Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546288 times)

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #325 on: October 18, 2018, 12:10:06 pm »

Martyr, Action-Reaction, 5$

+2 cards

You may play another Martyr.
Each Martyr costs one less (but not less than 0).

If you trash this: +2actions, +buy

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 18, 2018, 01:44:20 pm »

But what if Ferry is in the kingdom?

Then you'll think twice what you'll do with that token.

What I don't like is that the on-gain effect is hugely anti-synergetic. You can either buy this card after your opening, where there's a big chance that it will fail, OR you buy it in the opening, where you will still have to buy it for 4$, but then it starts costing 2$, effectively making it a Woodcutter... Unless you go for a treasure-based strategy, which means this becomes a cheap Big-Money supporter.

I agree. My goal was to have some kind of terminal Action that was a weak $4 cost, but great $2. Something that you likely would not want early, but could use 3-4 copies of late game. A Woodcutter variant with some added effect seemed like a good place to explore, but it hasn't quite come together.

I think I'm going to go back to my original plan to use the bottom-half portion with a Village card. Opening Village is rarely good, but in this case you'll at least have cheap Villages for the rest of the game.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 18, 2018, 01:48:23 pm »

It should also be clarified if you still get the effect when it's tied for most expensive, that will have a pretty big impact on power level.

I actually like the anti-synergy. You can get it early for the economy boost, but it will crumble later, or you wait and end up with a more powerful card. The only thing that bothers me is that it is usually not a very interesting decision whether to go for it later; with cheap engine components you do, otherwise you don't (unless you need a Ruined Market). But maybe the interesting decision in the opening makes up for that.

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I think I'm going to use the "most expensive" card condition on another card. Maybe this could have worked, but I'm just not quite feeling it right now. If you have any similar card ideas I'd love to hear them, but maybe not on this board. I feel bad enough cluttering this area with non-submission chat.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 18, 2018, 01:57:37 pm »

CHALLENGE #4 - VARIABLE COST CARD RESUBMISSION

This feels a bit similar to Viking Village. Sorry Holunder9!

[EDIT 10/19/18 12:08AM PST] Changed name and image to Sunken City. It's back!!!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 03:09:11 am by Kudasai »

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 18, 2018, 02:16:04 pm »
+1

I think it is only superficially similar. You want to open with Asylum in order to make it cheap whereas Viking Village is cheap when you don't want it yet.
The effect is cool, I like stuff that rewards overdraw. It is in general weaker than Plaza but in an engine Plaza might have no Treasures to discard and you can convert overdrawing into Coins more easily (Mill does this best but it is also just a cantrip).

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread {Design a card with variable cost.}
« Reply #330 on: October 18, 2018, 03:50:20 pm »

Perhaps something like this:

In games using this, at the start of your Buy phase, you may look through your discard pile and set aside any number of Curses from your discard pile or your hand.  This card costs less for each Curse still set aside in this way, to a minimum of .  When you buy this card, return a set-aside Curse to the supply for each that its price has been reduced by in this way.  At the end of your Buy phase, discard any remaining set-aside curses.

It's still pretty messy - I'm not happy with the "for each $1 that its price has been reduced by in this way" part, but I don't see how else to make it play properly with Bridge and friends.

Maybe I've been overthinking this.  How about:

In games using this, at the start of your Buy phase, you may look through your discard pile and set aside any number of Curses from your discard pile or your hand.  You may pay for this card by returning set-aside Curses, with each paying for $1 of its cost.  At the end of your Buy phase, discard any remaining set-aside Curses.

That even feels like it might fit on a card.  Though then maybe this isn't a card for this contest - it's an alternative payment, not an alternative cost.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 18, 2018, 06:30:11 pm »

That even feels like it might fit on a card.  Though then maybe this isn't a card for this contest - it's an alternative payment, not an alternative cost.
I'm ok with it. It's still in a pretty broad way the same kind of thing.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 18, 2018, 06:59:52 pm »

In games using this, at the start of your Buy phase, you may look through your discard pile and set aside any number of Curses from your discard pile or your hand.  This card costs less for each Curse still set aside in this way, to a minimum of .  When you buy this card, return a set-aside Curse to the supply for each that its price has been reduced by in this way.  At the end of your Buy phase, discard any remaining set-aside curses.

