Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1541869 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #7075 on: September 14, 2020, 10:45:05 am »

This looks interesting, but I am not sure I understand the card.
Since this is a large pile, I assume that you expect that this will be massively bought. But isn't the best strategy, after one player overpaid and trashed copies of Marshland, that other players just buy it for the regular cost? I can't see the benefit for the overpaying player, but I am sure I miss something as I often do.
The benefit would be to either end the game or empty this pile on the turn you overpay for it. If you think about how to best counter such a strategy, maybe you can see the idea I had when designing this card.

The pile is larger because a lot of it will likely end up being trashed.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 10:47:26 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +441
    • View Profile
« Reply #7076 on: September 14, 2020, 10:54:16 am »
+4

Not sure if it fits the content, but it makes any card more valuable at death

Animate
$5 - Event
Gain an Action card costing up to $4.
Move your Spirit token onto its supply pile.
(When you trash a card from that pile, gain a Ghost)
There is one Spirit token per player, similar to Trashing or Ferry tokens.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7077 on: September 14, 2020, 11:47:29 am »

This looks interesting, but I am not sure I understand the card.
Since this is a large pile, I assume that you expect that this will be massively bought. But isn't the best strategy, after one player overpaid and trashed copies of Marshland, that other players just buy it for the regular cost? I can't see the benefit for the overpaying player, but I am sure I miss something as I often do.
The benefit would be to either end the game or empty this pile on the turn you overpay for it. If you think about how to best counter such a strategy, maybe you can see the idea I had when designing this card.

The pile is larger because a lot of it will likely end up being trashed.

I have seen those strategies, but I thought why the heck is the pile so large. So, you increased the size of the pile to counteract such strategies on one hand, but on the other hand, the prize gets hotter. Clever.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #7078 on: September 14, 2020, 11:55:07 am »

Not sure if it fits the content, but it makes any card more valuable at death

Animate
$5 - Event
Gain an Action card costing up to $4.
Move your Spirit token onto its supply pile.
(When you trash a card from that pile, gain a Ghost)
There is one Spirit token per player, similar to Trashing or Ferry tokens.

Is it too strong to allow you to gain any Spirit rather than specifically Ghost?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +491
    • View Profile
« Reply #7079 on: September 14, 2020, 02:14:49 pm »
+3

Contest #87: Worth More Dead Than Alive Submission

Angel - Companion - $2
When you gain this, you may trash your hand.

When you trash this, gain an Action card costing up to $3.

Opening double Angel and getting to a third Angel could be pretty important (trashing 1 or 2 Angels with the third one) If there were 10 copies of this card, a 4 player game could hinge dramatically on turn order and luck.

Fortunately, Angel has a new card type with it that helps with this problem. It's a Companion. What does that mean? Companions have specific rules for card setup: I have updated the rules based on feedback after this. Ignore crossed out lines
  • You play with the same number of Companions in the supply as Victory Cards. (8 for 2 player, 12 for 3-4, etc)
  • Companion supply piles are separated into separate supply piles for each player. So, in a 3 player game, each player has their own pile of 4 copies they can gain.
  • Players can only gain and buy Companions from the Supply if they are in their pile. (trash gainers can be used to gain any Companion from the trash)
  • In order for a supply pile with a card type with Companion to be empty, every single copy has to have exited the supply. This can happen before a province merging or after.
  • Once the first Province is gained, all companions that are copies of the same card merge to a single pile. Now, anyone can buy/gain them.

Essentially, Companions allow equal access to a card in the early game.

Angel isn't an Action or Treasure card. It is not playable. It is very strong trasher, and may have you skipping chapel, perhaps.

I've gone a lot of directions with the on trash benefit. Another method was "up to 4 that does not have +$ amounts in its text." An idea is to not make Angel/Angel/Angel the automatic opening for all card setups. However, even if it's super powerful, each player has equal access to do it because they are Companions.

It costs 2 because costing it 3 could really screw over the 5/2 opener.

Open to feedback!

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 07:09:18 pm by anordinaryman »

chronostrike

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #7080 on: September 14, 2020, 02:36:51 pm »

Curator - Action, $2* cost.
+1 Action
Play any number of differently named Treasures from your hand for + $1 each.
-
This costs $1 more per differently named card you have in play. When you trash this, gain a card costing up to this cost; if it's an Action or Treasure, set it aside, and if you do, play it.
Put simply, an investment card; get it early, and it pays off late. If you don't like the money it gives, change it for what else you need, including Victories (even another Curator, if you need more Actions). In the absence of trashing, there are a couple of other niche uses.
I've been fumbling around with balance tweaks for a while, and thought in the end that different names scale into the late game but conveniently cap so tfb can't go completely crazy.

