Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547776 times)

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #775 on: November 23, 2018, 02:43:03 pm »

This isn't Followers, the Attack is a Miltia OR Witch and the vanilla stuff is Woodcutter OR 2 Villagers.

The flexibility is nice but this isn't really more crazy than Goons and above all the cost to get it is pretty high: set up Village, Gallows, Gallows, then discard your entire hand which is equivalent to, in the absence of virtual Coins or Alms, losing an entire turn.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: November 23, 2018, 02:47:27 pm »
+1

Yeah, tbh the thing I most dislike about it is that if someone makes you discard down to three cards, then it's even harder to get Gallows. Maybe the Villagers are too good, but like Holunder said the opportunity cost is very high, high enough in my opinion.
When's the judging?

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: November 23, 2018, 02:50:30 pm »

I'm a bit ill today so I'll do the judging tomorrow when I'll hopefully be better.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: November 23, 2018, 02:51:26 pm »

Yeah, tbh the thing I most dislike about it is that if someone makes you discard down to three cards, then it's even harder to get Gallows. Maybe the Villagers are too good, but like Holunder said the opportunity cost is very high, high enough in my opinion.
When's the judging?
The only thing I'd slightly worry about is combining Villagers with an Attack. Non-terminal Attacks have become more frequent in recent years (Relic, Werewolf, Idol) but it is nonetheless something that should be handled carefully.
On the other hand it is a non-Supply card and far less crazy than Followers or Mercenary.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: November 23, 2018, 10:51:04 pm »

When's the judging?

You only need to discard 8 to get the Gold, not Gallows.

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: November 23, 2018, 11:59:05 pm »
+1

If there is still time (and even if there isn't), here's my last-minute entry and possible addition to Yuletide:

Spoiled Brat
Action/Attack - $5
-
Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of their deck, trashes a revealed Action, and discards the rest. You may gain a card from the Trash. If you do, gain a Coal onto your deck.

Coal
Treasure - $0*
-
$1
When you play this, you may return it to the Coal pile if you have at least 3 Actions in play.
(This is not in the Supply.)

So, the Spoiled Brat demands a lot of attention from others, and can often get it. However, a certain person knows this kid has been naughty, and thus will leave an undesired lump in their stocking.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: November 24, 2018, 03:31:39 am »

When's the judging?

Yep, you "only" have to, most likely, waste an entire turn to get an Attack card which would be a $5 or $6 if it were a Kingdom card. That is as impressive as a card that says: "You may discard your hand to gain a card costing up to $6."

If another Curser is in the Kingdom my hunch is that in most cases you prefer getting that Curser before Gallows.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: November 24, 2018, 09:34:30 am »

When's the judging?

Yep, you "only" have to, most likely, waste an entire turn to get an Attack card which would be a $5 or $6 if it were a Kingdom card. That is as impressive as a card that says: "You may discard your hand to gain a card costing up to $6."

If another Curser is in the Kingdom my hunch is that in most cases you prefer getting that Curser before Gallows.

I was responding to his first sentence. He said that if you have to discard down to 3 it's harder to get Gallows, which is incorrect.

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: November 24, 2018, 07:49:36 pm »
+6

I don't feel at all qualified to make a sound judgement here.

Avenue/Flower Seller: Oops I probably should have asked for people to say how many of the card there is, ah well. So my worry here is that with only 8/12 Flower Sellers available and Avenue giving 3 Flower Sellers at a time it seems pretty easy to hoard Flower Sellers, kind of like what you can do with Experiment sometimes. Adding more Flower Sellers just makes too many points available. I think the concept is great but maybe Avenue needs to be changed to make it work well.

Courier/Message: This one is nice and simple, I really like Message although I wonder whether a terminal Silver is the best thing to have paired with it. I guess it's a tiny bit like Flag Bearer where you're buying this terminal Silver for some temporary draw.

Demagogue/Assasin: This one is hard to evaluate for me, I appreciate that Demagogue isn't a great early game card so it isn't an auto-open. One thing that I find is worrying is that the Assassinator doesn't get their card back if the assassination fails so it's quite swingy, I wonder if it would be more fun if they got the card back if the Assassin whiffs but not if it hits? I'm also not sure this is great with 3+ players, it seems frustrating to have your Demagogue trashed by an opponent's Assassin that came from your other opponent's Demagogue. The flavour is great though.