It's still pretty messy - I'm not happy with the "for each $1 that its price has been reduced by in this way" part, but I don't see how else to make it play properly with Bridge and friends.

In games using this, at the start of your Buy phase, you may look through your discard pile and set aside any number of Curses from your discard pile or your hand.  You may pay for this card by returning set-aside Curses, with each paying for $1 of its cost.  At the end of your Buy phase, discard any remaining set-aside Curses.

I think you're going to have a tough time finding concise wording that gives you $1 coin per Curse discarded, but you can only use it to buy High Grand Witch. I'd suggest either (1) giving $1 coin that can be used to purchase any cards, or (2) reducing the price of Grand High Witch by $1 coin. The former as you mentioned does not qualify for this competition. You've also expressed concern about having the price reduced and the interaction with +Buys. Cost reduction cards are always going to run this type of risk, so I'd just chop this up as a card interaction and something players need to watch out for.

Beyond that, there are some adjustments you can make to reduce the text length. Here is an example using +$1 coin.

During your Buy phase, you may look through your discard pile and return any number of Curses from it or your hand to the Supply. Then +$1 per Curse you returned.

artless

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 18, 2018, 09:44:23 pm »

Treetop Village
$6 Action

+2 Actions
+1 Card
------
This costs 1 less for each card in your hand, but no less than 0.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 06:03:56 am by artless »

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 19, 2018, 02:19:10 am »

Treetop Village
$7 Action

+2 Actions
+1 Card
------
This costs 1 less for each card in your hand, but no less than 0.
This is a cool idea but the price is too high, I guess 4 or 5 would do.
I also think that the concept would work best on an alt-VP card to guarantee that it actually does something. Sure, it also does something in Kingdoms without trashing, with junking or with extra Buys and no good way to get rid of Coppers. But I nonetheless think that it would be best if the card were to self-synergize with its ability.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 19, 2018, 03:21:01 am »

For those who are unfamiliar with it, the Season mechanic is by Asper and Cookielord.
I already play around with the basic idea for some time. The card is strictly weaker than Village and could be made more exciting via exchanging Actions for Villagers but that felt to me like too much is going on.

Quite a cool card! I recognize the top part from a concept you were working on a few months ago. It seemed to be lacking something then, but I think this addition of the variable cost brings it all together. Would like to see this played with Remodel!

Also, I'd change the question mark font in the cost to "Times New Roman" if you want it to be in line with official cards.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 19, 2018, 03:37:46 am »
+1

First Submission:
$6* Lost Temple
Action-Doom
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
While this is in the Supply, once per turn during your buy phase you may
receive the next Hex. If you do, +1 Buy and this costs $3 less.

"+2 Cards, +1 Action, and +$1" I think is priced around $7.5, so giving this a base price of $6 with the added amount per duplicate you have in play seems about right. Also, given that this card rewards diversity it will keep players who try and spam these in line a bit.

Might be best to keep the price changes restricted to your Buy phase. Otherwise, it might be a nightmare to resolve trash for benefit cards during your Action phase. Not impossible though.

Nice, clean submission! Thanks for sharing this one!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 03:40:37 am by Kudasai »

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 19, 2018, 03:49:26 am »

Clarification: Cost reduction effects such as Bridge and Highway will make General cost fewer Debt during your Buy phase.

Big fan of this one! Having cards on hand and ready to be throne-roomed is powerful, but this takes awhile to build up. The cost change effect is very unique as well. All the benefits of being able to buy this with debt and being able to remodel these into Provinces. I wonder if this concept would apply well to other cards.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 19, 2018, 02:06:27 pm »
+2

I decided to change Outskirts to the less flashy version. Perhaps it has a smaller chance of winning now, but rationally, there is no good reason to stick with the debt cost.

MattLee

• Spy
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 20, 2018, 12:35:54 am »
+2

Does this work with the rules of the game? Do unused actions disappear when you enter the buy phase?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 12:44:33 am by MattLee »

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +444
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 20, 2018, 01:26:05 am »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 20, 2018, 07:39:32 am »

First Submission:
$6* Lost Temple
Action-Doom
+2 Cards
+2 Actions

"+2 Cards, +1 Action, and +$1" I think is priced around $7.5, so giving this a base price of $6 with the added amount per duplicate you have in play seems about right. Also, given that this card rewards diversity it will keep players who try and spam these in line a bit.

