Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547893 times)

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #1000 on: December 19, 2018, 07:34:48 am »

It just seems weird that Alice plays Vanguard, Bob trashes a card from his hand, Charles sets aside a Horse Trader and Alice takes the Flag from Bob. Bob got compensated for having lost the Flag and Charles got a gift as well although the Attack did not involve him at all. Existing Attacks are always symmetric, they affect all other players.

Is that really all that different from Alice plays Urchin, Bob discards a card, Charles sets aside a Horse Traders?

Certainly there's some potential for politics introduced, but that's inherent to the concept of Artifacts. Playing Vanguard to attack one player is just an extension of buying a Flag Bearer to take the Flag from one player.
I have sigs off.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: December 19, 2018, 07:40:08 am »

It just seems weird that Alice plays Vanguard, Bob trashes a card from his hand, Charles sets aside a Horse Trader and Alice takes the Flag from Bob. Bob got compensated for having lost the Flag and Charles got a gift as well although the Attack did not involve him at all. Existing Attacks are always symmetric, they affect all other players.
Certainly there's some potential for politics introduced, but that's inherent to the concept of Artifacts. Playing Vanguard to attack one player is just an extension of buying a Flag Bearer to take the Flag from one player.
Taking the Flag from another player via gaining/trashing Flagbearer is not an Attack. So why should taking the Flag from another player while gifting him the net effect of a cantrip trasher be considered an Attack? Sure, late in the game that can hurt just like Masquerade or Junk Dealer can hurt but this influences your play, you will trash slightly slower.

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: December 19, 2018, 07:41:09 am »

Taking the Flag from another player via gaining/trashing Flagbearer is not an Attack. So why should taking the Flag from another player and gifting him the net effect of a cantrip trasher be considered an Attack?

Because the cantrip trasher effect is sometimes helpful and sometimes harmful.
I have sigs off.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: December 19, 2018, 07:51:30 am »

Because the cantrip trasher effect is sometimes helpful and sometimes harmful.
I am pretty sure that Vanguard will more often be an asset than a liability (far more so than Pirate Ship which you mentioned but which can be quite nasty in some Kingdoms in multiplayer games).
Keep in mind that the "attacked" player selects, in the absence of handsize Attacks and the -1 Card token, out of 6 instead of 5 cards. That matters a lot as the card will start to become crucial (we know these moments from Upgrade, Junk Dealer and Lookout) later in the game.

It is your design so you can of course take as many liberties as you want. But I think that being a gift during a large part of the game (it is nearly as good as having a cantrip trasher in your deck) and only affecting one player disqualifies this from having the Attack type.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: December 19, 2018, 08:36:31 am »

Gave up finding a picture.

Forger - Action, $4 cost.
+1 Action
Gain a Gold to your hand. If you don't have Deluded or Envious, take Envious.
-
When you trash this, gain a cheaper card from the trash to your hand.

Edit: 'different' to 'cheaper'.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 03:09:01 am by Aquila »

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: December 19, 2018, 08:36:43 am »
+1

I don't really see what the advantage of leaving the Attack type off is other than some additional similarity to Masq. Certainly there will be lots of times where one has a thin deck and the trashing will act as an attack, so I think it's better to let that get blocked by Moat etc.. Playing Pirate Ship is usually helpful to your opponent as well; that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be an Attack.
Vanguard should not be an Attack, not because of the benefit\detriment paridigm, but because players will be unsure if they can take the Flag from a player who is protected by a Guardian\Lighthouse\Moat (the answer is "yes"--because it is the player's instruction to take it, not the other player's instruction to give it--but that isn't immediately apparent to a layman).

Collector
Types: Action
Cost: $4
+3 Cards. Gain a Gold. If you don't have Deluded or Envious, take Envious.
I find the similarities to Aquila's Forger posted 12 seconds earlier amusing.

EDIT: Added hypercube quote for clarity. Added comment for Aquila's card.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 08:49:30 am by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: December 19, 2018, 10:34:02 am »
+1

Hopefully 'gain a different...' is all that's needed to prevent gaining another Forger for Watchtower-Tomb.
I think it would need to be "differently named". And then the trick would still work with 1 Forger and 1 Inherited Estate-Forger.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: December 19, 2018, 04:32:05 pm »

Light trasher or a semi-venture thing, plus a situational good deck cycler.  I thought it was fun to get lost in the woods when you lose your compass. 

Edited to be just treasure not treasure-fate

Edited back to how it was....haha
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 12:08:29 pm by Chappy7 »

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: December 19, 2018, 06:11:05 pm »

Light Trasher or a semi-venture thing, plus a situational good deck cycler.  I thought it was fun to get lost in the woods when you lose your compass.
Why does this need to be a Treasure? Could it not just be a non-terminal Action?

