Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546999 times)

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #200 on: October 08, 2018, 01:40:56 pm »

It is not a new design and an Avanto variant:

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 04:14:21 pm by Holunder9 »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 08, 2018, 02:15:30 pm »
+1

Or perhaps a Wine Merchant variant.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 08, 2018, 03:56:46 pm »

I think you need to change this to have an on-call effect, otherwise you are not calling it but discarding it, and the challenge says for the card to have a novel on-call effect. Also, if you leave it at discarding it should say 'discard this from your Tavern mat.'
Maybe faust doesn't really care if it is actually an on-call effect or just discarding it though.

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 08, 2018, 05:17:23 pm »

Diarist - Action Reserve, $3 cost.
+1 Action
Put this on your Tavern mat.
-
When you shuffle, you may call this, to pick one of the cards and set it aside face down. Put it into your hand at the start of your next turn, then discard this.

Nice card! Feels like a natural fit into what you should be able to do with Reserve cards. A very useful call effect that probably needs the weak on-play to balance it out.

I'm sure anyone playing this would have no problem figuring out what it does, but I think it could use a slight wording tweak to be more in-line with what is actually happening when it is called. This would be my suggestion:

Also, is it your intention for Diarist to make the reshuffle that triggers it? If so, I'm not sure this will always be clear to the player that a called Diarist can set it itself aside for the next turn. You could make it a standard call clear this up and reduce the text at the same time. It would miss the reshuffle, but this nerf could open up buffing it in other areas like making it a cantrip, or giving it some coin on play. Here is how that could be worded (keeping the current on-play).

Hopefully I'm not overstepping by making a mockup for your card. I just think it's a great, clean card and I think it deserves to shine in this competition. Thanks for sharing!

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 05:20:27 pm by Kudasai »

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 08, 2018, 11:36:47 pm »
+3

Atelier

+1 Card
+1 Action
Put this on your tavern mat.
-
When you would gain a card, you may call this, to instead gain a card costing up to $1 more than it.

$5
Action - Reserve

Edit: Forgot to put card type in the text version
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 08:56:08 am by alion8me »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 09, 2018, 02:18:22 am »
+1

I haven't played Dominion in a while and I have no idea if this is balanced...

Traitor
Cost: $3
Type: Action/Reserve
+1 Card
+1 Action
+2 Coffers
---
When you buy a Duchy, you may call this.
Things you call should have an on-call effect, otherwise it would be 'discard this from your Tavern mat,' like Wine Merchant. For the contest you should have an on-call effect, unless faust contradicts me.
I think I am fine with anything that has a way to remove itself from the Tavern mat.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 09, 2018, 03:56:12 am »

+1 Action
-
When you shuffle, you may call this, to pick one of the cards and set it aside face down. Put it into your hand at the start of your next turn, then discard this.

Nice card! Feels like a natural fit into what you should be able to do with Reserve cards. A very useful call effect that probably needs the weak on-play to balance it out.

I'm sure anyone playing this would have no problem figuring out what it does, but I think it could use a slight wording tweak to be more in-line with what is actually happening when it is called.
I borrowed the wording from Star Chart. "When you shuffle, you may pick one of the cards" to set aside in the manner of Haven. Calling a Reserve brings it into play, so I hoped it would be intuitive to put the card face down under it to track what it was set aside for. 

Also, is it your intention for Diarist to make the reshuffle that triggers it? If so, I'm not sure this will always be clear to the player that a called Diarist can set it itself aside for the next turn. You could make it a standard call clear this up and reduce the text at the same time. It would miss the reshuffle, but this nerf could open up buffing it in other areas like making it a cantrip, or giving it some coin on play. Here is how that could be worded (keeping the current on-play).

Hopefully I'm not overstepping by making a mockup for your card. I just think it's a great, clean card and I think it deserves to shine in this competition. Thanks for sharing!
This second variant is almost exactly the intent, missing the shuffle to balance it further. I had it discard itself after it's done holding the card so it only misses one shuffle, but it may not need it?

I don't mind your mock-up at all, really I appreciate your post. I was on a tablet when I posted it so couldn't do a mock-up, so thanks.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 09, 2018, 03:16:20 pm »

+1 Action
-

I'm sure anyone playing this would have no problem figuring out what it does, but I think it could use a slight wording tweak to be more in-line with what is actually happening when it is called.
I borrowed the wording from Star Chart. "When you shuffle, you may pick one of the cards" to set aside in the manner of Haven. Calling a Reserve brings it into play, so I hoped it would be intuitive to put the card face down under it to track what it was set aside for. 

