Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547289 times)

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #425 on: October 25, 2018, 10:30:04 am »

I’m sorry I thought I saw someone using the +1 buy tokens for a different use and thought all existing tokens were fair game. Ah well I’ll never have a chance in winning any of these tournaments anyway. Cause I only learn visually anyway. If you had taken a picture of what the tokens look like. Then I would of known for sure. Which to use and which not to use. After all I don’t know what the villagers tokens look like because they haven’t been released. Probably should of at least waited till renaissance was fully released before having a contest using such tokens. I mean I played some of the new cards online but it didn’t give an exact picture to what the tokens look like. Are they metal, plastic or cardboard well we don’t know. They could look just like the inheritance token for all we know. Because we just don’t fully know.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 25, 2018, 11:34:34 am »

Go read the second Renaissance preview, he says that the tokens will be the same as for coffers but will also used for villagers.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 25, 2018, 12:36:02 pm »

I don’t want to look at the preview stuff anymore. It just makes it more frustrating waiting for it to come out. I’m only posting on here for fun. If my cards pass great! If they don’t cause of a technicality that I don’t understand oh well. Think of this as apples to apples. One person says all the requirements for this contest. All the players post what they think meets with his requirements. And probably just pick his favorite that meets his requirements. However he is not obligated to choose a card that is within the requirements. Like for instance in apples to apples the requirement is something sticky bubble gum, tape, spider webs, super glue, bandaids and snakes. The player chose snakes cause he loves reptiles.

Now I that would never happen. But here’s a question is each person obligated to pick only with the requirements he’s chooses. Because I don’t remember seeing that in the beginning post.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 12:38:53 pm by ClouduHieh »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 25, 2018, 12:39:49 pm »

They aren't obligated to necessarily, however they pick from contest entries and technically if a card doesn't meet the requirements it's not a contest entry.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 25, 2018, 12:41:59 pm »

Oh well. It wouldn’t be the first time I didn’t fully understand what’s in and what’s out. And I’m sure it won’t be the last. Dominion is just game after all. I only make sure I have all the facts for important things like teaching people about animals at the zoo.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 12:47:40 pm by ClouduHieh »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 25, 2018, 12:42:50 pm »

Guys, please. No need to fight. ClouduHieh, I sent you a message  :)

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 25, 2018, 01:54:42 pm »

This might be a good time to clarify that the tokens themselves have no effect on what happens when used. It's where (what mat) the tokens come from that matters. The mats should tell you when and what to do when a token is removed. See the Coffers mat as an example.

I think a lot of the confusion is that the official tokens used look like Coin tokens, but they can really be used for anything, not just +$1. In fact, you can use any thing you want for tokens: Pennies, rusty nails, even VP tokens! That last one might be interesting!

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 26, 2018, 10:23:23 am »
+5

You may spend a Science token at any time during your Action phase. If you do, the next time you play an Action you get +2 Cards +1 Action instead of following its instructions.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 10:25:26 am by hypercube »
I have sigs off.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 26, 2018, 12:08:30 pm »

You may spend a Science token at any time during your Action phase. If you do, the next time you play an Action you get +2 Cards +1 Action instead of following its instructions.

Really cool, but the tokens seem really strong. Glassblower especially seems too strong, compared to Candlestick Maker (which I guess you were using that as a model). Turning any Action into a Lab just seems a lot better than a Coffer.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 26, 2018, 12:21:08 pm »

Really cool, but the tokens seem really strong. Glassblower especially seems too strong, compared to Candlestick Maker (which I guess you were using that as a model). Turning any Action into a Lab just seems a lot better than a Coffer.
I am not so sure. Suppose you have a Pearl Diver in hand. Now you can use Glassblower's Science token to draw an extra card. This boils down to Glassblower having being, in hindsight, a Market Square. Not that brilliant.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: October 26, 2018, 12:31:09 pm »

I am not so sure. Suppose you have a Pearl Diver in hand. Now you can use Glassblower's Science token to draw an extra card. This boils down to Glassblower having being, in hindsight, a Market Square. Not that brilliant.
Yes, but similar to Candlestick Maker it gets much stronger if you save it up. At the start of your next turn you have a Pearl Diver and whatever else, now it's much better than using it right away. Or it can make dead cards live again. All this is saying that it is a very fun and good concept. I just think it's too good for Glassblower.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 26, 2018, 12:35:34 pm »
+1

Yes, but similar to Candlestick Maker it gets much stronger if you save it up. At the start of your next turn you have a Pearl Diver and whatever else, now it's much better than using it right away. Or it can make dead cards live again. All this is saying that it is a very fun and good concept. I just think it's too good for Glassblower.
Sure, +1 Card is usually better than +1 Coin so arguably the corresponding token is stronger. But Science tokens are in my opinion weaker than Card tokens. If you have no Action card in your hand left after you play Glassblower you cannot use the Science token and if you only have good Action cards you don't want to use Sciences tokens on them.
This is why I think that the card is fine at $2

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 26, 2018, 01:20:28 pm »
+3

Mulligan Tokens
Any time during your turn that you are not currently resolving the effects of a card, you may spend a mulligan token for the effect: +1 card, then discard a card.

