Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546266 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #700 on: November 15, 2018, 12:38:13 pm »
+4

Sorry for taking so long. I was torn between several cards. Also, I was writing it up at work, and stuff happened...

So, about all of them, in alphabetical order (sorry for the lack of links, I'm rushing down right now).

Angry Mob:
Seems very good for 3$. I like the Villagers better than the Coffers variant, but removing Villagers still kind of feels like it should cost 4$ (assuming a roughly similar strength to Coffers, this is roughly Cutpurse levels). And you can even open two of these. Even if they collide, you steal more tokens from your opponents than you need to play both. Once an opponent's Villagers run out, this is 5$ material, too.

Arms Dealer:
This has the same issue most trash-from-hand attacks have: It helps your opponents most of the time. And if you ever manage to make them trash a good card, like by playing a Militia first, it can be really harsh. Also, yes, multiplayer is a thing.

Braggart:
It's fine, but I feel a non-attack version that makes you gain a card costing up to 6$, with each other player being allowed to gain a card costing 2$ or 3$ less, would be a better variant of this base idea.

Con Artist:
Much better with the changed wording, as now early hands with Coppers can actually block the attack. The fact that it doesn't hit players with 3 or more Coppers in hand also makes it unlikely to hit early, where replacing a card in hand with a Copper is most likely to help them. Still, it kind of bothers me that the attack is double-edged, after all.

Curfew:
You can't really skip this because of the huge bonus it gives, and the fact that the attack only harms users of the attack (unless there are much more expensive ways to use that token) makes it not really less mandatory. It's a bit too self-absorbed for my taste.

Cursed Tome
Love the flavor here, although arguably a Tome sounds like a Treasure. My main gripe here is that I think it would be more easy to trigger and less board dependent if it used a Cornucopia-esque "4 or more differently named cards in hand" to trigger  cursing. Still a favourite from the start.

Demagogue:
Appears harsh at first, but people still have the option to choose. It follows a similar design idea as my Necromancer, without recycling the knights attack. Well, and Necromancer again is basically a Rogue variant. I'm not sure why I'm not really feeling this. It's a fine design.

Drunkard:
Bonus points for the originality. However, this is still a directed attack that only hits one player. It also delivers the revenge to the attack with itself, meaning it doesn't really provide a bonus to gain this.

Enforcer:
Another cute one. I originally was afraid the bonus was a bit too friendly when comparing the card to Legionary, but at the same time I feel that a 2 card hand is rather cruel. This isn't bad, but the brutality of the discard makes me feel it wouldn't be horribly much fun to play.

Extortionist:
A bigger Cutpurse. Not half bad. The only flaw this has is that it's a bit uninteresting compared to some other cards.

Frith Guild:
Fine. However, I feel this would be better if it made you discard to 4 either way. First, it allows getting rid of an Attack card to dodge further attacks, and also it would allow triggering Firth Guild itself.

Heretic:
Another one that seems kinda cool in principle, but it also looks a tad weak. Perhaps if it drew two to discard two, like Young Witch? Or if it was +2$, +1 Villager base for 5$. Terminal +1 Card is just really, really bad.

Infiltrator:
Also okay, but being a "fixed" Spy it doesn't seem overly interesting, and, like Spy, a tad too slow for a cantrip.

Land Dealer:
This is also perfectly fine, but another one that just didn't excite me much. And of course it's limited to only a few uses before it stops doing anything.

Mob:
I agree that this feels very oppressive, and the fact that playing BM allows you to dodge this completely doesn't make it better. I also don't like that this hits double if it hits. I'd probably like it more if it gave the attacked player a choice between trashing OR gaining a Ruins.

Negotiation:
A bit like a one-turn Embargo... I feel considering its cost and the fact that it might actually be so no other player even wanted to gain that card (and you can't block Victory cards) it's too weak. Also, it should probably say "At the start of your next turn" instead of "When you discard this from play". Not bad, anyhow.

Pretender:
I agree to the issue that often this won't feel like an attack. Sure, it sucks to play +Coin cards, but +Card cards become awesome. It also leads to issues if another player plays an Attack or a Throne Room + another Pretender. Like Braggart, I feel this would be better if it were a non-attack implementation of the core concept.

Regicide
This was one of the cards I was torn between. I like the novelty of the attack. My main worry was that it could lead to unpleasant experiences, because that kind of attack tends to whiff and if it doesn't, it feels really annoying to be hit by it. The first player advantage I think is mitigated a tad by the cost of 6$, but in general I'm not a huge fan of this kind of attack. Sorry, but that's the thing with jury decisions - they are very subjective. A grand submission anyhow.

Sorcerer:
I like this a lot! Obviously if one of the Hexes is Miserable, this is just a terminal Coffers very quickly. In fact, the actual bonus is a bit meh to me; Coffers are everywhere these days. Also, the base idea has been thrown around in the forums already (by you, perhaps?). So that's going against it... Apart from that, cool.

