Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546297 times)

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #350 on: October 22, 2018, 02:45:25 am »
+2

Marketeers are Buy tokens, i.e. you can use them during your Buy phase for +1 Buy.

Man, there are some tough guys in the streets, they can easily handle enemy Pirates and Bandits.

Beyond stuff like this happening beyond your turn, worst case is getting the Marketeer at the end of the turn, best case is something like sifting through the card several times per turn. Perhaps this is too weak and could get away with +2 Marketeers.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 02:58:12 am by Holunder9 »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 22, 2018, 02:53:03 am »

Are Events allowed, or just cards?

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 22, 2018, 02:53:51 am »
+1

Marketeers are Buy tokens, i.e. you can use them during your Buy phase for +1 Buy.

Man, there are some tough guys in the streets, they can easily handle enemy Pirates and Bandits.

Beyond stuff like this happening beyond your turn, worst case is getting the Marketeer at the end of the turn, best case is something like sifting through the card several times per turn. Perhaps this is too weak and could get away with +2 Marketeers.

Is being able to gain the whole pile when you buy just one of them intentional?

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 22, 2018, 02:59:44 am »

Is being able to gain the whole pile when you buy just one of them intentional?
No, such pile driving would be bad. Thanks for the catch, I changed it to on-buy.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 22, 2018, 04:10:45 am »
+1

My best bet are Trade Tokens, as introduced in LastFootnote's Enterprise expansion. I'd probably call them something different (because of "Trade" being commonly associated with gaining Silvers), but their catch is that they don't do something specific, but each card tells you what to do with them. In the case of Enterprise, he used that to create lots of one-shot type effects.

My try at such a card back in the day was Sheriff, but I can't think of another clever Trade Token type card right now. Maybe later.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 09:22:06 am by Asper »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 22, 2018, 08:22:13 am »

Is it okay to use a modification of someone else's mechanic? Like can I use a variation on Gazbag's Freeze/Ice token mechanic?

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 22, 2018, 09:35:00 am »
+1

Are Events allowed, or just cards?

Events are allowed. Landmarks are allowed. Projects are allowed. Cards with Artifacts are allowed.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 22, 2018, 09:39:19 am »

I did not add the "During your turn" bit, though, because I want the cost to be the same for all players at all times.

You need that clause there to determine the timing, and with that clause, it would affect all the copies of Rare Earth, even those owned by other players. See Peddler.

So, this is much too late a reply, but:
I think this doesn't make a difference here, because unlike Peddler, the value is the same for all players anyhow.

Tejayes

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 22, 2018, 09:44:05 am »

Is it okay to use a modification of someone else's mechanic? Like can I use a variation on Gazbag's Freeze/Ice token mechanic?

As long as it's not an exact copy of the mechanic, go for it. If the token effect is pretty expected (like a +Buy token or a +Card token) and someone has already used it, I'll accept a submission with the same token type as long as the name is different.

Remember, this is about the token/card combo. If everyone submitted a card that gains Card-drawing tokens, I'd be fine with that as long as the cards are different and the names of the tokens are different.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 09:53:05 am by Tejayes »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 22, 2018, 10:47:13 am »
+1

'Gaining spendable tokens' is loose here, but:

You gain the (poorly named) Tool tokens just by this being in the game, then spend them at the start. 3 tokens for each player, in their colour like with Adventures tokens/chits. This has a few awkward things about it (like buying a Tool-ed card and the drawn things be unusable), so I may revise this later, but I'll keep the names.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: October 22, 2018, 11:12:25 am »
+1

As announced, basically LF's Trade tokens. What can I say? They're great. You could have this be a different token per card that uses it to dodge "re-using" Trade Tokens, but firstly, having it one kind of token (whatever named) opens additional interactions (similar to how several cards use the Journey token), and secondly, it depends on the individual cards anyhow.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 22, 2018, 11:27:55 am »
+2

My best bet are Trade Tokens, as introduced in LastFootnote's Enterprise expansion. I'd probably call them something different (because of "Trade" being commonly associated with gaining Silvers), but their catch is that they don't do something specific, but each card tells you what to do with them. In the case of Enterprise, he used that to create lots of one-shot type effects.

My try at such a card back in the day was Sheriff, but I can't think of another clever Trade Token type card right now. Maybe later.
Since we are only designing a single card for our token, any concept we have is basically a Trade token. Any card in this contest may be phrased as gaining Trade tokens with the additional text on the card "in games using this, Trade tokens do XY".
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 22, 2018, 12:51:04 pm »

Since we are only designing a single card for our token, any concept we have is basically a Trade token. Any card in this contest may be phrased as gaining Trade tokens with the additional text on the card "in games using this, Trade tokens do XY".
Sure, but we were also asked to explain the concept behind the token AND that it should use physical coin tokens.

