Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546349 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2018, 02:44:48 pm »
+1

Royalties, 5$, Treasure
$2
+1 Villager

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2018, 03:18:43 pm »
+1

Supervisor
Type: Action
Cost: $5
+1 Card
+1 Villager
+$1
--------
Setup: Each player gets +1 Villager

(This seems obvious, and I'd be a little surprised if that setup doesn't appear on an actual card.)

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2018, 03:22:10 pm »

I am pretty sure that there won't be many "Villager cantrips" as you often have to use the Villager immediately anyway.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2018, 04:06:16 pm »
+1

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2018, 05:00:18 am »

Challenge #2: Simple and Elegant Submission

Hopefully I'm assuming correctly that "+1 Card" etcetera is considered one word. :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 06:21:57 am by Kudasai »

Gamer3000

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gamer3000
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2018, 09:09:04 am »

Pawn Shop
Cost: $2
Discard any number of cards. For each card discarded, +1 Villager or +$1

Old Version:
Pawn Shop
Discard any number of cards. For each card discarded, +1 Villager or +1 Coffers.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 01:46:32 pm by Gamer3000 »

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2018, 09:37:29 am »
+1

Pawn Shop
Discard any number of cards. For each card discarded, +1 Villager or +1 Coffers.
I like this a lot. It is better than Secret Chamber (if you ignore its Reaction part) but that removed card was pretty weak so that's not an issue.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2018, 12:10:51 pm »
+4

Pawn Shop
I like this a lot. It is better than Secret Chamber (if you ignore its Reaction part) but that removed card was pretty weak so that's not an issue.
So much better that I'm pretty sure this is broken. If you get +4 Coffers every time you'll end up getting Provinces way too fast.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2018, 12:58:00 pm »
+1

Pawn Shop
So much better that I'm pretty sure this is broken. If you get +4 Coffers every time you'll end up getting Provinces way too fast.

Judging from an Event I tested, which costed 2$ and gave +1 Buy, +1 Coffers, I can confirm that card-shaped things that enable you to trivially amass Coffers by skipping turns is broken, and more importantly, no fun.

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2018, 02:09:50 pm »

« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 10:05:58 am by Tejayes »

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +444
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2018, 02:31:12 pm »

(ab)

(Possibly cheating.)

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2018, 05:20:15 pm »

Pawn Shop
Discarding your entire hand for 4 Coffers doesn't look very impressive to me. And the notion that this enables quick Province gaining is dubious. Even if you first thinned your deck enough and bought enough Pawn Shops to be able to play one per turn you'd need 8 turns to gain 4 Provinces and nothing else (ignoring that you thus reduce the chance to play a Pawn Shop per turn).
Seems like the kind of analysis that comes to the conclusion that Silver is an overpowered card because a hand of only Silvers allows you to gain a Province. Such a hand is so strong that even after a Villain attack you can buy a Province! Crazy Silver!

vishwathg

• Navigator
  • Respect: +92
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2018, 05:25:02 pm »

Pawn Shop
Discarding your entire hand for 4 Coffers doesn't look very impressive to me. And the notion that this enables quick Province gaining is dubious. Even if you first thinned your deck enough and bought enough Pawn Shops to be able to play one per turn you'd need 8 turns to gain 4 Provinces and nothing else (ignoring that you thus reduce the chance to play a Pawn Shop per turn).
Seems like the kind of analysis that comes to the conclusion that Silver is an overpowered card because a hand of only Silvers allows you to gain a Province. Such a hand is so strong that even after a Villain attack you can buy a Province! Crazy Silver!

But you only need 1 Pawn Shop per turn, not 5 Silvers.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2018, 05:41:33 pm »

Pawn Shop

But you only need 1 Pawn Shop per turn, not 5 Silvers.
So? You just need one Vault to always reach 6! Great cycling so far far far better than Pawn Shop! Totally crazy, now you can buy Golds and that Vault soons hits 8! You just need one or two and gaining Golds and then Provinces becomes a piece of cake!

That's partial analysis and it is highly dubious. But let's nonetheless play this game:

Let's assume that you have to buy 5 Pawn Shops to consistently use them and that you play them 8 times for 32 Coin tokens and buy 4 Provinces (now your deck has 19 cards). So 13 moves to get half the Provinces is probably a bit too quick. But if you add 2 bad turns in which you draw no Pawn Shop we are already up to 15. Still better than Big Money though so perhaps a bit too good.

