Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547011 times)

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread {Design a card with variable cost.}
« Reply #250 on: October 15, 2018, 09:09:05 am »

Grand High Witch
Types: Action, Attack
Cost: $8*

+2 Cards
+1 Action
Each other player gains a Curse.
----
While this is in the supply, during your Buy phase, you may look through your discard pile.  When you buy this, you may return any number of Curse cards from your hand or discard pile to the supply.  For each one you return, this costs $1 less, to a minimum of $0.

Clarification: You may buy this card so long as you have enough coins to pay its reduced cost.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #251 on: October 15, 2018, 09:28:22 am »

As for the card itself... awesome looking! I loathe your ability to make a good Duchy alternative.
He he, thanks... ;)
What can I say, I love me some alt-VP <3

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +444
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 15, 2018, 01:51:00 pm »
+1

Gamer3000

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gamer3000
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 15, 2018, 03:44:41 pm »
+1

Propaganda
Type: Treasure
Cost: $6*
$2
+1 Buy
-
While this is in play, when you buy a card, +1 Villager.
-
This costs $1 more per Villager on your mat.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 04:22:42 pm by Gamer3000 »

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 15, 2018, 04:43:00 pm »
+2

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: October 15, 2018, 04:58:45 pm »
+3

Eeegads some of this wording is annoying me:

Propaganda
$2
+1 Buy
-
-

This needs better timing, like Peddler: "During your turn, this costs more per Villager you have on your mat."

Renovate

This doesn't need the ? in the cost, the on-buy effect works on its own.

Outskirts

You could just do this as "When you buy this, you may trash an Action from your hand. If you didn't, take ." Now the wording before was technically correct, but this would have fewer rules clarifications with paying off and would have a normal coin cost.

Rare Earth
Treasure - $5
When you play this, choose one: +$1 and gain a Rare Earth; or return this for +$ equal to its cost.
-
This costs $1 less for every two Rare Earth in the Supply (round down).

"When you play this, choose one: + and gain a Rare Earth; or return this to the supply for + equal to its cost in .
-
During your turn, this costs less for every two copies of Rare Earth in the Supply (round down)."
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 15, 2018, 05:10:46 pm »
+1

Renovate

You made this in-between the time that I read through the current submissions and finished up my own, sorry if mine's a bit similar to yours.
I think they're different enough that I'll post mine anyways, though:

Prophet
$2* Action

+ $2
Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. Trash any number of them, then put the rest back in any order.
-
This costs 2 debt more per copper you have in play.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 15, 2018, 05:30:25 pm »
+1

Prophet
$2* Action

+ $2
Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. Trash any number of them, then put the rest back in any order.
-
This costs 2 debt more per copper you have in play.

Again, there's no reason to put in the cost (other than to fulfil the challenge). Just make it "When you gain this, take 2 per Copper you have in play." It's much simpler from a rules standpoint.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 15, 2018, 05:50:53 pm »
+1

Clarification: Cost reduction effects such as Bridge and Highway will make General cost fewer Debt during your Buy phase.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 05:52:48 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 15, 2018, 06:12:17 pm »

Silver Smelter
$7* Action

+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Gain a Silver.

Silver produces $1 more this turn.
---
This costs $1 less per Silver you have in play.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 15, 2018, 06:34:06 pm »

Grand High Witch
Types: Action, Attack
Cost: $8*

+2 Cards
+1 Action
Each other player gains a Curse.
----
While this is in the supply, during your Buy phase, you may look through your discard pile.  When you buy this, you may return any number of Curse cards from your hand or discard pile to the supply.  For each one you return, this costs $1 less, to a minimum of $0.

Clarification: You may buy this card so long as you have enough coins to pay its reduced cost.

I feel like this needs to be reworded somehow. I see exactly what you intend to happen, but not sure that it works with the rules. Your clarification says you may buy it so long as you have enough to pay its reduced cost, but until after you have bought it, there is no way to determine what that reduced cost is! I think you need to have a way of reducing the cost before the buy actually happens. But the only way I can think of to keep identical functionality without breaking rules is pretty messy wording:

In games using this, at the start of your buy phase, you may look through your discard pile and reveal any number of Curses from your discard pile or your hand. This costs less for each Curse revealed this way. When you buy this, return all revealed Curses to the supply.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 15, 2018, 06:42:52 pm »
+2

Might as well try something random myself here.

The wonderful thing about this card is that when first reading it, I thought "it probably needs to also give +1 buy when you buy it, because otherwise there's always a chance that you won't have anything you can do with that you just got... OH WAIT it costs debt too!"
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 15, 2018, 10:01:27 pm »
+1

Eeegads some of this wording is annoying me:

Propaganda
$2
+1 Buy
-
-

This needs better timing, like Peddler: "During your turn, this costs more per Villager you have on your mat."

Renovate

This doesn't need the ? in the cost, the on-buy effect works on its own.

Outskirts

You could just do this as "When you buy this, you may trash an Action from your hand. If you didn't, take ." Now the wording before was technically correct, but this would have fewer rules clarifications with paying off and would have a normal coin cost.

Rare Earth
Treasure - $5
When you play this, choose one: +$1 and gain a Rare Earth; or return this for +$ equal to its cost.
-
This costs $1 less for every two Rare Earth in the Supply (round down).