For first edition's Guilds alone, getting that coin token for non-Coffers-purposes without a mat seems ill-advised, and if you are going to get a mat anyhow, conceptually, you would rather have it ready for use with several cards. While this is implicitly the case for Marketeers or Freeze tokens, it's certainly worth an explicit note for context-dependent usage. So yeah, it's about explaining the concept, dude.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 22, 2018, 01:45:34 pm »
+6

Obviously, Drawers are tokens that can be used for +1 card at any point during your turn.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 01:47:00 pm by Watno »

Tejayes

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 22, 2018, 02:07:22 pm »

My goal with this theme was that you would create a token that can be gained by multiple cards, even though you are only designing a single card. It's as if your entry was Coffers and you presented Candlestick Maker as your card. It fits the theme of the challenge while also opening up the possibility for more cards to use this token mechanic.

If it helps, I'll allow for entrants to create up to three cards that gain your created token. That way, if multiple people want to use a Card-drawing token, for example, they can each enter a completely different set of cards that gain these tokens. I'll add this to the original challenge post.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 22, 2018, 02:19:02 pm »

Obviously, Drawers are tokens that can be used for +1 card at any point during your turn.
Without wanting to diss your simple and good design, in my opinion Drawers are the most dubious of the three vanilla tokens as draw is something you rarely want to save. Early in the game cycling is very strong so the main strategic application of them is probably in the endgame, e.g. to set up a megaturn.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 22, 2018, 02:22:37 pm »

I guess I didn't quite understand the challenge till now. So the tokens need to be spent for something? Not just cards that use a new type of token?

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 22, 2018, 02:36:15 pm »
+1

Without wanting to diss your simple and good design, in my opinion Drawers are the most dubious of the three vanilla tokens as draw is something you rarely want to save. Early in the game cycling is very strong so the main strategic application of them is probably in the endgame, e.g. to set up a megaturn.

No worries, I mainly made it for the pun.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 22, 2018, 02:47:14 pm »

No worries, I mainly made it for the pun.
Lol I didn't know if you had tried that.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 22, 2018, 04:38:04 pm »

So, the cards need to provide tokens that are used for the same thing? And they have to be coin tokens (not in player colors)? And they need to be spendable? Uh... In that case, I'm going to sit this one out.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 22, 2018, 05:02:31 pm »

So, the cards need to provide tokens that are used for the same thing? And they have to be coin tokens (not in player colors)? And they need to be spendable? Uh... In that case, I'm going to sit this one out.
Yeah, if they need to be 'spent,' not just serve a certain function, I might also.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 22, 2018, 05:17:14 pm »
+2

Just make your +1 Pizza from Road a spendable token. When you have 6 or whatever number Pizza tokens, message Asper for your free pizza! :P ;D

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 22, 2018, 05:26:34 pm »
+1

Getting non-terminal draw at the start of your next turn could often be better than terminal draw this turn.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 22, 2018, 06:23:43 pm »
+2

Introducing the tokentoken. The tokentokens are any-token tokens. You may spend a tokentoken whenever you may spend any other token to get +1VP, + (like coffers), +1 action (like villagers), +1 card (we know that someone will make a +1 card token for this contest), add a token to the trade route mat (that counts for your trade routes only), or get the effect of any other token, except the adventures tokens (obviously).

Jabberwock
- Action - Attack - Reaction - Jubjub bird
Take 2 tokentokens. Each other player loses a tokentoken. If they don't, snicker-snack, they gain a curse.
-
When another player spends a tokentoken, you may trash any number of cards from your hand. For each card you trash this way, take a tokentoken.
-
When you trash this card, discard it and take a tokentoken, unless you trashed it with a vorpal blade.
I feel like this is just a token effort.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 22, 2018, 06:27:53 pm »

Getting non-terminal draw at the start of your next turn could often be better than terminal draw this turn.
True that but how many Villagers are living in these Fishing Villages? For next turn stuff you don't need tokens, stuff like Gear and Enchantress suffice.
Unlike with all the other vanilla tokens which are sometimes accumulated you will only save Card tokens for tactical reasons during build-up. Once you got something decent running saving a huge bunch can be good for huge turns.

That's simple due to basic asymmetries in the game: without extra Buys you can only make so much out of Coffers, without extra Action cards you don't spend a Villager and without enough Coins Marketeers will be idle. But there are usually some cards in your deck and while you still build you want to see those cards relatively quickly to then see your newly bought cards even quicker and so on.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.