Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546437 times)

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +444
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #1075 on: January 04, 2019, 12:37:58 pm »
+1

All the talk of the Island mat having no rules associated with it reminded me of a different mat:

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: January 04, 2019, 01:55:00 pm »

All the talk of the Island mat having no rules associated with it reminded me of a different mat:

Not sure I like the idea of a card that functions completely differently in games that have Native Village in it vs games that don't have Native Village in it.

I mean, one could argue that most real cards function differently in games with King's Court vs games without King's Court... but this is far more explicit.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: January 04, 2019, 11:37:57 pm »
+1

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: January 04, 2019, 11:50:13 pm »

Why is this a Treasure? If it's just so that it can't be drawn dead, that doesn't seem like a good enough reason to me.

Also, I think better wording for the bottom would be: "When you buy this, you may pay $1 to flip your Journey token over." It might not count as the same mechanic from Guilds then, but as it is it's already arguably not the same.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: January 05, 2019, 02:10:50 am »

The wording and play mechanism can be simplified with simply "trash an Action or Treasure card you have in play". It's identical the vast majority of the time, but a lot easier to use (don't have to remember to do something later in the turn), and less wordy.

Except Duration cards exist, so Shaman would create tracking issues if it trashed those before they left play.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: January 05, 2019, 11:08:22 am »

Why is this a Treasure? If it's just so that it can't be drawn dead, that doesn't seem like a good enough reason to me.

Also, I think better wording for the bottom would be: "When you buy this, you may pay $1 to flip your Journey token over." It might not count as the same mechanic from Guilds then, but as it is it's already arguably not the same.

Is it possible to overpay by ?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: January 05, 2019, 03:39:47 pm »
+1

Is it possible to overpay by ?

Yes. You can overpay for Stonemason to gain two appropriate cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: January 06, 2019, 11:09:44 am »

The wording and play mechanism can be simplified with simply "trash an Action or Treasure card you have in play". It's identical the vast majority of the time, but a lot easier to use (don't have to remember to do something later in the turn), and less wordy.

Except Duration cards exist, so Shaman would create tracking issues if it trashed those before they left play.

Bonfire lets you trash durations you played this turn. And with Capitalism now, there's a bunch of ways to have Durations leave play the turn you played them (Mint, Mandarin, etc). And I think it would be extremely rare that someone would trash a Duration to Shaman.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: January 06, 2019, 12:06:01 pm »

So, if I'm not mistaken, I'll have to pick a winner tomorrow? 24 hours, everyone.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: January 06, 2019, 12:37:00 pm »

Bonfire lets you trash durations you played this turn. And with Capitalism now, there's a bunch of ways to have Durations leave play the turn you played them (Mint, Mandarin, etc). And I think it would be extremely rare that someone would trash a Duration to Shaman.

Scheme doesn't let you topdeck Duration cards the turn you played them, so I'm leaving it.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: January 06, 2019, 08:17:13 pm »
+1

Changed Ossuary to be +5 VP rather than -5
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 08:18:22 am by hypercube »
I have sigs off.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: January 06, 2019, 10:27:02 pm »
+1

Woodland Path
$4 - Project
At the start of your turn, you may discard a card to receive the next boon.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: January 07, 2019, 02:41:00 am »
+2

I think this would be more fun if the effects of holding on to Cursed Skull and having it at the end of the game weren't both negative, but rather one positive and one negative. Also the interaction with other Artifacts is unfun here I think.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: January 07, 2019, 08:15:18 am »

I think this would be more fun if the effects of holding on to Cursed Skull and having it at the end of the game weren't both negative, but rather one positive and one negative. Also the interaction with other Artifacts is unfun here I think.

You're probably right; I'll change Ossuary to give a VP bonus rather than a penalty.
I have sigs off.

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: January 07, 2019, 04:24:58 pm »

You're probably right; I'll change Ossuary to give a VP bonus rather than a penalty.

Cool idea, but start player just gets 5 extra points that his opponent(s) can do nothing about?  Yes the discard hurts, but there are some decks that could probably withstand that and just keep the skull and the 5 points for the entire game.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: January 07, 2019, 05:45:41 pm »
+2

Thank you all for bearing with me. This challenge had the problem that it was almost a puzzle, as it was very easy for ideas to become overly complex, or for them to use components in a non-meaningful way. So kudos to everybody who still made an effort to submit a streamlined, elegant card under these conditions. I hope I didn't forget anything:

Godfather: I like how the card manages for Copper, Silver and Gold to be worth exactly their amounts with the new wording. Nice! It does look a bit too strong, though. Perhaps using just coins instead of Coffers would have worked? I would have suggested to drop the Boons, but I guess my "great" challenge rules ruled out Coffers. I very much enjoy how the theme plays into this, by the way.