Edit: name and wording changes.
I'm not sure I understand what happens when you play this.  If I lay down a Copper, a Silver, and a Gold; do I get 1+2+3+3 = $9?

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #7081 on: September 14, 2020, 03:22:14 pm »

Curator - Action, $2* cost.
+1 Action
Play any number of differently named Treasures from your hand for + $1 each.
-
This costs $1 more per differently named card you have in play. When you trash this, gain a card costing up to this cost; if it's an Action or Treasure, set it aside, and if you do, play it.
Put simply, an investment card; get it early, and it pays off late. If you don't like the money it gives, change it for what else you need, including Victories (even another Curator, if you need more Actions). In the absence of trashing, there are a couple of other niche uses.
I've been fumbling around with balance tweaks for a while, and thought in the end that different names scale into the late game but conveniently cap so tfb can't go completely crazy.

Edit: name and wording changes.
I'm not sure I understand what happens when you play this.  If I lay down a Copper, a Silver, and a Gold; do I get 1+2+3+3 = $9?
That's right; you could also play a platinum for 1+2+3+5, +4 for Curator. If that looks strong, it's a fair bit of work to line up, scales into the late game to match the scaling trash bonus (and also helps the trash by increasing Curator's cost), and it's not easy to repeat.

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7082 on: September 14, 2020, 03:57:00 pm »
+1

Marshland - $4+
Victory

Worth 1 VP per copy of this in the trash.
-
When you buy this, you may overpay for it, to trash a copy of this from the supply per $1 you overpaid.

There are 1.5 times as many copies of this in the supply as for a regular Victory card, i.e. 12 for 2 players and 18 for 3-4 players.

I love this concept! However, it may be too powerful at costing 4. The first player to buy a province would pay 8 for this. If they are able to afford 8 again, they have leveled up them to be both worth more than a province, and there’s only 2 left in supply (for 2 player game)

Could you cost this 5 and have it have some benefit. Like an action card that can trash a card from your hand for +1$? I just worry costing it 4 is a little too strong .

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7083 on: September 14, 2020, 03:57:31 pm »
+1

Angel - Companion - $2

Opening double Angel and getting to a third Angel could be pretty important (trashing 1 or 2 Angels with the third one) If there were 10 copies of this card, a 4 player game could hinge dramatically on turn order and luck.

Fortunately, Angel has a new card type with it that helps with this problem. It's a Companion. What does that mean? Companions have specific rules for card setup:
  • You play with the same number of Companions in the supply as Victory Cards. (8 for 2 player, 12 for 3-4, etc)
  • The single supply pile starts separated into even amounts for each players. So, in a 3 player game, each player has their own pile of 4 copies.
  • You may only gain and buy Companions if they are in your pile.
  • Once the first Province is gained, all companions that are copies of the same card merge to a single pile. Now, anyone can buy/gain them.
  • In order for a supply pile with a card type with Companion to be empty, every single copy has to exited the supply. This can happen before a province merging or after.

Angel isn't an Action or Treasure card. It is not playable. It is very strong trasher, and may have you skipping chapel, perhaps.

I've gone a lot of directions with the on trash benefit. Another method was "up to 4 that does not have +$ amounts in its text." An idea is to not make Angel/Angel/Angel the automatic opening for all card setups. However, even if it's super powerful, each player has equal access to do it because they are Companions.

Open to feedback!

I am sure you have spend hours and hours for this mechanic and it looks like an interesting approach. I have been working though the set of rules of Companion cards for an hour or so, and I think I got it now more or less. Isn't it a bit too complex to introduce this all at once?

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7084 on: September 14, 2020, 04:29:04 pm »

Angel - Companion - $2

Fortunately, Angel has a new card type with it that helps with this problem. It's a Companion. What does that mean? Companions have specific rules for card setup:
  • The single supply pile starts separated into even amounts for each players. So, in a 3 player game, each player has their own pile of 4 copies.
  • In order for a supply pile with a card type with Companion to be empty, every single copy has to exited the supply. This can happen before a province merging or after.

Open to feedback!