This second variant is almost exactly the intent, missing the shuffle to balance it further. I had it discard itself after it's done holding the card so it only misses one shuffle, but it may not need it?

I don't mind your mock-up at all, really I appreciate your post. I was on a tablet when I posted it so couldn't do a mock-up, so thanks.

Ahh, I now see that the discarding of Diarist happens the next turn after putting the set aside card into your hand. I guess the problem would have been how does Diarist go from being called into play to being set aside? You'd need some extra text to execute that. As you already mentioned though, the second mockup should play essentially the same without any rules issues.

Glad you like the mockups. I won't at all be offended if you go with your own mockups though. Half the fun of making fan cards is getting the choose the artwork. Actually, half the time choosing the artwork is a nightmare for me, but that's other story.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 09, 2018, 03:29:00 pm »

My first thought/fear was that it's probably pretty good with Big Money as you will always have 1 extra Action at the end of each turn to get Azure Coves back into the shuffle, but this is essentially a less efficient Smithy Big Money Deck. So you've got a very powerful card that appears to become less efficient in mass quantities. Very nice design!

As others have said though, this should read "...to discard this from your Tavern mat."

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 09, 2018, 04:19:40 pm »

Atelier

+1 Card
+1 Action
-
When you would gain a card, you may call this, to instead gain a card costing up to $1 more than it.

$5
Action - Reserve
I like this. If you use it "normally" during your Buy phase it is to Baker as Coin of the Realm is to a Villagers. You cannot always use it like a Peddler though, e.g. when you hit 6 in a Kingdom without 7s you cannot use this to a gain a Province. So not all that great
But it can shine in combination with Workshop variants or as defense against junkers.

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 09, 2018, 04:36:52 pm »

Atelier

+1 Card
+1 Action
-

$5
Action - Reserve
I like this. If you use it "normally" during your Buy phase it is to Baker as Coin of the Realm is to a Villagers. You cannot always use it like a Peddler though, e.g. when you hit 6 in a Kingdom without 7s you cannot use this to a gain a Province. So not all that great
But it can shine in combination with Workshop variants or as defense against junkers.
And much like with Smokehouse, you can save these up and use them on a single card gain, provided you have no gaps in card costs. In games with $7-cost cards, Poor House, and/or Bridge-variants, you could get Cursed, but then call series of Ateliers to eventually take you up to a good card. In most games, you should easily be able to buy a $2 card, then call four Ateliers to get a Gold.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 09, 2018, 05:16:30 pm »
+1

Atelier

+1 Card
+1 Action
-

$5
Action - Reserve
And much like with Smokehouse, you can save these up and use them on a single card gain, provided you have no gaps in card costs. In games with $7-cost cards, Poor House, and/or Bridge-variants, you could get Cursed, but then call series of Ateliers to eventually take you up to a good card. In most games, you should easily be able to buy a $2 card, then call four Ateliers to get a Gold.

Maybe lose the +1 Card and make it cost $1 to enable that in every game?

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 09, 2018, 06:43:46 pm »
+1

City Founders
$3 Action-Reserve
+2 Villagers
Place a Coin token each on two different non-Victory Action Supply piles.
-
When an opponent gains a non-Victory card, you may call this, to take the Coin tokens on that card's Supply pile as Coffers or Villagers.

Note: I had to specify "non-Victory" both times to prevent weird interactions with Trade Route.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 08:08:35 pm by Erick648 »
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

alion8me

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 09, 2018, 08:38:31 pm »
+1

City Founders
$3 Action-Reserve
+2 Villagers
Place a Coin token on a non-Victory Action Supply pile.
-
When an opponent gains a non-Victory card, you may call this, to take the Coin tokens on that card's Supply pile as Coffers or Villagers.

Note: I had to specify "non-Victory" both times to prevent weird interactions with Trade Route.
This is interesting - however, it seems kind of weak. Assuming that you have a way to make your opponent gain a certain card (e.g. cursers) it gives you +2 Villagers and +1 of either coffers or villagers, which seems pretty good in the right situations, but still not particularly powerful. However, outside of that, you're playing a card for +2 Villagers (kind of like a more flexible Necropolis) and hoping your opponent buys a card with the tokens on top of it sometime soon, so that you can get your bonus and play the card again. Since its a village (and you're presumably going to want to be able to play them consistently), this makes it seem pretty weak.