Trade War: One of the sleekest and most elegant submissions. It might be a bit strong, but on the other hand you'll see your new cards less often, and enough people complain about Treasures anyhow. Very neat.

Cannon: I am almost sure this is a Gunpowder joke. It doesn't really feel like it needs or wants a Potion cost, to be honest.

Mosquito: This has a lot going on. +3 Cards, put an Embargo Token on a supply pile, take you -1$ token, -3 VP. I realize I made it hard with this challenge (sorry), but I think this could lose one or more of these things. I do think there's room for interesting ideas here, though. Sadly, this also seems very weak.

Silk Farmer: A nonterminal trasher that replaces the other cards with a Spoils or can be cracked up for two Spoils... Similar to both Altar and Pillage to some degree. I like that, and I like that the Night type is used in a meaningful way.

Hill Tribe: I like this more than your original submission, but while I love how sleek this is, I'm unsure how often you will want to actually delay those Spoils. I mean, you just paid a card, do you want to pay another one to use it later (you'll have to draw it again)? Maybe the decision would be more meaningful if you just gained the Spoils and then could take your token to put it in hand?

Bewitched Town: Well, apparently I'm doing that all, after all  ;D
I do like the idea of mixing Villagers with Potions, but I don't feel this needs Ill-Gotten-Gains to be on it. Re-filling the supply avoids an IGG rush, but the Potion price already does this. And on its own, this card wouldn't run out of Curses, anyhow.

Amphitheatre: Another one that I like for how clean it is. I also really like how this plays both into the Actor and Antiquity theme. Cute! However, even if this only topdecked one card, making it topdeck itself still basically means a free +1 Action for each of your following turns, with Actions you don't need staying around. In that respect, making it topdeck just two cards seems fair already - also with two Villagers and two cards topdecked, I think the symmetry would be sweet. Admittedly, I didn't give this much consideration before looking at it closer. Nice one!

Bacchanal: Another one that combines Antique with another theme. Also sweet. The debt cost makes sense to keep you from gaining copies of itself, although of course you could have said "that is not a Bacchanal" - but it does also feel like the cost belongs on it. Like other expensive debt cards, it's also not as good early on. I'm not 100% sure it needs the Villagers thing, but it's not like it's too much text there, anyhow. Nice.

Homestead: Okay, so maybe my challange wasn't all garbage. So many nice cards here. Overpay for Villagers is a really cute and simple idea. This seems like a card you could see in regular Dominion. Only downside is that there already are two "on-gain" Villager cards in Renaissance - but of course both of them are also terminal draw (which is kinda weird, to be honest).

Leper Colony: Hum, I think this would need you to look through your deck. I guess this would eat up your Coppers really quickly, so it might be stronger than one would think at first. However, with Victory cards being excluded, I'm not sure this is all that different from just trashing the cards. Sure, there are curses and things like Gardens sometimes, but often there aren't. I do like the theme, even though it's a bit... morbid.

Crocodile: I like how the Night type here prevents you from being affected yourself, and just costing every card 1 debt more solves the issue of excluding people from the game. And Crocodiles are nocturnal aquatic animals, so that's also neat. I don't exactly enjoy the fact that the card isn't an attack, and would have suggested to implement such a thing with a Swamp-Hag-like wording instead... As a matter of fact, I did. Also, the on-play bonus is not very good. Unless you have excess buys (which this card doesn't create), you'll often be able to pay 4$ anyway, and even if you don't, you'd need to have a second Crocodile in hand when you buy this to actually remove debt before your next buy phase. Apart from that, the only way to get debt is for other players to play the Crocodile game. I do like a lot about this, but some parts seem like they could be improved.

Exile: Like Leper Colony, this sends the outcasts to an Island. Nice. This probably wants to cost 4$, though. Opening with two of these leaves you with a gret deck and lots of tokens in no time. That seems a bit automatic, to be honest. Especially as you don't necessarily need to build a real deck from that state on (unlike with Chapel), as you can Island away your Victory cards.

Shaman: I agree that this could be shortened quite a bit. "You may trash a card you have in play. If it is...". I agree that the Action choice would need to be stronger to be worth it.