I am sure you have spend hours and hours for this mechanic and it looks like an interesting approach. I have been working though the set of rules of Companion cards for an hour or so, and I think I got it now more or less. Isn't it a bit too complex to introduce this all at once?

Hm, thank you so much for taking the time to puzzle through it! It’s my intention that this wasn’t so complicated. Any ideas on how to clarify it through better phrasing?

As far as introducing it all at once, this is a mechanic similar to heirlooms. It specifies set up rules. I have other card ideas that use Companion. For angel, I needed to solve two problems:
1. The possible 4 player turn order issue as mentioned above
2. This card has no types. (It’s not even a reaction).
Using the companion card type was the best thing way I was able to address both issues.
I could make this a victory card, but that felt tacked on just to give it a type. To me it would be inelegant.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #7085 on: September 14, 2020, 04:35:13 pm »
+1

Making the Companion piles combine after buying a Province seems tacked on and a bit too confusing for no reason.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7086 on: September 14, 2020, 04:53:55 pm »
+1

Hm, thank you so much for taking the time to puzzle through it! It’s my intention that this wasn’t so complicated. Any ideas on how to clarify it through better phrasing?

As far as introducing it all at once, this is a mechanic similar to heirlooms. It specifies set up rules. I have other card ideas that use Companion. For angel, I needed to solve two problems:
1. The possible 4 player turn order issue as mentioned above
2. This card has no types. (It’s not even a reaction).
Using the companion card type was the best thing way I was able to address both issues.
I could make this a victory card, but that felt tacked on just to give it a type. To me it would be inelegant.

I think it is great to have Companions that you cannot play, i.e. only having on gain/when trash abilities. However, I wouldn't make a whole pile of them (maybe one or two for each player), and not merging them after a Province is gained (or any other condition). It may come a bit close to Events, but it is far less confusing. I would stick to the basic principle (Companion type and no other types), but try to simplify it. Could be an interesting concept.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3182
    • View Profile
« Reply #7087 on: September 14, 2020, 04:58:58 pm »

The first player to buy a province would pay 8 for this. If they are able to afford 8 again, they have leveled up them to be both worth more than a province, and there’s only 2 left in supply (for 2 player game)

That's not how it works. If the first player buys this for 8, the second says 'lol', buys it for 4, and is ahead.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +580
    • View Profile
« Reply #7088 on: September 14, 2020, 06:02:06 pm »
+2

Angel - Companion - $2

Open to feedback!

This is a really cool idea and it reinforces the Solitaire aspect of Dominion, which is not something that I expected to be this interesting. I Think the only mechanic that may trip up my group is remembering to merge the piles when the Province trigger happens. I like the idea and would be interested to see what other cards you would design to be Companions. Angel itself seem really strong, and probably would not be added to my groups card rotation, but I commend the design of the Companion mechanic.

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7089 on: September 14, 2020, 06:55:56 pm »
+1

Angel - Companion - $2

Open to feedback!

This is a really cool idea and it reinforces the Solitaire aspect of Dominion, which is not something that I expected to be this interesting. I Think the only mechanic that may trip up my group is remembering to merge the piles when the Province trigger happens. I like the idea and would be interested to see what other cards you would design to be Companions. Angel itself seem really strong, and probably would not be added to my groups card rotation, but I commend the design of the Companion mechanic.

Thanks for all the feedback. I've decided to remove the province merging aspect of this for simplicity. My original intention was for that rule to allow it to pile out even if strategies differ. I realize now, thanks to everyone's feedback, that it isn't worth dealing with that.

I've updated the original post up above.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1413
    • View Profile
« Reply #7090 on: September 15, 2020, 01:08:40 am »
+1

Nothing against new types, but why not simply make it a pure Reaction?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #7091 on: September 15, 2020, 01:21:00 am »
+2

Other cards with on-gain or on-trash abilities aren’t reactions though. Not that they couldn’t have been, but as I understand it, the reason they aren’t is because reactions happen when the card is in a hidden place; usually your hand, but maybe your discard. Though Patron seems to be a weird exception, it’s a reaction even though it is always publicly visible at the time that it is reacting.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7092 on: September 15, 2020, 07:04:58 am »

love this concept! However, it may be too powerful at costing 4. The first player to buy a province would pay 8 for this. If they are able to afford 8 again, they have leveled up them to be both worth more than a province, and there’s only 2 left in supply (for 2 player game)

Could you cost this 5 and have it have some benefit. Like an action card that can trash a card from your hand for +1$? I just worry costing it 4 is a little too strong .
I've already wondered whether $4 is too high rather than too low. I mean sure, one player could do what you describe, leaving 2 copies in the supply, but if they do, then the opponent can just grab the remaining 2 for half the price, so the analysis there isn't really complete.

