Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547071 times)

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #475 on: October 30, 2018, 06:28:00 am »
+2

A traveller line as Hommage to Stratego. My design tries to implicit that you will need a good mix of all travellers. Young Spys Draw-to-5-ability reduces the risk of getting stripped of all travellers.

Marshal ACTION - TRAVELLER
6$*
+3cards
+ 2$

Each opponent discards a traveller costing 5$ (or reveals he can’t).
******************************************************************************************************************

General ACTION - TRAVELLER
5$*
+3 cards
Gain a Silver.

Each opponent discards a traveller costing 4$ (or reveals he can’t).

Colonel ACTION - TRAVELLER
4$*
+2 actions
+ 2 buys

Each opponent discards a traveller costing 3$ (or reveals he can’t).

Miner ACTION - TRAVELLER
3$*
+ 3 actions

******************************************************************************************************************

Young Spy ACTION - TRAVELLER
$2
+Action
Draw until you have 5 cards in hand.

Each opponent discards a traveller costing 6$ (or reveals he can’t).

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 30, 2018, 07:43:47 am »
+9

Based on the resource accumulation spaces of Agricola:

« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 04:41:08 am by Holunder9 »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 30, 2018, 09:14:26 am »

Nice! Agricola is my third or so favorite board game. This fits it perfectly.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 30, 2018, 09:39:23 am »
+4

See this post for the latest version of this card.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 06:52:59 am by spiralstaircase »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 30, 2018, 10:34:23 am »

I know Carcassonne has been done already, but:

Cloister
Cost: $8
Types: Action - Duration - Victory
Now and at the start of each of your turns: If this is in play, you may play a non-Duration Action card from your hand. If you do, put it next to this card.
-
During clean-up, if there are eight cards next to this card, discard this and all cards next to it, and take 9 VP.  Otherwise, this card and all cards next to it stay in play.
-
At the end of the game, if this is in play, it is worth 1 VP plus 1 VP for each card next to it.

Clarification: Only cards played as part of the card's effect count as cards "next to" Cloister.  Merely putting a card next to it on the table isn't enough.
Really cool! Two things:
Can you put a Cloister next to a Cloister, or next to other cards played by Cloister, like in Carcassone? Basically, can cards count as being next to multiple Cloisters? Also, the green and orange should be switched.
Edit: Also, I think you want +9VP instead of take 9VP.
And nevermind, you already answered the question.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 10:37:25 am by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: October 30, 2018, 11:15:50 am »
+12

A Traveller line inspired by Bohnanza:

Much like Bohnanza, it has various colours of beans, cards that get better when you have multiple copies, and exchanging. I didn't want to put multiple dividing lines on so Blue Bean and Green Bean get unusual exchange conditions. Blue Bean's condition also prevents you from playing all your Blue Beans, then exchanging them on your final turn to score a bunch.

Small change to Wax Bean wording to match Bank.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 06:15:40 pm by hypercube »
I have sigs off.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 30, 2018, 11:20:39 am »

Can you put a Cloister next to a Cloister, or next to other cards played by Cloister, like in Carcassone? Basically, can cards count as being next to multiple Cloisters?

Good question!  Fixed by changing the clarification.

Also, the green and orange should be switched.

OK.  Fixed.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 30, 2018, 11:23:52 am »

Can you put a Cloister next to a Cloister, or next to other cards played by Cloister, like in Carcassone? Basically, can cards count as being next to multiple Cloisters?

Good question!  Fixed by changing the clarification.

Also, the green and orange should be switched.

OK.  Fixed.
But you can't place a Cloister next to another Cloister, since it's a duration card, but you can arrange the grid so that a card is next to multiple cloisters, is that right?

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 30, 2018, 11:25:11 am »

But you can't place a Cloister next to another Cloister, since it's a duration card, but you can arrange the grid so that a card is next to multiple cloisters, is that right?