Day Worker/Night Worker: I think Day Worker is a cool workshop variant and Night Worker is a clever way of getting actions into play for Day Worker although it is kind of similar to Ghost, although I praised Message which is basically Lab so I guess I can't criticise that. I wonder whether Night Worker needs to be gained to hand, although I guess it costs $5 so it probably does.

Architect/Redevelop: I like Architect, I guess if you just put +2 Cards on a base set card I'll probably like it... but I like how it can gain Silvers and also draws so the condition to get Redevelop makes sense. Redevelop is scary but it's quite hard to get so I guess it has to be, it also seems like the fun kind of scary to me.

Ox/Yoke of Oxen: I love the concept of a card that you can combine like this. Terminal +1 Card is generally frowned upon though and I think the card might be good enough without any +cards. It's not like Woodcutter for $4 is the worst thing ever and combining them seems like quite the upside.

Archaeologist/Excavation Piece: I like this apart from the weird scoring on Excavation Piece, I don't see why it can't just give a flat vp value. I'm not sure Excavation Piece needs to be a Treasure either really.

Factory/Worker: I like this one too, Bank was getting lonely as a building that's secretly a treasure. I like how the workers give your opponents some interesting decisions to make but they seem like a pretty hefty disadvantage so I wonder how often this is worth going for.

Oak/Acorn: This has some great flavour with the on-trash and the acorns growing more trees. It does seem really strong for $4 though. I think it really should cost $5, the Acorns gaining more Oaks I think is what pushes this over what a $4 should be allowed to do. It's such a delightful design though, I really love it!

Sail Boat/Passenger: I like this one a lot too, nice and clean design and seems like it opens up some interesting decisions, looks well balanced at first glance to me too. I guess you could say that it's playing it a bit safe, but really I don't see what's not to like.

Consorts/Royal Favour: This seems like a well balanced Throne+ with lots of decision making. The +1 Card on Royal Favour doesn't read too well but I understand why it's there, I'm kind of grasping to find criticisms here though.

Lunatic/Conjurator: Lunatic is pretty much Masquerade. Conjurator is double Necromancer. I don't know, with Lunatic being so similar to Masquerade and Conjurator just being better Necromancer I'm not sure this is doing much new? And Lunatic doesn't entice you to trash other Action cards either so I'm not sure it's the best fit really.

Plotter/Gunpowder Plot: I love the flavour here, although you should have to gather 11 Villagers, not 5. I didn't actually hate the +1 Card +1 Villager as much as others, saying that you have to play a Ruined Library 5 times is kind of not how it worked because Ruined Library doesn't give +1 Villager which can do things other than get you to Gunpowder Plot if you need it too. But this new version seems kind of bonkers for $3? Villagers are really powerful!

Superstitious Witch/Witch Bottle: This is cute, but I imagine it has a similar thing to Chariot Race but maybe even worse. You know, your opponent draws a Witch Bottle at the right moment and blocks all of your Curses and you don't and oops now I have 3 Curses which make it even harder to draw a Witch Bottle and then things spiral down from there and you're left questioning why you ever played this game. Just a personal bias of mine.

Treaty/Domain: I really like Treaty actually, a very nice little trasher to open with. Domain is maybe a bit too generous? I do like that it entices you to trash it to tie it back to Treaty though.

Painter/Painting: I'm not sure about this Ally thing, I did ask for a card not a card-shaped-thing. So it doesn't really fit what I was looking for, sorry.

Visionary/Vision: My gripe with this is that Visionary is kind of a non-card, like I'm not sure I can justify putting this ahead of the designs that have 2 interesting cards.

Manager/Intern:  I don't understand why this has a Debt cost +3 Cards +$3 seems like something that you'd open with every time to me. I like the idea of the card apart from that though.

Excavation/Refinery: I'm not sure why people are saying Excavation is strong, it seems kind of weak for a $6 to me. Well ignoring the Refinery part at least. I'm not a fan of the blind trashing part of Excavation, given your deck will probably be fairly built up by the time you can afford a $6 it seems like it'll backfire very often and Lookout is very unpopular for its semi-blind trashing so I think it's best to not do that kind of thing. The setting aside part of Refinery is unfortunate, thanks Capitalism.

