Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546615 times)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #7850 on: December 16, 2020, 09:17:55 am »

The problem is that trashing instead of Exiling matters most for Victory cards. The other situations in which it matters are either esoteric, like slim Garden games (e.g. gain Coppers, trash them to Exile them) or again TfB to trash good stuff and later get it back.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #7851 on: December 16, 2020, 09:54:03 am »

The problem is that trashing instead of Exiling matters most for Victory cards. The other situations in which it matters are either esoteric, like slim Garden games (e.g. gain Coppers, trash them to Exile them) or again TfB to trash good stuff and later get it back.

I would probably adjust the cost of Amnesty and/or instead of restricting it to non-Victory cards, restrict it to cards costing up to X.  I think it is still quite useful with remodelers and other TfB cards.  It also mitigates the impact of some trashing attacks.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #7852 on: December 16, 2020, 10:19:19 am »
+3

For Intrigue, to lean into the Victory card themes of the set.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7853 on: December 16, 2020, 10:37:52 am »

Cool idea, but slightly political. (Suppose we're 3p, discarding a victory card will give +x utility for you, but discarding a Treasure -y for me, with x > y, what do I choose?)

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #7854 on: December 16, 2020, 01:53:42 pm »

For Intrigue, to lean into the Victory card themes of the set.

Clarification question. How does Bounty work with Action-Victory cards? With Bounty, when you play Dame Josephine on your Treasure phase,do you get +2$ and you attack other players? Do you choose one of those options, but you are allowed to choose either while playing in your treasure phase? Same questions apply for all the action-victory cards. Another question -- Pasture is currently a treasure worth $1. Bounty says also so does that mean Pasture is worth $1 and worth $2? Is it now a gold?

Normally I'd suggest a way to resolve these ambiguities, but I feel that offering specific suggestions is a little unfair of me for a judge. It also feels unfair for me to hold back on a suggestion too, but I guess that's the choice I'm landing on today. Best of luck designing the card to clarify these confusing points!

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7855 on: December 16, 2020, 02:38:59 pm »

I'm replacing my previous submission with a Landmark for Alchemy.

Alchemy provides some of the most powerful engine parts in Dominion, but novice players often don't like the expansion due to the awkwardness of Potions.  This provides some additional incentive to add Potions to your deck.  It would be good to playtest a few variations (e.g. 9VP per 3 Potions you have), but this is the version I am submitting:

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7856 on: December 16, 2020, 02:49:03 pm »

How about 5VP if you have at least two potions? The only situation where buying more for VP would ever be worth it is Vineyards, which don't need a buff.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7857 on: December 16, 2020, 02:54:05 pm »

Alchemy provides some of the most powerful engine parts in Dominion, but novice players often don't like the expansion due to the awkwardness of Potions.  This provides some additional incentive to add Potions to your deck.  It would be good to playtest a few variations (e.g. 9VP per 3 Potions you have), but this is the version I am submitting:

Unfortunately, the majority of games don't have Potion cost cards, and thus no Potions. It would need a special set up.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #7858 on: December 16, 2020, 02:54:44 pm »

that seems like to much vp for potions to me. 2 potions is 8 money, , and 8 money for 5 vp is a good deal. i fear that potions will keep being picked up too much untill endgame and risk dragging the game out.

also, there are plenty of games where 1 potion is the optimal number, so having it be per 2 potions might give novice players the wrong idea and maybe burn them on potions. i think i like just giving "2vp" per potion more . i am by no means an expert designer tho

Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #7859 on: December 16, 2020, 03:08:27 pm »
+2

A simple one for the base set:

Dome (Landmark)

When scoring, -1VP per Copper you have.

This nudges newer players towards the idea that trashing weak cards is a good thing to do.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #7860 on: December 16, 2020, 04:26:12 pm »
+1

A simple one for the base set:

Dome (Landmark)

When scoring, -1VP per Copper you have.

This nudges newer players towards the idea that trashing weak cards is a good thing to do.

liked your idea enough that i made a card of it in the card image generator
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 04:28:44 pm by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7861 on: December 16, 2020, 04:41:13 pm »

This looks like a boring version of Tomb.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #7862 on: December 17, 2020, 02:46:41 am »
+2

A Way for Cornucopia. +1 Action gives life to otherwise useless terminals, but only if it's the only copy.
This is stronger than an ordinary Way, probably on par with Mouse.

Way of the Silkworm
If you don't have other copies of this in play,
+1 Action, +1 Card, +$1

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #7863 on: December 17, 2020, 03:06:47 am »
+1

A project for Menagerie that's like a bigger Way of the Mouse.

Cat Tower
$4 - Project
When you play an action card, instead of following its instructions, you may play the card set aside with this, leaving it there.
-
Setup: Set aside an unused action card costing $4.

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #7864 on: December 17, 2020, 03:34:38 am »

Consulate: a project for empires. It was originally just provinces, but I think adding colonies, farmland, and fairgrounds makes it a bit more interesting.

