Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546738 times)

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #800 on: November 25, 2018, 08:03:35 pm »

1st card:

Surplus (Treasure-Reserve, cost $2)
+1 Coffers. Put this on your Tavern Mat.

2nd card:
Glutton (Action, cost $5 and 3 debt)
+1 Card
+1 Action
Choose 1: + $1, or you may trash a Surplus from your Tavern Mat, to gain a Gold to your hand.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 08:08:57 pm by MrHiTech »

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: November 25, 2018, 10:10:40 pm »
+7

Pheasant/Chef
Types: Treasure
Cost: $3
This pile starts the game with 5 copies of Pheasant on top, then 5 copies of Chef. Only the top card of the pile can be gained or bought.

Pheasant
Cost: $3
$3, +1 Buy.
While this is in play, you can't buy cards that aren't Actions.
Chef
Types: Action
Cost: $6
+1 Card, +1 Action. You may play a Treasure from your hand twice, and then you may trash it.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 10:15:58 pm by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #8: split pile
« Reply #802 on: November 25, 2018, 11:20:54 pm »

Nice, thanks Gazbag and hope you're better now! I enjoyed the concepts of the other submissions too.

Contest #8: a split pile with 2 different cards in it, a cheaper Treasure and a more expensive Action.
I will accept higher debt as more expensive than lower $. Potions... I'll leave you to convince me there. You can be open with your designs; you don't have to follow the other rules the official split piles do, just fit this brief.

I'll be looking for a design that makes good use of the split pile mechanic, as well as the usual sound, balanced and interesting specs.

Can multiple types be used? For instance can the required Action card be an Action-Victory card?

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: November 26, 2018, 08:49:03 am »

Investment is inspired by Plowing from this very thread and similar to something that DXV did during playtesting. Could obviously be too crazy:

Early on I had a Duration card that sat there accumulating Coffers tokens until you popped it.

Banker creates an incentive to keep Investment in play longer than you want anyway. It also becomes better if there are other Durations in the Kingdom. It could still be too weak though and require something extra.
So, here are my two cards:

Dragonfly
Type: Treasure - Reaction
Cost: $4

$2
+1 Buy
-
When something causes you to reveal this (using the word “reveal”), each other player gains a Curse.

Bug Collector
Type: Action

+1 Action
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Treasure cards and Curses into your hand and discard the rest.

To me, the challenge of this week's challenge is finding a way to design a Treasure that will be gained often enough to expose the bottom card. So, I made one that you could gain whether you want it or not. Cobalt is of course an element that poisons mines, reputed to be the work of the evil Kobolds. The Kobold can be useful, but it demands payment.
1st card:

Surplus (Treasure-Reserve, cost $2)
+1 Coffers. Put this on your Tavern Mat.

2nd card:
Glutton (Action, cost $5 and 3 debt)
+1 Card
+1 Action
Choose 1: + $1, or you may trash a Surplus from your Tavern Mat, to gain a Gold to your hand.
Nice, thanks Gazbag and hope you're better now! I enjoyed the concepts of the other submissions too.

Contest #8: a split pile with 2 different cards in it, a cheaper Treasure and a more expensive Action.
I will accept higher debt as more expensive than lower $. Potions... I'll leave you to convince me there. You can be open with your designs; you don't have to follow the other rules the official split piles do, just fit this brief.

I'll be looking for a design that makes good use of the split pile mechanic, as well as the usual sound, balanced and interesting specs.

Can multiple types be used? For instance can the required Action card be an Action-Victory card?
I would assume so.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 08:50:58 am by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: November 26, 2018, 11:23:56 am »
+1

King's Shilling
Cost: $2
$1
You may trash an Action card from your hand.  If you do, +$2.
The next time you buy an Action card this turn, +1 Buy.

Garrison
Gain an Action card.
-
When you trash this, put it in your hand.

The original version of King's Shilling lacked the +Buy part
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 08:07:32 am by spiralstaircase »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: November 26, 2018, 12:06:56 pm »

King's Shilling
$1
You may trash an Action card from your hand.  If you do, $2.