Executioner/Gallows: I think this falls into the pitfall of doing too much at once. It can provide draw, Gold gaining, +Buy, +Villagers, Militia attack and Cursing all in one! The only thing it's really missing is trashing. Discarding your hand is a big cost of course, but it's not so bad early on given that Gallows is probably better than anything you could buy anyway and later on you might be able to start doing things with +$ giving Actions (like Gallows) where discarding your hand isn't so much of a big deal.

Spoiled Brat/Coal: I think it's on-record that I'm not a big fan of Knights at all? Sorry I know it's just my own personal bias but this is just not for me. I think posting cards that you think appeal specifically to the judge is an underrated aspect of this contest's metagame honestly.

It was really tough to decide a winner, I was torn between quite a few and it was painful to whittle down my list of top contenders.

The winner is Architect/Redevelop by Aquila. With Consorts/Royal Favour and Sail Boat/Passenger as the runners up (and a lot of others very close, you probably know who you are based on my comments).

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: November 25, 2018, 12:36:25 am »

Well this is a bit frustrating. My final submission for Excavation was a cost of $5, not $6. Also, the price is a reflection of Excavation's power, Refineries power and how hard it is to get Refinery. You seem to have attributed the cost merely to Excavation. No one would say Urchin is a poor card even though it's a weak $3 cost, because it can gain you the much more powerful card, Mercenary.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 02:02:20 am by Kudasai »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest Thread #9: split pile
« Reply #785 on: November 25, 2018, 03:31:40 am »

Nice, thanks Gazbag and hope you're better now! I enjoyed the concepts of the other submissions too.

Contest #9: a split pile with 2 different cards in it, a cheaper Treasure and a more expensive Action.
I will accept higher debt as more expensive than lower $. Potions... I'll leave you to convince me there. You can be open with your designs; you don't have to follow the other rules the official split piles do, just fit this brief.

I'll be looking for a design that makes good use of the split pile mechanic, as well as the usual sound, balanced and interesting specs.

Edit: I was wrong, it's already contest #9...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 09:42:10 am by Aquila »

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: November 25, 2018, 08:15:54 am »

Well this is a bit frustrating. My final submission for Excavation was a cost of $5, not $6. Also, the price is a reflection of Excavation's power, Refineries power and how hard it is to get Refinery. You seem to have attributed the cost merely to Excavation. No one would say Urchin is a poor card even though it's a weak $3 cost, because it can gain you the much more powerful card, Mercenary.
I thought the cost of the cards together was appropriate. I was just confused because people seemed to be acting like trashing 3 cards is strong by itself for $6, it was more of a tangential comment. I guess that didn't come across though so I apologise.
I mainly didn't find the blind trashing particularly compelling even though I understand (I think?) that it was intended to be a last resort option to try to get the Refinery. Refinery having to have the awkward wording because Capitalism messed it up was also unfortunate, I did like the concept behind Refinery though. It was a really close call and these things meant I couldn't justify putting it above some of the cards.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: November 25, 2018, 08:47:20 am »
+2

So, here are my two cards:

Dragonfly
Type: Treasure - Reaction
Cost: $4

$2
+1 Buy
-
When something causes you to reveal this (using the word “reveal”), each other player gains a Curse.

Bug Collector
Type: Action
Cost: $6

+1 Action
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Treasure cards and Curses into your hand and discard the rest.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: November 25, 2018, 11:06:14 am »
+3

Investment is inspired by Plowing from this very thread and similar to something that DXV did during playtesting. Could obviously be too crazy:

Early on I had a Duration card that sat there accumulating Coffers tokens until you popped it.

Banker creates an incentive to keep Investment in play longer than you want anyway. It also becomes better if there are other Durations in the Kingdom. It could still be too weak though and require something extra.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: November 25, 2018, 12:42:13 pm »
+14

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: November 25, 2018, 01:10:17 pm »
+1

Dragonfly

$2
+1 Buy
-
When something causes you to reveal this (using the word “reveal”), each other player gains a Curse.