"When you play this, choose one: + and gain a Rare Earth; or return this to the supply for + equal to its cost in .
-
During your turn, this costs less for every two copies of Rare Earth in the Supply (round down)."
Just wanna say, I agree with all of this, and I was actually literally just going to say the same thing about Outskirts.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 15, 2018, 10:19:55 pm »
+1

Older Version:
-
This costs $1 less per card you have multiple copies of in play.
First Submission:
$6* Lost Temple
Action-Doom
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
While this is in the Supply, once per turn during your buy phase you may
receive the next Hex. If you do, +1 Buy and this costs $3 less.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 08:09:31 am by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 15, 2018, 10:52:13 pm »
+1

Taking some advice from earlier to fix Rare Earth:

Rare Earth
Treasure - $6*
--
When you play this, choose one: +$1 and gain a Rare Earth; or return this to the supply for +$1 equal to its cost in $.
-
This costs $1 less for every two copies of Rare Earth in the Supply (round down).

I did not add the "During your turn" bit, though, because I want the cost to be the same for all players at all times.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 15, 2018, 11:05:07 pm »
+1

I agree Outskirts would work as ThetaSigma suggested. Personally, I regard it as still being a card with "variable cost" then, but that's up to Con Man.
It loses the debt in the "cost" cost, which you can see as both a good and a bad thing. For instance, it's easier to wrap your head around it being a 5$ basically if you trash a card, but it might be easier to miss that you need to take debt if you don't.

Not sure here. If I HAVE to decide for a version, I think this is the right one. Even if it's less flashy and perhaps not considered as "variable cost".
Edit: On second thought, a cost of 5$ would make it gainable by Remodels, which might be a tad too good... On the other hand, a Remodel already trashes a card from your hand. Perhaps I should just make it on gain. But then you could still give it to somebody with a.g. Swindler... You know what, I will think about this before the deadline ends.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 11:11:37 pm by Asper »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 16, 2018, 12:34:47 am »

This bears a strong resemblance to death cart when you think about it, but I like it. It may be a little too strong as-is. Death Cart has the drawback that you have to trash an action card.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 16, 2018, 01:00:56 am »

Silver Smelter
$7* Action

+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Gain a Silver.

Silver produces $1 more this turn.
---
This costs $1 less per Silver you have in play.

I am wondering if I should change this to +2 Cards instead of being a cantrip. That would make it much better as a BM enabler and it feels nicer from a flavor perspective. But it's moving away a little from what I was originally hoping for with the design - a card that could be strong with support in BM, but also could be a critical component of interesting engines that like silver.

With the current design I feel pretty alright about the pricing given its comparisons to market and grand market. If I changed it to +2 cards, it might need a bump to $8* because of it's BM strength but I am not so confident in that.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 16, 2018, 02:52:14 am »

This is my favourite. Superficially it looks like a mixture between Woodcutter, Cemetery and Donate but it will probably play very differently.
Wording-wise is should probably be something like "When you buy this, look through your discard pile, trash ..."

Even though there are some nice interactions between the cost reduction and the Hexing (War can trash your Lost Temple, Locusts makes a $2 out of it or trashes it) this is far too good; just compare it to Cursed Village.
I have a hard time imaging situations in which you hit $6 and don't take a Curse in order to be able to buy 2 Lost Temples (unless you want the cost reduction to be only applicable for the Buy and not until the end of the turn).

You could fix it e.g. via self-junking and for thematic reasons I'd pick Ruins. If there is no junking or sifting you paid $3 for a village that draws an extra card while having added a dead card to your deck so the two effects roughly balance each other out. If there is sifting or trashing though you can get rid off or sift through the dead card and you still got a bargain for $3.
So perhaps only reduce the cost by $2?

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #4: variable cost
« Reply #269 on: October 16, 2018, 05:08:12 am »

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 16, 2018, 06:49:40 am »

I feel like this needs to be reworded somehow. I see exactly what you intend to happen, but not sure that it works with the rules. Your clarification says you may buy it so long as you have enough to pay its reduced cost, but until after you have bought it, there is no way to determine what that reduced cost is! I think you need to have a way of reducing the cost before the buy actually happens. But the only way I can think of to keep identical functionality without breaking rules is pretty messy wording:

In games using this, at the start of your buy phase, you may look through your discard pile and reveal any number of Curses from your discard pile or your hand. This costs less for each Curse revealed this way. When you buy this, return all revealed Curses to the supply.

I agree the wording needs work.  I considered an "at the start of your buy phase" wording, but that isn't quite how I want it to work for multiple buys; with that wording, you could reveal 8 curses and then every GHW you buy would cost $0.

Perhaps something like this:

In games using this, at the start of your Buy phase, you may look through your discard pile and set aside any number of Curses from your discard pile or your hand.  This card costs less for each Curse still set aside in this way, to a minimum of .  When you buy this card, return a set-aside Curse to the supply for each that its price has been reduced by in this way.  At the end of your Buy phase, discard any remaining set-aside curses.

It's still pretty messy - I'm not happy with the "for each $1 that its price has been reduced by in this way" part, but I don't see how else to make it play properly with Bridge and friends.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 07:05:22 am by spiralstaircase »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 16, 2018, 07:18:28 am »

I did not add the "During your turn" bit, though, because I want the cost to be the same for all players at all times.

You need that clause there to determine the timing, and with that clause, it would affect all the copies of Rare Earth, even those owned by other players. See Peddler.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 16, 2018, 07:36:22 am »
+3

You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 16, 2018, 07:43:15 am »

Neat idea. It should be "the" Compass to be consistent with official cards, though.

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 16, 2018, 11:30:26 am »
+3

I wanted to try making an Event with variable cost.

Original version had a base cost of $2
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 01:45:53 pm by hypercube »
I have sigs off.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.