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: December 19, 2018, 06:23:22 pm »
+1

Light Trasher or a semi-venture thing, plus a situational good deck cycler.  I thought it was fun to get lost in the woods when you lose your compass.
Why does this need to be a Treasure? Could it not just be a non-terminal Action?

I thought it was more balanced when the put-in-hand thing was only helpful with nights/treasures rather than being able to dig for an action.  To me it is more interesting to be played at the end of the turn whether you draw a card or trash a card.(I played with it as a night card but that didn't work out) I also like the cycling happening at the end.  Overall I guess I found it more interesting to play as a treasure.

thematically Compass seems more like a treasure anyway

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: December 19, 2018, 06:30:14 pm »

I thought it was more balanced when the put-in-hand thing was only helpful with nights/treasures rather than being able to dig for an action.  To me it is more interesting to be played at the end of the turn whether you draw a card or trash a card.(I played with it as a night card but that didn't work out) I also like the cycling happening at the end.  Overall I guess I found it more interesting to play as a treasure.

Why is it a Fate? Fate means it can give you a Boon.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: December 19, 2018, 06:33:26 pm »

I thought lost in the woods counted.  If that's wrong I can easily change that.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: December 20, 2018, 01:27:10 am »

All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: December 20, 2018, 01:50:28 am »

Name: Voyager
Cost: $5
Types: Action
+3 Cards
Starting with the player to your left and ending with you, each player in turn may trash a card from their hand. If anyone trashed a card costing more than all other cards trashed in this way, that player takes the Flag and the Key.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: December 20, 2018, 09:57:53 am »
+5

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: December 21, 2018, 08:04:56 pm »

Well, this challenge was very difficult. I tried to do my best.

Pioneer Village
Type: Action

+1 Card
Reveal 2 cards from your hand. Set aside all revealed Action cards and play them in any order. If both cards were Action cards, take the Lantern or Horn. Each other player with at least 5 cards in their hand discards 1 card.

Treat this card’s name as Border Guard.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 08:13:08 pm by King Leon »

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: December 22, 2018, 01:33:07 pm »

Revenant
Types: Action - Attack - Duration
Until your next turn, when any other player gains a Victory card during their turn, they take Miserable.  If they already have Miserable, they flip it over to Twice Miserable.
At the start of your next turn, trash a card from your hand.  Gain a card costing exactly $3 more than it.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: December 23, 2018, 07:30:41 pm »

Rival City
Action - $5
+2 Actions
If another player has;
The Treasure Chest,  gain a Gold onto your deck
The Flag, +2 Cards
The Key, +2 Coffers
---
When you gain or trash this,  take the Key, Flag or Treasure Chest
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 05:09:12 am by NoMoreFun »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: December 25, 2018, 12:15:56 pm »

I'm pretty sure the Fate type means that you need to get the Boon pile out of the box and shuffle it, so this counts as a Fate card.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: December 25, 2018, 01:07:36 pm »

I'm pretty sure the Fate type means that you need to get the Boon pile out of the box and shuffle it, so this counts as a Fate card.

This card doesn’t use Boons?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: December 25, 2018, 06:17:44 pm »

It uses Lost in the Woods, which uses Boons. I'd say the card should be a Fate, as I believe the official rules state that the Fate type means that the Boons are shuffled at the start of the game.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: December 25, 2018, 06:24:04 pm »

It uses Lost in the Woods, which uses Boons. I'd say the card should be a Fate, as I believe the official rules state that the Fate type means that the Boons are shuffled at the start of the game.

Ah sorry, I forgot what Lost in the Woods does! I was just thinking of the other way around, that Fool uses Boons and could get you Lost in the Woods. So I'm wrong; anything that uses Lost in the Woods should be a Fate. Sorry Chappy.

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: December 26, 2018, 12:06:28 pm »

Ah sorry, I forgot what Lost in the Woods does! I was just thinking of the other way around, that Fool uses Boons and could get you Lost in the Woods. So I'm wrong; anything that uses Lost in the Woods should be a Fate. Sorry Chappy.
LOL I shouldn't have changed it.  That's okay no problem

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: December 26, 2018, 03:39:02 pm »

Rival City
Action - $5
+2 Actions
If another player has;
The Treasure Chest,  gain a Gold onto your deck
The Flag, +2 Cards
The Key, +2 Coffers
---
When you gain or trash this,  take the Key, Flag or Treasure Chest

Considering that this is non-Terminal, I think it's way too strong to allow this to take the Treasure Chest so much more easily than the Swashbuckler. There's almost no point in getting Swashbucklers when this is in the Kingdom.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: December 27, 2018, 02:26:47 am »

<Rival City>
Considering that this is non-Terminal, I think it's way too strong to allow this to take the Treasure Chest so much more easily than the Swashbuckler. There's almost no point in getting Swashbucklers when this is in the Kingdom.
Maybe you need draw?
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.