play it right. Another good one.

Pilgrim (Fragasnap)
$4, Duration, Reveal from deck until 5 actions or treasures, put up to 2 in hand, put others back, discard rest. Next turn may reveal hand of no victories for Duchy.

This is quite a powerful draw, especially if you only have 5 other actions or treasures. Or it guarantees a Duchy next turn. Victories can be sifted through easily, so the Duchy gain is easy to take. It's quite easy to make a golden deck rotating two of these. It's doing plenty and is a fairly nice late game card that's not bad early, just...something is taking excitement away? I think it's all that revealing.

Land Grant (MrHiTech)
Event, $6, +1VP gain Duchy.

A 4VP card for $6. That's not as efficient as Provinces yet more efficient than Duchies so bang on, but it doesn't add much. Mirage makes things a bit more exciting.

Conquer (Chappy7)
Event, $2 +buy, trash Duchy to gain Province.

Budget Provinces that are a bit easier to get than paying straight $7. Maybe too easy; if you only need $5s and $2s to reach Provinces you don't have to build up much.

Shortlist: Mirage, Archduke, Cultivation, Marriage Game, Astrologer, Bailiff, Pilgrim.

Runner-up: Mirage by hypercube.
Winner: Bailiff by King Leon.

The convincing reason Bailiff gives to get Duchies early adds to the game more than the other entries, I felt. A different judge would choose a different winner I'm sure, because they're all great in their own way. Congrats!

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: January 22, 2019, 12:24:49 pm »
+2

Thank you a lot. My card actually started as a joke to make Scout better. Then I felt, it is a great into the Duchy runs and it really is.

So, be prepared to

Contest #16: new Basic card
Design a new Basic card, which can be added to the game independently of any expansions. This may be a new Supply pile, a card for the player’s starting deck or even a totally new mechanic. In this contest, I will put my focus on creativity, novelty and originality. Good success.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 12:26:09 pm by King Leon »

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: January 22, 2019, 12:25:15 pm »

I like this idea, but I don't think it should have +buy on it, or if it does, it should cost more.

You very well could be right.  My thought process was that in order for it to work, you already have to have a duchy or two clogging up your deck in order for it to work.  That is part of the price.  That being said, it still may need to cost more.  The +Buy needs to stay imo.  Otherwise, you'll have to wait until that duchy is finally in your hand, and then if there are no other +Buys, you have to choose between upgrading your Duchy or buying an engine piece.  I like the flexibility the +Buy gives so you can upgrade your Duchy almost anytime it comes up. 

I know the contest is done, but would you think 3 is a high enough cost? I still want to keep this card around in my fan card collection.

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: January 22, 2019, 12:28:51 pm »

Thank you a lot. My card actually started as a joke to make Scout better. Then I felt, it is a great into the Duchy runs and it really is.

So, be prepared to

Design a new Basic card, which can be added to the game independently of any expansions. This may be a new Supply pile, a card for the player’s starting deck or even a totally new mechanic. In this contest, I will put my focus on creativity, novelty and originality. Good success.

By basic card are you referring to things like Province and Copper? Things that are in the kingdom but not Kingdom cards?

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: January 22, 2019, 12:43:32 pm »

By basic card are you referring to things like Province and Copper? Things that are in the kingdom but not Kingdom cards?
Totally correct. I am referring to cards like Copper, Curse, Potion, Colony or Ruins. They can be in the Supply, but this is not required. Shelters are Basic cards, but not in the Supply.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 12:47:43 pm by King Leon »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: January 22, 2019, 12:59:09 pm »
+1

Totally correct. I am referring to cards like Copper, Curse, Potion, Colony or Ruins. They can be in the Supply, but this is not required. Shelters are Basic cards, but not in the Supply.

Perhaps a comprehensive way of defining it could be "cards that, when used, do not count as one of the ten kingdom cards chosen for each game".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: January 22, 2019, 01:01:18 pm »

What about Heirlooms?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: January 22, 2019, 01:52:57 pm »

What about Heirlooms?
Heirlooms are no Basic cards, because they always come with another Kingdom card. Same for Spoils. There are also already 7 Heirlooms, but you only start with 7 Copper, so there is no space for an additional Heirloom. However, an eleventh starting card would be fine.

In contrast to Spoils, I consider Ruins as Basic cards, because they are obtainable, even if nobody plays a Looter.

So, I define a Basic card as a card, which is always obtainable (as long the Supply lasts) without the need of another card (other than Treasure cards, of course), either in the starting deck, in the Supply or via a new mechanic. For example, a Promissory Note card would count as new mechanic.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 01:58:40 pm by King Leon »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: January 22, 2019, 03:13:35 pm »

I consider Ruins as Basic cards, because they are obtainable, even if nobody plays a Looter.