And I think this already has enough going on, I wouldn't want to tack an extra ability onto it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 07:06:35 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1413
    • View Profile
« Reply #7093 on: September 15, 2020, 02:16:04 pm »
+2

Other cards with on-gain or on-trash abilities aren’t reactions though. Not that they couldn’t have been, but as I understand it, the reason they aren’t is because reactions happen when the card is in a hidden place; usually your hand, but maybe your discard. Though Patron seems to be a weird exception, it’s a reaction even though it is always publicly visible at the time that it is reacting.
Sure, but if you don't want to create a new type, it can only be a Reaction.

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7094 on: September 15, 2020, 05:12:45 pm »

Yup. Angel doesn’t function as a Reaction in the same way cultist does not function as a reaction.

Also, I had to increase the pile so in a 4 player game, if the best opening is Angel/Angel/Angel, players 3 and 4 don’t get screwed. And, if you wanted to delay your angel opening and trash a bigger hand later, you have the option to do so since as a Companion, your copies are saved for you.

There’s another solution of making it a Victory card, but adding Vp to this muddled the core idea. A victory card also doesn’t allow the “save for later” that Companion type does.

Knowing those answers, do you still think Companion doesn’t make sense?

Thanks for the feedback! As always I am grateful and upvote helpful  discussion on my cards.

love this concept! However, it may be too powerful at costing 4. The first player to buy a province would pay 8 for this. If they are able to afford 8 again, they have leveled up them to be both worth more than a province, and there’s only 2 left in supply (for 2 player game)

I've already wondered whether $4 is too high rather than too low. I mean sure, one player could do what you describe, leaving 2 copies in the supply, but if they do, then the opponent can just grab the remaining 2 for half the price, so the analysis there isn't really complete.

And I think this already has enough going on, I wouldn't want to tack an extra ability onto it.

I agree. After posting I realized it would be too much going on. I think 4 is pretty easy to pile out, and I never buy a province at first if they are in the supply. It’s guaranteed it to be worth as much or more than a province for the same price. If you cost it 5, I sometimes buy it over my first province. So I think 5 is more interesting there.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 05:23:02 pm by anordinaryman »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2107
    • View Profile
« Reply #7095 on: September 15, 2020, 11:07:57 pm »
+1

I would recommend making Angel one of the existing types for interactions. With a treasure (opening up some fun gaining and trashing interactions) you could clarify it does nothing on play with $0 signs in the top corners.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 11:49:52 pm by NoMoreFun »

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #7096 on: September 17, 2020, 01:06:02 am »

I think all reaction cards are visible when react (or are made visible by the reaction) and possible hidden before being triggered and Patron is not an exception (for instance, Moat also has to be revealed to react).

Patron is different because it's the only reaction without "you may" in the text. With the others, you can choose to make them visible or not, but, if you want to trigger the intendend effect of the reaction, you have to make them visible.

With some cards (Inn, Ambassador, Courtier and Gladiator, for example), you may sometimes choose if you want to reveal a Patron or not. In these cases, it works like the other reactions (revealing it and trigger the effect is optional). So, it's different from on trashing or on gaining effects, in which the target card (of trash or gain) is by definition already chosen and revealed when the act that trigger the effect occurs and so there's no more the option to not reveal that card.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 03:18:40 am by Carline »

chronostrike

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7097 on: September 18, 2020, 08:41:00 am »
+4

I am in the last stages of testing and will announce results later today.

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7098 on: September 18, 2020, 01:31:14 pm »

I would recommend making Angel one of the existing types for interactions. With a treasure (opening up some fun gaining and trashing interactions) you could clarify it does nothing on play with $0 signs in the top corners.

Thank you, I hadn’t thought of that! A treasure pile with 12 copies would solve most design considerations. (It does not provide the ability to save for later that companions do, as someone could Buy your copies). I find it inelegant to have a playable card that does nothing on play. I appreciate your feedback, but I’m sticking with Companion.

