Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547575 times)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #450 on: October 26, 2018, 04:21:54 pm »
+1

Like Inheritance, Seaway, or Scouting Party?

Well, partly. Inheritance is obviously an "event" in one sense of the word, a rich uncle passes away and you get something. Scouting Party also irks me, but it still somewhat implies an event. I interpret it as in the event is you sending the scouting party out and then they come back and give you information. Again with Seaway, it irks me that it's not an event per se, but it somewhat makes sense if you think of it as a seaway being built. Obviously, that would have some effects on your kingdom, and the increase in trade from that event gives you an extra card and the +Buys.

Barrel seems pretty indefensible as an event, though. Perhaps a tweak to something like "Cooperage" would put it more in line with the other cards?

This version gives you infinite tokens.

Whoops! Hlounder is quite right, I meant it to be a borrow knock-off.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 26, 2018, 06:59:11 pm »

Fugitive as token looks sound except for Barrel, that is arguably a bit too cheap and thus too automatic if you have left-over Coins.
Agreed. It could add diversity in playstyle despite being a must-buy, but I think it's a little too monolithic for my taste. Perhaps remove the buy and make it a 3 for 3 type of thing, or add some type of drawback:
Barrel -
+1 Buy
Discard any number of cards, then take a Mulligan token per card discarded.
Barrel -
+1 Buy
Take a mulligan token, then put your -1 Card token onto your deck.
Also, it's an event. A barrel is not an event. This is a nitpick, but I always hate it when people name events after inanimate objects.

I like the idea of making it not super-spammable, I didn't quite realize that when I made it. I came up with a slightly different solution to the problem, in an attempt to also make it more interesting.
Also, barrel is a verb (as in, they barreled the apples to ready them for transport). It's not exactly the common use of the word, though, and I might change the name of it at some point just because of that. On the other hand, I already have art for "barrel" so I'll keep it that way for now.

Barrel
$2 Event
+1 Buy
Trash a card from your hand. Take one mulligan token for each $ in its cost.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 26, 2018, 07:19:45 pm »

I feel like the trashing will dominate the card more than the Mulligan token thing now. At for a free trashing, it's already a pretty powerful event.

Also, I would suggest "Coopery" or "Cooperage" as a name. You can keep the same art, but it's a more interesting name, and Coopery feels consistent with Pathfinding as a sort of trade.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 27, 2018, 02:42:14 am »

Baker Kingdom
T1: 3 Coppers, 2 Estates
Spend Coffers token, buy Barrel, trash 2 Estates, take 4 Mulligan tokens.
T2: 4 Coppers, 1 Estate
Spend Mulligan token to sift through the Estate, buy a $5.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 27, 2018, 04:47:52 am »

I agree that Barrel doesn't sound like an Event. Even the Events that describe things, most of the time (always?) describe abstract or intangible things. You can't touch a Seaway, Hunting Party, Lost Arts, Summon or Inheritance. A barrel is something you have standing in your Cellar.

Goats used to be something that you would typically trade against other goods, like chickens, or camels in other countries, or eggs... Given the celtic theme of Nocturne, I'm enclined to let that slide. I never really thought about Pasture, but, uh, I guess you could say it describes both the land and the grass your sheep eat? Personally I'm much more offended by Amulet not being a Treasure.

Also, do a Barrel Roll.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 27, 2018, 08:09:55 am »

Goats used to be something that you would typically trade against other goods, like chickens, or camels in other countries, or eggs... Given the celtic theme of Nocturne, I'm enclined to let that slide. I never really thought about Pasture, but, uh, I guess you could say it describes both the land and the grass your sheep eat? Personally I'm much more offended by Amulet not being a Treasure.

That was my justification for both of them too. Livestock has historically been used as currency. Recently, in fact, the president of Zimbabwe suggested people could use goats instead of cash. Pastures are also valuable and land has been a trade good as far back as property rights were invented.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 27, 2018, 04:03:23 pm »

But Goat is a Treasure card in Dominion, so you can pay with Goats. And they even have a positive effect. While Beggars and Ill-Gotten Gains increase the money supply, Goats can even eat Copper to counteract the inflation.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 04:04:55 pm by King Leon »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 27, 2018, 07:09:51 pm »
+1

But Goat is a Treasure card in Dominion, so you can pay with Goats. And they even have a positive effect. While Beggars and Ill-Gotten Gains increase the money supply, Goats can even eat Copper to counteract the inflation.
Makes sense. The value of a goat is a real, not an arbitrarily assigned one. So it's no wonder they make for a reliable investment. More so than Gold, in fact.

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 28, 2018, 03:10:13 pm »

I'll name my winner and runners-up in a few hours. If there are any last minute ideas to float by, go ahead and submit soon.

Tarken

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 28, 2018, 06:05:58 pm »
+1

CHALLENGE #5: NEW TYPE OF SPENDABLE TOKEN

This is a two-fold challenge. First, create a new use for the standard coin tokens used for Coffers and Villagers. Give it a name, describe when you can spend these tokens, and describe what happens when each token is spent. Second, create at least one card (up to three) that allows for gaining these tokens.