Add any attack, handsize, junking or whatever, and that entire thing becomes more complicated. With handsize attacks Pawn Shop fails and with junking attacks you need trashers or more Pawn Shops. If there is a quick engine it also fails.

So yeah, perhaps too good, perhaps not. Has to be tested to be definitely determined.

Umadin

• Steward
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2018, 12:58:47 am »

(ab)

(Possibly cheating.)

I feel like this should be 2 still maybe 3.  Like chapel, most people will just buy one, the artifact wont enter your posession until after your first chapel and it seems the chance of that being passed along before payout is high.  Even at 2 chapel still shows almost equal strength since you limit trashing to 3.

I like this very much though!

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2018, 02:27:30 am »
+9

You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2018, 05:42:24 am »

Pawn Shop

You are not ignoring anything here because there is nothing to ignore. The strangth of Coffers lies, among other things, with the fact that you can ammass them over several turns, and spend them later. You don't have to buy a Province as soon as you have enough tokens. That's the first part of your reasoning that's wrong.

The second part is, you don't need 8 tokend to buy a Province. You might need 4. Or 3 even. Maybe 5 if you are unlucky or late game, but that's it. On average, every skipped turn becomes a Province later.

But you don't need to trust someone who tested a very similar premise. Trust your hyperbolical Silver comparisons.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2018, 05:45:10 am »

This is awesome. I was really surprised when Nocturne didn't have any cards that make use of your unspent coins, and this has a cute catch. Just not sure whether it should spend those Actions/Coins...

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2018, 08:12:27 am »

The second part is, you don't need 8 tokend to buy a Province. You might need 4. Or 3 even. Maybe 5 if you are unlucky or late game, but that's it. On average, every skipped turn becomes a Province later.
You still need two turns. One turn in which you produce the 4 Coffers, another turn in which you play 4 Coppers or whatever. A Province every second turn after some build-up is good but not game breaking. I'd test the card at $4 or $5. At $5 I'd consider making it non-terminal although that might be redundant due to the ability to gainer Villagers via it.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2018, 08:13:44 am »

You still need two turns. One turn in which you produce the 4 Coffers, another turn in which you play 4 Coppers or whatever. A Province every second turn is good but not game breaking. I'd test the card at $5.

It doesn't have to be game breaking if it's both dull and strong. Big money isn't game breaking, nonetheless it often being a strong and easy strategy was the biggest flaw of base. Arguably, Chapel is more broken than Rebuild, but unlike Rebuild, it isn't dull. That's the main problem here.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2018, 08:15:53 am »

Ignoring the circle of converting previously gained Villagers into Actions and then into Coffers I guess that the latter option is  more important. I'd also test the card at $4. While Recruiter is extremly strong and shouldn't be a benchmark this seems nonetheless weaker than it.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2018, 08:19:27 am »

You still need two turns. One turn in which you produce the 4 Coffers, another turn in which you play 4 Coppers or whatever. A Province every second turn is good but not game breaking. I'd test the card at $5.

It doesn't have to be game breaking if it's both dull and strong. Big money isn't game breaking, nonetheless it often being a strong and easy strategy was the biggest flaw of base. Arguably, Chapel is more broken than Rebuild, but unlike Rebuild, it isn't dull. That's the main problem here.
I fail to see why this card is supposed to be dull (not that such subjective issues are relevant in the first place; somebody might view BM as dull or a hyperthin Chapel deck as dull). Discard for benefit always competes with sifters and trashers and this is in no way a no-brainer if is priced correctly (as I wrote in my last post, I was totally wrong about the balance, this has to cost $4 or $5).

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2018, 08:21:03 am »

Ignoring the circle of converting previously gained Villagers into Actions and then into Coffers I guess that the latter option is  more important.

You can't use Villagers outside your Action phase, so there is no circle.

I fail to see why this card is supposed to be dull. Discard for benefit always competes with sifters and trashers and this is in no way a no-brainer if is priced correctly (as I wrote in my last post, I was totally wrong about the balance, this has to cost $4 or $5).

As usual, you insist to disagree, and that's fine with me. I feel I have sufficiently supported my point for others to draw their own conclusions.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2018, 08:23:42 am »

Circle like in Transmure-esque circle.
Previously, like in Backstreet played previously, on a previous turn.
T1: Coins -> Villagers | T2:  Villagers -> Actions -> Coffers

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2018, 08:26:09 am »

I wrote previously, like in Backstreet playd previously, on a previous turn.
T1: Coins -> Villagers | T2:  Villagers -> Actions -> Coffers

That's true, of course.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.