Well spotted!  I have changed it so that you can place Cloisters, and so that there has to be room for it.  I guess if I had room I'd introduce a Cloister Mat with a grid on it, but I really don't have any more room on that card :-)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 11:29:58 am by spiralstaircase »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 30, 2018, 11:37:35 am »
+1

Dominion is not most boardgames, it is a boardgame. The fact that most humans like chocolate doesn't mean that one specific human does, and neither can you say what applies for Dominion. Rather, the fact that in all these years such a rule was never introduced speaks for itself.

I think within the past year, we did finally get a ruling that "can't trumps do" in Dominion...

Thread here. (Was 2 years ago).

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 11:41:47 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 30, 2018, 11:52:12 am »

A Traveller line inspired by Bohnanza:

Much like Bohnanza, it has various colours of beans, cards that get better when you have multiple copies, and exchanging. I didn't want to put multiple dividing lines on so Blue Bean and Green Bean get unusual exchange conditions. Blue Bean's condition also prevents you from playing all your Blue Beans, then exchanging them on your final turn to score a bunch.
Really cool line! One thing, I think you should reword Wax Bean to match Bank: When you play this, it’s worth $1 per Wax Bean you have in play (counting this).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 30, 2018, 11:53:24 am »
+1

This is absolutely beautiful in its simplicity. My only concern is that buying it every few turns or so will feel too forced. It's a neat mental battle about whether or not you can get even more if you wait it out, but I don't think there will ever be a game where it can just be ignored. I suppose Donate can't ever be ignored either, but that's generally a decision you have to make once; games using this will have an extra decision to make throughout the whole game.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 30, 2018, 02:27:58 pm »

This is absolutely beautiful in its simplicity. My only concern is that buying it every few turns or so will feel too forced. It's a neat mental battle about whether or not you can get even more if you wait it out, but I don't think there will ever be a game where it can just be ignored.
True, but this makes it feel even more like Agricola.

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 30, 2018, 02:48:14 pm »
+6

CHALLENGE #6: INSPIRED BY ANOTHER BOARD/CARD GAME

This has a rare interaction with Trade Route that I'll try and address here. If there are any Victory Kingdom card piles like Gardens or Nobles, it is possible to take the Coin token there that is meant for the Trade Route Mat.

In this example I will use Gardens, but this applies to all Kingdom Victory cards. If no Gardens have be gained that game and the number of Panda cards you have in play is more or equal to the number of Coin tokens on the Gardens pile (3+ Panda cards and 3 Coin tokens usually), if you gain a Gardens, two things attempt to happen. (1) A Coin token gets moved to the Trade Route Mat and (2) you take 3 Coin tokens from the pile. Being that there are only 3 Coin tokens and you are trying to do things with 4 Coin tokens, one of these things doesn't happen. As they all happen at once, you do get to choose however. You could take all 3 Coin tokens, or only take 2 and put 1 on the Trade Route Mat.

Just know, once that original Coin token placed by the Trade Route setup is removed, the Trade Route Mat will permanently be down 1 Coin token. Adding more Coin tokens later to the Garden pile with Gardener and gaining a Gardens will not attempt to move a Coin token to the Trade Route mat, since it only cared about the original Coin token it placed, not just any Coin token.

If you do take the Coin token placed by Trade Route, it can be used normally like any other Coin token.

These cards are inspired by the wildly fun game:
Takenoko
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 12:39:14 pm by Kudasai »

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +444
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 30, 2018, 03:01:35 pm »
+1

Quick thought: Panda should probably specify "(VP or Coin)" too for the "take 1 token" instruction, unless you want this to be a pseudo-attack card against Teacher and its event cousins.