Stowaway
Glad you decided to put the attacking part in the current turn. It's a slightly more aggressive Haven/tactician, so my main gripe is that it doesn't feel terribly innovative. Otherwise it's neat.

Tax Collector:
This seems too brutal to me. I also believe that to make it it feel less brutal, you would have to change it in a way that would make it resemble other cards like Bridge Troll too much. Or, I gues, make it a one-shot? It's innovative, so that's a plus.

The finale was a triple between Regicide, Sorcerer and Cursed Tome.

The winner is Cursed Tome by GazBag. Congrats and thank you to everyone who participated.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: November 15, 2018, 12:39:28 pm »

Wow, top three! Also, someone else must have thrown it around, this is the first time I put it it on an actual card. I wanted to do something simple like Druid is, but just +1 Buy and an attack seems rather lame, so I added a Coffer. I'll try to think of something better.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 08:04:09 am by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: November 16, 2018, 05:33:21 pm »
+8

Oh I wasn't expecting to win this, thanks for liking the card Asper!

Non-supply card
A new non-supply card and a card (or cards I suppose) that showcases that non-supply card. It could be something like Vampire/Bats  with 2 intertwined cards or something more like Spoils or Wishes, or something new and unique that I haven't thought of. It's strictly one non-supply card, so no Travellers and I'm also going to say no Heirloom/Shelters type things too.

If anything is unclear just shout at me and I'll try to explain better!

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: November 16, 2018, 08:07:31 pm »

Oh I wasn't expecting to win this, thanks for liking the card Asper!

Non-supply card
A new non-supply card and a card (or cards I suppose) that showcases that non-supply card. It could be something like Vampire/Bats  with 2 intertwined cards or something more like Spoils or Wishes, or something new and unique that I haven't thought of. It's strictly one non-supply card, so no Travellers and I'm also going to say no Heirloom/Shelters type things too.

If anything is unclear just shout at me and I'll try to explain better!
Holy cow! A while ago I was thinking of if I won what my challenge would be, and this was exactly it. Amazing. Anyway, are we allowed to make two cards to get the non-supply card, or make a split pile or something?

artless

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: November 17, 2018, 01:09:46 am »
+1

Heretic
$4
+1 Card
+1 Villager
If you have 4 or more villagers, each opponent gains a curse.

Heretic:
Another one that seems kinda cool in principle, but it also looks a tad weak. Perhaps if it drew two to discard two, like Young Witch? Or if it was +2$, +1 Villager base for 5$. Terminal +1 Card is just really, really bad.

Man, +1 villager +1 card is better than +1 action +1 card.
It is a non-terminal curser which requires some build-up.

silvern

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: November 17, 2018, 02:58:25 am »
+4

My attempt:

(I note there's a typo--should say "per Flower Seller [singular] that you have")

EDIT: A good question to be asked: how many flower sellers are there? The answer: equal to the number of avenues in the supply (which itself follows standard victory card rules).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 03:04:12 am by silvern »

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: November 17, 2018, 03:58:02 am »
+2

+2 Cards
+1 Action
You may discard a Courier. If you don't, return this to the Message pile.
(This is not in the supply)

Courier
Action $3
+ $2
Gain a Message from the Message pile.

There are 10 messages
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 04:57:45 am by Doom_Shark »
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: November 17, 2018, 04:00:15 am »

Heretic
$4
+1 Card
+1 Villager
If you have 4 or more villagers, each opponent gains a curse.

Heretic:

Man, +1 villager +1 card is better than +1 action +1 card.
It is a non-terminal curser which requires some build-up.

Sure, but you have to play it as terminal +1 Card at least three times first, which really sucks. Anyhow, I didn't pick my winner for balance reasons. I just excluded cards that I thought were in principle unbalancable.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: November 17, 2018, 04:01:49 am »

+2 Cards
+1 Action
You may discard a Messenger. If you don't, return this to the Message pile.
(This is not in the supply)
Messenger
Action $3
+ $2
Gain a Message from the Message pile.
Messenger is already a card name.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: November 17, 2018, 04:06:46 am »

Sorry, I was thinking "Courier" when I came up with the idea, typed the wrong synonym. Fixed.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 04:08:13 am by Doom_Shark »
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: November 17, 2018, 07:59:26 am »
+3

Demagogue
Types: Action
Cost: $4
+1 Card, +3 Actions. Victory cards cost $1 less this turn, but not less than $0. Each other player may trash an Action costing at least $5 from their hand. If they do, they gain an Assassin from the Assassin pile, putting it into their hand.
Assassin
Types: Action, Attack
Cost: $0*
+1 Action, +$3. Each other player trashes a Demagogue from their hand (or reveals a hand with no Demagogue cards in it). If anyone does, exchange this for an Action costing at least $5 from the trash.
(This is not in the Supply.)
There are 6 Assassin cards.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: November 17, 2018, 01:39:16 pm »
+2

« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 01:47:04 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: November 17, 2018, 05:21:31 pm »
+3

Redevelop may be a bit too hard to get.