Garrison
Gain an Action card.
-

Clarification: If you trash an Action card with King's Shilling, you get a total of $3.
This looks fun. One thing; King's Shilling should say + $2, like Charm.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #8: split pile
« Reply #806 on: November 26, 2018, 12:10:33 pm »
+1

Yes. Cheaper Treasure and expensive Action are the minimum requirements. From there you can do whatever you like. Every entry so far is valid.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: November 26, 2018, 12:18:13 pm »

Quick question.  When would something be a reaction, like Market Square, as opposed to a non-reaction, like Fortress? The card I'm making has a "when this is trashed" thing, and I'm wondering how to design the card right.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: November 26, 2018, 01:41:56 pm »
+1

I am open to suggestions for how to improve the wording of Smelter.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: November 26, 2018, 01:50:27 pm »
+1

In my opinion the wording is pretty clear. For each card you drew less than 3 is an alternative.
I like Coin Press a lot, it is kind of an inverse of Cursed Gold (instead of you gaining bad stuff, they gain good stuff).

Sure, Smelter prevents your opponents from profiting from Coin Press and Schemes cards in play but I doubt that you are willing to forsake some draw to do that trick. You could argue that to really pull this off you either need to always just draw 2 cards (such that you can at least always topdeck the most likely most expensive card, Smelter) or you get your draw from some other cards and use Smelter exclusively for Scheming.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: November 26, 2018, 03:01:31 pm »

It's a standard split pile - 5 Candles on top of 5 Ghost Hunts
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 10:45:49 am by NoMoreFun »

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: November 26, 2018, 03:21:01 pm »
+1

Spyglass is a great Venture variant; I like that it also works with Night cards. I don't see the interaction with Ghost Hunt though which looks overpowered. I think that a next turn KC alone is probably already good enough for $4 or $5 and while it hard to compare this card to Gear or Haven as these cards do something vanilla-ish the unlimitedness of Ghost Hunt has to be worth something, even even though there is no vanilla stuff on the card.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: November 26, 2018, 03:33:27 pm »

Spyglass is a great Venture variant; I like that it also works with Night cards. I don't see the interaction with Ghost Hunt though which looks overpowered. I think that a next turn KC alone is probably already good enough for $4 or $5 and while it hard to compare this card to Gear or Haven as these cards do something vanilla-ish the unlimitedness of Ghost Hunt has to be worth something, even even though there is no vanilla stuff on the card.

Spyglass can put an Action in your hand which you can play next turn on your Ghost Hunt. I may also put a non optional chancellor effect on Ghost Hunt to nerf it.

Compared to Tactician you're 1 card, 1 Action and 1 buy worse off in a standard 5 card hand, but in return you get a KC (or TR if I nerf it).

I based the cost on my thinking that "you may Haven a card,  then next turn Throne Room" would be fine at 4 - in return for delaying the action a turn there are a few bonuses here and there.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: November 26, 2018, 03:57:42 pm »

This looks fun. One thing; King's Shilling should say + $2, like Charm.

Fixed.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: November 26, 2018, 04:14:43 pm »
+3

King's Shilling
$1
You may trash an Action card from your hand.  If you do, +$2.

Garrison
Gain an Action card.
-
First of all, Garrison is a great card. Very simple, few words and yet somehow totally frehs. Most of the times it will be weaker on-play than Artisan but there are some Actions that are more expensive than $5 and the Remodel tricks are also nice. Fortress variants seem to be impossible to pull off but you managed it.

But there is the problem that King's Shilling is just a Copper (ignoring Looters and cards like Sea Hag stopping to be useful) until they are all gone. This is probably not an issue in multiplayer but in 2P this can lead to something we know from City: Alice tries to empty the pile, Bob doesn't play along, the City pile never empties and Bob wins. It is not as grave as with City as it is just half a pile but arguably the cost of having $2 Coppers in your deck is often higher than the cost of having $5 Villages. With all those stop cards it is also less likely that you can later match them consistently with Garrison.

