Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547660 times)

MochaMoko

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: MochaMoko
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #7900 on: December 21, 2020, 05:57:33 am »

Rally ⑤ Action - Traveller
+1 Buy
+②
You may discard 2 cards
to gain a Rally.
-
When you discard this from
play, you may exchange it for
a Campaign.
Campaign ⑥* Action - Traveller
+2 Actions
-
When you discard this from
play, if you've gained at least
3 cards this turn, choose one:
+2 VP, or exchange this for a
Homecoming.
(This is not in the Supply.)
Homecoming ⑦* Action
You may play an Action
card from your hand twice.
If you do, +2 Cards.
-
(This is not in the Supply.)

This is a Traveller line that I've been fiddling with for quite a while. I have a lot to say about it, but I'll try to make my explanation short! (´ε`;)

Rally is not powerful, but hey it's +Buy, and it gains itself, which makes the Traveller entry cost of ⑤ less expensive if you have dreams to build big.

Campaign was originally +2 VP on play, which was the impetus behind making the line in the first place (try to make an unconditional +2 VP Action card!). I ended up giving up on that, and now the line plays a little minigame instead.

Homecoming can only be gotten by forgoing some +VP, but we can get back to doing that after building some more! The +2 Cards only comes after you finish Throning an Action card. This is significantly weaker than +2 Cards outright, but it should still make for a pretty powerful card.

I'd like there to be 6 copies of Campaign and Homecoming instead of the usual 5 (maybe even 8? Nah, probably too many). Homecoming will likely not be able to sustain an engine by itself, but I think the line as a whole will be able to give powerful enough support and payload to an otherwise-decent engine board to be worth getting, with simple +buy/gains from Rally, and alt-VP from Campaign.

CHANGES (23 Dec):
Rally: Changed from "may discard 3 cards" to "2 cards"
Campaign: Changed from "+1 Action" to "+2 Actions"
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 03:53:01 am by MochaMoko »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #7901 on: December 21, 2020, 08:06:45 am »

Drunken Huntsman
$5 - Action - Attack
+1 Card, +1 Action, +$1.
Each other player discards down to 4 cards in hand. Then each player with any cards in hand passes one to the next such player to their left, at once.
I've been waiting for a chance to use this card for one of these contests.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7902 on: December 21, 2020, 08:13:32 am »

<Rally/Campaign/Homecoming>
Welcome to the forums!

I like these ideas, but I think they'd be balanced fine if you reduced the cost for each of them by $1. Or, if you want Rally's self-gaining to make up for the high cost, you could make it only need to discard 2 cards to gain another Rally.

Actually I think Campaign and Homecoming could use to be slightly stronger even after reducing the cost.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #7903 on: December 21, 2020, 09:58:06 am »
+1

Drunken Huntsman
$5 - Action - Attack
+1 Card, +1 Action, +$1.
Each other player discards down to 4 cards in hand. Then each player with any cards in hand passes one to the next such player to their left, at once.
There are two cantrip Attacks in the game. Urchin is weak and only rarely worthwhile in and of itself (Governor, Council Room) and Familiar is hard to get.
This is a Peddler+ that has, unlike the above two cards, no downsize while featuring at the same time an Attack that is similar in strength to Militia (discard a bad card, keep a bad card is not that different from discarding two bad cards).

The idea is fine but it has to be put on a terminal (IMO even a non-cantrip, non-terminal would be too harsh).

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #7904 on: December 21, 2020, 10:13:19 am »
+1

Hedge Fund • Landmark
At Clean-Up, if you have exactly 1 unspent Buy, take 1% from here
-
Setup: Place 3 % here per player. Each player starts with their entire deck in their hand. On your first turn, +1 Buy.

Your first two turns are now your first turn.
Has some comparisons to Baths, especially in No-Plus-Buy games, but the opening change up is really the meat and potatoes of the card - the VP is negligible except in extremely close games.
Inspired by listening to an old Adam Horton podcast where he lets opponents choose their openings.