(everything looks great so far y'all)

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 30, 2018, 03:02:37 pm »
+2

And now, introducing the long awaited RioGrande/DaysOfWonder Crossover the world has been waiting for,
Dominion: Ticket to Ride!
The expansion, if it was real, would come with an undetermined number Ticket cards and about 19 Tokens numbered 1-19. To play, you put a token on each supply pile that costs more than $0. Then you deal out three Tickets to each player. Each player may return one of their starting tickets, and at any time during their turn may spend an Action to draw three more tickets, of which they may return up to two. The Tickets each have two numbers on them. To complete a Ticket, you need to gain a card from both piles on a ticket in a single turn. When you complete a Ticket, you receive +1VP for every $1 in the combined cost of the two cards. At the end of the game, you receive -1VP for every $2 in the combined cost of the two cards at the top of the needed piles. When you use Tickets and there are no gainers/+Buys in the kingdom, add the event Seaway. (I hope to find a better solution for needing multiple Buys).
I'll probably add to the description later.
Edit: Changed it so you only need to keep one ticket if you draw more tickets later in the game, like in the real T2R.

Here's a ticket, the fact that it uses money symbols doesn't mean anything.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 10:03:43 am by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 30, 2018, 03:03:26 pm »

CHALLENGE #6: INSPIRED BY ANOTHER BOARD/CARD GAME

These have some funky (but not broken!) interactions with Trade Route, Gathering cards, Defiled Shrine, and Aqueduct. I'll try and address them upfront:
-Trade Route: This is probably the most annoying to keep track of so I'll address this first. In games with both of these, Victory Supply piles will each start with 2 Coin tokens on them (1 from Trade Route's setup and 1 from Panda/Gardener's setup). If you gain a Victory card with Panda in play, 1 token goes to the Trade Route mat and 1 goes to your Coffers/Villagers mat. If you gain a Victory card without a Panda in play, 1 token goes to the Trade Route mat as normal. The tricky part is now making sure no more tokens go to the Trade Route mat from that Victory pile as more tokens can be added via Gardener. This sounds wonky, but Trade Route only cares about the Coin token it put on the Victory pile, not any other tokens on it.
-Gathering cards: Gardener can add VP tokens to Gathering Supply piles and they can then be taken through the various ways Gathering cards take VP tokens.
-Defiled Shrine: Gaining an Action card will move all VP tokens from that pile to the Defiled Shrine Landmark, even VP tokens put there by Gardener.
-Aqueduct: VP tokens added to the Silver and Gold piles by Gardener can then be moved to the Aqueduct Landmark.

Other than that, the balancing on these might need some attention, but I have a whole week for that. I'm just eager to get these posted before anyone else beats me to this game.

And speaking of, this was inspired by the wildly fun game:
Takenoko
If you were playing with some of last week's submissions, would you be able to add tokens to those mats also?
Really cool submission.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 04:33:18 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 30, 2018, 06:08:29 pm »
+3

For my board game crossover, I have chosen the most fun, most well-balanced, most strategic, most friendship-building title in history...

MONOPOLY

*whack* *bam* *punch* *slam* *spit*

Ouch... I deserved that.

But anyway, yes, I chose the game that regular people call the most quintessential board game in existence, while we more avid gamers may declare it a waste of cardboard and paper money. But it did inspire this card...

Jail
Action/Duration - $2
---
+$3
At the start of your next turn, trash a Silver or discard two copies of a card from your hand. If you can't, end your turn.
-
During your Cleanup phase, if you don't have three copies of any card in play, discard this.

This comes from the Monopoly mechanic where rolling three doubles (playing three of the same card) in a row lands you in jail. When in jail, you can pay money to get out (trashing the Treasure) or roll a double (discarding two cards with the same name), or just wait three turns (losing your Action phase). If you can stay out of Jail, though, you're in the money!

I did make some more Monopoly-inspired cards, but I felt Jail was enough torture for you all.

Edit: Changed Jail to an Action-Duration because I started to hate the original version.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 06:48:09 pm by Tejayes »

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 30, 2018, 06:15:01 pm »

Really cool line! One thing, I think you should reword Wax Bean to match Bank: When you play this, it’s worth $1 per Wax Bean you have in play (counting this).