Bug Collector

+1 Action
Reveal the top cards of your deck. Put the revealed Treasure cards and Curses into your hand and discard the rest.
This should be $5 so it's not a Silver+ for $4.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: November 25, 2018, 01:21:47 pm »

Dragonfly

$2
+1 Buy
-

Bug Collector

+1 Action
Reveal the top cards of your deck. Put the revealed Treasure cards and Curses into your hand and discard the rest.

I really thought about this, but there are only 5 Dragonflies and at $5 the competition with Gold is too high, that nobody would buy that and hey, the player who buys the last Firefly unlocks the dangerous Bug Collectors, so I don't feel that this is an issue here.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 01:29:21 pm by King Leon »

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: November 25, 2018, 03:30:53 pm »

Dragonfly

$2
+1 Buy
-

Bug Collector

+1 Action

I really thought about this, but there are only 5 Dragonflies and at $5 the competition with Gold is too high, that nobody would buy that and hey, the player who buys the last Firefly unlocks the dangerous Bug Collectors, so I don't feel that this is an issue here.
I disagree. Dragonflies have no synergy with each other so the price should be the same as if Dragonfly was it's own pile. Even without the reaction I'd price it at $5. It definitely would compete with Gold (your argument I believe was that Gold was too good and people would always buy it, which I disagree with). It should definitely cost $5, or even $6.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: November 25, 2018, 04:12:05 pm »
+1

Patron is no Treasure but it comes most closest to a Silver+ for $4, even closer than Conclave. Being an Action is on average better than being a Treasure (see this thread) and being sometimes able to save its non-terminal aspect via the Villager is also good.
So Silver+ for $4 is no longer a big design no-no.

Furthermore every split pile wants stuff on top that is as cheap as possible; otherwise you will rarely see the stuff underneath it.
Also, we already have two $5 Silvers with a Buy and something extra, Charm and Spices. I think it is pretty clear that Charm and especially Spices are on average better than the Curse part of Dragonfly which you can nearly always (not every card with "reveal" is Golem or Blacksmith, lots of them like Vagrant or Patrician reveal only one card) only use consistently if you go for a the quite expensive Bug Collector that comes at the downside of mildly forcing you to play a Treasure strategy.

Also, with other Cursers in the Kingdom it is fair to claim that once you can use Dragonfly to Curse the pile will already be empty.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: November 25, 2018, 04:19:28 pm »

Looks pretty good, but Wages should probably have some kind of "If it's not your Action phase, return to it" wording. Not sure if this is the best wording or not.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: November 25, 2018, 04:20:52 pm »

Dragonfly

$2
+1 Buy
-

Bug Collector

+1 Action
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Treasure cards and Curses into your hand and discard the rest.
This looks very cool, and I think it's okay with Dragonfly at $4.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: November 25, 2018, 04:59:43 pm »
+2

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: November 25, 2018, 05:24:02 pm »
+5

To me, the challenge of this week's challenge is finding a way to design a Treasure that will be gained often enough to expose the bottom card. So, I made one that you could gain whether you want it or not. Cobalt is of course an element that poisons mines, reputed to be the work of the evil Kobolds. The Kobold can be useful, but it demands payment.

I have sigs off.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: November 25, 2018, 05:29:08 pm »

Dragonfly

$2
+1 Buy
-

Bug Collector

+1 Action

I disagree. Dragonflies have no synergy with each other so the price should be the same as if Dragonfly was it's own pile. Even without the reaction I'd price it at $5. It definitely would compete with Gold (your argument I believe was that Gold was too good and people would always buy it, which I disagree with). It should definitely cost $5, or even $6.

The problem is, that we already have Festival as a $5 card. If I made Dragonfly a $5 I require to add another small extra, which would make the card too complicated. Split piles can sometimes do things, which normal piles cannot do. In this case this is having a Silver+ for $4. Look at Spices, which is actually a Silver+ for $3. You pay $5, but you get $2 change back. Dragonfly is just priced well and also the +Buy is required for better synergy with Bug Collector and the case when Curses run out. Also here is a comparison to Ill-Gotten-Gains: IGG's effect is triggered, when it is gained. Dragonfly is much harder to enable and hits much later than IGG. Both cards play very similar in slogs; but while IGG only can gain Coppers, Dragonfly's +Buy is more flexible.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 05:47:56 pm by King Leon »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: November 25, 2018, 05:58:17 pm »
+5

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 21 queries.