Storehouse
$3 Action
Take four mulligan tokens.

Runaway
$5 Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Take a mulligan token.

Barrel
$2 Event
+1 Buy
Trash a card from your hand. Take one mulligan token for each $ in its cost.

Old Barrel
$1 Event
+1 Buy
Take a mulligan token.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 06:59:19 pm by alion8me »

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 26, 2018, 01:22:39 pm »

Fugitive as token looks sound except for Barrel, that is arguably a bit too cheap and thus too automatic if you have left-over Coins.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 26, 2018, 02:53:55 pm »
+2

Fugitive as token looks sound except for Barrel, that is arguably a bit too cheap and thus too automatic if you have left-over Coins.
Agreed. It could add diversity in playstyle despite being a must-buy, but I think it's a little too monolithic for my taste. Perhaps remove the buy and make it a 3 for 3 type of thing, or add some type of drawback:
Barrel -
+1 Buy
Discard any number of cards, then take a Mulligan token per card discarded.
Barrel -
+1 Buy
Take a mulligan token, then put your -1 Card token onto your deck.
Also, it's an event. A barrel is not an event. This is a nitpick, but I always hate it when people name events after inanimate objects.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 26, 2018, 02:53:58 pm »

Storehouse is too strong and it should cost 4 in my opinion. Runaway could have a small bonus like, “when you trash this, gain a cheaper card” or similar. Barrel has the Pot of Greed problem. Everyone will use it, it whenever it's possible. That makes games longer without adding fun. I would simply drop that event.

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 26, 2018, 03:25:05 pm »

As a potentially useful comparison, Science is usually a Villager that also replaces the next card with +2 Cards. The obvious combo is Ruins; they also let you Enchantress+ yourself when terminals collide. What is the thinking behind limiting Collector's bonus to Action and Victory cards, as opposed the unrestricted ability of Recruiter?

EDIT: Ignore my misunderstanding of how the tokens would work.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 03:39:21 pm by crlundy »

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 26, 2018, 03:33:43 pm »

As a potentially useful comparison, Science is usually a Villager that also replaces the next card with +2 Cards.
I fail to see the similarity between Scientist and Villager. Villager provides +1 Action whereas Scientist net yields +1 Card, conditional upon you quasi-discarding (if you shuffle that fellow isn't coming back) an Action card. It is thus only similar to Card tokens and can be read as a generally (sifting through Ruins or hands with too many terminals being the exceptions) weaker version of them.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 26, 2018, 03:43:57 pm »

Also, it's an event. A barrel is not an event. This is a nitpick, but I always hate it when people name events after inanimate objects.

Like Inheritance, Seaway, or Scouting Party?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 26, 2018, 03:46:38 pm »
+1

I almost said the same thing, but it's not quite the same. You inheriting something is an event, you building a seaway is an event, and you go on a scouting party. It's not quite the same as it being a regular object.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 26, 2018, 03:47:59 pm »

(a b c)

Mutineers may be spent during your Action phase at any time when you might spend an action instead, i.e. when no cards are currently resolving. Spending a Mutineer discards a card from your hand. At the end of the game, each unspent Mutineer is worth -1VP.
This is one of the most interesting concepts so some quick comments.

I guess that you mean that you can discard at any during your Action phase in order to get rid of a Mutineer, i.e. making these bastards walk the plank is conditional upon you discarding a card. Otherwise you could spend all Mutineers when you are down to zero cards in hand.

Diving Bell provides some nice interaction and I think that the Project is interesting with as well as without Kingdom cards that hand out Mutineers.

Sellsail is a pretty cool Fugitive variant.

It is nice that Grotto defends against itself but I am not too fond of the Silver gaining. It looks a bit weak compared to Militia but in 3P games it could be nasty as unlike Militia the tokens stack.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 26, 2018, 03:50:24 pm »

Barrel -
+1 Buy

This version gives you infinite tokens.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 26, 2018, 04:00:51 pm »

I almost said the same thing, but it's not quite the same. You inheriting something is an event, you building a seaway is an event, and you go on a scouting party. It's not quite the same as it being a regular object.
Yeah, all the sideways cards are, or can be read, as what they are. Goat and Pasture are really the only two cards that don't match their type.
I understand that some people approach boardgames in general as a bunch of mechanisms in a box but Dominion does have some theme to it. Claims that the game is totally unthematic are as valid as claims that it is multiplayer solitaire.

Barrel -
+1 Buy

This version gives you infinite tokens.
I think it is evident that Theta meant it to work like Borrow, i.e.:

Once per turn: +1 Buy. If your –1 Card token isn't on your deck, put it there and take a Mulligan token.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 04:02:01 pm by Holunder9 »

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 26, 2018, 04:01:55 pm »

The mix of nouns and verbs as published Events is what gets me. Pathfinding, but not Summoning? Expedition, but not Domination?

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 26, 2018, 04:15:24 pm »
+1

I was skeptical about this week's contest and couldn't come up with anything very clever myself, but I am blown away by how cool and innovative some of the things y'all are coming up with are. Looks like another tough week of judging, and lots of interesting concepts that could form the basis of many future cards.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.