Named because it allows me to make the visual pun of a hedge maze, and because Hedge Funds are (in theory, anyway) judicious with their buys.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 12:31:25 pm by spineflu »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7905 on: December 21, 2020, 10:23:16 am »

Drunken Huntsman
$5 - Action - Attack
+1 Card, +1 Action, +$1.
There are two cantrip Attacks in the game. Urchin is weak and only rarely worthwhile in and of itself (Governor, Council Room) and Familiar is hard to get.
This is a Peddler+ that has, unlike the above two cards, no downsize while featuring at the same time an Attack that is similar in strength to Militia (discard a bad card, keep a bad card is not that different from discarding two bad cards).

The idea is fine but it has to be put on a terminal (IMO even a non-cantrip, non-terminal would be too harsh).

Why? It only attacks once per turn. A cantrip attack is only bad if it stacks.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #7906 on: December 21, 2020, 10:34:24 am »
+1

Masquerade and Militia / Goons has to be set up, you need quite some splitters to make it work.
Here you get the entire thing in just one card (albeit with a weaker, only half-power handsize Attack). And we just talk about the cherry on top, the main course is the Peddler.

That's simply too good / centralizing / easy.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7907 on: December 21, 2020, 11:27:27 am »

Heist- Event
Everyone (including you) reveals the top two cards of their deck. Gain a treasure costing up to the number of revealed. Return the cards back to the top of their deck in any order (player's choice)
Seems risky, pay $3 adn gain a Copper. So perhaps make it non-mandatory?
I'd also reconsider the scaling, in 3P games it is 50% better than in 2P games.
would adding "may gain a treasure" and then making only the player to left/right balance it slightly?

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #7908 on: December 21, 2020, 12:19:10 pm »
+3

FAQ: The two set-aside cards should usually be different, but can be the same card. It's recommended to pick them randomly.

Edit: made changes susggested by Xen3k and gambit05
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 01:36:38 pm by pubby »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #7909 on: December 21, 2020, 12:31:46 pm »
+1

I like this idea. I think the first part can probably be simplified as "Discard a card. Play the two set-aside cards in any order leaving them there."

Seeing as you discard a card and the card you are playing are limited to $3 or less, I think this could possibly work as a $5 cost card. Need to look at the list of card to see if that would be busted in any combination, but that is my first take.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 03:04:20 pm by Xen3k »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #7910 on: December 21, 2020, 03:57:34 pm »
+1

Heist- Event
Everyone (including you) reveals the top two cards of their deck. Gain a treasure costing up to the number of revealed. Return the cards back to the top of their deck in any order (player's choice)

What happens if someone reveals a Victory card worth variable , such as Gardens? You don't know how much was revealed then.

First of all, welcome to the forums.

Second, I think all of these are WAAAAYYYYY too weak. It's extremely difficult to make Campaign be not a Ruined Village (and a payoff of +2 isn't usually worth getting so many cards you frequently don't want, especially with how difficult it is to gain 3 cards in one turn), and with how hard it is to get Homecoming, I'd expect something even more powerful than King's Court, and I think Homecoming would be too weak for how difficult it is to get even if the +2 Cards was unconditional and came first. And Rally's only worth buying because you need to in order to get Campaign, which you need to get Homecoming, so the weakness of Homecoming and Campaign makes Rally weak by extension. Just look at the official Traveller lines: Every official Traveller costing and up is either slightly or blatantly overpowered for its "cost," and they don't have special conditions that need to be met before you can upgrade them. Whereas both Rally and Campaign are underpowered for their costs, and Campaign is even arguably actually worse than Rally, and while Homecoming is overpowered for its cost, it's not enough overpowered to make up for how difficult it is to get.