I already have designs for a complementary Devil (a companion that attacks on gain), a Companion that remodels a card when gained or trashed, a Companion that grants an extra turn, and more. It’s a rich design space, and perhaps it seems overly complicated to introduce for just one card. I still think it’s the most elegant way to solve the design issues with Angel that other solutions do not solve.

I’m okay with not allowing those interactions — night cards don’t allow those interactions to expand dominion to create non victory cards that aren’t playable during action or buy phase. I’ve expanded it to create non victory cards that aren’t playable in any phase.

Thank you again for your feedback

chronostrike

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7099 on: September 19, 2020, 01:42:05 am »
+5

Agistor by Fragasnap
This is more like Research than Apprentice, and I treated it accordingly.  The major advantage over Research is that Agistor does not dud if you have already drawn your deck.  You also get the interesting self synergy of trashing a Horse to Agistor and netting two Horses.  Animal Fair plays very well with it, offering a compelling benefit no matter which trashes the other.  In fact, you will probably do both during the game.

Angel by anordinaryman
A very interesting design space but also a highly centralizing specific card.  The most important effect that I noticed is that many $3 cards are not appealing anymore after opening Angel/Angel/Angel, so I would usually find myself gaining Silver.  I think the strength of the trashing needs to be cut back.  Please explore this card type more.

Animate by Grep
This one gets wild with self-trashing cards, promoting Pixie or Raze rushes, which, incidentally, is a good reason that it doesn't hand out Imps.  The smaller number of Ghosts compared to typical piles makes a good limiting factor.  Still, it can't go completely off the rails because you have to buy other actions so that you don't end up in a Village Idiot type situation where your Ghosts have no good targets.

Attendant by Marpharos
The on-trash effect is very useful to complement other trashers, but the on play is too inconsistent and minor to justify putting in the deck.  If you can regularly trigger two of the effects, you are probably choking on victory or curse cards.

Charity by spineflu
This is another $5 Gold with drawback like Cache or Contraband, but the drawback here is especially painful.  You might spike to a useful price point, but you are also making it much easier for your opponent to do the same.  It does not seem worth it.  Other cards in the same design space (Governor, Council Room) have much greater disparities between the benefit to your and to your opponent.  On top of that, $4<4> is a very high price to get the card into your deck while not playing nice with TfB cards, and buying it specifically to gain the Wish later seems like a wasted opportunity to buy the card you want now.

Curator by Aquila
I apologize, I never got around to testing this one.  It like that the money it can generate gets high for its cost but is necessarily limited by the turn count.  The synergy with draw-to-x is also very nice.  Keeping track of the cost in irl games seems like a chore, and the "set it aside" clause is overkill.  The gain is already rather strong.

Dandelion Field by Xen3k
Similar pile-out math to Rubber Duchy below.  The noteworthy differences are that it is not an eternal junk card in your deck and thus safer to buy earlier and that the payoff conditions may be met over multiple turns.  Appeals to the Distant Lands enthusiast who wants to get away with not spending actions.

Glade (Lost Book) by Rhodos
This pair offers very strong trashing once and weaker trashing otherwise.  It doesn't lend itself to over-trashing and is much better on the 3/4 split than other Woodcutter variants because of getting an Estate out of your deck, though then you have to calculate when it is worth it to have two Woodcutters in your deck in order to get rid of 4 Coppers--too early and you risk terminal collision.  Glade plays well with TfB cards by getting rid of the cards that are poor targets while supplying a nice $4 if necessary, especially if you want to risk buying that extra Glade specifically to trash one more junk card.

Grindstone (Scraps) by alion8me
Grindstone is certainly too powerful.  Five cards for $5 is more than the more expensive Hunting Grounds even if it does have a drawback.  On the other hand, Scraps is very fun.  It makes for a nice Ruins-like card with a hidden advantage.  I would like to see other cards that make use of it, though it needs a different name after Menagerie in order to prevent confusion.

Insurance by majiponi
This one sees its best work in kingdoms with trashing attacks or self-trashing cards and a little less good with Remodel Variants.  It can pick up Golds that were Remodeled into Provinces, but, by the point in the game when that is happening, you may not have time to take advantage of it.  Being cavalier about trashing engine pieces will be more safe with this.

Junkyard by mail-mi
Junkyard is like a Shepherd that provides its own fuel.  It has the potential to choke your deck, but this is reduced by pairing it with other sources of draw.  The calculus surrounding megaturns is very interesting: not only do you have to weigh trashing the Junkyard for that small bit of extra draw, but you may have already emptied the Ruins by that point in the game, making every Junkyard harder to activate.  Be careful that you have not helped your opponent three-pile you.