The best combination of token and card will be the winner. If your token is similar to a previously-submitted token, that's fine; just give it a different name at the very least.

If there are any questions about the parameters of this challenge, please ask away.

Edit: Changed rules to allow entrants to design up to three cards that all gain the same new token.

My submission is inspired by French Revolution. I was also inspired by Violet CLM idea of Mutineers.

Mutineers may be spent during your Action phase at any time when you might spend an action instead, i.e. when no cards are currently resolving. Spending a Mutineer discards a card from your hand. At the end of the game, each unspent Mutineer is worth -1VP.

My submission:

Each Revolution token is worth -1VP at the end of the game.

Tejayes

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 28, 2018, 09:44:56 pm »
+10

I think it's time to announce my winner! First of all, I want to thank everyone who participated in this weekly contest of mine. Despite the difficulty of the challenge, many of you rose to it and presented some creative tokens and cards. While some entries didn't quite match the guidelines I set, I thoroughly enjoyed pondering every entry.

Before I make the announcement, I would like to contribute my own take on my challenge. While I couldn't enter my own contest for obvious reasons, I did want to show at least one of the ideas I came up with. And since it's not an official entry, I'm breaking my own rules and presenting four cards that use my token (sorry I don't have an official-looking mat like Kudasai and Fly-Eagles-Fly):

Crafters
Token
-
Once per Buy phase on your turns: You may remove tokens from this to gain a card costing up to $2 per token removed.

Holiday Village
Action - $4
-
+2 Actions
Reveal the top card of your deck, then put it into your hand. If it's an...
Attack card, gain a Curse.
Treasure card, gain a Silver.
Victory card, +1 Crafter.
$0-cost card, you may trash it.

Tailor
Action - $4
-
Gain a card costing up to $4. If it costs less than $4, +1 Crafter.

Con Artist
Action/Attack - $5
-
Each other player reveals the top three cards of their deck, discards one of your choice, then puts the rest back in any order. +1 Crafter for each differently-named card revealed by the player to your left.

Factory
Action - $6
-
+3 Crafters
You may not play any more Actions this turn.
-
While this is in play, when you gain a card using Crafters, you may gain a second card costing up to $1 per Crafter used.

Any feedback on my ideas is always welcome.

---

And now, the moment you have all been waiting for! After considering each set of tokens and cards for the creativity of the token and how well the cards fit with it, I have selected a Top 5 (because narrowing it down to 2 was just too hard, and there were so many that I wanted to compliment). From fifth to first, we have:

5th Place: Gubump's Grant and Endurance
-
My favorite of the entries with a single card. Quite a neat idea to have a token be able to turn a regular Action into a Duration. A powerful token indeed, softened by Grant's one-shot  nature. I would like to see more cards that grant Endurance.

4th Place: hypercube's Science set
-
Science is perhaps the most creative token idea of the contest. It effectively turns a potentially dead card into a Laboratory. The cards that gain Science tokens fit the Science theme rather nicely and would potentially make good Science targets themselves.

3rd Place: Fly-Eagles-Fly's Plots set
-
Complex perhaps, but I like it like that. The tokens can be strong but the mechanic incorporating the card's cost helps keep this from getting too nutty. The cards themselves have some neat effects and complement the Plot tokens nicely.

And now, the top two. This was really difficult; I kept going back and forth between these two as the winner and runner-up. Ultimately, my decision is...

2nd Place: Kudasai's Stores set
-
A token-esque version of Pirate Ship, but so much better and more intuitive in my opinion. Plus, the cards that went with it had very creative uses of the Stores mat itself.

THE WINNER OF THE CREATE-A-TOKEN CONTEST IS... VIOLET CLM's MUTINEERS SET!
-
I fell in love with this the moment I saw it. First, of all of the token ideas I came up with on my own, not a single one of them had a negative effect. As soon as I saw what Mutineers do, I just had to yell, "Why didn't I think of that?!" The nautical-themed cards themselves fit with the Mutineers theme quite well, too. I especially love Diving Bell as a combination of Attack and Mutineers abettor. Still, I do have some confusion over how to spend the Mutineers. At first, I read it as you have to use an Action to do so. Also, make sure it's clear that you must discard a card when you want to rid yourself of a Mutineer. Other than that, though, I had to give this the win due to the cohesiveness of the entire set.

I look forward to seeing what you have in store for the next challenge, Violet CLM. And once again, thanks to everyone for your entries and your comments. I had a lot of fun with this, and I hope you all did, too. See you for Challenge #6!

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 29, 2018, 12:03:11 am »
+1

Thanks for the thoughtful deliberation! I agree with your winning choice. Mutineer tokens are such a cool idea.

Good luck to you in challenge #6.