So, I define a Basic card as a card, which is always obtainable (as long the Supply lasts) without the need of another card (other than Treasure cards, of course), either in the starting deck, in the Supply or via a new mechanic. For example, a Promissory Note card would count as new mechanic.
By your definition of "Basic cards", Ruins are not Basic cards as they are only in the Supply if Looters are in the Kingdom. Or I am confused about it.

The challenge sounds cool but I think that it either needs a more clear definition or be more lacksadasical about what counts as "Basic card".

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: January 22, 2019, 03:37:18 pm »
+1

I consider Ruins as Basic cards, because they are obtainable, even if nobody plays a Looter.

By your definition of "Basic cards", Ruins are not Basic cards as they are only in the Supply if Looters are in the Kingdom. Or I am confused about it.

The challenge sounds cool but I think that it either needs a more clear definition or be more lacksadasical about what counts as "Basic card".

You can get Ruins without playing a Looter though, which makes them significantly different from Spoils. To think of it another way, you could easily choose to simply play with Ruins in any game you want. It would be a house rule if there were no Looters, but you could still do that. If you chose to play with Spoils in a game with no Spoiler-gainers, then it would be exactly like not playing with them, because there would be no way to ever gain one.

Similarly Colony rules says you can only use Colony in games with at least one card from Prosperity (at least it did in first edition); but there's no reason you can't use Colony in any game at all.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 03:39:00 pm by GendoIkari »

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: January 22, 2019, 04:04:14 pm »

You can get Ruins without playing a Looter though, which makes them significantly different from Spoils. To think of it another way, you could easily choose to simply play with Ruins in any game you want. It would be a house rule if there were no Looters, but you could still do that. If you chose to play with Spoils in a game with no Spoiler-gainers, then it would be exactly like not playing with them, because there would be no way to ever gain one.

Similarly Colony rules says you can only use Colony in games with at least one card from Prosperity (at least it did in first edition); but there's no reason you can't use Colony in any game at all.

Exactly this is, what I meant. Prizes are no Basic cards, because they are technically only obtainable with Tournament. Spoils depend on Bandit Camp, Marauder or Pillage: No Basic card. Zombies are an edge case, because they could also be retrieved by Graverobber or Lurker (which appeared before Nocturne) but because they are specifically designed to be a payload for Necromancer, they also disqualify for being a Basic card. Spirits are clearly not available without the corresponding Nocturne cards, so they are also no Basic cards.

Potion is definitely a Basic card, even if it is nearly worthless, if no cards with Potion costs are in the Kingdom. It has no other dependencies and can be added to every game.

Platinum, Colony, Shelters and Ruins can also technically be used in every game, even if the rules do not recommend this. They are usable without any dependencies, so I also count them as Basic cards.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: January 22, 2019, 04:09:05 pm »
+1

I have an idea, will post it later. Tagging the thread for now.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: January 23, 2019, 01:28:46 am »

[...]
wow, that's a real mammoth task. I'm curious about all proposals.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: January 23, 2019, 02:04:01 am »
+2

Tarnished Cards

The Tarnished Cards replace the Curse cards in a game using a card with the subtype "Tarnisher" (or any time you want to replace the curses). There are 5 different Tarnished cards, and there are 10 of each. They are set up exactly like the Ruins pile.

Tarnished Blade Cost $0
+1 Action
Trash a card costing at least $3 from your hand to trash this card.
--
When you trash this, if it was not in play, put it into your hand.
--
Worth -1 VP
Action - Curse

Tarnished Armor Cost $0
+1 Action
Discard 2 cards to trash this card.
--
--
Worth -1 VP
Action - Curse

Tarnished Fortune Cost $0
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a Victory or Curse card. Put that card on top of your deck and discard the rest to trash this card.
--
--
Worth -1 VP
Action - Curse

Tarnished Gift Cost $0
+1 Action
Gain a Copper to the top of your deck to trash this card.
--
--
Worth -1 VP
Action - Curse

Tarnished Maps Cost $0
+1 Action
The player to your left looks at the top 3 cards of your deck, discards any number of them, and puts the rest back in any order. If they do, trash this card.
--
--
Worth -1 VP
Action - Curse

I hope the intent of these cards is clear: they are Curses that can trash themselves...but the only way you can trash them is the way they tell you to. Chapel won't help you against these Curses.

Edit: clarified the wording
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 12:04:22 pm by mail-mi »
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.