MattLee

• Spy
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: November 18, 2018, 12:37:40 am »

Note the original concept could add a 3rd ox to the yoke to make a herd, but it wouldn't be as clean and doesn't fit the rules of this contest.

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: November 18, 2018, 04:50:50 am »

Removed - i am unable to balance the concept. Feel free to do so :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 03:12:23 am by terminalCopper »

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: November 18, 2018, 04:54:27 am »
+6

Time to think about our pension, and raise some children!

My design tries to implicit that it takes a huge effort to do so, makes you lose a lot of time, but can eventually pay off big.

Obviously, to suit the given cards, each player has a pension mat:

Bride, Action, 4$

+ 2 Actions
+2 cards per child on your pension mat

Gain a Child.

Child, Action, 0*
[*not in the supply]

+ 2 coffers

You may put this on your pension mat for 6 coffers.
If you do, +4 VP
I think the flavor implications of buying multiple Brides for the sole purpose of impregnating them and have them raise children easily beat Harem in terms of offensiveness.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: November 18, 2018, 10:23:23 am »
+2

My design tries to implicit that it takes a huge effort to do so, makes you lose a lot of time, but can eventually pay off big.

Bride, Action, 4$

+ 2 Actions

Gain a Child.

Child, Action, 0*
[*not in the supply]

+ 2 coffers

If you do, +4 VP
8 Coffers and 4VP would be crazy even if Child did not buff NecropolisBride.

terminalCopper

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: November 18, 2018, 03:29:45 pm »

Bride, Action, 4$

+ 2 Actions

Gain a Child.

Child, Action, 0*
[*not in the supply]

+ 2 coffers

If you do, +4 VP
8 Coffers and 4VP would be crazy even if Child did not buff NecropolisBride.

Oh, maybe I should reword it, you should pay 6 coffers, not gain them.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: November 18, 2018, 05:15:27 pm »
+1

Bride, Action, 4$

+ 2 Actions

Gain a Child.

Child, Action, 0*
[*not in the supply]

+ 2 coffers

If you do, +4 VP
I think the flavor implications of buying multiple Brides for the sole purpose of impregnating them and have them raise children easily beat Harem in terms of offensiveness.

Yes, but it's historically accurate!

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: November 18, 2018, 06:05:54 pm »
+1

Why don't you just move the "to your hand" to Day Worker's On-gain effect? Other cards like Mine or Explorer also gain other cards to your hand.

Edit: And here comes my card suggestion:
Archaeologist
Type: Action
Cost: $6

+3 Cards

You may return an Excavation Piece from your hand to the Excavation Piece pile. If you do: +1 Card +1 Action, else: gain an Excavation Piece from the Excavation Piece pile.

Excavation Piece
Type: Treasure/Victory
Cost: $0*
$1
0 VP
--
When scoring: If you have 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8 Excavation Pieces, you get 1/2/3/5/8/13/21/34 VP.
(This is not in the supply.)

There are only 8 Excavation Pieces in the game.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 01:06:43 am by King Leon »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: November 18, 2018, 10:46:36 pm »

Might as well be the one to ask: what's the reasoning behind the unnecessarily convoluted Fibonacci score system? And did you mean to type 34 instead of 24?

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 19, 2018, 01:12:58 am »

Might as well be the one to ask: what's the reasoning behind the unnecessarily convoluted Fibonacci score system? And did you mean to type 34 instead of 24?

1) You have the choice: Junking your deck or returning junk for a a double Lab. Eventually you are rewarded for playing with a hard-to-play deck full of junk cards. Archaeologist has +3 Cards (or +3 Cards, return ExP, +1 Card +1 Action) to  help you digging through your  deck. The more Excavation Pieces, the harder this is, so the Victory points increase per Excavation Piece.

In my first try they gave VP in ascending order, the first one in the pile had 1 VP, the last one had 8 VP. This was fun, but also not very fair, as one player could snatch the 5 to 8 VP cards very easily and return the rest. My submitted variant fixes this.

2) Yes, it was a typo. 34 is the maximum and means 4 ¼ VP per Excavation piece.

I wanted to have a hybrid of Goons and Lab and that's it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 01:24:50 am by King Leon »

terminalCopper

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 19, 2018, 02:21:44 am »
+1

When scoring: If you have 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8 Excavation Pieces, you get 1/2/3/5/8/13/21/34 VP.
(This is not in the supply.)

There are only 8 Excavation Pieces in the game.

How about  “This is worth 1 VP for every 2 Excavation Pieces you have (round down)”?
This version scores 0/2/3/8/10/18/21/32, which is similar, but less weird for those which are unfamiliar with Fibonacci.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 02:23:02 am by terminalCopper »

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: November 19, 2018, 02:43:49 am »

There are 20 Workers.

EDIT: I decided Factory needed a buff, so it gives $1 more and can't hand out the draw token anymore.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 05:13:33 pm by faust »

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: November 19, 2018, 05:01:35 am »
+3

Hall of Fame is up! Link added to the op as well
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.