Underground Railroad: This doesn't really seem worth it. Sure, you can ideally put your hand on your mat, and if you are lucky, the Victory cards stay there. But you have to get rid of at least three cards at once to make it even possible r this to turn out worthwile (unless you were unlucky before). You might have lots of cards you want to lose in hand if you draw your deck, but then your engine already is running smoothly, so this is just making you win when you already win. If I hadn't excluded Events (my bad), I probably would have suggested to do it that way, instead. It has a unique twist to it, but I can't really imagine how this should be played for good use.

Golden Egg: Yes, this is technically not following Donald's guidelines for overpay (he wanted benefits to always scale with the amount paid), but well, Donald isn't here... I do admit that I'm not a very fervid Villa lover, so the "return to your Action phase" doesn't excite me all that much. I guess being able to overpay to turn your Journey Token over is fine, but I'm afraid other cards that have been submitted convince me more.

Ossuary/Cursed Skull: I like this thematically, and I appreciate that it cuts down on the 1st player advantage. It might be a bit much to spoil somebody's 5/2 opening, though... Apart from that, I certainly like the +VP version more. Again, it might be a bit too harsh. Maybe there could be bonuses where you can hold onto your current turn at the expense of a future one, as in taking debt for buying cards or something. I do like the idea to combine Landmark and Artifact.

Woodland Path: A sweet replacement for Fool that actually is easier to set up. It might still be a bit slow to resolve, though. Imagine the same decision for every player, every turn, looking through the discards. But what am I saying, this is still much better than an official card, so congrats to you.

Winner: Dsell's Bacchanal
Runner-up: Commodore Chuckles' Homestead
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 06:03:00 pm by Asper »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: January 07, 2019, 06:12:55 pm »

Thanks!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: January 07, 2019, 08:09:03 pm »

Sweet!! And I was up against some interesting competition.

My design challenge will be: Design an interactive attack card that has a meaningful chance of helping the opponent rather than hurting them.

Looking for attacks that could be interesting to play both with and against, or are weaker/riskier (but are still compelling to buy), or that introduce interesting new forms of interactivity into the game. Not so much attacks where you curse your luck if your opponent gets it first.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +444
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: January 07, 2019, 08:46:35 pm »
+1

Underground Railroad: This doesn't really seem worth it. Sure, you can ideally put your hand on your mat, and if you are lucky, the Victory cards stay there. But you have to get rid of at least three cards at once to make it even possible r this to turn out worthwile (unless you were unlucky before).
This commentary is a bit confusing. You know what's in your hand at the time you play a night card, and you can look at cards on your Native Village mat at any time. There's not an element of chance.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: January 08, 2019, 12:47:00 am »

Discarding a card from your hand that might give you a victory token, is it worth the risk?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 12:50:05 am by ClouduHieh »

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: January 08, 2019, 01:49:13 am »

Discarding a card from your hand that might give you a victory token, is it worth the risk?
sorry, terrible name and terrible graphic. Isn't it possible to find a Dominion-like picture and name?

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: January 08, 2019, 02:07:05 am »
+2

<Food-Eating Contest>

sorry, terrible name and terrible graphic. Isn't it possible to find a Dominion-like picture and name?
Don't post just to criticize his cardname and picture on a thread with alpha-stage fan cards. There's no point in taking trouble to get the card title and art just right when designing a card for a weekly fan card contest.

Besides, I think it's hilarious.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 02:08:48 am by LibraryAdventurer »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: January 08, 2019, 02:37:08 am »

Yeah that was the best picture I could find. One clip art was good but it had the word clip art stretched across it and another one was a product. I don’t mess with those pictures. It’s just for the contest anyway.

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: January 08, 2019, 02:47:16 am »
+1

Yeah that was the best picture I could find. One clip art was good but it had the word clip art stretched across it and another one was a product. I don’t mess with those pictures. It’s just for the contest anyway.
I like the card very much; when the contest is over, i will post here a DOMINION-graphic-like version . :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 03:13:09 am by herw »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: January 08, 2019, 02:55:41 am »

Underground Railroad: This doesn't really seem worth it. Sure, you can ideally put your hand on your mat, and if you are lucky, the Victory cards stay there. But you have to get rid of at least three cards at once to make it even possible r this to turn out worthwile (unless you were unlucky before).
This commentary is a bit confusing. You know what's in your hand at the time you play a night card, and you can look at cards on your Native Village mat at any time. There's not an element of chance.

Argh, my bad. I understood it so that the cards shuffled in were random. Don't know why... It's quite a lot better if understood correctly. My apologies.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.