Just to outline how hard it is to get Homecoming in a set with this and no other source of +Buys or gainers (or just no Villages or Villagers, even if you do have other +Buy sources and gainers), this is what you'd have to go through:
1. Get a Rally and a Campaign both in the same hand.
2. Play the Campaign, then the Rally. Discard the 3 cards to gain a Rally. You'll probably have no hand left at this point since Rally and Campaign don't draw, and 3 discarded + 1 Rally + 1 Campaign = 5, the default handsize.
3. You have and 2 Buys. You've gained a Rally so far this turn, so you need to spend both your Buys to get Campaign to trigger. So you buy a cost card (probably either a weak Action or an Estate, if this Kingdom has no 's). And then you need to buy a Copper.

So in order to get a Homecoming, you need to first buy a cost, exchange it for a Campaign, buy another cost to replace the Rally you just lost, get the stars to align well enough to collide your Rally and Campaign, and then gain yet another underpowered Rally along with two cards you almost definitely don't want just to get a card that's maybe on par with King's Court, and probably could've just bought with a lot less hassle by now if it was in the Supply. And don't forget that because you needed to buy Rally twice, you had to forgo two buys of good s just to get here, thus making Homecoming weaker because you have fewer good cards to Throne in your deck than you would if you weren't trying to get the Homecoming.

All of this said, I think this Traveller line would be fine if Campaign was changed to:

+1 Card
+1 Action

When you discard this from play, you may exchange this for a Homecoming. If you don't, and you gained at least 3 cards this turn, +2.

This way, it isn't completely dead when it doesn't trigger, and all the problems with Homecoming's difficulty of acquisition are fixed. Although tbh, because of Rally's self-gaining, this may reverse the issue to making Homecoming too easy to gain...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 04:50:00 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7911 on: December 21, 2020, 04:50:39 pm »

Heist- Event

What happens if you reveal a Victory card worth variable , such as Gardens? You don't know how much you revealed then.
Good point. Any ideas for a fix?

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #7912 on: December 21, 2020, 05:10:31 pm »
+2

I like this idea. I think the first part can probably be simplified as "Discard a card. Play the two set-aside cards in any order leaving them there."

Seeing as you discard a card and the card you are playing are limited to $3 or less, I think this could possibly work as a $5 cost card. Need to look at the list of card to see if that would be busted in any combination, but that is my first take.
Those seem like good changes to make. Thanks!

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #7913 on: December 21, 2020, 08:43:15 pm »

Heist- Event

What happens if you reveal a Victory card worth variable , such as Gardens? You don't know how much you revealed then.
Good point. Any ideas for a fix?

You could make it depend on the number of Victory cards revealed rather than the amount of VP revealed.  However, this card doesn't really scale well (much weaker in a 2-player game than a 4-player game). 

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #7914 on: December 21, 2020, 10:21:12 pm »
+2

Treadwheel Crane $5
Action
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing $1 to $2 more than it. If the card you gain is an...
Action Card, +1 Villager.
Treasure card, +1 Coffer.
Victory card, +1VP.

A Remodel variant. I was looking for an alternate name, but the synonyms for Upgrade or Remodel are all mostly used up. Basically it is similar to Ironworks in the bonus rewards, but uses tokens. I was originally going to give a reward based on what was trashed, but I think it is far more interesting to reward based on what is gained as their should be more options to get the reward you want. It should be ok at $5, but I am open to making adjustments to the design. Over-all a pretty simple design. Critiques are appreciated!

MochaMoko

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: MochaMoko
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #7915 on: December 22, 2020, 12:35:55 am »
+1

I think all of these are WAAAAYYYYY too weak.

Thanks for the feedback!

I don't think that these cards are so strong, definitely weaker than the official Travellers. They are not something you go for every game. Teacher and Champion make engines from almost nothing (of course, there are the rare Page-skip and Peasant-skip boards too). Homecoming is more like Disciple in that it's really good when there's already mostly something going on, since they're both Throne Room-pluses (Disciple is probably stronger than Homecoming, you got me there).

A Kingdom with only Rally will never see Rally ever exchanged, yes. It takes quite a lot of work to get that deck going, but the idea is that there will be times where you can spare that effort to make a bigger engine.
  If there is either some draw or some other sort of gains on the board, Campaigns become easier to activate. Then Homecomings help activate more Campaigns, with their draw. If there is no trashing, no draw, or no other gains, we skip Campaign.