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: November 26, 2018, 04:44:45 pm »

I am open to suggestions for how to improve the wording of Smelter.

Uh-oh, my entry has a card called Smelter as well (I haven't posted it yet)
As far as the contest goes should I change the name or just leave it as it is?

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: November 26, 2018, 05:27:41 pm »

Off the top of my head, the only kingdom treasure I can think of that regularly piles out is Fools' Gold. Even with really good cards like Counterfeit,  Crown,  Coin of the Realm and Quarry, you don't want too many. Scepter and Spices are both great and may be exceptions.

This is a tough challenge; I love it.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: November 26, 2018, 06:47:50 pm »

Off the top of my head, the only kingdom treasure I can think of that regularly piles out is Fools' Gold. Even with really good cards like Counterfeit,  Crown,  Coin of the Realm and Quarry, you don't want too many. Scepter and Spices are both great and may be exceptions.

Well, in this case only 5 need to be bought. But you're right, it's tough to make a Treasure you want a lot of, that's why I made mine a trasher.

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: November 26, 2018, 06:53:54 pm »
+1

]

Sorry mine also has a card named Smelter.  I had this made a while ago and just didn't post it.  Hopefully since the first card is different it is unique enough.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: November 27, 2018, 05:01:49 am »

But there is the problem that King's Shilling is just a Copper (ignoring Looters and cards like Sea Hag stopping to be useful) until they are all gone. This is probably not an issue in multiplayer but in 2P this can lead to something we know from City: Alice tries to empty the pile, Bob doesn't play along, the City pile never empties and Bob wins. It is not as grave as with City as it is just half a pile but arguably the cost of having $2 Coppers in your deck is often higher than the cost of having $5 Villages. With all those stop cards it is also less likely that you can later match them consistently with Garrison.

Thanks for the kind words about Garrison!  I see your point about King's Shilling; I guess the obvious fix would be to give it +Buy, but then it would be strictly better than Pouch.  I'll think about it.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: November 27, 2018, 05:36:41 am »

Well, in this case only 5 need to be bought. But you're right, it's tough to make a Treasure you want a lot of, that's why I made mine a trasher.
Yeah, you have to figure something out there. My entry solves it by giving out copies of itself to other players on play. A bunch of entries seem to be going with +buys, but that's only really good in the mid-to-late game, so they will take a while to empty.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: November 27, 2018, 05:47:58 am »

In my opinion the wording is pretty clear. For each card you drew less than 3 is an alternative.
I like Coin Press a lot, it is kind of an inverse of Cursed Gold (instead of you gaining bad stuff, they gain good stuff).
Thanks!

Sure, Smelter prevents your opponents from profiting from Coin Press and Schemes cards in play but I doubt that you are willing to forsake some draw to do that trick. You could argue that to really pull this off you either need to always just draw 2 cards (such that you can at least always topdeck the most likely most expensive card, Smelter) or you get your draw from some other cards and use Smelter exclusively for Scheming.
Yes, the topdecking is mainly a cute trick. It is more relevant for setting up combos (like Herald) than it is for preventing Coin Press gains for your opponents. The more important interaction between the cards is that Smelter gives the +buy and draw that a deck with some high-value Treasures wants.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: November 27, 2018, 07:15:59 am »

I see your point about King's Shilling; I guess the obvious fix would be to give it +Buy, but then it would be strictly better than Pouch.  I'll think about it.

OK, I've given it a +Buy conditional on your buying an Action, so you can use it to spam cheap Actions at the same time you buy your Shillings.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: November 27, 2018, 09:02:25 am »

I feel like Contract should be more expensive. In the majority of situations, it is better than CotR.

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: November 27, 2018, 10:52:48 am »

I feel like Contract should be more expensive. In the majority of situations, it is better than CotR.

I agree with Faust, but I think that villa is the closest relative. Both net a buck, an action and a buy at the cost of one card. Also, both synergize with draw to X, notably bookkeeper. That being said,  3$ seems logic as price, because this is what villa effectively costs.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.