Might be best to keep the price changes restricted to your Buy phase. Otherwise, it might be a nightmare to resolve trash for benefit cards during your Action phase. Not impossible though.

Thanks, fixed. My wording seemed a bit short.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 20, 2018, 07:56:47 am »

First Submission:
$6* Lost Temple
Action-Doom
+2 Cards
+2 Actions

Do you want it per card or per differently named card?

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 20, 2018, 08:22:13 am »

First Submission:
$6* Lost Temple
Action-Doom
+2 Cards
+2 Actions

Do you want it per card or per differently named card?
Differently named card, thanks.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 20, 2018, 03:00:58 pm »

Does this work with the rules of the game? Do unused actions disappear when you enter the buy phase?

I think it's too strong. I would price it at $7 even if it was just +2 Cards and +2 Actions, with no other bonuses.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: October 21, 2018, 08:09:58 am »

I think it's too strong. I would price it at $7 even if it was just +2 Cards and +2 Actions, with no other bonuses.
I agree with this, currently the card kind of does everything you need for it giving draw and +buy (as well as a village of course) so I think it'd be more interesting if you had to put in a little more work to get some +buy. I like the idea of the card though.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 21, 2018, 06:35:32 pm »
+3

There are some really strong entrants, and I'm going to have to go through them all and work out which one I like the most. So I haven't forgotten, but I might take a while.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 21, 2018, 11:54:19 pm »
+2

Ok, I think I'm ready. I have to reiterate - there were some really interesting cards that came out of this challenge. I am not a good judge of balance, so I made my pick on a few criteria: (1) did the alternative cost make sense, and add something interesting to the game, (2) did the card as a whole make sense to me, and (3) did the card sit in my "sweet spot" of complexity?

On that basis, I will first name a couple of runners up:

Sunken Village, by Kudasai
Outskirts, by Asper
Royal Retreat, by Aquila

But my final winner is a card that I would love to play with, despite some slight tracking issues, because it seems to create a cool interactive minigame:

Rare Earth, by Tejayes

Congratulations!

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 22, 2018, 02:06:18 am »
+1

Ok, I think I'm ready. I have to reiterate - there were some really interesting cards that came out of this challenge. I am not a good judge of balance, so I made my pick on a few criteria: (1) did the alternative cost make sense, and add something interesting to the game, (2) did the card as a whole make sense to me, and (3) did the card sit in my "sweet spot" of complexity?

On that basis, I will first name a couple of runners up:

Sunken Village, by Kudasai
Outskirts, by Asper
Royal Retreat, by Aquila

But my final winner is a card that I would love to play with, despite some slight tracking issues, because it seems to create a cool interactive minigame:

Rare Earth, by Tejayes

Congratulations!

Thank you so much, ConMan! And now...

CHALLENGE #5: NEW TYPE OF SPENDABLE TOKEN

This is a two-fold challenge. First, create a new use for the standard coin tokens used for Coffers and Villagers. Give it a name, describe when you can spend these tokens, and describe what happens when each token is spent. Second, create at least one card (up to three) that allows for gaining these tokens.

The best combination of token and card will be the winner. If your token is similar to a previously-submitted token, that's fine; just give it a different name at the very least.

If there are any questions about the parameters of this challenge, please ask away.

Edit: Changed rules to allow entrants to design up to three cards that all gain the same new token.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 02:08:35 pm by Tejayes »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 22, 2018, 02:40:21 am »
+1

Introducing the tokentoken. The tokentokens are any-token tokens. You may spend a tokentoken whenever you may spend any other token to get +1VP, + (like coffers), +1 action (like villagers), +1 card (we know that someone will make a +1 card token for this contest), add a token to the trade route mat (that counts for your trade routes only), or get the effect of any other token, except the adventures tokens (obviously).

Jabberwock
- Action - Attack - Reaction - Jubjub bird
Take 2 tokentokens. Each other player loses a tokentoken. If they don't, snicker-snack, they gain a curse.
-
When another player spends a tokentoken, you may trash any number of cards from your hand. For each card you trash this way, take a tokentoken.
-
When you trash this card, discard it and take a tokentoken, unless you trashed it with a vorpal blade.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.