That being said, 3 cards is a lot to discard. The only card that really has that as a payment is Secret Cave, and that's a cantrip.
Rally should probably be discard 2 cards (as LibraryAdventurer pointed out. I deliberated between 2 and 3 cards at the last moment, but I settled on 3). I could see Campaign being +2 Actions. I might even be able to see the starting cost reduced. But I want these cards to be hard to get. Extra gains are not hard to come by on a modern Dominion board, so I think that 3 gains makes it more likely to be an interesting minigame (Labyrinth is one of the most trivial Landmarks).

I am currently considering changing Rally to "you may discard 2 cards to gain a Rally" and Campaign to giving +2 Actions. More feedback is appreciated!

Treadwheel Crane $5
Action
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing $1 to $2 more than it. If the card you gain is an...
Action Card, +1 Villager.
Treasure card, +1 Coffer.
Victory card, +1VP.

I like the simplicity. "Renovate" is still an unused synonym, sounds vaguely like Renaissance, too, which is cute.
  What's the problem with the standard wording of "Gain a card costing up to ② more than it"? If you don't want someone to mill Provinces or something, you can say "a differently named card" like Displace does. And I think it's fine to permit people to get cheaper cards, if they so wish. Remodel variants quite appreciate that flexibility.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7916 on: December 22, 2020, 12:58:58 am »
+1

Revised Submission:

At it's most basic level, Archaeologist can be used to get rid of Ruins from your deck; however, it can also be used to turbo-charge an Action card that you play on your turn.

Revisions to original version:
- Made Archaeologist non-terminal and prevented it from being called after playing a Command card (e.g. itself), in order to slow it down a bit
- Addressed the potential swinginess by making it play Ruins from the trash rather than each player's Exile mat
- Removed the requirement for it to play differently named Ruins, but instead capped it at playing 32 Ruins from the trash
- Revised wording as per Gubump's suggestion

Quote from: Original Submissions
Version 2:
Version 1:
Archaeologist
+1 Action
You may Exile a Ruins from your hand or the Supply. Put this on your Tavern mat.
-
When you play an Action card, you may call this to play any number of differently named Ruins on your Exile mat, leaving them there.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 03:15:16 am by Timinou »

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7917 on: December 22, 2020, 01:26:06 am »

Edit: Added Looter to the card type.

Archaeologist
+1 Action
You may Exile a Ruins from your hand or the Supply. Put this on your Tavern mat.
-
When you play an Action card, you may call this to play any number of differently named Ruins on your Exile mat, leaving them there.

At it's most basic level, this can be used to get rid of Ruins from your deck; however, it can also be used to turbo-charge an Action card that you play on your turn.  I've priced it at $2 because it takes a bit of work and you are somewhat at the mercy of how the Ruins deck is shuffled.

Rules clarification: You can play the differently named Ruins on your Exile mat in any order.  I'm not sure if that needs to be on the card, or if it is self-explanatory.
I think this should be worth more than two, because with enough plays of it, you'll surpass a village () quite quickly

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #7918 on: December 22, 2020, 01:46:33 am »
+3

Archaeologist
+1 Action
-

At it's most basic level, this can be used to get rid of Ruins from your deck; however, it can also be used to turbo-charge an Action card that you play on your turn.  I've priced it at $2 because it takes a bit of work and you are somewhat at the mercy of how the Ruins deck is shuffled.

Rules clarification: You can play the differently named Ruins on your Exile mat in any order.  I'm not sure if that needs to be on the card, or if it is self-explanatory.