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +444
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 29, 2018, 02:09:39 am »
+1

Ooh, I'm delightfully surprised--thanks for the kind words! The genesis for the idea was very simple: I thought about all the basic Dominion keywords that could conceivably be bound to spendable tokens, and "discard" seemed the most interesting. Their effectiveness as attacks probably varies hugely by kingdom, though, even putting aside the issue of how big a deal -1 point is depending on the VP options... cards like Tunnel, Poor House, Menagerie, or Library would all make me buy Sellsail specifically for the tokens. But hey, maybe that kind of variability is a good thing.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 02:11:42 am by Violet CLM »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 29, 2018, 08:58:07 am »

Wow, third! Thanks a lot. I think you got it right with your decisions. Also, nice 'submission' yourself!

vishwathg

• Navigator
  • Respect: +92
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 29, 2018, 02:51:13 pm »

What happens if you Throne Room a Factory?

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: October 29, 2018, 02:52:46 pm »

I would guess that you would only play Factory once. If it said Action cards I would think otherwise.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 29, 2018, 02:58:12 pm »
+1

I would guess that you would only play Factory once. If it said Action cards I would think otherwise.
And what happen if my Venture hits a Crown?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 29, 2018, 03:54:46 pm »
+1

If your boss tells you to murder the annoying client but the penal law says that murder is a capital crime it is not really unclear which commandment you should follow.
In real life as well as nearly all boardgames "don't" trumps "do".
Meaning concretely here that you have to come up with some practical solution, i.e. put the Action card in play but don't resolve it or discard the Action.

Beyond this rules trivia I think that Factory could be too strong. You can read it as "+1 Buy +6 Coins and don't play anyother Actions" (ignoring the below-the-line stuff for the sake of simplicity). Not so nice with Action diggers like Golem, Ghost or Herald but otherwise pretty good; 3/4 of a Province isn't bad for a terminal payload card at $6. Sure, you only want one as they don't stack but it seems fairly automatic in engines as well as money decks.

Tejayes

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 29, 2018, 05:24:20 pm »

Perhaps I could change Factory's effect to "Immediately end your Action phase." And if Factory is too strong, what about Con Artist? Maybe you should be forced to remove all Crafters when you decide to use them?

Still, I like these conversations. I should start a thread for my own creations so I can get more feedback.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 29, 2018, 05:57:04 pm »

Perhaps I could change Factory's effect to "Immediately end your Action phase." And if Factory is too strong, what about Con Artist? Maybe you should be forced to remove all Crafters when you decide to use them?

Still, I like these conversations. I should start a thread for my own creations so I can get more feedback.
That wording should work, and I think it would make it more strategic if you needed to use all of them, since you want to use them sooner to get the full value. It certainly wouldn't make it less strategic, anyway.
Con Artist is probably too strong, maybe +1 Crafters for every three differently named cards revealed by the other players combined? Not sure that works well in practiced, but seems like it should be balanced.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 05:59:06 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 29, 2018, 07:47:27 pm »

Dominion is not most boardgames, it is a boardgame. The fact that most humans like chocolate doesn't mean that one specific human does, and neither can you say what applies for Dominion. Rather, the fact that in all these years such a rule was never introduced speaks for itself.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 29, 2018, 10:48:26 pm »

Dominion is not most boardgames, it is a boardgame. The fact that most humans like chocolate doesn't mean that one specific human does, and neither can you say what applies for Dominion. Rather, the fact that in all these years such a rule was never introduced speaks for itself.

I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying, but I thought there was a rule like that in Dominion (though it may not be explicit) so that e.g. you know Moat gets priority over Militia.

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +444
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 30, 2018, 03:47:45 am »
+1

4. The winner of a challenge posts the next challenge.
aaaaaaaah sorry sorry I totally forgot about this part

okay, so, uhhh

CHALLENGE #6: INSPIRED BY ANOTHER BOARD/CARD GAME
Your model here is Governor much more than it is Walled Village: design a card-shaped object in some way inspired by the rules of a board or card game other than Dominion. (Also kindly specify which game you're working from because I assume we haven't all of us played 100% of games ever made.) Be careful, though, that the game with the inclusion of your object is still Dominion. At the extreme end, don't write a card that says "play a game of Backgammon with the player to your left--if you win, +$4." But even a Landmark that replaces Dominion's supply piles with the rotating supply from Through the Ages or St. Petersburg is probably a bit beyond the scope of this challenge.

If your idea is better served as multiple card-shaped objects for whatever reason--heirlooms, split piles, prizes, non-supply piles, whatever--sure, go for it, that's fine.

Busen Memo is not allowed.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 30, 2018, 04:41:59 am »
+4

Homage to Pandemic!

Embargo tokens work the same as with Embargo.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 30, 2018, 05:17:39 am »

I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying, but I thought there was a rule like that in Dominion (though it may not be explicit) so that e.g. you know Moat gets priority over Militia.
Certainly not explicit, and Moat is as close as it gets.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.