I feel like i would like this more in Adventures, and have the cost be much lower (say, 3€) and instead give you a range of negative penalties via Tokens like the minus card token and the -coin token. it would have to be renamed tho

I feel like I would like this more in Guilds, and have it be an Event called Jennifer that gives +Coffers.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 03:37:05 am by spheremonk »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7865 on: December 17, 2020, 03:47:14 am »
+1

Nocture, obviously. Should probably be a nocturnal animal but Bear it is:

Note that this is not an Attack, so Reactions are not triggered. There is a smart way to deal with this which Carline showed some time ago: you make the Way play a non-Supply, non-ever-gainable Attack card.
I think that is a totally fine solution. But as Hexes are random and weakish anyway (which is why Nocturne can get away with two non-terminal Hexers) I think it is OK to have to deal with unblockable Skulks.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7866 on: December 17, 2020, 04:18:12 am »

Nocture, obviously. Should probably be a nocturnal animal but Bear it is:

Note that this is not an Attack, so Reactions are not triggered. There is a smart way to deal with this which Carline showed some time ago: you make the Way play a non-Supply, non-ever-gainable Attack card.
I think that is a totally fine solution. But as Hexes are random and weakish anyway (which is why Nocturne can get away with two non-terminal Hexers) I think it is OK to have to deal with unblockable Skulks.

This will be quite brutal in games including Shelters.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7867 on: December 17, 2020, 04:35:22 am »

I honestly think that it is OK. Necro with Way of the Horse is a Lab while an unblockable Skulk without the extra Buy and the Gold is not something you usually want (which is the power level any Way should aim for, weaker than a $2 respectively Kingdom card at any price).

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7868 on: December 17, 2020, 04:47:41 am »
+1

I honestly think that it is OK. Necro with Way of the Horse is a Lab while an unblockable Skulk without the extra Buy and the Gold is not something you usually want (which is the power level any Way should aim for, weaker than a $2 respectively Kingdom card at any price).

I agree with the general power level of Way of the Bear, but the opening turns with Necropolis can devastating and swingy. It is not about whether the players want a Skulk without the extra features, they already have it.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7869 on: December 17, 2020, 06:15:34 am »

Sure, but the effect is nonetheless a < $2 effect. Necro with Way of the Horse is a Laboratory, which is a $5 effect and thus far stronger. It is not just Lab's net effect of +1 Card, it makes Necro non-dead (except for those situations in which you actually play Necro as itself) so it is like +2 Cards.

You are right about the swinginess, but that is a general feature of Hexes.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7870 on: December 17, 2020, 01:43:05 pm »

How about 5VP if you have at least two potions? The only situation where buying more for VP would ever be worth it is Vineyards, which don't need a buff.

You're right that you probably wouldn't want to buy more than two Potions for VP in most situations, but I'd rather keep it as-is just to allow for some variability.  It could be useful in some endgame scenarios as an alternative to Provinces or Duchies. 

Are you concerned that this would encourage players to empty out the Potions pile?  With Bibliotheca, Potions are potentially worth slightly more than Obelisks.  I think that's fine because more often than not, having multiple copies of an Action card will be more useful / less detrimental than multiple Potions.

Unfortunately, the majority of games don't have Potion cost cards, and thus no Potions. It would need a special set up.

For the purposes of this contest, I didn't think it would be an issue since if this is added to Alchemy, then chances are you would have a card with a Potion cost.  In any case, I take your point and will add a setup clause to add Potions to the Supply if not already on the board.

that seems like to much vp for potions to me. 2 potions is 8 money, , and 8 money for 5 vp is a good deal. i fear that potions will keep being picked up too much untill endgame and risk dragging the game out.

also, there are plenty of games where 1 potion is the optimal number, so having it be per 2 potions might give novice players the wrong idea and maybe burn them on potions. i think i like just giving "2vp" per potion more . i am by no means an expert designer tho

8 money for 5VP is a good deal, but worse than buying a Province and moreover you clog your deck with an additional card (granted that you can spend the money on two separate turns).
It also seems like you would get better slightly value with Potions ($0.625 per VP) than Duchies ($0.6 per VP), but this is mitigated by the fact that you need more buys to get sufficient Potions and you need to ensure that you have an even number to optimize the scoring.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 01:57:55 pm by Timinou »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7871 on: December 17, 2020, 02:06:24 pm »

Are you concerned that this would encourage players to empty out the Potions pile?  With Bibliotheca, Potions are potentially worth slightly more than Obelisks.  I think that's fine because more often than not, having multiple copies of an Action card will be more useful / less detrimental than multiple Potions.

Concerned? No. It'll happen sometimes, but rarely, which seems fine.

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7872 on: December 19, 2020, 01:06:42 pm »

24 hour Warning Submission

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7873 on: December 19, 2020, 01:14:25 pm »
+2

You're right that you probably wouldn't want to buy more than two Potions for VP in most situations, but I'd rather keep it as-is just to allow for some variability.  It could be useful in some endgame scenarios as an alternative to Provinces or Duchies. 

For the purposes of this contest, I didn't think it would be an issue since if this is added to Alchemy, then chances are you would have a card with a Potion cost.  In any case, I take your point and will add a setup clause to add Potions to the Supply if not already on the board.

8 money for 5VP is a good deal, but worse than buying a Province and moreover you clog your deck with an additional card (granted that you can spend the money on two separate turns).
It also seems like you would get better slightly value with Potions ($0.625 per VP) than Duchies ($0.6 per VP), but this is mitigated by the fact that you need more buys to get sufficient Potions and you need to ensure that you have an even number to optimize the scoring.
Island or Cemetery are $4 2VP Victory cards with a cherry on top. So Potion for (something slightly worse than) 2.5 VP should be totally fine. What I like most about the Landmark is that it works independent of the existence of Kingdom cards with Potion cost.

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7874 on: December 19, 2020, 01:47:13 pm »
+4

EDITED: this used to have a big list of all the card submissions for this contest.. For clarity of people looking through this thread in the future, I have removed that so there isn't this big post clogging up while looking through the threads.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 02:23:23 pm by anordinaryman »
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 20 queries.