1. This should copy the wording of Coin of the Realm and Royal Carriage's call effects: "Directly after you finish playing an Action card, you may call this..."
2. Is it intentional that you can play an Archaeologist and then immediately call it on itself?
3. This card has a similar design flaw to Card tokens (the hypothetical Coffers of +Cards): Once you get both a Ruined Village and a Ruined Library in Exile (and you don't even need the Village if called after playing a non-terminal), players will almost always just call it as soon as they have the opportunity and have Actions left over, which kind of defeats the purpose of it being a Reserve card. Unlike the other vanilla effects, you pretty much always want +Cards as soon as possible rather than saving them for the opportune moment.
EDIT:
4. I think this is too swingy based on the way the Ruins pile is shuffled. If Alice gets to Exile a Ruined Library from the Supply, she's a lot better off than Bob, who only Exiled a Survivors. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that it can't play multiple copies of the same Ruin, so Bob could get completely screwed over by getting 4 Survivors in a row while Alice gets 4 different Ruins.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 01:52:35 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7919 on: December 22, 2020, 02:28:04 am »

Archaeologist
+1 Action
-

1. This should copy the wording of Coin of the Realm and Royal Carriage's call effects: "Directly after you finish playing an Action card, you may call this..."
2. Is it intentional that you can play an Archaeologist and then immediately call it on itself?
3. This card has a similar design flaw to Card tokens (the hypothetical Coffers of +Cards): Once you get both a Ruined Village and a Ruined Library in Exile (and you don't even need the Village if called after playing a non-terminal), players will almost always just call it as soon as they have the opportunity and have Actions left over, which kind of defeats the purpose of it being a Reserve card. Unlike the other vanilla effects, you pretty much always want +Cards as soon as possible rather than saving them for the opportune moment.
EDIT:
4. I think this is too swingy based on the way the Ruins pile is shuffled. If Alice gets to Exile a Ruined Library from the Supply, she's a lot better off than Bob, who only Exiled a Survivors. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that it can't play multiple copies of the same Ruin, so Bob could get completely screwed over by getting 4 Survivors in a row while Alice gets 4 different Ruins.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll review the wording based on Coin of the Realm.  I agree that there is randomness involved here, but I think the scenario you mentioned has a very low probability of happening. I also don't agree that you would always want to call Archaeologist for +cards as soon as possible. 

In any case, I'll think about the cost a bit more and will see if there is a way to mitigate the randomness.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #7920 on: December 22, 2020, 03:37:26 am »
+2

Yard Sale - $0
Event

Once per turn: Gain a non-Victory card costing exactly $1 per card you have discarded this turn.

EDIT: Restricted to non-Victory cards.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 07:15:31 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #7921 on: December 22, 2020, 03:55:55 am »
+4

Cascade (Action, $5)

You may play an Action card costing less than this from your hand three times.

A KC variant that only works for cheaper cards.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7922 on: December 22, 2020, 05:30:37 am »
+1

You can further simplify the text:

"Setup: Set aside two different* unused non-Command Action cards costing $3 or less."

See Black Market and Way of the Mouse.

*If that is your intention.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #7923 on: December 22, 2020, 07:22:54 am »

Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7924 on: December 22, 2020, 07:44:34 am »

Yard Sale - $4
Event

Once per turn: Gain a card costing exactly $1 per card you have discarded this turn.

Do I understand this correctly that when a player buys Yard Sale only cards count that have been discarded before?

Edit: I just saw that the costs differ between image and text.

Cascade (Action, $5)

You may play an Action card costing less than this from your hand three times.

A KC variant that only works for cheaper cards.

i like the idea. i made cardimage for it (not sure i understand what cascade means in this instance tho)

(heres the card image generator link for it https://shardofhonor.github.io/dominion-card-generator/?title=Cascade&description=You%20may%20play%20an%20Action%20card%20costing%20less%20than%20this%20from%20your%20hand%20three%20times.&type=action&credit=art%3A%20marcus%20stone%2C%201891&creator=v1.0%20mandioca15&price=5%24&preview=&type2=&color2split=1&boldkeys=&picture-x=0&picture-y=0&picture-zoom=1&picture=%5Blocal%20image%5D&expansion=&custom-icon=&color0=0&color1=0&size=0

You messed up the cost. It should be $5 (not 5$). Also, the "A" in Action should be larger.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 08:23:29 am by gambit05 »
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 20 queries.