Marshland by faust
Marshland plays very differently in different kingdoms.  Ample gainers and you have a Gardens rush.  No buys or gains and you have a sort of overpay chicken.  There are bizarre interactions with Rogue and Graverobber since you can actually make the value go down instead of up.  Is it really a benefit to trash my copy when my opponent is holding his?  I would have to play this many more times before I really understand it.

Reconstruct by silverspawn
This card reminds me of a cross between Feast and Treasure Map.  The set up is hard, and the pay off is not very interesting.  Managing to play two in one turn and trash a third on the second play is enough for a Province, but that is three buys, good village support, and plenty of draw/sifting to get it to happen.  It is a better card in games with Desperation or Pooka as a way to lessen the blow of cursing yourself (also giving Pooka more to churn) or if there are especially good $2 cards for burning your estates.

Refinery by Jonatan Djurachkovitch
This card also plays differently in different kingdoms.  It reminds me of the bimodal Nocturne cards like Tragic Hero that could work for different strategies but have to be manipulated carefully to make it happen.  It plays especially well with other gainers.

Rubber Duchy by LibraryAdventurer
A very amusing card.  It has certain qualities in common with Feodum: a TfB target that leaves behind more targets.  The major difference in that respect is that Feodum gives you payload after you crack it, whereas Rubber Duchy is the payload itself, but only if you can trash it twice in one turn.  The set-up rules also make Duchy-dancing less effective but simultaneously easier if you have the buys or gains.  I did not play enough games to tell, but I expect pile outs are a big deal.

Silver Ore by lompeluiten
Silver Ore spikes really hard due to the coffers.  It might be par without trashing, but with trashing, the extra coffers get you into a runaway loop.  Spices is already pretty strong, and Spices BM relies on the coffers to run smoothly.  Silver Ore, at $3, is a lot easier to get a larger pile of coffers out of (even if you are missing out on the buys).  I feel like it ought to cost more or cost less with reduced effect.

Snake Oil/Charlatan by D782802859
Snake Oil makes an interesting comparison with Mill.  Effectively having fewer Estates and more Coppers in your deck improves the average cost of cards you are buying early, though it is less impressive than Mill for that purpose unless you have support like cheap extra buys.  The on-trash effect is very nice for giving one last boost at the point when it has outlived its usefulness. 
Charlatan, on the other hand, is overtly powerful.  If it was its own pile, it would be wildly overpowered.  In one of my games, I used it to gain or buy a total of 5 Provinces and a Duchy in one turn.  That is definitely a split you can not afford to lose.  I would still price it higher because playing three actions total with the option to play treasures instead is all the best parts of Crown and Procession simultaneously.

Strategic Village by NoMoreFun
I played a game with this and Bishop which went sideways.  My opponents took advantage of my Bishop plays to get their own Hirelings on the board.  One did not even get his own trashers.  Speaking of Hireling, I think this is overpowered at $4.  It is far to easy to get that permanent +1 card.  The consideration of needing the bonus action could give pause on the decision to trash but not when other villages are present.  I find the balance on that decision very lopsided.

Valkyrie by gambit05
It looks balanced on its own, but it spirals out of hand with the right trasher or exiler.  Catapult, for example, is not especially fast, but it does easily get 6 different cards into the trash by itself.  Valkyrie handles the exiling side and then gets trashed at the right time for a giant pile of tokens (plus a Curse to your opponent for good measure).  I am not sure how to balance it because it seems either grindingly slow or bananas with no middle ground.

Wand by mandioca15
If you trash the card by the end of the game, there is no drawback, and you don't even lose buying power for doing so.  Far too powerful.

Way of the Tardigrade by grrgrrgrr
Absolutely bonkers.  Village+Death Cart is $10 without much effort.  Hermit makes an entire functional deck out of cards that cost 3 or less.  Urchin draws your entire deck.  The concept is a lot of fun, but it requires some sort of limiting factor, perhaps setting aside the card to be discarded at clean-up.

Winner: Marshland by faust  (7-3i points out of 10, would get confused again)
Runners-up: Junkyard by mail-mi, Dandelion Field by Zen3k and Rubber Duchy by LibraryAdventurer
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 20 queries.