Good point, I'll make that change.
I have sigs off.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 30, 2018, 07:22:04 pm »

Homage to Pandemic!

Embargo tokens work the same as with Embargo.

Time to order more Embargo tokens! I've always wondered if it were possible to make a semi-forced, cooperation card for Dominion and I think you've done a pretty good job of it.

I think you can cut some of the wording here and there:

(1) The trashing has no real reason to be attached to the type of the Supple Pile you removed tokens from. Since you can choose any Supply pile arbitrarily, whether it has Embargo tokens on it or not, the trashing in effect has no condition. You might as well say, "Trash up to 3 cards from your hand." This does of course matter if you decide to clear an Action supply pile and you want to trash a Victory or Treasure card, but this is such a fast trasher, I think all your starting cards will be gone before the embargo tokens start flying. This also removes the restriction of having to essentially trash the same named card, but I don't think this will change much either. Trashing 3 cards per turn whether they have to be the same named card or not will likely get you to about the same deck size for the same number of turns.
(2) The bottom portion probably needs to start as "In games using this, when you shuffle your deck, ..."

Cool submission!

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: October 30, 2018, 07:31:46 pm »
+3

Inspired by Castell:

Name: Casteller
Cost: $6
Types: Action
+1 card
+1 action

While this is in play, whenever you play an Action or Treasure card costing less than all other cards you have in play, +$1.

The idea is to reward you for playing big-to-small, the same way you stack your people in Castell. Also, there are some fun tricks you can do with Procession or Counterfeit.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 30, 2018, 07:38:53 pm »
+2

A traveller line as Hommage to Stratego. My design tries to implicit that you will need a good mix of all travellers. Young Spys Draw-to-5-ability reduces the risk of getting stripped of all travellers.

Marshal ACTION - TRAVELLER
6$*
+3cards
+ 2$

Each opponent discards a traveller costing 5$ (or reveals he can’t).

General ACTION - TRAVELLER
5$*
+3 cards
Gain a Silver.

Each opponent discards a traveller costing 4$ (or reveals he can’t).

Colonel ACTION - TRAVELLER
4$*
+2 actions
+ 2 buys

Each opponent discards a traveller costing 3$ (or reveals he can’t).

Miner ACTION - TRAVELLER
3$*
+ 3 actions

Young Spy ACTION - TRAVELLER
$2
+Action
Draw until you have 5 cards in hand.

Each opponent discards a traveller costing 6$ (or reveals he can’t).

Stratego! What an amazing game and you've managed to capture a lot of its essence and port it over to Dominion! I'm sad though you haven't included Bombs somehow. :P

I love the mechanics of this, but I do recommend buffing buffing a lot of the on-play effects for these cards. Going through the motions of exchanging Travelers takes time and more so if you're discarding them from other players Attacks. The rewards need to be big enough that a player will risk their buys and time to get them.

The discarding could possibly be a bit too brutal. Maybe Miner can have some effect to help get your discarded Traveler cards back into play faster?

Thanks for sharing. Now I might have to dust off my copy of Stratego from 30 or so years ago.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 30, 2018, 07:44:20 pm »
+3

An attempted Sheriff of Nottingham emulation (Couldn't use the word Contraband, unfortunately):

I'm sad though you haven't included Bombs somehow. :P

I'm sad he didn't include Scouts.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 07:47:33 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 30, 2018, 07:48:12 pm »
+1

Inspired by Castell:

Name: Casteller
Cost: $6
Types: Action
+1 card
+1 action

While this is in play, whenever you play an Action or Treasure card costing less than all other cards you have in play, +$1.

The idea is to reward you for playing big-to-small, the same way you stack your people in Castell. Also, there are some fun tricks you can do with Procession or Counterfeit.

Really cool card idea! I like cards that in one way or another encourage keeping some Coppers around.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 30, 2018, 07:49:21 pm »

An attempted Sheriff of Nottingham emulation:

Wow, all my favorite games are being done here! Great card.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 22 queries.