However, the villager tokens probably alleviate some of the inconsistency problems and I haven't ever played with them, so maybe this is stronger than I think it looks.

It's also kind of neat how this card interacts with itself if the other player also has it. If you both have City Founders on your tavern mat, who will be the first one to buy a card with coin tokens on it? It seems like in this case you'd probably want to deny your opponent their City Founders though - having the ability to chain actions is usually much more powerful than any single card (this isn't an issue if there are other villages). I like the concept of it only being able to be called when your opponent gains a certain card, though - it just seems like it might work better on something that's not as integral to a deck as villages are.

Also, how does it work in multiplayer?

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 10, 2018, 07:45:32 am »

This might make it too good against junkers:
A plays Witch
B calls Atelier to gain an Atelier instead of a Curse

Yeah, it needs some tiebreaker / call order rules.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 10, 2018, 08:16:46 am »
+2

A plays Witch

A plays Witch after playing three bridges.
B calls two Atteliers and gains Ill Gotten Gains.
A calls two Atteliers and gains Ill Gotten Gains.
C calls two Atteliers and gains Ill Gotten Gains.
A gains 3 curses
B gains 2 curses
C gains 2 curses
Did I do that right? I could've gone on longer if I had made A play more bridges, because I only stopped because I ran out of Atteliers.
Fun stuff?

alion8me

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 10, 2018, 09:29:33 am »

A plays Witch

A plays Witch after playing three bridges.
A calls two Atteliers and gains Ill Gotten Gains.
A gains 3 curses
B gains 2 curses
C gains 2 curses
Did I do that right? I could've gone on longer if I had made A play more bridges, because I only stopped because I ran out of Atteliers.
Fun stuff?

I think that's correct. (I was talking about City Founders, although its a good point that IGG+Atelier is kind of confusing. However, I would expect this to rarely show up in practice because playing a junker when everything on the board is cost reduced and your opponent has an Atelier is probably a sub-optimal move)

I actually had another variant of the card in mind that turns it into more of a Silver+ type of thing and lets it gain provinces;

Atelier Variant

+1 Action
-
When you would gain a card, you may call this, to instead gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.

$5
Action - Reserve

I'm kind of worried that it would be too strong though because now you can use it on silver gainers to get $5's, gold gainers to get provinces, curses/ruins attacks to get $2's, and chaining them is insane. So this isn't my submission, the first Atelier still is.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 10, 2018, 09:52:07 am »

Yeah, I think the easy solution is to never play with Atelier and IGG.

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 10, 2018, 08:08:06 pm »

City Founders
$3 Action-Reserve
+2 Villagers
-

This is interesting - however, it seems kind of weak. Assuming that you have a way to make your opponent gain a certain card (e.g. cursers) it gives you +2 Villagers and +1 of either coffers or villagers, which seems pretty good in the right situations, but still not particularly powerful. However, outside of that, you're playing a card for +2 Villagers (kind of like a more flexible Necropolis) and hoping your opponent buys a card with the tokens on top of it sometime soon, so that you can get your bonus and play the card again. Since its a village (and you're presumably going to want to be able to play them consistently), this makes it seem pretty weak.

However, the villager tokens probably alleviate some of the inconsistency problems and I haven't ever played with them, so maybe this is stronger than I think it looks.

It's also kind of neat how this card interacts with itself if the other player also has it. If you both have City Founders on your tavern mat, who will be the first one to buy a card with coin tokens on it? It seems like in this case you'd probably want to deny your opponent their City Founders though - having the ability to chain actions is usually much more powerful than any single card (this isn't an issue if there are other villages). I like the concept of it only being able to be called when your opponent gains a certain card, though - it just seems like it might work better on something that's not as integral to a deck as villages are.

Yeah, I intended it as a non-attack interaction card.  I originally made the tokens stay on the piles permanently, but that seemed too powerful since it got exponential (your opponent gains a key card with three tokens on it; you call your five City Founders for 3x5=15 Coffers).  In multiplayer, players get the option to call City Founders in turn order, as with Reactions, etc.  Note that you can call it even if your opponent gains a card without tokens on it, if you just want to play it again (meaning that you can play it every turn unless your opponent gains no non-Victory cards).  And yes, you can poach your opponent's tokens if he gains the card first.

It's hard for me to gauge how strong it is, but you're probably right that it's a little weak.  I've edited it to add two tokens instead of one.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 08:09:43 pm by Erick648 »
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

alion8me

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 10, 2018, 08:59:48 pm »

City Founders
$3 Action-Reserve
+2 Villagers
-

Yeah, I intended it as a non-attack interaction card.  I originally made the tokens stay on the piles permanently, but that seemed too powerful since it got exponential (your opponent gains a key card with three tokens on it; you call your five City Founders for 3x5=15 Coffers).  In multiplayer, players get the option to call City Founders in turn order, as with Reactions, etc.  Note that you can call it even if your opponent gains a card without tokens on it, if you just want to play it again (meaning that you can play it every turn unless your opponent gains no non-Victory cards).  And yes, you can poach your opponent's tokens if he gains the card first.

It's hard for me to gauge how strong it is, but you're probably right that it's a little weak.  I've edited it to add two tokens instead of one.

Wow, I didn't realize that you could call it even if your opponent gains non-victory cards without tokens on them. In that case, ~90% of the criticisms I had of the card are completely invalid. This also makes endgame with this card a lot more interesting than my misread-version, because when your opponent greens, they also deny you your villages that you were probably getting to use a lot before that.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 10, 2018, 10:41:16 pm »
+2

Vanishing City
Action - Reserve - $3

+2 Cards
-----
When you play a Vanishing City, you may call this, for +1 Action.
Isn't each one after the first a Laboratory? I mean, you can stack them for multiple +Actions, but you could also ignore that and just have $3 Laboratories.

Coffee Shop
$4 Action-Reserve
-
When you gain an action or treasure card, you may call this to set aside the gained card and play it at the start of your next turn.
This wants to accelerate higher cost cards at the cost of buying and playing the Coffee Shop first. I'm not sure if this will ever be worth the opportunity cost as written, though I like it a fair bit. It needs to be cheaper and easier to get onto your Tavern mat.

Smokehouse
Action-Reserve - $4

Trash a card from your hand.
----
When you trash a card, you may call this, for +1 Coffers per $1 it costs.
The fact that it can't trigger off of itself is a neat limiter to the power of Coffers. The stacking is something that I'd like to see play out in some games.

Revolutionist
Types: Action, Reserve
Cost: $5
+2 Cards. Put this on your Tavern mat.
When you would draw any number of cards (of any number), you may call this to instead get +$3.
I like this. It's a weak draw that turns any non-stop card into economy once you're ready for economy. I think it might need to cost $6. Does anyone else have any thoughts about this one?

Dwarven Smith
Types: Action, Reserve
Cost: $2
+1 Action. Put this on your Tavern mat.
When you gain a Gold, you may call this to gain a card costing up to $2 per Dwarven Smith remaining on your Tavern mat.
It takes 5 Dwarven Smiths to get Gold\Province\Duchy, which you could theoretically setup to do again. Curious, though I'm not sure this is very flexible since you have to gain Golds and then weather the Dwarven Smiths coming back home.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 11, 2018, 02:16:23 am »
+1

Modded my card so it isn't so weak.

Coffee Shop
$3 Action-Reserve
+1 Action.
-
When you gain an action or treasure card, you may call this to set aside the gained card and play it at the start of your next turn.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 11, 2018, 11:12:09 am »
+1

Smokehouse
Action-Reserve - $4

Trash a card from your hand.
----
When you trash a card, you may call this, for +1 Coffers per $1 it costs.
The fact that it can't trigger off of itself is a neat limiter to the power of Coffers. The stacking is something that I'd like to see play out in some games.
Player 1 (I'll call them Owen) has 4 Smokehouses on his Tavern mat.
Owen plays a Smokehouse.
Owen trashes a Province.
Owen calls a Smokehouse for +8 Coffers.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 11, 2018, 11:13:16 am »

Modded my card so it isn't so weak.

Coffee Shop
$3 Action-Reserve
+1 Action.
-
That should work.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 11, 2018, 11:33:30 am »

Here's Chappy7's Scrapper with the image fixed. I hope this is okay.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 22 queries.